Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think this thread itself has gone a long way to answer the original question. We've seen relatively articulate and sane people deny that gun violence is even an issue in America, deny that meaningful gun control is possible, express a feeling of persecution at the notion that anyone would question their right to own an AR-15, and, repeatedly and I think most insightfully, gone on long diatribes attacking gun control advocates personally. On this internet comedy website I've been called the worst names ever in my life, honestly, just for vaguely supporting gun control. To the gun fandom, "anti-gunners" are weak, pathetic, stupid, incapable of logic, unlovable, unemployable, impotent, etc. I've been called all of those things on this site, (most) only ever in the context of random hate in a gun control debate. And I don't even talk about gun control much, on this site or elsewhere. Even articulate people will go on at length about how illogical, naive, emotional, and ignorant gun-control advocates are. As someone from outside the toxic American gun culture you can judge that sort of broad opprobrium yourself.

And ironically my family owns five guns, although I personally don't, and I enjoy shooting.

What I'm saying is that American gun culture is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

it is posted:

Actually, making suicide more inconvenient is a great way to prevent suicide. Suicide isn't like murder; people aren't so determined to kill themselves that they'll use whatever method they have available. They'll psych themselves up to it and if that doesn't pan out and they're forced to reconsider they almost universally regret it. An example: putting nets and fences next to bridges actually reduces the overall suicide rate of the surrounding area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_barrier

Murder isn't like this either; the unstoppable psychopath home invader is a suburban boogeyman more than a reality. In real life, murder rates go down when its raining. Violent criminals are in fact human beings and subject to the same trivial motivations as the rest of us.

• Locked thread