Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I jut made it through this thread and I saw a bunch of people praise rightly world at war. One of the weird realizations of the perspective of time I have now that I'm heading toward middle age is that that documentary was roughly the same number of years distant from ww2 that we are from say the first gulf war. Far enough to have some reasonable perspective, not so far that there weren't a lot of primary or near primary actors still alive and lucid enough to give fantastic interviews.

Another one I haven't seen mentioned is "victory at sea" which I ate up as a kid. It was made much more closely from the end of the war and as such has a more propaganda film feeling, but i still enjoyed the poo poo out of it. Ymmv.

Another thing i haven't yet seen mention is the battle of midway cast in Mahan-Ian terms. It's been said over and over that Yamamoto saw the US as an undefeatable enemy, but I don't think he saw the 1941 pacific fleet as such. One big victory is what his doctrine called for and that's what he was looking for at Pearl Harbor and at midway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

That is, they based things around their only possible path to victory

This is pretty much it. After the US stopped selling the Japanese oil, they were pretty much forced to attack south to the DEI to get their own and because the Americans would likely stand up for Dutch colonial interests, they had to be dealt with. Somehow. Their only hope was victory in a single big Mahanian battle against the US Navy and a negotiated peace. They missed a knockout blow at Pearl Harbor, stalemated at Coral Sea, and lost at Midway. It was never in doubt after Midway, but by that point the Japanese wouldnt or couldnt back out.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

504 posted:

So in an attempt to ensure British supremacy they threw their whole empire into a meat grinder?

There may be a lesson there.

Well they didn't expect it was going to be a meat grinder at the beginning.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Thing about speculating how WWII could have gone differently- American carriers crushed at Midway, Germany repels the D-Day landings, etc- all that may not have changed the eventual outcome.

Fast forward to August-September 1945 and cities start getting vaporized until the bad guys surrender. The USAAF ordered the B-36 sight unseen in 43 and its development would have been accelerated to make intercontinental bombing possible by 46. Just in time for mass production of atomic bombs.

If you look at it just in dollar terms, the B-29 program was bigger than the manhattan project.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Germany repels the D-Day landings, etc- all that may not have changed the eventual outcome.

The only thing to speculate here if the Germany repels the D-Day landings is whether the Soviets choose to stop at the Pyrenees or continue to push their boots up Franco's rear end.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wasn't the whole point that he b-29 flew above the ceiling of Japanese fighters? I think they flew lower in the mass bombings of tokyo, but Wikipedia says the a-bomb was dropped from way the gently caress up.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

It would have to drop nukes because it wasn't going to hit poo poo with a conventional bomb that high that fast.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I got lost in a Reddit post this morning. This guy put together a fantastic Imgur album of captioned pictures from the Ulithi atoll which was used as a supply and repair point in the late pacific war. A Seabee he quotes calls it "The largest anchorage known to man in the history of planet Earth.”

http://imgur.com/a/mOvzk

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Communism promises consumer gratification?

You think iPhones make themselves?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Last Buffalo posted:

Was there any field of tech that the Germans had a dominant edge in for significant amounts of the war? My understanding is that the tank design was not light years ahead of the soviets(just good doctrine and people for a while) and they only had only a few breakthroughs in air power. They also had poor signals intelligence and code breaking compared to their enemies and obviously lovely progress when it came to nuclear weapons programs. Was there any area that one of the worlds former science meccas was able to produce great results compared to its enemies?

Jet engines and rocketry. Pretty much all modern aircraft and spacecraft can trace their lineage to Nazi Germany.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hitler's biggest mistake was starting the war in the first place. Everything after that is just details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don't know much about this but supposing the regional character, does this Prussian character influence the desire for eastward expansion?

• Locked thread