Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Screw it, I can't miss out on a BIF! There's too much beer here in the Cincinnati area so i need to unload some of it on you guys.

sterster posted:

gently caress it signed up. What's the consequence if I fail to ship by the 16th?

In my experience, you become consumed with guilt and throw in a few more grumblers and beers from your cellar in a desperate plea for forgiveness from the beer gods.

Edit: I'd like be $$$anta, but most of the local brewery-only stuff isn't quite to whale status yet, there's plenty of incredible beer around here, it just doesn't have anyone trading their firstborn child for it quite yet...

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Lt_Tofu posted:

Haha, maybe I was more heated then I should have been. Just seems people are intimidated by it. Going to stick to yelling at the kids in my yard, if I only owned a yard.

"Intimidated" is the right word. I've only shipped and traded beer four times; and those trades happen to be the four previous BIFs here on SA. I've loved sending out beer from here that's near and dear to me, and every box I've received has been amazing. The only perspective I have for the trading game is from local beer groups where wagging your beer dick around is the name of the game. I read "brewery only" and "90+ BA rating" and I start to question whether or not the box of my favorite locals would live up to a more experienced trader sending their A-game to me.

Long story short, I really like beer, and i really want to share my beer, and someone here is getting a box of beer that I think is pretty great. All hail the BIF!

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

ReaperUnreal posted:

Well I for one hope I get beer from you. Sending from Canada is a bit strange, I have easy access to what people associate with Canadian beer, namely Peche Mortel and Unibroue stuff. But that's boring, there's so much more cool stuff, but it's not rated 90+ on BA because BA is really for American drinkers and rare brewery releases here well have maybe 5 or 10 reviews.

What I'm saying is, I hope whoever gets me likes the relatively unheard of stuff I send them.

The last thing I want to do is have someone disappointed by the box I send them vs. the box they sent out. A lot of you guys have regular access to some world renowned, god-tier beers. I do too, but I don't at the same time. I have a dozen different beers that you'd never get to try outside of the OH/KY area that would knock your socks off, they're just not talked about the same way...

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 9, 2015

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
I may just bubble-wrap myself and jump in the box I'm sending out, it'd certainly be cheaper than the trans-continental airfare, and only slightly less cramped.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
A bomb-proof box from Wisconsin, courtesy of Wet Tie Affair showed up today!

The kitties were also impressed by the packing job...

I sent a box to him in a previous BIF, and he must have liked it, because this is the haul he sent to me this round:

From left to right:

Revolution "Fistmas"
What's a Christmas box without a Christmas beer?

Homebrew "Black IPA"
Homebrews are the best beer box bonus.

Surly "Abrasive"

Central Waters "Bourbon Barrel Stout" (2014 and 2015)
I love verticals, I always try to include one in the BIF boxes I send out. These two plus the Seventeen will help myself, friends and family stay quite merry for Christmas.

August Schell "Dawn of Aurora"
A "starkbier" Berliner Weisse that was aged in an almost century old cypress lagering tank. Sounds tasty!

Central Waters "Seventeen"
This was the gift-wrapped beer. I was going to wait until Christmas to open it, but Wet Tie Affair's thoughtful note spoiled the surprise of what was inside :) It's a blend of barrel-aged stouts released at the brewery for their 17th anniversary.

O'so "Wheat You Talkin' 'Bout Willis?" (Brandy Barrel)
A brandy barrel aged wheat-wine? Sign me the gently caress up!!!

Toppling Goliath "Pompeii"
I've never tried anything from TG, but i've heard nothing but good things. A Mosaic IPA (my favorite hop) seems like a good place to start!

New Glarus "Scream"
New Glarus "Berliner Weisse"
New Glarus "Milk Stout"

It wouldn't be a Wisconsin box without New Glarus beer! I haven't tried any of these, and it sounds like these are some of their most solid offerings. My first taste of New Glarus was less than glamorous (but still good!) and I've had a few bottles from them make there way to me and I've loved all of them.

Thanks for the great box, Wet Tie Affair! Cheers!

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 18, 2015

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Apparently I drink way too much Philly beer, but HatfulOfHollow absolutely killed it with this box:

Beerdy Claws sent me Telemachus last year, it was delicious! What are the Tired Hands and F&M bottles there in the middle?

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

LeafHouse posted:

Nice! Anyone else still expecting a box?

Lt. Tofu should be receiving his box at his holiday vacation destination today. Fedex tracking hasn't updated since I dropped the box off Saturday :ohdear: and it was scheduled to be delivered today.

Kruster tells me he had the same issue and the package was delivered, so i'm waiting another day before I start worrying about all that precious beer.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Lt_Tofu posted:

No need to worry anymore! Fedex dropped off your box while I was out hiking yesterday, and what a haul it was. Merkin Muffley did some detective work to make sure I haven't had any of these beers!

Going left to right.

Upland Barrel Chested
Against the Grain Rico Suave
Mad Tree Axis Mundi
Mad Tree Are You Ready Some Darkness
Founder's Backwood Bastard x2
Off Color Le Predateur
Off Color Dino Smores
Rivertown Ojos Negros
Jackie O's Dark Apparition
Rhinegeist Stryker
Rhinegeist Pure Fury
Rhinegeist Truth

Thanks, I am super excited about all of these. Especally Dino Smores, that went straight to the fridge for later!

Phew!!! I started stressing when I checked this morning and it switched to "No Scheduled Delivery" Glad it all arrived intact!

Oh, and root around in the packing peanuts, there's a can of a treasured Cincinnati delicacy in there too :) You might have grabbed it actually, the picture isn't loading for me.

Cheers!

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

danbanana posted:

Is it that loving bullshit you people call "chili?"

You're goddamn right it is!

Its really not chili though, but it is delicious. Pour some on a hot dog with mustard and a fuckton of cheese, or on spaghetti with beans and a fuckton of cheese. Raw onion and hot sauce are encouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Lt_Tofu posted:

Oh man, I totally missed that. Going to eat that for breakfast with tons of cheese and hot sauce! Also I fixed my imgur link, so everyone can see the tapes.

Unless your dumping it on a slice of goetta (Cincy breakfast style, pan-fried with a fried egg on top and and a biscuit to use as an edible spoon), i'd save it for a drunken dinner on top of spaghetti... Cincy chili isn't really meant to be eaten by itself. Follow the recipe in the beer note I sent you and I promise you wont be disappointed.

Also, gently caress you danbanana. I'd talk poo poo about your Billy Goat Burgers, weird salad hot-dogs and pizza casseroles, but they've all been pretty good in my experience, and I kind of want to take a trip to Chicago now...

• Locked thread