Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

In as a ¢anta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Lt_Tofu posted:

I think it would be easier to just have one standard for the BIF. It's a holiday about generosity. Let's not be goony and sperg out on how many bottles are brewery only etc. I'm sure the magi's gifts weren't refused for not including a specially wrapped bottle of franksense or whatever...

Both lists are reasonably well-populated I think, no need to rock the metaphorical sleigh

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah, it'd be easier. The thing is that the beer community here includes a wide variety of people. We've got some people who are just discovering IPAs and others who have huge cellars and literally ship pallets of beer back home when they're on vacation. Adding $$$anta is my way of trying to accommodate both ends of the spectrum. I didn't want to exclude people by making it the only option so I offered it up a choice for experienced beer nerds who wanted to do something bigger that involves more limited bottles. If there was an uproar about it or if few people signed up I'd have removed it.

I've run 3 other BIFs here and it's my experience that if you don't spell out all the requirements you run the risk of people sending dramatically different boxes which can lead to a lot of feelbads. I'm willing to be the one who looks like a spergy hardass if it means everyone leaves happy with what they've sent and received.

I thought it was a good idea as well, fwiw. I could $$$anta easily, but I ¢anta'd instead because it's just better financially for me at the moment and I am gonna be happy with whatever I get anyway. Not every BIF needs to be tiered, but since this is like the fourth or fifth one and the first to be tiered, it's good.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Welp I've finished shopping and my box is going out tomorrow. I think my biffee is really gonna enjoy it

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Box is going out tonight or early tomorrow. My target apparently loves Sours, but I can't pass up sending some awesome Michigan BA stouts his way...

Yeah my recipient said sours, IPAs, and gose so that's exactly what he's getting

I was shopping and saw plenty of wintry beers, but then I started actually buying stuff and realized I was already over budget so rip stouts

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Whoever sent me a box, I got it but I'm away from home for the weekend. I'll get to it as soon as I get back!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ChiTownEddie posted:

Just got an awesome holiday beer box from ChickenArise!

From left to right:
Lickinghole Creek Brewery - Vanilla Virginia Black Bear: Russian Imperial Stout
Epic Brewing - Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout: Imperial Stout with cocoa nibs and coffee added aged in whiskey barrels
Terrapin Beer - So fresh & so green, green: Fresh Hop IPA
3 Stars Brewing - Peppercorn Saison: Saison brewed with green, white, and pink peppercorns
Hardywood - Gingerbread Stout: Imperial milk stout with local ginger and honey
Lickinghole Creek Brewery - Bourbon Barrel Three Chopt Tripel: Aggressively hopped barrel aged Tripel

Very freaking cool. I don't think I've had beers from any of the breweries besides Terrapin and they all sound great. Especially excited for the barrel aged Tripel and the Equinox freshly hopped IPA.
Also pretty sure the Gingerbread Stout is getting opened tonight for game night.

I am curious which is the one you have never tried.

Anyway thank you very much ChickenArise!!

BBB is such a good beer for being plentiful and available all the drat time. And cheap too, especially for the ABV

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

What about the catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Got this from...someone in VA. Please speak up!

Mad Elf, BB Gingerbread Stout, Port City Porter, The Admiral, Ways and Means, Perpetual IPA, Vignette, Troegnator, Double Duckpin, Old Pro, Vanilla Virginia Black Bear, Blue Monday, and Resolute.

Also included was a horcrux of intoxication, aka sweet-rear end bottle opener. Very nice box, mystery friend. I really look forward to working my way though it! Haven't had any of it before, but it all sounds really delicious. I will post updates as I get through the various beers.

• Locked thread