Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Welcome to another exciting SA Beer it Forward!!

This is for posters in the Let's Talk Beer thread. If you don't post there but are interested in taking part in the next BIF head over HERE and start chatting us up about beer!

How It Works
You send great beer to a fellow beer thread goon and then you get some back from someone else!

What's Involved
Read everything below and ensure it all makes sense to you. If you have any questions PLEASE ASK! At the end I’ll link a signup form which you must fill out and then post in the thread to be entered in the BIF. This round there are going to be 2 options for your BIF experience. Details are below. If there is not enough interest in either option I’ll revise the BIF accordingly.

Rules
1. You must have at least 30 posts in the Beer Thread as of 12/1 to participate
2. You must have an account at least 6 months old and a reasonable post history.
3. You must be knowledgeable enough about beer to put together a quality box.
4. All boxes must contain at least $50 worth of beer. Send a box that you’d be excited to receive. Do not send beer they can get in their area. Do your research, if you don’t know then ask!
5. All beers sent must be very delicious. Nobody wants to send out their best and get a box of lovely local brown ales.
6. One special bottle wrapped with gift wrap must be included.

For the record, do not send a full sixer of a beer to your BIFee. The point of this is to try a variety of the best a region has to offer. This is to ensure people feel comfortable shipping and to make it easier for folks to pick out things you really will enjoy! If you use Untappd or Beer Advocate or any other beer related site feel free to link it on the form, though Untappd spoils the surprise I suppose.

$$$anta
If you’re an experienced trader with a cellar and want to go big on this round then sign up as a $$$anta! They have higher requirements than the standard and will be on a separate chain from the regular entries. You must have 60 posts minimum and have traded with someone on the forums before to sign up for this. $$$antas must send $75 worth of beer and at least 1 item of swag (Tshirt, glass, tacker etc.). 4 of the bottles sent must be brewery only or very limited distro. One special gift wrapped bottle must be included. This should be the highlight of your box so pick something good!

How to Start BIFing
Step 1: Fill out this form!
Step 2: Post in this thread!! If you do not post here you are not in the BIF
Step 4: Wait for me to assign you a shippee
Step 5: Ship Beer!
Step 6: Post a picture of your haul (This is required!)

Deadlines
Sign-Up Deadline: 12/7 at 5 PM
Receive Assignments by: 12/8
Ship By: 12/16

Notes & Helpful Things

Do not ship via USPS - it's illegal and can get you thrown in federal pound me in the rear end prison.

Pack Well! If a bottle breaks in transit you must replace it.

Use Seekabrew.com to ensure the beer you're send is not found in your shippee's state! Don't send them something they could just pull off the shelf at the local liquor store. (Exception for "rare" beers that are hard to get) If you ever have any doubts about what is available in your BIFees area, PLEASE let us know in the thread! There are tons of helpful folks from all over the USA who will be happy to message you and give you some guidance as far as what they do and do not get in their area.

Summary

Regular -
Send a box with $50 worth of delicious beer that your BIFee couldn’t typically purchase. Include one gift wrapped bottle that is especially good and preferably of limited availability.

$$$anta -
Send a box with $75 worth of delicious beer and 1 extra piece of swag. 4 bottles must be brewery only or limited releases. One special gift wrapped bottle must be included as well.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Reserved for shipping help, etc.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Ooh good call. I'll add that to the form.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

The form has been updated!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

90 on BA is pretty high criteria. That would mean stuff like Tired Hands Astral Plane couldn't be included and as myself and noted forums poster Furious Lobster can tell you, that beer is pretty darn good.

Why do you value the terrible palates of BA posters so highly? Is this some sort of elaborate troll? The people want answers.

PS - my lovely local brown ale is a good beer :colbert:

edit - SaisonHands only has an 88 on BA. ffs. also 88 lol.

Do you think the BA rating requirement should be removed entirely or lowered?

A BA rating requirement is just the easiest way to help prevent crappy beer from being sent out as far as I see it.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Alright I removed the BA rating requirement! As long as it is very delicious beer you can send it regardless of what the Alstrom Brothers & Co. have to say about it.

As a side note, please write a real letter to Santa. If Santa doesn't have a clue what kinda poo poo you like you're gonna end up with a box of brown ales like HatfulOfHollow!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

sterster posted:

gently caress it signed up. What's the consequence if I fail to ship by the 16th?

You ruin someones Christmas and become the Grinch.

then I kill you

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

nosleep posted:

I'm in. Thanks for setting this up again LeafHouse. You were my first BIF'er and sent me my first ever bottle of BCBS. Cheers!

Happy to do it! Haha, awesome glad you enjoyed it enough to take part again! Hopefully you get lucky and get another all-star BIFer this time ;)

ReaperUnreal posted:

I'm signed up. Come on other Canadians! Sign up! Do it!

Unfortunately we'll need a US shipping address for any Canadian folks looking to get in on this. We've had some issues in the past with shipping outside the USA.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

ReaperUnreal posted:

Is shipping Canada->Canada not an option? Given any other Canadians of course. That said, I did submit a US address as well.

Oh, yeah I can do that.

Wet Tie Affair posted:

The other 4 were fun, so I'm in for this one as well. Thanks for putting another one of these together, LeafHouse!

You're welcome!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Lt_Tofu posted:

I think it would be easier to just have one standard for the BIF. It's a holiday about generosity. Let's not be goony and sperg out on how many bottles are brewery only etc. I'm sure the magi's gifts weren't refused for not including a specially wrapped bottle of franksense or whatever...

Yeah, it'd be easier. The thing is that the beer community here includes a wide variety of people. We've got some people who are just discovering IPAs and others who have huge cellars and literally ship pallets of beer back home when they're on vacation. Adding $$$anta is my way of trying to accommodate both ends of the spectrum. I didn't want to exclude people by making it the only option so I offered it up for beer nerds who wanted to do something a little more expensive that involves limited bottles etc. If there was an uproar about it or if few people signed up I'd have removed it.

I've run 3 other BIFs here and it's my experience that if you don't spell out all the requirements you run the risk of people sending dramatically different boxes which can lead to a lot of feelbads. I'm willing to be the one who looks like a spergy hardass if it means everyone leaves happy with what they've sent and received.

Edit: Changed some wording around. Don't want it to sound like the regular version is meant just for people new to beer or anything.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 8, 2015

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Eejit posted:

I thought it was a good idea as well, fwiw. I could $$$anta easily, but I ¢anta'd instead because it's just better financially for me at the moment and I am gonna be happy with whatever I get anyway. Not every BIF needs to be tiered, but since this is like the fourth or fifth one and the first to be tiered, it's good.

Thanks for the input! I'm sure everybody will be happy with their boxes regardless of which one they're doing.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

sterster posted:

Can you add brewery stickers to my Santa list and Meads as a like/want?

Done and done!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Can you Soleil de Minuit to my $$$anta list?

Sure, did you want that instead of Loerik or should I leave both?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

a worthy uhh posted:

Less jokes, more BIF assignments :bahgawd:

I'll have em all out later tonight when I'm done working.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Sorry for the intimidating OP! I was out of control with the BA rating requirement, the last BIF I did had one so I carried it over. Thanks for talking me down on that one. Relax, have fun and send then drink some really awesome beer!

Letters have been sent out to everyone! Let me know if you have any questions on anything or if yours got lost on its way to you.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Do you guys normally give hints in the thread in previous years? That can be fun.

Not normally but that sounds like fun to me so let's do it.

krustster posted:

Don't worry too much about the $$$$$$$anta thing, it looks like the intended audience was reached based on the response.

Also after getting my Santa letter I worry that mine was too vague...oh well!! Rolling the dice is fun!!

Yours was certainly not the most vague letter to go out so no worries haha.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

My BIFee likes Stouts, Sours and IPAs. Anybody know where I can get those in Chicago???

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah adding a note is a good idea for sure.

Deadline is in 4 days!

Yeah people are welcome to go through me. I've had a few PM me already.
vv

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 13, 2015

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Holy poo poo a worthy uhh just killed it!! Pictures to come later tonight when I recover from shock.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

From left to right:

Oceanus Procellarum ( I think..) by Harvest Moon - I had a hard time reading the name of this beer but everything you need to know about it is at the bottom of the label anyhow. Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon and 5 different chili peppers! Sounds fantastic.

Mezcal Milkshake by Brothers - I am both excited and worried about this one. A sweet imperial milk stout aged in tequila barrels and finished on orange zest.

Futnote by Brothers - This sounds insanely complex and delicious. A bright belgian base 100% wild fermented with brett brux and lambicus. They then added lacto, aged it in cabernet barrels for 15 months and finished it with a blend of 5 fruits. :drat:

Rosso e Marrone by Captain Lawrence - 2009 GABF gold medal winning wine BA'd sour with grapes. Yeah, I'll drink that for sure.

Tired Hands Teku with a funky smoking termite!

Dochter Seizoen by Forest & Main - Barrel aged saison ft. a knight hitting a bald eagle pinata thing.

Hapi by Forest & Main - A dry hopped barrel aged ale. The label makes it clear that animals of all types will be excited to try this beer.

Cross Pollination by Plan Bee and Newburgh x2 - 100% New York sourced ingredients sour ale brewed with rose hips and grape must. It took me until this morning to realize the wax is stamped differently on these. Apparently one bottle was fermented with honey yeast from Plan Bee and the other was fermented on Newburghs house yeast. Super cool! I almost cracked one of these last night and now I'm really glad I didn't because obviously they will need to be done side by side.

Shambolic by Tired Hands - Oak Foudre fermented Saison dry hopped with Nelson and Simcoe. I love Tired Hands and their saison game is top notch, looking forward to this baby!

Pourison by Tired Hands - :chanpop: an oak fermented peach saison?? Hell yeah I love peaches!!

Le Roar Grrrz Melange by Bullfrog - Wowowow :ducksiren: :ducksiren: :ducksiren: barrel aged sour with aroniaberries (no clue wtf those are but all berries are cool with me) blueberries, and cherries! I've been hearing about the Grrrz forever but have yet to try any, can't wait to crack this baby!

I have no idea where to start on this box. I gotta go make some friends because I can't handle all these rad tapes on my own. Everything sounds so drat good! God help me I'm even excited about the tequila barrel aged one...

TL:DR a worthy uhh is fuckin awesome

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Some drat fine lookin boxes!

If there is anyone who has yet to ship out please post (or pm me) and let us know!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Are the beers in the back row unrelated? If not then let's see a pic of them!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

mrcowcow posted:

Opened the wrapped items this morning:

2015 Black Gold, 2015? Dark Lord, FFF pint glass, and a Cigar City Leon barrel stave bottle opener. Thanks so much LeafHouse, this is awesome.

Yep that's 2015. You're welcome! I had a Black Gold last night and drat is that beer fantastic. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Nice! Anyone else still expecting a box?

Nth Doctor posted:

Mrs. Doctor has already laid claim to the bottle (howler?) from Beyond The Pale.

I believe growlito is the proper terminology.

• Locked thread