Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Shima Honnou posted:

That works well in smaller places but once you hit mass retail my experience has been they'll turn you away if you try to meet a manager before being called in for an interview directly.

I used to be a service desk monkey at a big box retail store. Part of my job was to turn away idiots who came in with just a resume and a "Hey, can I speak to your hiring manager?" You do that, you'll get the standard "put in your app on the computer, don't call us we'll call you" bs.

If you actually want to get an on the spot interview at one of these stores? Here's what you do:

-First, put in the goddamn application on the goddamn computer. There's no way to hire you without one, it's a HR thing. The managers have to have one to put you through, it doesn't matter if you're retail jesus you need to sit down and go through an hour of computerized testing that has blatantly correct answers.
-Next, come in with your resume, and know what department you want to work in. I cannot emphasize this enough. You want to talk to a manager, and you want to talk to that specific manager. If they're not there that day, come back later. Each department generally does it's own hiring, if you ask for a job from a Service team lead expect to be a cashier. And for the love of god, don't ask for the 'hiring manager'. Just ask to speak with the manager, and be nice about it. Service drones gossip like crazy, and you don't want to be 'that one rear end in a top hat who thinks he can just waltz in and get a job'.
-You got the manager's attention? Good, now sell yourself like you're the next hot thing. And while you don't want to come in wearing ratty sweats, you don't want to dress like you're going to a funeral either. Business cloths - slacks, button down shirt, maybe a tie if that's your thing. This is retail, if you have really nice cloths what are you doing coming in and interviewing for a minimum wage job anyways?

Of course, this all requires that there's a position that needs to be filled. But big box retail sucks, people quit or get fired all the time.

Ayana fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread