Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My company just switched to an application system that requires people to record themselves responding to a few screening questions. The HR people are all super excited about it while the newer people who still have fresh memories of the bullshit you have to go through to apply for jobs are all universally "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!" The hiring manager says it's a ton easier to filter out people who are just shotgunning resumes vs actually want the job that way but it's still terrible for job applicants.

The funny thing is literally nobody actually wants that job, everyone who's applying at your company is probably shotgunning because they're just looking for a place that will actually hire and pay them. I know, I remember job searching in the mid-late 2000s, it was a loving hellscape where you unironically start considering MLM as a drat possibility just because you can actually break into it unlike most major chains who never get back to you because there's 5,000 people applying for every 1 opening. Hope that poo poo doesn't spread further out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

moana posted:

My husband has applied to a half dozen min wage jobs over the past few years (self storage, construction, music studio work), and has gotten almost all of them despite having no experience or qualifications. The key is getting in to meet the person who is doing the hiring. Then smile, nod, and listen to them talk. You will not get anywhere mass emailing resumes to places. You have to show up and show them that you're not a dumbshit and can handle human interaction. The last thing he applied to had an online form to fill out OR you could go in for a studio tour with the guy who was hiring. He got a job offer at the end of the tour. SHOW UP.

That works well in smaller places but once you hit mass retail my experience has been they'll turn you away if you try to meet a manager before being called in for an interview directly.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
No other options.
Worthless degree.
Field with no openings because everyone who gets into it hangs on for grim death.
Fired from or left a better job in a field with no openings.
No degree at all because you can't afford college either monetarily or mentally to get a degree that isn't worthless.
Had the luck to be born or raised in an area with no good work and poo poo paying work kinda makes it hard to move or get started somewhere where there is good paying work.
Did dumb poo poo when you were younger (Probably because your parents met one or more of the above), caught a felony, options pretty much withered from there.

There's over 7 billion people out there and pretty much everything costs money and almost everyone needs either a job or someone who makes enough to support them. There's always going to be a vast, vast field of low to minimum paying jobs to support that population, and a shitload of basically hopeless people that have to fill it either willingly or not.

• Locked thread