Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My husband has applied to a half dozen min wage jobs over the past few years (self storage, construction, music studio work), and has gotten almost all of them despite having no experience or qualifications. The key is getting in to meet the person who is doing the hiring. Then smile, nod, and listen to them talk. You will not get anywhere mass emailing resumes to places. You have to show up and show them that you're not a dumbshit and can handle human interaction. The last thing he applied to had an online form to fill out OR you could go in for a studio tour with the guy who was hiring. He got a job offer at the end of the tour. SHOW UP.

Saeku posted:

Meanwhile, a lot of small businesses just skip posting online because you get enough good applicants from walk-ins and word of mouth, and you don't need to deal with interacting with hundreds of Craigslist users.
Absolutely this. Walk around your city and you'll find "Hiring" signs everywhere that don't show up on Craigslist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

effectual posted:

You're not missing out if you don't work for a big chain.
Yeah, to be fair, I've never worked for a large company but I don't feel like I'm missing much. Small places are more flexible and once you prove yourself, it's much easier to get ahead in the company. Once you hit the top in a small company, then you can jump ship to a larger one if you feel you're being stifled.

• Locked thread