Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait no, nevermind, shut the gently caress up about stupid spreadsheets and look at what they did—

https://i.imgur.com/U5czDme.gifv

you ready for the machinegun apocalypse? 9 days left...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Huh, wonder how they're going to handle the modeling for its torso hardpoints. In BT canon those massive jet intake lookin' things are the heavy gauss barrels, but they don't mesh at all with the modular weapon models that MWO uses for stuff.

Aside from that, hmm. 100 tons, decent'ish profile. The side torso are gently caress-off huge, but it has a much better vertical profile compared to the other 100-ton assaults. ECM on some variants. I'm not sure about those hardpoints... 4B is less than you want for 100-ton dakka, but 5B looks decent for gauss vomit, heavy or regular. Everything with missiles is probably DoA.

Nothing about it screams awesome to me, but it's well rounded enough that quirks could definitely make it relevant.

I took the barrels I photoshopped onto that from my Grid Iron Hunchback which has a massive loving barrel with that dumb little hexagon sticking out of it; that should tell you everything you need to know about what the Fafnir will look like.

It's almost certainly going to wind up being strictly worse than the Annihilator. The ANH has Atlas-level armor quirks for some reason even though it's got way better hardpoints and torso twist, and the only thing the Fafnir does that the ANH does not is the ECM. So the Fafnir won't have better armor quirks and it won't have a better torso twist (though it will probably be comparable) but what it will have is giant, easy-to-isolate rectangular hitboxes.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Fafnir is probably my favorite mech so I will probably actually get in on this.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

aniviron posted:

It's almost certainly going to wind up being strictly worse than the Annihilator. The ANH has Atlas-level armor quirks for some reason even though it's got way better hardpoints and torso twist, and the only thing the Fafnir does that the ANH does not is the ECM. So the Fafnir won't have better armor quirks and it won't have a better torso twist (though it will probably be comparable) but what it will have is giant easy-to-isolate rectangular hitboxes.

The Annihilator does leave IS 100-tonners in a weird place. They over quirked it so hard to compensate for the horrid geometry that anything looking to compete has to offer some serious advantages to be relevant. On paper, the Fafnir doesn't have that, but we haven't seen the quirks or mobility yet. I could see them giving it Cyclopes level mobility to help distinguish it from its lumbering kin.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Need general permissions in the discord channel when someone has a chance to get around to it.

Edit: Nevermind, found the bot.

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 6, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Fafnir has baby arms.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Yardbomb posted:

So how do I make this goofy rear end Bushwacker? I assume BSW-P1 for the six missile hardpoints but got a smurfy link or something I could take notes off?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=504&l=90f3a477e4d42a83fb7428d3f5d5c3b046b56888

Enjoy.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Hey dreadman / Robodread, we are in the Hitlerbaby's Heroes Discord, sorry I missed your message.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

For scouting, less ammo more engine.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

is the urbanmech still the best mech

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Ostentatious posted:

WOOP WOOP IT'S DA SOUND OF DA POLICE

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ostentatious posted:

Looks like your last posts are from Jan. of last year. If you haven't played since then and you like Urbanmechs, then you're in for a treat. They got roided out with quirks and became legit good. Grab yourself a K-9 if you have the MC to spare and annoy people with the silly police sirens.

Builds:
MPL Poke
ML Brawl

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The mech bay sale finally ended, goodnight sweet prince, I got so many new bays to fill thanks to that paired with the stocking clicks giving MC as often as they do, it felt like every other click I was getting a 25 or a 30 or a 50.

Also I got a new one, what's a good mech for PPCs? How's the Annihilator fare with them? I was eyeballing getting one of them regardless though, so if the answer's poorly then feel free to point me the right direction.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 7, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Rysithusiku posted:

WOOP WOOP IT'S DA SOUND OF DA POLICE

This was objectively the correct answer. I even tweeted it at Bullock a while back.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Yardbomb posted:

The mech bay sale finally ended, goodnight sweet prince, I got so many new bays to fill thanks to that paired with the stocking clicks giving MC as often as they do, it felt like every other click I was getting a 25 or a 30 or a 50.

Also I got a new one, what's a good mech for PPCs? How's the Annihilator fare with them? I was eyeballing getting one of them regardless though, so if the answer's poorly then feel free to point me the right direction.

Warhawk-Prime with 4 ERPPCs and 28 heat sinks

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Yardbomb posted:

Pattonesque posted:

Warhawk-Prime with 4 ERPPCs and 28 heat sinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUoLJQ6xWaM

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

:captainpop:

Alright, you've sold me on it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah basically you play it like this: max out your range trees, pick a spot with good sightlines, and punish anything within a kilometer that decides to poke its head out of cover. you want to create space for your team by denying it to your enemies

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah basically you play it like this: max out your range trees, pick a spot with good sightlines, and punish anything within a kilometer that decides to poke its head out of cover. you want to create space for your team by denying it to your enemies

As well, you benefit more from cool run and heat cap skills, so pick those before the lower heat gen skills.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I believe the -c is the best one to start with, due to the heat gen quirks on the arms. They nerfed the like 10% it used to get, but that model is the best for a few reasons:

Warhawks are one of the legacy clan mechs thats still fairly heavily/wierdly quirked. Here's a shortlist:
Legs actaully give bonuses. There's a pair that's 5% turn. Yes, that means there's reverse speed legs. on an assault.
-C models are all the structure bonused one. -c rightarm has actuators, also a CT hardpoint others don't get. (its this way because its supposed to do 2lpl + 2ppc, not 4 ppc, which actually works out.
Set of 8 quirks that are decent.

The PPC centric one(prime?) has velocity bonuses iirc, but also worse/poorer heat gen stuff on weapon pods.
If you want to brawl, one of the only mechs that can mount 2 uac20 with native jam reduction before tree.

Of the remaining assaults i have, its defintiely a favorite fuckaround mech.

I have a -b as well and the extra missile hardpoint doesn't seem to be worth it, but I also haven't really messed round with it since newtech. Any ideas for salvaging it?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I run the WHK-B with dual UAC10s and SRM6s: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=193&l=f28c58af4557c02a22fc24499838844d471663c0

It really doesn't look like much but the jam chance quirk makes it a monster.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I'm also going to comment that, oddly, AMS can be super valuable for IS scouting mechs. The current Clan scouting meta is the Huntsman with SRMs or Streaks, and the AMS can offer good protection against that type of loadout during the initial phases of the engagement, or more completely against chainfired streaks from hot mechs or players that are trying to increase the odds of a CT hit.

BSW-P1

It might not work for your playstyle, if you close quickly or don't encounter much in the way of missiles, but I really find it helps. If you don't care about money, add light ferro for another half ton of ammo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

As well, you benefit more from cool run and heat cap skills, so pick those before the lower heat gen skills.

hard agree. Also you'll ghost heat beyond 2 so split your firing groups into each arm. Do not trigger the ghost heat, it is ruinous.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
Stolen from some random discord:

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

johntherussian posted:

Stolen from some random discord:

This image screams “My husband works for PGI and is forcing me to wear this shirt.”

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Corn Burst posted:

This image screams “My husband works for PGI and is forcing me to wear this shirt.”

She works for PGI; one of their community managers.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Rysithusiku posted:

For scouting, less ammo more engine.

I've found that sometimes you need to hard carry and do 800 damage. I've ran out of ammo a few times hitting with about 80 % of my missiles.

You can also drop some arm armor and half aton of ammo, and put another heatsink for sustainability.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Sparq posted:

I've found that sometimes you need to hard carry and do 800 damage. I've ran out of ammo a few times hitting with about 80 % of my missiles.

You can also drop some arm armor and half aton of ammo, and put another heatsink for sustainability.

that thing has 1400 damage worth of ammo. no way you're going through that much in scouting. unless you're both incredibly lucky and incredibly bad at aiming.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

Rysithusiku posted:

that thing has 1400 damage worth of ammo. no way you're going through that much in scouting. unless you're both incredibly lucky and incredibly bad at aiming.

Light mechs and fast mechs eat SRMs like crazy with the funky hitreg. If I'm against Hunchies IIC or Huntsmen I won't use more than half the ammo, but if the clanners field Cheetahs or Ice Ferrets and the rest of the team is hopeless I'm going to run close to dry. I've already lost two or three matches because of being out of ammo and upgrading the engine gives such a measly speed improvement that I feel more confident carrying some more missiles.

That's something to be tuned to personal taste, though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sparq posted:

If I'm against Hunchies IIC or Huntsmen

What's the run down on those by the way? For scouting I've mostly ran my ACH because my one actual clan medium (Stormcrow) is 5 tons too fat, so my fast little MGs and MLs guy is fun, but with how much I run up against Bushwackers who just won't die I feel like I want someone beefier.

Pretty much recently I've been transitioning into faction play, so with help from you dudes I've been trying to supe up my roster and it's worked pretty well so far.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 7, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wouldn't even bother scouting Clan side unless you have a four-man group going. The disparity between the Bushwacker and every other medium in the game is so great that you're putting yourself at a serious disadvantage.

But if you really want to, the Huntsmen is the best scouting brawler Clans have. Six SRM6, the Pakhet has better convergence thanks to the torso mounts, but something like this can work if you don't have the hero. There's also the Ice Ferrets I posted earlier, but they're a bit of a gambit as they only work against full brawl teams.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I am in love with my vicious little cataphract friend.
Fight me bitch, masc AND heavy gauss.
one keybind. burn time of the small lasers perfectly matches charge time of the gauss. they stop burning, you release the hammer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rysithusiku posted:

I am in love with my vicious little cataphract friend.
Fight me bitch, masc AND heavy gauss.
one keybind. burn time of the small lasers perfectly matches charge time of the gauss. they stop burning, you release the hammer.

If you don't mind a little kibitzing, the ER Smalls would serve better as straight Mediums: CTF-3L(L). Have to cut the engine a smidge, but for the cost of 2.3kph, you get more DPS, more range, and a slightly higher alpha.

IS Small Lasers are kinda rubbish.

Edit: Oh, wait, better still you can shift things around and shave the right arm to squeeze in another heatsink: CTF-3L(L)

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 7, 2018

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

If you don't mind a little kibitzing, the ER Smalls would serve better as straight Mediums: CTF-3L(L). Have to cut the engine a smidge, but for the cost of 2.3kph, you get more DPS, more range, and a slightly higher alpha.

dps is actually higher with the smalls. also their burn time matches perfectly with the gauss charge. also they have almost identical optimal range.
also burst is only 3.75 higher at the cost of all of that and also with longer burn and a slower mech.
only thing i get out of mediums is more ranged laser poke (which i don't care about, i'm all bout that 250m brawl) and more heat efficiency (i've yet to overheat once in multiple matches).
if it's your thing then go for it, but i'm sticking with my smalls and bigger engine.

e: and i'd never shave my left arm with this. all else fails that's my "gently caress YOU I DIDNT NEED THAT SIDE ANYWAYS" shield side

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You've never overheated in a mech with LAMS? That's just pure luck, then. I've had LAMS overwhelm 20 DHS without firing a shot.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

That is certainly a build.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

He's makin bacon.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
AC2/flamer builds are actually a huge loving pain in the rear end if you duel with them. If that linebacker catches someone alone he can hit them with a chain shutdown and then just core them out from behind. I used to run a 2 flamer/ 2LBX2 gargoyle because it could get 35% ballistic cooldown, but you can run a 6 flamer 2 lbx2 gargoyle now and just run around like a huge moron blasting people with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
It's also a really good 1v1 build that he might have taken out in quickplay.
Edit: No, he's just bad: https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/search?u=sandman+redux

• Locked thread