Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I can't tell you how much I want this build to be viable:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=120&l=3fdde5fe5465835bb68fb50c9ef86c1a0d10ff5e

Tried to make it work for so very long

heck it might work now that SRMS have been buffed

No, it doesn't. The mech simply isn't durable enough to get close and brawl, and it runs surprisingly hot, surprisingly quickly. It's really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

what's the best way to get in on goon CW?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

EoRaptor posted:

No, it doesn't. The mech simply isn't durable enough to get close and brawl, and it runs surprisingly hot, surprisingly quickly. It's really sad.

That's too bad. I tried that fit way back in the day and it didn't work at all. It's really tempting!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I actually tried to make a decent commando but theyre all loving trash. Also I forgot how to build the streakmando from Ye Olde Dayse

EoRaptor posted:

heck it might work now that SRMS have been buffed

[/quote]

If you're gonna make a stupid gimmick, go all the way: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=120&l=d6938911c49a0d4df6225978b75a56a5e7196c30

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

make an announcement, set a date and time a few days in advance, gives everybody a chance to set up their drop decks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bolow posted:

I feel like this is a better Awesome build however

To be fair, playing this piece of poo poo would probably be preferable to playing an Awesome. At least with you can lie to your team and say "Oh poo poo guys, the mechlab didn't save my build!"

There're 42 1/2 tons of machinegun ammo in that.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
My favorite Commando build was the TAG+NARC+ECM Green Beret build from last month where everybody else went LRMs and poo poo while I would sneak behind enemy lines and call in airstrikes from within their territory. #SpecOps

It was as close to role playing an actual Commando as you can get in this game.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2016

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PoptartsNinja posted:

To be fair, playing this piece of poo poo would probably be preferable to playing an Awesome. At least with you can lie to your team and say "Oh poo poo guys, the mechlab didn't save my build!"

the mechlab also doesn't show the oily rags, dryer lint, and old hoverboards stuffed into every seam.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ready to fire for a whole hour and 10 minutes. If we went with the full 4 MGs we could -almost- use all the ammo in one match, 16 minutes 15 seconds.

Ah, here we go. 15 minutes of non-stop firing, and nobody will suspect a thing.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Banshee 3S is the most dangerous Assault `Mech in 3025-era / introductory play.

3025 BNC3S is the poo poo

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Bolow posted:

Is the Sparky actually that good?

It is, yeah. It doesn't have the murdertude of the 3M or 2N but it's a really well quirked griffon laser boat. It has staying power, is rarely focus fired first, and can just poo poo out it's lasers with good heat management. ...and with that 30% Cbill bonus it prints money. My default IS drop mechs are my Sparky or Arrow.

Also for Hellbringers: 3xLPL in the LT with the ECM. Maybe a ERML in the head as backup. There are of course tons of ways to load one out, that just happens to be my highest performer.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Can I get an invite to WoL? ign: twocalf

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Bolow posted:

Is the Sparky actually that good?

i murder in a sparky, more so than the other griffins

easily one of my fav mechs

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

sebmojo posted:

Best time seems to be US Saturday Night / Au/NZ Sunday Midday, that's when we have the numbers and motivation for multiple CW groups, and opponents.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Completely unscientific measurement here, but I feel like I generally get more damage into one mech location with asrm4 than with srm6, and at 2/3rd the ammo cost. We can also talk about range vs spread, reload times, ammo opportunity cost of asrmr vs srm4 plus an extra ton of ammo, but at some point my head hurts and I am really here just to shoot butts. So try both and go with what you like.

I changed my splatcat to ASRM4 and it was night and day. The narrower spread makes a huge difference.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

teepo posted:

i murder in a sparky, more so than the other griffins

easily one of my fav mechs

Right? The only reason I don't always default it is because The Arrow at 45tons is the sweet spot for dropping into a group. But if I can run my Sparky? I'm just gonna always do that if I'm not basic'ing other frames.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

PoptartsNinja posted:

A robot with more than a certain amount of MG ammo available when it dies should Stackpole instead of falling over. :v:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

1100 damage is my highest game yet.

Couldn't save us from defeat though :(.

Stalkers are my jam. 74 alpha, wreck face erryday'.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

Well, there's a couple schools of atlas thought.

The first is Use a Bigger Engine. 325 or 350 both gives you more heatsinks and increases your torso twist speed, which is vital to surviving in an atlas. You twist like a boss while your weapons are cooling down to spread out incoming fire.

Because if this, pretty much everyone will tell you to run an AC20 for the scare factor and the factor of making everyone else prioritize shooting you which is what you want.

It is, however, pretty much the first gun to go. Enemies hate the poo poo out of it, which is great. Losing the RT is acceptable because the SRMS are a solid backup punch and its meant fire's going to a disposable location. (If you're tired of losing the 20 constantly, 2 lbx10s can work instead, but its so heavy it will cost you some engine size AND this is only good on the DDC - due the ballistic slots, and the -d having ac20 cooldown quirks)

What you want to do is stagger your cooldowns so you stop twisting and drop the hammer all at the same time. Now, here's why it goes hand in hand: Ac20 has a four second cooldown. So do SRM6's. For comparison, SRM4's are 3 seconds and the ac10 is 2.5.

Now, where this gets thrown off is with quirks and modules. Depending on what you have and the model and what feels right, you can swap it around some. I tend to run srm4's because I have a cooldown module for the ac20 and I like how it matches up.

Basically, if you're going to run an AC10 you need to make up the difference elsewhere. That means SMR6's and better energy weapons. Medium or large pulses, likely. Think of it in terms of making up that damage.

Nice, thanks.
Now please tell me how to play/build Stepdad (RS-variant with 2M, 4E and 1B) for exactly the 21.500 xp i need to elite and then sell him.
I cant get any useful build out of that chassis, at least not thats Atlas-sy and/or fits my playstyle.

In other news, the sale is killing me. Ive bought a wubmaster-chassis but lacking bigger engines ive just been able to produce THIS with the stuff in my inventory. Also i did only 1 game before bedtime and it was sniper city, so i couldnt get any useful testing out of it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Nice, thanks.
Now please tell me how to play/build Stepdad (RS-variant with 2M, 4E and 1B) for exactly the 21.500 xp i need to elite and then sell him.
I cant get any useful build out of that chassis, at least not thats Atlas-sy and/or fits my playstyle.

Four large pulse, heat sinks, biggest engine you can. The RS isn't anywhere near as good as it once was, sadly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I bought a CRB-27 instead of two kit foxes, this was a good idea.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Four large pulse, heat sinks, biggest engine you can. The RS isn't anywhere near as good as it once was, sadly.

maybe an ac20 and 4 medium pulses, play it like a lovely boars head. i think you can do 4 large lasers and a gauss too.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
My RS was my shame dad, LRM 35 +A, Gauss, 4 ML and a standard 325.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I really don't like gauss on an atlas. People are always shooting at that torso gun and I don't really want it to explode.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
One of my best WHM games from last night. I wasn't a fan of the laser boat variant, but this is making me change my mind.

look at this beast.

e:got it to work, yay.
e2: figured out how to get this to stream and record. Now everyone can watch me suck.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 27, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

People keep telling me the Marmoset isn't that good anymore but I keep getting 4-5 kill games where I'm the top damage dealer on the team :shrug:

Is the stock Nova with 12 ER-MLAS as funny as it sounds? I really want to buy that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

People keep telling me the Marmoset isn't that good anymore but I keep getting 4-5 kill games where I'm the top damage dealer on the team :shrug:

Is the stock Nova with 12 ER-MLAS as funny as it sounds? I really want to buy that.

What tier are you? Pubby drops at tier 4 and 5 aren't very challenging.

The 12 ERML Nova is too hot and the burn time is to much face staring. Try 10 SPL and everything else heatsinks and jjets.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Also use the c torso and I think the c legs as well, they get extra structure. Hit override at the beginning of a match.

You can alpha with the 10 spl build and go up to about 65% heat and still have 3 punches available that. Just remember you do 30 damage each time you punch and you'll murder mans.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Going from a Locust to a Stalker is so disorienting

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Well, if you have any other assault thats elited/mastered(i forget which), you only need to basic it.

4 midpulses, biggest engine, biggest gun and srm 6's. ~2-2.5-3 tons of ammo each depending on taste and stuff it full of sinks.

I think the trial atlas counts for the right one xp-wise? I recall hearing that offhand in thread recently.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's going to be very hard to resist 5-million c-bill BattleMasters.

Which ones are good?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really poo poo at poptarting

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which ones are good?

1s, 1g have the weapon quirks, 2c has the structure quirks. 1s i the one I bring to CW regularly

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which ones are good?

They are very much the same mech throughout the chassis. The 1S and 2C have the best quirks, the Hellslinger the weirdest quirk and the rest have a pile of rear end for quirks.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 27, 2016

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
please don't buy a hellslinger

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which ones are good?

The 2C is a 5 LL hill humper and does a lot of damage

it has a very wide profile and expect to get cored out quickly

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah just hit tier 3 and suddenly can't run gimmick builds anymore. Oh well, time to grow a pair.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

DOMDOM posted:

Yeah just hit tier 3 and suddenly can't run gimmick builds anymore. Oh well, time to grow a pair.

I run my lb10x Crab and do fine in t3

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is the Stalker as bad as it is in every Mechwarrior game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is the Stalker as bad as it is in every Mechwarrior game

No. The Stalker the amazing penis mech you've always wanted and can be configured to be effective at both long and short range.

• Locked thread