Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Captn Kurp posted:

Last time I played I had a Cataphract with 4x AC5 which was lots of fun to use with just alpha strike, are there any mechs than can do something similar with ballistic guns?

King Crab with 4 UAC5s is pretty viable. The 000 model has the best balistic quirks, but the others work pretty well also. The 000B is a trail mech right now and is configured that way if you want to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Matchmaking is screwed because there aren't really a lot of players, period. :smith:

Eh, usually I get in a game with no more than a minute or two of waiting. A lot of it is also dependent on what mech you're piloting. When the Marauder dropped the line was nuts if you were driving a heavy, but anything else got right in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So why is it that sometimes I can't target a guy? I'm like looking right at him, trying to shoot him and I hit the target button and the game says "Target Aquired" but it'll target someone I'm not even looking at.

probably running ECM. You cant target a mech in an ECM bubble unless you're inside of 150 meters (? I think? something like that)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

quote:

Then that unlocks Elite masteries which luckily you don't need to max all 3 in order to unlock the Module mastery unlock.

um, am I missing something? I'm staring at the skills panel right now for a mech that I have all the elite unlocks on and it says I still need to elite 3 variants in order to get the module mastery unlock.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Nope. That's how it works. Remember how you needed to basic other chassis to unlock elite? It's like that.

Enjoy eliting two other variants of your chassis. :banjo:

That's what I thought, it seemed like he was implying it was somehow different.

Also, there is a huge difference between an elited mech and one that only has the basic masteries. that 2x multiplier is huge.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

also before I forget holy poo poo don't spend your MC on colors. That's one of the few things that they actually give away somewhat regularly. Just since Halloween I've gotten at least six of them in various events. In the mean time it's not even like you see the color of your mech when you're playing.

You don't, right? Because if you're in 3rd person you're doing it waaaaaay wrong.

The way I see it there are two good ways to spend MC:

1) buy mech bays.

2) if you're having fun and you want to cut the grind for your 3 chassis of a mech you like down a bunch, buy a month of premium. By the time you run that you you'll probably be a bit bored but you'll have at least 3 mechs of your chosen type in good builds and be well on your way to skilling them up. As a "bonus" you'll have extra MC after you buy your premium which means you can:

buy mech bays.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Starting in 3pv is actually the good and pro way to do it, just hit f3 when you see a red triangle. How else are you going to see your pimp ride.

e: for all the fooforaw they did 3pv very well. it's really hard to fight in it, but it's nice for traversal.

It would be OK for driving around if you could see the map. This is doubly important when you're pubbing and need to figure out which way the heard of cats is rolling so you don't end up all by your lonesome.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, it's totally crippled for everything useful, by design.

Look, how else are they supposed to sell you lava lamps and dangly poo poo for your cockpit if you're looking at the OUTSIDE of your mech?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You can close to brawling distance pretty easily on River City if you just go over to the bottom part where the nuke plant or whatever is. If you're the only person who does it and you're whole team camps whelp at least you'll do a couple hundred damage before dying.

Also I actually kind of love Terra Therma now. So many people are just terrible at heat management that if you don't alpha non stop you can get some really easy kills.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just stay near a bit of cover tall enough to block them. There aren't that many maps with big open areas where you're just hosed, and frankly if you get caught out in the open in a bad way on those you're hosed from direct fire weapons anyways. Use of cover is a really big thing you need to learn.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Timber = 100
Ebon Jag = 65
Mad Dog = 60
Cheetah = 30

Totals at 255, and current dropship can carry 250.
So either 5 tons off the timber, or ditch the jag... OR the next dropship can carry 5 tons extra?

EDIT: i actually meant DIRE wolf, not Timber Wolf. Too many loving animals around.

No, they don't offer drop deck tonnage upgrades. That would completely gently caress any semblance of CW balance even more than it is now. For what it's worth they're also using that to try and balance between clans and IS on CW atm - pretty sure the last patch gave clans a bit of a smaller dropdeck cap than IS.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zaodai posted:

The quote was in regards to AC20s, which unless it changed since yesterday, still incur ghost heat for firing two at the same time.

It's still worthwhile to have a binding to blow both of them. The ghost heat isn't debilitating if you aren't doing non-stop alphas. Chain fire for when you're slugging it out, dual fire for when you can retreat behind something to cool off for a bit.

edit: of course the real way to do it is to put them both on separate circuits and bind them to different mouse keys. Easy to alternate and you can just mash both at once for the "get the gently caress out of my face" moments.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 21, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes. Your basic masteries double after you get all the elites. The heat management stuff alone is huge. Once you've been playing enough to be fiddling with modules being able to equip an extra one is a big deal too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It was the grand prize at Halloween.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm burning out the last few hours on a contract I snagged to grab a mechbay before joining the goon group. Is it worth bothering if I mostly stock IS mechs at this point, or do you guys drop IS as well?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So I was thinking about running a double AMS support crab for some ops. Is it worth it to do

AMS is a waste of space to begin with. Double would just be even more so.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kalaxus posted:

My mech piloting skills were honed on Mad Catz flight-stick/trackball combo joystick piloting through Mechwarrior 2/Mercs/3/4/MWO beta. Haven't used Mouse/Keyboard combo in competitive pvp since Rogue Spear. Xbox Controller tutorial trial run ended with a accidental nudge on ally resulting in alpha strike to the chest, but my keyboard is crap in addition to rusted skills.

In the 3025 hexmap game version a Lotus could max out it's engines and arm itself only with a targeting Laser to paint targets for the group of tanks w/ Arrow IV missiles safely entrenched 4 maps away; is there any such abuse out right now I can be preppin low cost newb mechs for? In EVE I stuck to weaponless EW frigs until patch forced me to go lethal. Would like the option to get in elemental armor, hide on one of your arms then jump out like an angry squirrel at enemy faces eventually. I'm interested in any combo that will make the enemy instantly say WTF is that a-hole doing while maintaining ability to kill the enemy. Couldn't find the self-destruct button on my tutorial mech, The Kirk inside me died a little. While the Deadpool in me keeps screwing up my posts. Would a woodsman mech jumping off a skyscraper and landing a perfect terminal velocity hatchet strike to the enemy be something viable to work towards here?

To all of that: no

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That's every online MP game ever, though. Get 3 or 4 people together on mumble and you can loving wreck matches with pubbies in just about anything. poo poo, that's half the reason SA posters started rolling pubbies together way back in the Battlefield 1942 era.

If you want a game that will just let you beat poo poo up by your lonesome play a single player game. Or maybe the new Star Wars Battlefront, I guess - they managed to make cooperation nearly impossible in that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mechs are survivable enough that camping in a light (in the stationary sense of camping - running circles around a block or peek-n-poke are different things) will make you die fast. With the exception of an assault unloading on a light (and even then maybe not) you're not going to put out enough damage to one-shot drop someone.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

forget what you remember about the urbanmech from TT. Those are successful in this game when they are loaded up with the biggest engine possible and used for harassing.

Or crazy joke builds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So what exactly is "Match Score"? and how do I find out if mine is good enough to get free poo poo?

Log into the Mao webpage and click the link for the event. Log in and if you have any gift boxes you open them there and they are automatically added to your account.

The mech might suck but the cbills are big if you're a new player. I think last event I cleared about 3 mil and the requirements were higher.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Can you only get each reward once, so you're effectively guaranteed to get the mech if you keep playing, or can you potentially just get an infinite amount of consumables? I've gotten the santa dashboard item though so that's neat.

You can get everthing but the mech multiple times.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Note that CASE is white hot trash in this game. Ammo explosions don't work like in tabletop so it isn't the raw necessity that it is there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

added myself to the WoL sheet, someone shoot me an invite

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

Invites sent.

Thanks much.

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Who ever told me that double AMS is bad was way wrong. Standing next to someone and nullifying rockets is fun

Things that are better at nulifying missiles:

1) ECM
2) radar dep
3) standing behind just about anything.

Outside of CW there really aren't that many maps where it is a big issue, and that space and ammo can be better used equipping poo poo to kill other players with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Well, other than the fact that LRMs are bad, that's how you LRM that particular mad dog.

LRMs are generally bad, but if you're in tier 4 or 5 holy poo poo you can just print money and xp with them. I'm grinding gift bags right now with a king crab sporting 3 LRM15s with Artemis. Low level pubbies seriously just dont' know how to take cover. A bad match is one where I get 400 damage done, which is more than eneough for some cbills, xp, and a stocking.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pooncha posted:

It would still be great if C-bill earnings were tweaked up some more. Getting only ~150k on a decent-good match, then comparing it to the costs of everything else, makes for a terrible grind. :smith:

Since a lot of MWO's appeal is tinkering with your darling robots, the fact that every `Mech is a costly investment kind of kills any motivation to play around instead of sticking to "safe" meta builds.

It gets a lot better the more you play. After a bit you develop a large cache of weapons and gear that you can swap out. After a month or so of semi regular non poopsock play you will have enough to try new poo poo out without bankrupting yourself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

There is only one that has really strong ppc quirks and that one does well with triple AC 5.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I got an arctic cheetah, it's just so much fun being a tiny arbiter of death and annoyance. I might actually buy the other two models and get all the dumb upgrade for it.

You should. Maxing out the skills on mechs makes them a lot better. Doubly so if they hear up at all or go fast.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It's really tanks for its weight and pretty xl friendly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

WebDO posted:

You should invest in Star Citizen, you're really good with financial decisions

you would be better off concentrating on one mech so you can get the masteries. You're spreading yourself out a lot there.

That MC would be better spent on one or two mechs and a premium time to help with the grind.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Astroniomix posted:

Ferro has been poo poo since it's inception, even in TT the only reason to use ferro was because you either didn't have access to endo and desperately needed the extra tonnage, or the mech came with it.

EDIT: it also had the same loving description and caused no end of arguments as a result.

The wording has never bothered me. 14 year old me had no problem parsing it in TT either. Then again, THACO wasn't rocket science either.

As has already been said it came in handy in TT campaigns because swapping out FF onto a mech that didn't have it wasn't a big deal, while swapping out the internal structure was a big loving deal. THere is a lot of poo poo like that in MWO - things that were balanced for TT but where one thing is simply superior in MWO because you dont have the other benefits that made it work out in TT.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 27, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bankerfox posted:

Thanks for the advice! Probably going to pick up a Hunchback.

The hunchback is a really great platform to learn on. It has a good autocannon variant, a good laser vomit variant, a good SRM variant, and a good LRM boat variant. The individual mechs are cheap enough that it won't take you forever to grind for them, and the gear you need to put on them isn't insane. What's more, it's a good weight class that you will probably need if you decide to get into CW.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

For faffing about in quick drops? Yeah. Pubbies are terrible and too stupid to avoid lrms.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Pubbies are also super easy to just core with lasers and ACs because torso twisting is martian technology. Dump the LRMs.

You still can't beat them for brainless c-bill grinding or farming stockings during the event. I'm watching TV, drinking beer, and picking up an easy 200k per match. It's working for me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Have you done the tutorial missions? If your account is old enough that you haven't done those you can pick up enough c-bills for another catapult easily.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stringbean posted:

Opinions on the King Crab? If I'm really liking Assault mechs, is there any benefit from picking this over the Atlas? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm gaining/losing before I drop 10 million credits down.

They have pretty different builds. The KC is at its best sporting 4 UAC5s as a medium range support mech, although there are also good brawler builds. It benefits from being fairly low profile, although it is wide as a house.

The Atlas is tanky as all gently caress. Most of the builds I've seen of it are brawlers, although I'm sure you could rig it with LLs for a more medium range approach. One of my favorite Atlas variants is the one with ECM, something you don't often see on assaults.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They give them away all the time at events. I think I've gotten 6 since Halloween.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

75 solo que grab bags claimed, and still no Cent. I don't know why I want the damned thing so much now, but goddamn it I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

You don't want a Cent 9 AH. Its trash. get a Cent 9A or a 9AL. 9A is good because it can rocket punch things to death with 3 SRM6s and the AL is good because you can stick a bunch of pulse or large lasers on it and then laser things with the quirk.

Yeah, I don't want a cent at all I just want a free thing.

• Locked thread