Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So SRM's sure are a loving thing now, jesus. I just threw 6 medium lasers and 4 srm-4's on a stalker 3f with a 300 standard and all the armor it can carry. I basically just right-clicked my way to 7 easy kills and 900 damage, why is literally everyone in every game not boating these loving missiles? Gonna get my Atlas DDC out of mothballs for a round or two tomorrow I think. Because if there's one thing better than being an angry missile-spewing 2-legged fortress, it's being an angry missile-spewing 2-legged fortress you can't see coming.

It's been so long since I've used basically any of my mechs, what's a good build for the Illest Marmoset these days? I think mine's set up with 3ml/3 AC5's and an xl engine. Dunno if that's still serviceable or not. I'm not sure I can stomach grinding up the 7+ more millions I'd need to buy a timberwolf, but breaking out some of my +30% cbill earners would help. I have a Marmoset, Heavy Metal, Flame, the King Crab we got for whatever reason, the Almost a DDC Atlas, and the Centurion AH if anyone's got suggestions for those. I've also got all four founders mechs too, because I was a hopeful loving idiot :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Welp, since the Founder Atlas doesn't have enough missile hardpoints to truckernaut properly I used some spare stuff hanging around to make something a little different. I have decided to call it the Wublas 10X. Because it has two large pulse lasers and two LB10X's, you see. Now that the netcode is much improved and I can actually hit light mechs relatively often, these LBX's I bought 4 years ago are finally good! Maybe! I don't know if they have any bonus crit seeking ability the way that machine guns do, or just get more crit rolls by virtue of spraying 10 pellets, but they're doing a nice enough job.

I'm also thinking of turning my free King Crab into a sort of makeshift version of the trial Direwolf. No medium lasers, but two arm-mounted gauss rifles and two large pulse lasers can do some work. The medium lasers are kind of a heat trap anyway, at least on the Direwolf. I just haven't done it yet because I'm trying desperately to keep myself from spending C-Bills until I can afford a Timberwolf. I think I might just try and sock away a ton of C-Bills in case a decent enough holiday sale lets me pick up both -wolves at a steep discount. Of course, I'm also considering doing the most shameful thing: Getting that Heavy Mech steam bundle for a 30% C-Bill boost Timberwolf.

Looking over all the 'freebies' that come in the steam bundles it's... actually a pretty good deal (provided you consider anything in the game worth giving PGI more money).

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Is there a way to fit out a mech in game without buying it first so you can at least plan your purchase without having to alt-tab. Also I need to give pgi credit, I have never come across a user interface that actively induces a headache during. This one does almost immediately.

Yeah, in the store there's a little 'view in mechlab' button on the bottom-right info panel for each mech that lets you futz around with it in the mechlab, see what sort of builds you can kit out on it or whatever. It's actually my favorite part of the store interface (because it's the only good part :lol: )

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 18, 2015

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

A friendly reminder to all prospective light mech pilots: Do not run face-first into an Atlas, and ESPECIALLY don't do that one at a time when you and your two friends are so busy wolf-packing a Marauder that you don't see the 50 foot tall skull man. Double LBX10's confirmed super good at making light mechs dead. I may need to drop another heat sink for another ton of ammo though, 35 trigger pulls isn't quite enough when there's a lot to shoot at. I wish this match wasn't an extreme outlier and that I was always good at robots :(

I also need to play with goons instead of pub dropping but I feel like an rear end in a top hat because I basically don't own things that aren't assault mechs; that on top of just being awful make me a huge waste of tonnage. Maybe once I get that Timberwolf I'll be the pretty mech princess I've always wanted to be.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
I remember disliking conquest a lot years back, but now with the larger maps and number of players, combined with the usual pub-match cowardice, it's nice to have a game mode that essentially forces a fight. Assault used to on the smaller maps, but the payout for just rolling in for a cap victory were a lot higher too. I was in a game a bit ago where we basically won without conflict by just bee lining for the enemy base and the only reason I cleared 50k C-bills was because I was getting that sweet Founders mech bonus. It's kind of depressing how lovely C-bill payouts have gotten (besides the odd match like the one I posted a bit ago where the payout kissed 300k without premium). I don't know how people without C-bill boosting mechs loving stand it; at least that legendary founders pack was good for something besides crushing disappointment.

That may be slightly unfair, this game is in a MUCH better place than it was six months ago. Community warfare is still a giant steaming turd though, fuuuuuck that noise.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

starkebn posted:

I haven't played since before ghost heat was a thing - can you yet buy an ferro upgrade and then downgrade without having to pay again?

Of course not, that would allow you to keep some of your C-Bills, and if you keep your C-Bills you won't buy them from the in-game shop with MC :v:

I actually had no idea that was even a thing until this week because I'd never had a robot that came standard with ferro but not endo until the King Crab. I sure do like getting taxed for swapping back to the default standard from an already too-expensive upgrade!

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
I'm not going to try to dissuade you from buying an Atlas because everyone should have a DDC for Ghost Dad shenanigans at the very least. However, do at least try a round or two in the trial Direwolf before you write them off completely. It's pretty much the epitome of mobile turret gameplay, but that much pure firepower has its own appeal.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
So I don't know what's so special about sunday nights, but I have been seeing some amazing things. A Stalker with an XL Engine that died with almost full armor but lost a single side torso, an Ebon Jaguar armed only with 2x LRM20 and 2x LRM15, a King Crab with 4 AC/2's and a single PPC. The world has gone mad.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Welp, I got stupid and bought that Heavy Steam bundle. I don't super enjoy the 3 LPL Thunderbolt, but oh my, Timberwolf with a 30% C-Bill boost and spooky paint job? :getin:

The C-Bills, month of premium time and enough MC for another 30 days don't hurt either I guess.

I think I'm gonna swap out the torso omnipods and run 4x LRM 15's on the dang thing for one match, just because clan lrm's look so loving cool. It's okay though, I'll totally bring a backup weapon system (one small laser) to make it viable :v:

edit: nooope, not spending the 2.3 million C-Bills for a one-off goof.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 24, 2015

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Welp, along with the purchase of my second Timberwolf, I also picked up an Urbanmech. It's more fun than it has any right to be, but boy am I bad with it. I don't think I've gotten a match score higher than 80 yet :v:

Just for goofs I bought the biggest engine it could carry, and loaded it with 4 machine guns and an ER large laser. 91 km/h trashcan is the best. I mean, I GUESS the 75 ton heavy that runs almost 90 and carries as much firepower as an IS assault is pretty cool too.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
So I just picked up a Top Dog since gently caress it, it was one sale and gets me one step closer to Thunderbolt mastery. I used the proceeds from the sale of the free Centurion to swap in double heatsinks and dropped in a 300 standard. I also dropped the large laser and two medium lasers in favor of a large pulse laser; I think it's gonna work out pretty good. Now I need to decide if I'm saving C-Bills for a Thunderbolt 5SS or a Timberwolf S.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
re: laser range quirks: The Top Dog has a pretty good one, 25% I think. ER larges on it have an optimum range of like 880 meters; it's loving insane. I might load up like 4 of them on it tomorrow for the heck of it.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Welp, I did it; I ground up enough C-Bucks over the weekend to buy my last Timberwolf and a Direwolf-W. Apparently the B is better for dakka so rip me, I guess but gently caress it. Since I'm super loving broke all I did was strip the LRM's, Gauss, and regular lasers that came on it off in favor of an UAC10 and some medium pulse lasers. Once I'm in someone's face double-tapping the UAC10 and 20 along with a little pinpoint laser fire really gives someone the business. Holy poo poo is it fragile compared to my Atlases (Atlai?) and Stalker though. I've gotten so used to being like "oh, my armor's almost gone, whatevs", with the Direwolf that's kind of all you've got. Still, there is no other mech in the game that feels as good when someone wanders under your guns. Just the sheer amount of firepower is unbelievable. I met an Executioner, I looked at him, he looked at me, then he fell over dead. :getin:

Speaking of the Atlas I had my favorite badass Atlas moment in a while last night in my 7S on River City. Someone made the point that Assaults should spearhead the assault since it was in the drat name and for once pubbies actually listened. I, along with my faithful pubbie Timberwolf companion, pushed across the river, netting me two kills in the process, then went to check the tunnel under the airfield. The enemy team had gotten it into their heads that they were going to set a trap in there, so lining the walls were an Atlas, a Raven, a Marauder, and a King Crab. I fearlessly torso twisted the gently caress out of that poo poo, weathered the gauntlet with AC20 and SRM's intact, and made it all the way through to the exit, getting two more kills before turning around to shoot the King Crab in the back while it tried to deal with Pubbie Timberwolf for a fifth kill. Super loving satisfying.

Of course, for every one of those games I have about 30 where I die alone like an idiot because I'm actually really bad at robots.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

Drythe posted:

your lights should be supporting your back.

This is a good joke, you're a funny guy

vvvv This was my thought process. It just seemed like the best CT.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 11, 2016

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Man, now that I've elited my other two Timberwolves I kinda wish there was a function to save multiple set-ups for a mech, so you could just swap between loadouts with one button between matches. This is less a thing for IS mechs I guess, but holy poo poo would it make life easier with omnimechs. I just ended up taking screenshots of all my timberwolf builds so I can remember the omnipod/armor distribution and poo poo when I want to swap between splatcat/pulsewolf set-ups. Or quad LRM-wolf because :lol:

Speaking of quad LRM's, is the quad LRM15 Ebon Jaguar actually a thing, like in the community at large? I've seen more of them than I'd like; and they NEVER have backup weapons or TAG. Ever.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
So I guess I'm finally feeling out the glass cannon gameplay of the Direwolf; I just had my second 900 damage game of the day in it. The Direwolf taught me that if your match score is high enough your player rating can increase even if your team loses :v: The sheer loving hurt you can lay on things is indescribable, and people do some hilarious poo poo when they can't get away from you. In my last game I had a Kit Fox be so busy dodging a teammate he backed into a corner for cover, turned the other way to escape, and there I was. I could just see him go "welp :(" and decide to meet his fate with dignity. Holy hell do you need to loving COMMIT in this mech though. Not only are you too slow to change your mind, you also need to be facing the enemy essentially 100% of the time, while having what feels like half the HP of an Atlas. Your only recourse for survival is to meet the enemy and break him. I've been running a triple UAC10 build, but I'm gonna switch it up for a 2xUAC10/3xUAC5 build once I get the money, just to have the spare equipment on hand if nothing else.

Also, having finally been in an extended brawl in my quad ASRM6 Timberwolf, I swapped from medium lasers down to smalls so I could carry an extra two tons of ammo. 550 just wasn't getting it, 750's a lot more comfortable. Not that I live that long most of the time anyway; I'm a tad over-eager. In the same game I finally got to go toe to toe with one of those 6xLRM5 Mad Dog's and... I kinda want one. But I also want a Thunderbolt 5SS to spread my sweet medium pulse laser love. And then Firestarters are on sale and maybe I should own a light mech that isn't a trash can and goddamn there's too much poo poo to buy and not nearly enough C-Bills.

edit: If I'm a super cheap-rear end and would rather buy two more Firestarter variants for the price of the XL295 I should be running in them, could I get away with the XL280 I already own from having the Marmoset?

double edit: 2xUAC10/3xUAC5 Direwolf sucks and I hate it. Gonna try some more games in it tomorrow, but not a fan, rip 2 million C-bills.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 14, 2016

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

Stringbean posted:

I'm planning on rebuying an IS assault. I was thinking Atlas because I love a good brawler, but meta mechs is listing Banshee, Stalker, and Battlemaster for its tier 1 bracket. They're all laser toting, zombie mechs. As much as I'm sure they're beastly, I think I'd rather have some more variety. Should I stick to the Atlas plan?

I am of the firm opinion that everyone should own an Atlas DDC. Ghost Dads are the best dads. I've been curious about Battlemasters, myself; I wouldn't mind having an assault that does large pulse lasers good. Then again, I could just save the money and keep using Thunderbolts for sweet pulse laser light shows.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
I'm thanking my lucky stars I ground out that Direwolf for this challenge. Realistically, there's no other mech I can think of that will be able to compete once you decide to shoot something. 70 damage on a 2.5 second cooldown is serious hurt. I forget, do solo kills count for the challenge?

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
I just ran into a Direwolf with an lrm20 and an lrm15 being super smug about his sweet set-up. I am irrationally angry at videogames right now. There is so much lrm'ing going on for this challenge, it's insane.

vvv It's not like keeping track of both reticules is even hard, what the hell? Then again, most of my play time over the life of this game happened before arm locking was a thing (or it was turned off by default and I never knew about it).

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 15, 2016

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Oh poo poo, I didn't know the dragon was getting a resize! I might have to snag two more variants to make my Flame a little snazzier. A smaller, sneakier fast heavy with an AC20 mounted at/slightly above cockpit level wouldn't be a terrible thing to have.

Kind of on the fence about keeping the free Cicada or just treating it like a free engine and selling the husk. What cool fun builds are there for two other variants?

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Being able to hit stuff past 270 meters is pretty cool. You should try it some time.

:lol: Look at this guy, using normal medium lasers instead of pulse lasers. This new map has completely killed the love I was feeling for the game again; of course I also had the poor timing to pick up and want to elite a Thunderbolt 5SS right when it dropped. All medium pulse lasers on a relatively large target is not a fun thing on that map :(

At least my Direwolf is still cool and good on every map, I think it's just about the only mech I have that's payed for itself. I've also racked up 60k exp on it already that I'll probably never get to spend because gently caress paying 35 million Cbills for two inferior center torsos.

Heck, the only mech I've used more I think is my Hunchback 4SP, that thing used to be such a little monster. It paid for itself, my 4P, my Stalker, and my Ghost Dad way back when. Dang, little mech was a loving earner.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

Bentai posted:

I hear the RS is alright.

The RS commits the mortal sin of having enough laser hardpoints in the arms to make you want to use them for things other than shielding your body. Way back when people used to put 4 large lasers on it and chain fire them, which could work I guess, but Stalkers are better for that with their tiny, high arms. The AS7-D is probably the good bet. It can run a pair of UAC5's and three large pulse lasers, or two large pulses and two LB10X's because why not (this one has the benefit of giving you a completely dead left side), Or just run it almost stock with 4 medium lasers, an AC20 and 2 ASRM6's. It's not glamorous, but it's serviceable enough to elite out for mastery on Ghost Dad.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Finally decided that since I 1: don't care about clan warfare much at all, and 2: am in WoL anyway I'm just gonna sell my other two timberwolf chassis' after I master my C. That'll give me the money to build the laserfist nova I want so bad even if it's actually terrible! And also a Mad Dog for LRM shenanigans since my founder's catapult only has 2 missile hardpoints and if I'm going to lurm I'm gonna do it to loving unreasonable excess (also my Stalker is set up as a rhino and that is never changing ever).

I decided to switch the Timberwolf up from an srm brawler to a 3 medium pulse/uac20 build and immediately had a 650 damage match. Seems pretty solid :smugdog: I might go whole hog on the short range though and swap down to small pulses and three more tons of ammo

vvv it was exactly that, and yes, extremely nasty. I just have like 7 srm brawler mechs, sooooo

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 23, 2016

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

Tindahbawx posted:

What way should I be building my Ghost Dad these days?

I literally haven't touched the thing for a couple of years, the build it has is the one from the old WoL repository with the Gauss, 2xSRM(4?), 2x ML and the ECM. Is that still the way to do it?

That is way outdated; an AC20 and 3 SRM6's with Artemis, medium lasers and standard engine to taste (a 325 at minimum). Some people take medium lasers, some don't.

fake edit: I feel like I shouldn't have to say 'keep the ECM too', but I'm gonna say it anyway

real edit: Having gotten the opportunity to play it on a map that isn't loving Viridian Bog, the 6xLRM5 Mad Dog is A-OK by me. I should probably have gotten a hunchback 4J for my lurm shenanigans, but I just don't want a fourth hunchback. Or do I?

Question: Is it better to run an active probe or tag on a streakcrow? I feel like tag in the head is the better option for chasing ECM lights, but I don't have the money to swap my stormcrow over yet, so I figure I might as well just ask.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 23, 2016

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
I am having too much fun with this loving LRM-Dog in these big open snow maps. First time I've enjoyed playing on Alpine in YEARS (possibly ever). 977 damage with a match score of 623 :getin:

Had a similarly high damage game with the Nova sporting 10 small pulses too, I think I'll stick with those since I get too tempted to hang back at 200-300 meters with the small lasers instead of getting right up on some butts. If this thing gets a decent size reduction it's gonna be a beast. A lot of the taller humanoid mechs look right over you as it is.

vvv This is the thing to do. You can chain fire them super accurately basically forever at about about 250-500 meters. I just ended up maxing the armor and carrying a TAG + 3 small lasers in the arms. 15 extra damage inside 200 meters isn't bad and I have yet to run through the 8 tons of ammo I have stocked in. with the LRM's decent tracking at midrange you can actually twist and spread damage a lot better than I expected to be able to.

double edit: Having built one myself now I cannot fathom how the pubbies I see with no back-up weapons and stripped down armor in 6xLRM5-Dogs expect to go through the 2000+ missiles they must be carrying. I'm firing pretty much constantly throughout a match once the fighting starts and I still don't chew through all my ammo :iiam:

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 23, 2016

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Wait a second, do champion mechs share xp with their normal chassis variants?
I just bought Dad RSC and immediatly had 18k xp, which could only have come from playing free Dad when i started.
But wasnt the champion RSC free?

However, i now have an instantly elite-ready atlas.
Though i think id rather elite/keep the ECM or 4xSRM variant...

Yes, the regular RS and RS(C) both count as the same variant for exp purposes, (C) mechs just earn exp faster and come with upgrades installed/better set-ups than stock.

If you're not planning to keep all Dads the DDC and S are the standouts. Don't get rid of those, they good.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Well, last day of the current sale, so I ground up a Warhawk. I'm... not sure it was a good decision. Then again, I can't afford to kit it out with like eight large lasers yet like I want to :v:

I used spare stuff from my Timber/Direwolf to make a 'Brawlhawk' with 3 medium pulses, 3 ASRM6's and a UAC20. Works real good when I can meet the enemy one or two at a time, works real bad when they decide to shoot me back since I have no sacrificial limbs/torsos and 15 mech tons' less armor allowance than the Direwolf.

I'm kind of considering grinding out the Cicada with the XL320 in it too, since the entire mech costs less than the engine alone right now; but that's a decision for the morning.

VVV You might think that, but no; it is a lovely Direwolf that is slightly smaller and goes faster! It can actually mount a decent number of missiles too, unlike any other clan assault, which was the main draw.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 26, 2016

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

Drakes posted:

selling my stalkers.

Why would you do this? :(

Totally picking up a Hellbringer and maybe a Battlemaster this sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Welp, I was thinking about buying 15 bucks worth of premium time, then made the mistake of indulging my curiosity about whether or not the $20 mech packs come with premium time. I have three Kodiaks now :homebrew:

• Locked thread