Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

If I wanted to piss $40 away on bad robots what would get me the best bang for buck. The Heavy Pack on steam looks fairly decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FARTSTAR posted:

someone post a good Top Dog build my brain only sees 9xMPL

I run a build similar to the 5SS with 8xMPL, each torso with its own firing group. It runs red loving hot but you're tanky as poo poo and you can linger on for a long goddamn time, since with torso twisting they have to eat through both your arms and both your torsos. You can also run an AMS on it if you want to run with 1 less heat sink, since it barely loving matters.

You can also just run it with 6xMPL and a gently caress ton of heatsinks

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Vorenus posted:

Arguing LRMs is comparable to a political debate: Minds are made up and best case scenario is "Yeah I know I'm wrong but I like my way better so LOLogic"

Yeah but gently caress people who put LRMs on Assault Mechs

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Stringbean posted:

Maybe it was a sign. It told me that I should hold off on purchasing an urbmech

You're either a Trashcan or a Trashcant son

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Alpine without the mountain would be a p. good map, and on Conquest this is most evident, but as of now it's p. bad

Then it would just be a loving arctic tundra with no cover and gently caress over anyone who isn't using Large Lasers or LRM's even harder :psyduck:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I chased an Ebon Jag for a solid 5 minutes on Forest Colony as the last person alive in my zombie'd Ghostdad while he was in chat bitching about how I was dragging the game out. :psyduck:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

^ my 2xUAC10 5xERSL Ebon jaguar is by far my highest KD mech with the burst changes. If I brought out my Dakka Dire it might beat it. Clan UACs are remarkably better with the burst changes.

I think there's currently a bug with the Atlas. I had my AC20 get destroyed twice tonight while I was still all around armored (yellowish.). This has never happened on any of my other mechs of which I have waaaay more recent playtime. I had thought maybe it was the AC20 itself, but Ive never lost the AC20 in my Enforcer while the arm was still armored.

I think Gauss can crit through armor?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Thanks for bringing up the spider, theres the 5D variant that can actually run close to 130, jump, ECM and AMS.
And with an XL engine, i can still fit a Large Laser on that thing.

If i can overcome its butt-ugliness that is...

AMS is dumb on light mechs because you run faster than poo poo and 99% of them will miss you anyway unless you're TAG'd or NARC'd. Any LRM's from 500m+ away are likely not going to hit you because they physically can't track that quickly

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The AL doesn't run anywhere near that hot to justify all those loving heatsinks and 3LL :psyduck:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Yea, you can just swap down to a standard 255 and cut some heatsinks like so:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=28&l=4017a38f416d3bd24b27355d5c439149ac3e0e20
A lot more survivable.

I'm using this right now http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=28&l=0303d5076bd5151326639799c8cf07d8fba1267e

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm assuming something like this is the default Shadow Cat build?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=298&l=553394ab5b795a670232b9e419c2ef09fd753d59

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

Meanwhile the ice ferret is still a horrible and bad mech

Lots of mechs will forever be poo poo because the niche that they performed doesn't exist and will never exist in MWO

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Because LRMs deserve to be just as viable a weapon as anything else.

They really don't

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Top Dog isn't a bad mech but there's other Thunderbolts that can more or less do the same thing but better. I guess you could run 3xLL/ERLL and 4xML with the Top Dog, but for MPL or LPL boating the 5SS and 9SE are much better

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Marauder has really nice hitboxes as well. Anecdotally they feel like one of the toughest mechs to crack open when I'm in a Splatlas or Ghostdad

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

Sale, yeah. I have c-bills to burn and 4m isn't that much - I'll easily make it back basicing it out. I spend cbills to screw around with mechs, and the awesome was one I used to play a lot. I haven't had one since beta and i'm curious how they hold up now.

They're actually pretty cheap for assault mechs. 5.9 mil after doubles isn't that bad, and its not like I won't make it back.

I wanted to give the commoners awesome a shot maybe, and srms are always great. Whats so garbage about em?

Awesome hitboxes are loving trash

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Then buy different mechs lol I'm loving it. I'm 7 for 7 right now and I mostly use light mechs.

wah wah wah everyone cater to my play style love me

It'd be a less lovely map if you could pick which mech you dropped in after the map was chosen

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sard posted:

I have many questions, starting out with how this managed to be one of the top players in the match.

Oh hey I was spectating that dude after I killed like 3 people in my Warhammmer. That's the first Gargoyle I've ever actually seen as well

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think you can also fit an Atlas, two Blackjacks and a Locust for Going Fast? Although the Locust isn't anywhere near as good as a Firestarter as a general-purpose light.

The Huginn is real nasty, probably my favorite hero mech right now besides the Black Widow

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rank 28 on the Black Widow for this event, I doubt I'll be able to crack the top 10 :negative:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Raged posted:

It means you probably have a job or a life of some kind.

It's your 10 best matches and its super easy to do 800-1200 damage games with 4xAC/5's :v:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

Some of those scores on the leaderboards are insane- I had to fight tooth and nail just to break 3000 on the WHM-6D. Anyone else do OK?

Got Rank 30 with the Black Widow, any higher basically involved pure blind loving luck on not getting focused and my team being just poo poo enough to not kill anything but to not die miserably

EoRaptor posted:

Don't put ammo in your CT, RT or LT. The extra structure means you can get good survivability when you lose your armour, so things that go bang should be elsewhere.

AS7-S

Note that ammo is consumed from the head, then arms, then torso's, then legs. The odds are very good that you'll empty the arms before they lose armour coverage, and as long as you have more total leg armour that CT armour (65+65 > 109) you'll get cored first. Some people run super lite on leg armour and heatsinks to cram a STD360 in there, but you need to be at the peak edge of dad pilots for that to matter.

I prefer something more along the lines of this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=241&l=aaec849d98452aaef0a61a9802431053f7eaf43d

I think I've run out of AC/20 ammo like once after well over 50-60 games even with only 3 tons. That extra weight is much better served using for SRM ammo.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

I prefer having the MPLs in the torso- if I put two in each arm, I lose more firepower from a busted arm than I would from losing one LPL.

LPL does almost as much damage as 2 MPL's (11 for LPL, 6 Per MPL), has longer range and generates less heat :ssh:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I can't find a build that I can play effectively for the WHM-BW. I've got some abortion of a 2xUAC/5 and some medium lasers, but nothing that really takes advantage of the quirks and works well with my habit of getting in close and brawling. Standing back and sniping doesn't work well for me, so I need something that can fire fast and hard but won't generate an enormous amount of heat.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=385&l=9262ae13cf1a3eb6e46ba857ba345452b4a96670

With elite skills, and the AC/5 cooldown module you poo poo out 20 damage alpha strikes every 1.2 seconds or so and you will never overheat unless you blow through 70% of your ammo without letting up at all. You can brawl with nearly everything at point blank range and either win or effectively cripple the other dude. The hardest part about this build is remembering to torso twist because you have absolutely no down time with your weapons.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Devorum posted:

If Heroes are on the table, the 3M, 2N, and Sparky.

If not, swap the Sparky for...I guess a 1N. Neither the 1N nor 1S are spectacular.

For builds, I run the biggest Artemis SRM racks I can fit, and a couple of MPL on the 3M and 2N.

Is the Sparky actually that good?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I really like the Commando build. I feel like this is a better Awesome build however

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=46&l=f48f8bf6cfd8ed2ebe3ada0355d0f2035389da97

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FARTSTAR posted:

From the townhall:

All clan negative quirks are going to be removed

IS energy range quirks are to be capped at 10%

MASC is getting a huge buff

Stalker gets retrofit

Blackjacks getting their structure quirks toned down

Russ is kinda sloshed

RIP BLR-1S

Pendulum casualty

:rip: Top Dog

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

What the gently caress does "Stalker Retrofit" mean

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So with the IS range quirk nerfs going in, are the Battlemaster's still worth getting. Or should I get some Stalkers instead?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

WebDO posted:

:allears:

So either you can detect cheaters but didn't all this time because it hurts your bottom line, or Russ's tweets hold the same truth value as ever

You're a loving idiot

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

Valve does the same thing. Once they figure out the vulnerability and exploits in play they observe them for a while to catch as many in their detection net as they can.

Or so they would have us believe.

Blizzard does the same poo poo, they basically gather information for 6 months or so then ban a couple hundred thousand people at a time

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Unhappy Meal posted:

It's probably not so much to catch more people as it is to reduce their false positive rate to an acceptable level.

If you ban continuously hack authors update their hacks more often and you effectively have an arms race a developer can't feasibly win. Large group bans are just in general more effective.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

starkebn posted:

It's just sad they've taken away the ability to chat to the enemy team

Just enable general chat in the options

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I've been loving around with the other Warhammers and have pretty decent builds for the 6D and 6R. I honestly have no idea what to do with the 7S though. I'm thinking something along the lines of this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=384&l=a5b46beb4c44cce8c785425b93c890dc04c885e4

or possibly this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=384&l=329201c0ad197a6fb3f8bc6eca8c838aa584ece8

WebDO posted:

Wow, you guys got really upset that I called the poo poo devs of this game poo poo. You sure showed me that :pgi: has the player's interest from the start. Oh, wait

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah but 3xUAC/5's are fun as gently caress to use regardless :shrug:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Is the Battlemaster 1S still worth picking up now that the IS range quirks are a thing next patch? I have the 2C and 3S already

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

No, this is not Asimov-level science fiction, but it's deep, very engaging (why else would we be playing a derivative three decades later?) and most of it is well-written.

Stockholm syndrome and because there hasn't been a good Heavy Gear game in 17 years

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tujague posted:

I never read any battletech novels, but I actually think the classic "successor states" is a cool setting with lots of opportunity. If you can ignore the 1980s weaboo garbage and rampaging Mary Sueism, it's not terrible. Mysterious Comstar, pirate kingdoms in the darkness, civilization trying to find a way forward after generations of devastation. The Kentares Massacre. Mercenaries. The 100th take on sci-fi Space Feudalism. Little blurbs in the mech descriptions about whatever badass legendary Whitworth pilot got killed on some frozen ice world. Very charming stuff.

Then the Clans show up and everything just becomes retarded. There's like twenty different clans all built on principles reflected by whatever stupid-name rear end baboon or catfish, like, loving animal names? Seriously? And then they built mechs that look like the animals, of course. And there's, like, kung fu rituals and TRIBAL LOREMASTERS and poo poo, and one of the clans is religious and one of them is all about money or something, and blah blah blah. It would be like trying to get the NFL to work if they players had to live a life inspired by tigers and dolphins and pirates instead of just being named after them.

So the clans invade and smash up the place, and then they have to stop after a big e-honoure ritual showdown, and then every Mary Sue in the galaxy goes and fights them on their home turf. Then Com Star gets taken over by religious fanatics and attacks everyone else in a JIHAD and a whole new generation of Mary Sues fights them. The whole thing makes about as much sense as building a war machine in the shape of a human being and sticking the pilot in the head piece and having it lumber around getting stuck on fences, and it can't lift up its arms to fire from shoulder-height.

You missed the part where Space AT&T blows up the communication systems thus hitting the reset button on the universe because FASA is a bunch of lazy talentless hacks when it comes to story

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Holy poo poo it looks like a Swoll Dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Stringbean posted:

If I've got Griffins and Hunchbacks elites, what's another medium I can start messing with. I'm digging medium gameplay over all else. I tried cicadas but they weren't really what I liked about heavier mediums. I also kind of liked the Blackjacks, but their play style wasn't really in line to my personal play style. What should I aim for next. Are enforcers any good? Or kintaro?

Griffins are good SRM4 boating strikers, though they pretty much require expensive 300XL engines. Centurions are damned good brawlers and use STD 275's

• Locked thread