Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I've decided to give MWO another chance, and since the Goonrathi forums are apparently not much in use could someone PM me the Mumble info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Got some questions - I'm currently sitting on 20,000 MC, a couple million C-Bills, and well over 6 months of Premium banked. I need some advice on how to spend the MC, whether it's to buy some of the Mastery packs that PGI is selling, hold on to them, or eventually go out and buy the various DLC in the Steam store and have even more MC, more C-Bills, and more Premium time banked (this would be last resort, and something that would take a couple months to do since I'm not currently sitting on a lot of cash). I only restarted playing again last night, and frankly I suck at mixing it up - I either get gang-raped or I never get close to the action before it's all over. Need some suggestions on where to go from here.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

PGI needs to also incorporate different weather effects. Something like a raging sandstorm which reduces visibility to 300-400 meters, with radar unable to lock on to anything beyond that range. Or keeping with the theme of brawling, an asteroid surface with high metal content and virtually no gravity - don't go too fast or you ain't stopping anytime soon, and forget trying to lock on to someone.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

TeeMerk posted:

How did the Clan Purple Bird CW drops go?

We loving wrecked the pubbies except for one fight, to the point that they actually stopped coming for fights. And when I say wrecked, I mean absolutely pulverized, with us not only taking down the objective but also killing every mech they brought while losing one mech each (i.e 48 to 12 and 47 to 13). The last pubbie scrub crew actually did okay, with us still killing all of their mechs and taking down the objective while losing 28 or 29 mechs of our own. The one fight we lost we were on defense and they killed all our light mechs for the loss of one heavy (Marauder I think). We just couldn't get enough mass and momentum to destroy their company, so we lost that one something like 38 to 34, but it was more due to time running out than them out-playing us. Had we a few more minutes we might have won.

tl;dr - it was fun, and whoever didn't join in missed out big time. We were averaging 750k - 1m credits per match, with a match about every 30 mins. And when we had absolutely no one to fight on the map we still made 300k credits and 82 loyalty points. I got rank 2 and 75% of rank 3 done in about 6 or 7 matches.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

I can't find a build that I can play effectively for the WHM-BW. I've got some abortion of a 2xUAC/5 and some medium lasers, but nothing that really takes advantage of the quirks and works well with my habit of getting in close and brawling. Standing back and sniping doesn't work well for me, so I need something that can fire fast and hard but won't generate an enormous amount of heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The clans were basically an expansion added to the TT. Initially it was all IS and things were pretty balanced over-all. Clans were added as an existential crisis for the IS, a big bad that everyone would have to destroy. They were OP as gently caress precisely because the idea was to give players something that they had to fight against at a disadvantage. A few people decided they liked to play clans and those people were universally terrible power-fantasy sperglords and the worst kind of TT and RPG min-maxers. In the rare instance that a clan player wasn't just a min-maxing twerp who wanted to be the biggest badass in the game shop Clan players were supposed to be hamstrung a little by the rules of engagement. Honor was a huge thing in the clans, so instead of focusing down one enemy all of the clan mechs were supposed to pick a target and go one on one. A clever IS player facing a Clan player who actually followed the ROE could use this to spread damage around his mechs while focusing down the clan player. The Clans were also supposed to engage in a competitive bidding process to figure out who commanded the attack which lead to Clans dropping with way lower tonnage. In a TT scenario it was generally assumed than an IS player would have anywhere from a third more tonnage to double the Clan weight.

Of course all of these are things that don't really translate to a game like MWO. Imagine if unquirked IS mechs and Clans using weapons with identical burn times and everyone having solid projectiles went at it, only the Clans were restricted to a 8 man team and the IS got 12, plus clan players only got credit for kills if they were the first one to damage the mech. That's more along the lines of what the TT balance was built around.

That reminds me of way back when - the Clans had just been added to TT about 6 months earlier, and a friend and I decided to go to an RPG store on a Saturday when they were doing a campaign. Just intended to watch, but the owner/referee needed more players and walked us through putting together a couple mechs and pilots and threw us in the match. The goal was for the Clans to take a city, but minimize the damage. Naturally the Clan players started dropping artillery strikes on every building after one of the IS players had ambushed them and inflicted heavy damage from a hollowed out building. So the referee dropped another lance of mechs on them as punishment. My friend was in a long-range mech and rolled a head-shot on one of the Clan mechs, and the player couldn't avoid the crit and died instantly. I'd seen plenty of kids throw tantrums, but never a guy in his 20s or 30s. He was completely losing his poo poo, and didn't stop until the owner threatened to ban him from the store for being a baby. The battle ended with half the Clan mechs shot to poo poo, 2 or 3 of them dead, their objective not accomplished, and the town pretty much destroyed. 0 exp for all the surviving Clanners. Up until that point they'd been stomping this poo poo out of the IS players, and the owner was so pleased with the turn in events he gave my friend and I complimentary boxes of the Battletech game. I bought more of the sets over the years, but they're all sitting in storage boxes in my mom's garage. I get the urge from time to time to go over to her house and dig through the all the crap and pull them out, but the sheer effort cuts the desire off.

• Locked thread