Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

BANNED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
A locust can get you up to 169.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Robot building tip time. LRMs are bad, and you should not use them. If you do use them, don't use them exclusively, and don't waste an assault spot on your team by building an assault LRM robot.

Solo queue is awesome if you don't give a gently caress. Make yourself a light mech that has either ECM or Radar Deprivation (or both) and do your own thing. Make an Ember with 4 flamers and 4 machine guns and go explore. Build a Spider with 12 jump jets and see how high you can climb. Grab a Locust and see if you can get 12 scouting bonuses before you die. Or, take a light that can do some real damage and go hunting LRM boats.

I found an Atlas DDC equipped with a Tag, LRMs, and ECM all by himself. Since LRMs can't hit anything within 190m, I just walked up to him, stood right in front of him, and shot one of his legs off. Then I just followed him around while he tried to limp himself to at least 190m away from me.

He was the last one left on the enemy team. Because he had ECM on, he didn't appear on the map. I was the only one on my team that knew where he was. I didn't volunteer his location. Instead, I just followed him around. I may have jumped on his head a couple times.

After a few more minutes, I let my team know where the LRM Atlas was. Shockingly, the first 3 teammates that arrived respected my request to not kill the Atlas right away. Instead, they just ran around him while he stood there being useless.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hey GIRLs. Would any of you absolutely hate switching between Liao and Clan Bird periodically? I will take all answers into advisement but it will most likely not affect my decision in the end.

I'm fine with it. I'm a GIRL for the cool tag and the Girl Power.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you activate the free week of premium time, does it also activate a month's worth of banked premium time?

https://mwomercs.com/rewards

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
The only thing wrong with the Executioner with 9 flamers is that it didn't have 13 flamers.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

Theorycrafting about robot teamwork is :pgi:

This isn't theory crafting though. It's a proven successful strategy.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have a timber with four medium pulses and four streak srms that I'm having a lot of fun with

Should I bother buying an executioner? God hand build looks funny. But something tells me buying two other firestarter and some quickdraws would be better.

How much do you care about Community Warfare? Also, how much do you care about getting your Basic level bonuses doubled vs playing with a different type of robot?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

To rain on your parade, it's also a 2/3 which means it's as fast as the stock Urbanmech and significantly slower than the Dire Wolf.

The redesign is pretty alright.

Good vision, high weapon mounts. It's one of those `Mechs that would also be really good since it's not an Omni so you could slap a bigger engine in it if 75 tons of being as fast as a Timberwolf and having (removable) Jump Jets isn't your thing.

No, seriously, the Black Python is just about best-in-show for Clan Heavy `Mechs. It's ugly as poo poo but dear lord it'd be pretty OP.

Also, that robot is a prime platform for some Mechashiva action. Look at the top of that torso - it even has two wide flat sections for the upper part of the Mechashiva to rest its feet.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

Corn's solution to this is a very enthusiastic assent followed by a sincerely confused "What?"

Repeat as necessary

Getting a vocal pubbie that's serious about the game is a treat. If you can't think of an awesome way to mess with them on the spot, being cheerfully stupid will almost always yield funny results. An added bonus, being stupid but cheerful is Silence proof.

Never angry, always happy, always uncertain.

:D "OK!"

:downs: "What?"

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh poo poo. Time to spend $1.8 million spacebucks to finish out my Locust collection. Other than the 1V and the pirate's bane, which one(s) are good passable?

Patton is right about the M. A single ER large is fantastic on it. Also, this might be one of the few IS builds that allows you to skip the double heat sinks.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
I want to buy a 3rd Dad during this sale event so I can finally Elite my current Dads. I have Ghost Dad and Loyalty Dad. What would be a good 3rd Dad?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Random Number posted:

I like the part where flamers actually add heat now.

Flamers were always able to add heat. The only thing this patch changes is that heat will now be applied to the target robot in addition to the firing robot.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Unhappy Meal posted:

They've only added and removed heat generation on the target like three times now. I give it a week before it's decided that once again Flamers generate too much Fun for the user while sucking it all out of the recipient.

When you think about it, isn't generating fun for the wielder and notfun for the recipient the goal of all weapons?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Executioner and the Hunchback 4p have lots of flamer mounts.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Amount of Damage per second has been decreased from 0.7 to 0.1.

This is a typo right?

It's supposed to be .7 to 1.0.....right?

The way it's written means flamers do no damage at all.

I think that's correct. The idea is that flamers do almost no physical damage, instead they do heat and mental damage.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Tonight I'm trying to get easy CBills by doing the Valentine's Day event in the solo queue. Also, I'm Tier 5. I decided to take my Hero loving Locust into the solo queue..

Tier5.jpg

I'm posting this screenshot not because I'm a good player, because I'm not. I'm extremely average at best. Tier 5 just makes me a a moderate fish in a tiny puddle. In this match I happened to find a kindred spirit in my friend Dhalsim. We each put a quarter into this game, we stuck together, I did my thing, he did his, we watched each other's backs, and this score card happened.

Tier 5.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
The worst thing about Tier 5 solo queue is Polar Highlands. If Polar Highlands is available for a vote, those jerks will always choose it. Always.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Pirates Bane with 4ML is pretty good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the excellence of the 4SPL Pirates Bane. The small pulse version of the PB is the best stealth puncher of butts that's I've ever seen.

^^edit^^ Yes, Tier 5 is shitloads of LRM boats.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
The important question: can we now make a flaming wolfpack that could overheat an enemy that isn't even firing?

Follow-up: if so, would that poor bastard be stunlocked or die from overheating despite being shut down, and would that count as a suicide?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

Read the notes,

NO

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

FLAMERS CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS

:supaburn: Steel Beams Kerensky reporting for duty sir! OH SEVEN! :supaburn:

Sard posted:

:getin:

The best 3,000,000 c-bills and 3,500 GXP I've ever spent.

A few months ago I drunkenly purchased the flamer range module. I wanted to see how far I could get that Locust M to fire its flamers when properly quirked out and with the module installed. I think it was something like 124m. Don't quote me on that though, because I may have been drinking at the time.

I'm looking forward to doing some serious [GIRL] flaming tonight. I'm going to try the obvious 4SPL 2Fl Arctic Cheetah, maybe an Executioner with a hand full of flamers, and I might possibly take the Ember out to play him the way he's meant to be played - 4 flamers and 4 machine guns.

If I'm reading those notes right, it looks like 10 flamers will generate the same amount of heat (for the person firing) as just one flamer, while inflicting 10x the amount of heat on the enemy - for the first 4.75 seconds of use. This could be fun.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
How could I forget The Wizard? I'll be rocking that lil dude for certain.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sard posted:

Surprise surprise, flamers broken as gently caress?

bonus russ tweet
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/699737573413908480

Russ is my hero. May him and Twitter never part ways.

In all fairness, at least before the patch hit you could do almost the same thing without a macro. Set weapon group 1 to fire all 4 of your flamers and weapon group 2 to chainfire all 4 of your flamers. Use weapon group 1 until they start generating heat, then chainfire with weapon group 2 to cool down. Before the patch I used to do this all the time to keep flamer graphics stuck in the eyes of robots that I was circling.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jimb posted:

Somebody invite Seadogs you nerds :argh:

Sent you an invite to GIRL. Take it if you like clans or having a [GIRL] tag. Decline it if you'd rather stay with WoL and roll with the bulk of the Goons in Inner Sphere robots.

Edit:
Just logged in a bit ago. The new flamer graphics are the saddest last second 11th hour effort I've seen since a quickly assembled Monday morning book report in grade school.

Lonjon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 17, 2016

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just you wait. Some day they will release Barbie Pink. When that day arrives I will happily pay my :10bux: to be the most fabulous robot in the galaxy.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

armchairyoda posted:

Always wub, all the time. And Corn? Get o

I should be able to robot tonight. Got myself two new bad jokes that I'm eager to try out.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was looking over the Phoenix Hawk stuff to see if they had a robot with both ECM and a cbill bonus. I couldn't find one. Did I miss it, or is there no Phoenix thing that has both?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have the Cheetah Prime I, and it is an excellent ECM money maker. I was thinking of getting a Phoenix Squawk if it had both ECM and a CBill bonus to it, but if that's not an option I'll just save my money for beer instead.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

This is how I Ironman:

COM-2D

If you're going to Ironman, all you need is a robot man painted with the right colors and a badass laser ball shooter in your hand.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't miss Windows 3.1, but I do miss Hotdog Stand.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Super 3 posted:

I need something to play to tank my rating I'm hovering dangerously close to three. Maybe mist lynxes or scats or novas, Grasshoppers are intriguing. With the novas I could go triple AMS for the impending Archer lurm-geddon.

Drive robots that do almost no damage. Machine guns should be the most damaging thing you take. Fill your energy slots with flamers. Put all this into the fastest robot you have. When the match starts, make it your personal goal to get 12 scouting bonuses.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been talking to a few people on Mumble about putting together small groups of helper Goon teams. The idea would be to make a lance of 4 or so fast mechs and outfit them with just support weapons (Tag, NARC, and optionally flamers). We would rush ahead of the other 8 members of our team and quickly scout, tag, and NARC as many of the enemy as we possibly can.

This will help our teammates get better by giving them valuable tactical map info, as well as giving them good targeting information for their LRMs to lock onto. And, even though we will be going fast and making first contact, our carrying just support weapons will mean that we won't be stealing kills from or detracting from the scores and cbill income of our teammates. We will quickly die doing this, but in doing so we will provide an invaluable benefit for our remaining team members.

Also, since we are likely to die early in each match, we will be able to quit the match, switch to a different helper mech in our mechbay, and help a different group of pubbies in a new match while our previous friends win their glory in the match that we just left. We will be able to help many, many people this way if we are quick and selfless!

It's worth pointing out that playing in this way might drop our pilot tier rating somewhat. Please don't get upset if you notice your Tier rating go down a bit.

I'll be on Mumble tonight. Join me if you'd like to join Tag Team!

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lonjon posted:

I've been talking to a few people on Mumble about putting together small groups of helper Goon teams. The idea would be to make a lance of 4 or so fast mechs and outfit them with just support weapons (Tag, NARC, and optionally flamers). We would rush ahead of the other 8 members of our team and quickly scout, tag, and NARC as many of the enemy as we possibly can.

This will help our teammates get better by giving them valuable tactical map info, as well as giving them good targeting information for their LRMs to lock onto. And, even though we will be going fast and making first contact, our carrying just support weapons will mean that we won't be stealing kills from or detracting from the scores and cbill income of our teammates. We will quickly die doing this, but in doing so we will provide an invaluable benefit for our remaining team members.

Also, since we are likely to die early in each match, we will be able to quit the match, switch to a different helper mech in our mechbay, and help a different group of pubbies in a new match while our previous friends win their glory in the match that we just left. We will be able to help many, many people this way if we are quick and selfless!

It's worth pointing out that playing in this way might drop our pilot tier rating somewhat. Please don't get upset if you notice your Tier rating go down a bit.

Well, a big honkin patch means I can't log in and help pubbies tonight. I'll be on tomorrow night though, and Tag Team will happen!

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
You are all being Very Rude! You should all strive to be more helpful to your fellow robot operators!

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Someone post that awesome chart/graphic Russ did.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Ghost Heat Explained by Paul:

I hope that explains everything

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lonjon posted:

Quoting myself because I'm doing this tonight. I even made some pretty sweet robots. Join me in Mumble if you feel like giving back to the community!

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Another thing that might help you with fighting lights is waiting for the enemy light to be running directly toward or directly away from you before you take your shot. If you're dogfighting another light this will happen often. Usually the light will try to move in a circle pattern. Catch him in the part of the circle where he's moving right at you or away from you. Makes it much easier to land your shots.

Dang, does that make sense? A better light pilot could explain it better I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Always have a keybinding set to fire all 12 at once. It's perfect for those times when you're surrounded and a half second away from death. "Only Corn kills Corn!". I guess you could also request people witness your action. Whatever.

• Locked thread