Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Brawling is back?! Well poo poo, going to mess with this again when the steam version launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Chomp8645 posted:

Keep in mind the minimum time we are talking about here is literally 5 minutes. I'd say that's a low effort enterprise in the grand scheme of things.

Its also a 8.6gb download, still not alot of effort involved but the idea of downloading a 9gb game to poo poo on it is another thing.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Kurzon posted:

I play an Ebon Jaguar that has dual ac 10s. What is a good amount of total damage I should aim for in pubbie matches?

Damage is a hard metric to judge things by in MWO due to how damage can be split among several parts. You can blow up a guys cockpit with alittle damage, or dump LRMs over mechs for tons of damage but never quite destroying the mech/component.

Seeing how many kills or components you destroy maybe better.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Hows the grind for mechbays in CW?

Kinda wanna avoid CW all together but need those mechbays.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Trying to get into CW kinda has the same problems as it did a year ago, theres way too many zones and not enough players to fill them all. Warframe kinda had the same issue, where it was kinda lovely starting since there'd be no one to join in your missions and you'd have to ask around in the clan often.

Would really prefer to skip CW entirely if it didn't have mechbays attached to it. Which is kinda another thing I've never liked paying just to store stuff that you collect in games, especially here where you need to XP 3 mechs to get the most performance out of whatever you're running.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I gotta quit trying CW, its too drat tedious to be any fun or just a drat stomp.

Easy event but poor rewards, can't even buy a mechbay with that MC.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Aesculus posted:

Does ghost heat still exist? Also what happened to all SRM-6 or AC20 catapults? It's been too many ages since I played, someone fill me in thanks.

Been running a stalker with 6 LLs and ghost heat doesn't really bother me, set all left lasers to 1, all right lasers to 2. Don't fire the second set until .5 seconds after the first.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Hows the grasshopper? Kinda itching to work up some heavies and the black knight will be around for c-bills next month.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 18, 2015

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Conquest is generally my preferred mode when solo queueing, falling behind on points usually forces one side to push on.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Pattonesque posted:

skip to like 24:30 in this video for why Atlas beats Dire at close range even though the Dire doubles his damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk1YTUzmdSk

Christ, Atlas are faster than I thought, my stalkers just hit 61 kph with 300std and speed tweak.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Nuebot posted:

I don't get it, why does everyone go nuts over them?

You're a mech that resembles a garbage bin.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Its weird, it probably takes into account of how much you participated in stuff like damage/kills/scouting/assists/etc.

Pulled out my drg-flame , man has it been ages since I've played with an ac/20. And then I mowed down everyone running around with their laser beams.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Nuebot posted:

So what's a good heavy or medium mech for missile spam? I have my light laser trashbin, my assault ballistic crab so now I need something with missiles.

If you're into IS mediums I'd check out centurion/shadow hawks/griffins.

Really fond of griffins myself, having those jets lets you be extra sneaky on certain maps. Or just popping up to dump SRMs into some dudes face.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Wished these sorta events were overall score instead of X amount needed per match, 150 isn't alot honestly but I felt lovely when I scored 99 for winning and capping points on conquest instead of brawling around.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Ice Fist posted:

I know I've been away from the game for a long time, but even while I was playing regularly ER Larges were always hot garbage in any scenario for either faction.

ER larges are what I roll with when I solo, its too easy for a brawl to go horribly wrong with how passive pubbies can be. Usually try to stick 3 of'em on a mech and then rest of energy hardpoints with small pulse lasers if possible.

veedubfreak posted:

To add to this, the stormcrow moves at over 100kph and carries more damage output than an IS heavy. It really is a dirty dirty mech. I just wish I could get my hands on one that had a cbill bonus. It just feels wrong playing a mech without the 30% bonus these days.

Hey atleast IS mechs have gotten better with the structure/armor quirks now, but jesus gently caress clan mechs when those things were released.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
They only generate 1 more heat than LLs, not a massive hit if you're playing the pop and cover game.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Ice Fist posted:

You've convinced me to give them a whirl on my sniper Stalker.

Got my stalkers elited a few days ago then sold them off. Great hardpoints on those things but not quite for me.

Wished they could either go faster or spread damage better. I swear 70% of incoming damage always goes into LT/RT.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Heres this awesome I saw yesterday

It all came down to a cicada vs him 1v1, he was shot in the face/butt and dieded.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Conquest is way better than the other modes since theres more variety to how you can handle it, and it generally resolves quicker than the 15 minute timer if people get too campy.

I think the dumbest thing I see people do is having half the team capping a point when you just need a single fella and the rest can advance onwards.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
The C/H mechs are nice for the 30% CB boost, some have unique hardpoints like the stalker hero having a ballistic in the torso. Huginn used to have like 50% cd for srm4 which allowed it to vomit missiles at a comical rate.

Theres this metamech site with its tier lists I've seen around http://metamechs.com/mwo-tier-lists/is-list/ .

Drakes fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 26, 2015

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I'll probably bump for either a $15 or $30 MC pack, thinking of messing with some ballistic mechs and leaning towards cataphracts.

TVDinna posted:

So I played some CW since I hadn't gotten rank 2 yet on Jade Falcon and I had to wait a little bit longer before that contract ended so I could join WoL.
It doesn't feel too bad in quick matches, but I don't know what it is, but CW as clan as easy as gently caress.
I was in a pure pug group but we still beat an 8 stack of some IS clan dropping together. It was a close game, but when it's pug vs pug, it just turns to a straight stomp.
Leaning towards clan are just op as hell, but probably a lot of new space poors just going IS route since those are cheaper to buy than clan mechs. IS trials are probably a lot worse than clan trials too?

I'd say IS are probably stronger in organized play since they can run their stuff less hot, and specialize hard for their needs. But its harder to gently caress up with pubbie clans since everyones builds will be more uniform especially with how you can't put on a lovely engine.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 26, 2015

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Whelp got all my quick match stockings, now theres the 75 CW ones :shepface:.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

The Repo Man posted:

With the way it's worded I figured the number of points didn't change, just that they could take more hits at the current value (so 10 points of armor taking a 12% reduction in damage vs 10 points of armor taking normal damage, similar to how armor works in, say, battlefield 2142). Whenever anyone said ferro was poo poo, I just thought it was because most people try to jam as much in their mech as possible, so even with "better protection" you were loosing 14 slots without loosing as much weight as endo. If I had Googled "Ferro Fibrous MWO" I probably would have known waaaaay sooner why goons hated ferro so much. It makes way more sense now.

The wording is poor, but you can sorta get the gist of what it does when your armor value doesn't change and your tonnage allowance goes up by 1-1.5 tons.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Wished the bog map had like 50% less bloom/mist/fog/foliage, its kind of hard to focus on anything in the distance.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Damned clanners with all their long ranged gizmos :argh:, well you gotta roll with the energy range quirks if you want medium lasers to get that bit of range. Or run something like 2-3 LLs then fit rest of hardpoints with SLs/SPLs for better heat management in brawling range, while using LLs to burn any free heat you've got.

Kinda wished there was a 2m infinite use consumable variant of arty/coolant/uav, even if you could only fit it on one mech.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Well I had 1 grasshopper sitting around since I really got into this steam release so I decided to elite a set, they're kinda alright if you grab the ones with the energy hardpoints on the shoulders. They're abit taller than most mechs which lets you peek abit better while being a larger target, but they're also quite thin too making their weapons converge alittle better.

Also playing with some cataphracts which are like the opposite of grasshoppers, short, stout, weapons don't converge as well but dual/triple UAC/5s are a motherfucker.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Really should of asked this awhile ago but did they ever resolve the engine thing where speed was capped at 140kph?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Takkaryx posted:

I got the marmoset, and have been trying to find a good fit for it, but that's mostly because I'm new. Should I be packing ballistics because of the perks, or just 3 large lasers? Gauss? Help :ohdear:

The quirks, read the quirks!

Unless you're clans, then do the gently caress whateveroverheatandexplode.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Getting one shot is pretty hard to do unless its some serious clan gimmick build, or someone just ate an ammo explosion.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's a fun mech but it still suffers from having liken the largest torso hitboxes in the game, sadly.

I think it spreads damage better than the stalker atleast :v:, those things seemed notorious for losing side torsos immediately.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bait and Swatch posted:

Was the TTK always so short in this game? Seems like lasers strip off armor way to fast. I ran around with the stormcrow trial just hitting everyone center mass, and internals seem to get exposed awfully fast.

Clans just have better alphas than IS mechs, their lasers do more damage per shot with the need to focus for alittle longer. Not to mention how they can just strap more weapons on with omnipods and lower weight all across.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
People always bitch when its a map that shits on energy boats, but yeah alpine is seriously the worst map if you haven't packed anything with more than 500m range.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Pattonesque posted:

no it wouldn't because it's got a lot of rolling hills that serve as cover. I'm talking specifically about Candy Mountain

You mean murder hill.

gently caress that mountain, whoever gets up there first usually has a huge advantage going on.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Been having good times with the griffin-3m. With how turtlely pub games get, playing poptart with SRMs to the face have done pretty well.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Thats pretty much it, heck if anything the side torso falls off with the arm or something. So yup center torso would be remaining.

And heres someone making their mech more complex than it needs to be :eng99:.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bait and Swatch posted:

Their whole model is dumb. I actually considered spending money on this game to buy a timberwolf, then saw it would cost about $25. gently caress that, it just reinforces that I won't spend anything. If things were cheaper I would spend more overall, but with their current model I don't want to spend anything.

Pricing feels alittle inflated since they're selling you 3 variants of a mech for those elite bonuses. Haven't bought much in this game aside from hero mechs and mechbays.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Components/ammo get ruined by crits, crits can occur once armor has been stripped off a section of your mech. When you get crit it basically cripples one of the slots, so larger weapons like the AC/20/gauss are easier to ruin than smaller weapons.

Then theres crit seeking weapons like MGs, LB-X AC/10, flamers, and ac/2 that have increased chance to crit.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Sard posted:

I bought the ON1-M on a whim to use all the cbills from playing lights and mediums recently, since I really like the idea of a giant shotgun robot. This turned out to be a terrible decision oh my god even the Vindicator is more fun and effective than this. I got a spare XL 300 engine out of it and I'll keep using it until I have the basics, in case I go back to the Orion chassis, but I'm gonna sell it immediately after. I still really want to have fun with shotguns, though, so: Is the CN9-D any better or at least more usable?

SRMs are the shotguns of MWO.

Avoid the LBX-ac/10 in general.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

A.o.D. posted:

To be fair, of all the f2p games I've encountered, MWO's is one of the least offensive when it comes to the paywall.

Its not too bad when it comes to allowing you to grind towards stuff, although I find the pricing structure to be really off putting if you wanted to throw real cash to skip the grind due to larger mechs costing much more.

That said I've probably made worse worse purchasing decisions with some mobile games :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
SRM4s have a tighter spread than SRM6s, they're slightly more reliable for coring mechs overall.

• Locked thread