Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Battlemaster 1s makes a fun alternative as an srm brawler. Missiles refire really fast with quirks and modules and it can be a bit quicker than the splatlas. Shame its so fragile though. Its actually fatter than the atlas with much less hp and no ablative appendages :/

splatlas is loving amazing though. During a press the first assault mech I see is going to die. If he's standing next to a heavy both of them are going to die. Then I'll maul a third assault/heavy before going down in a blaze of glory. I honestly think I'm packing more ammo than I'll ever use on this thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Willfrey posted:

he wants to play like an elite player, blasting one mech with his arm weapons and another with his torso

Why would this be a thing you want to do? The fastest way to kill robits is to focus fire. The surest way to ensure your team takes less damage while continuing to do more damage to them is to kill robits.

I mean poo poo sounds great in fluff "In a virtuoso display of mech piloting Phelan Allard-Liao aimed his topmost chest pulse laser at the atlas, and the lower one at michael stackpoles bad writing, scoring hits against both" but in practice it's kinda dumb.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Oh good, they are putting the archer in? One more mech for me to pack out with SRM's + Artemis. Should be funny when someone runs up to it in literally any other mech and goes "Lol LRM boat" then promptly gets shredded.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Willfrey posted:

Still haven't got any solid answers for the IIC mechs, will their hardpoints be swappable? Are the engines swappable?

Engines yes, hardpoints no. They aren't omni's.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Shadowrun was outstanding.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Do you consider drive by "game is bad" posts as "irrationally angry"?

Because I haven't seen anyone get real invested in calling it a bad game. Just calling it and leaving for the most part.

Downloading a game and playing it just so you can leave a negative review seems kinda stupid and cringeworthy.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MadWOPR posted:

If everyone who didn't like the game followed this logic, the steam reviews would be a++

So? The meta is actually in a pretty good place right now. My biggest gripe about the game as it stands at the moment is the absurd monetization scheme.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zebulon posted:

A properly built and used Atlas could probably take down or cripple an entire lance by itself honestly. SRMs are in a drat good place and sheer chuftiness, along with their structure quirks and people normally fixating on taking down the right side torso because of the gun, means you're probably going to get plenty of time to make use of them.

I use my Atlas as a lance breaker, I just march it into wherever people are giving hard looks and I smash things. Usually I can kill any two mechs I see then maul a few more before going down.

EDIT: I remember last night I was stomping the hell out of two heavies and a dumbass in a blackjack kept plinking at me with AC/2's. I turned and gave him all of my SRM tubes and followed up with an AC/20 to his CT, he blew up real nice in no more timespan than it took to mouse over him.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am mildly disappointed that whoever did the preview didn't spin the PGI logo in a 360 degree circle a couple of times.

I want you to restart your lets play battletech to a few years before the amaris civil war, mackies stomping around all over the place. Please.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

I always thought the Gaussapult was an XL? CPLT-K2

Yeah requires an XL engine, and that you strip armor from the arms. Also it's depreciated as gently caress because imo gently caress gauss. I'd rather pack dual AC20's at this point.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Then put as many C-UAC5s on there as you can and enjoy. Also C-UAC10. I run a Warhawk kitted out with two of those and it makes people rage.

You could just B33f it and chase down their LRMboats for "point blank AMS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

This video is brilliant.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vorenus posted:

Any thoughts on this? It's a Streakcrow but with dumbfire SRMs. I don't think I've ever seen one of these, but I think it looks like an amazing facewrecker.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=185&l=c4202ed97426c7b5cac94230a9cbcd9625eb1dd0

I've already built this. It's great. Just hide behind assaults and pop out/steal their kills.

EDIT: And if you can get behind the other team, which isn't hard with this boat you can shred butts.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 16, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Well obviously, what did you think would happen with the amazing bastion of technology that is the Urbanmech on your side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0 (Always a classic)

This is brilliant.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pooncha posted:

If you have a stormcrow, you could replace the mad dog with that. :shobon:

Correct option anyways.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I like when I'm a giant super slow crab, basically just a mobile artillery, and random players just dash in front of me to fire their small lasers at the missile launching robot in front of us. :( At least the enemy got the credit for the kill instead of me.

I have no problem shooting teammates in the back, especially if I'm in a dakkawolf and they are blocking me so they can plink with whatever dumb bullshit is in their robot. Oops just stripped all of your back armor, sorry idiot.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DancingShade posted:

To add to this assaults in general are difficult if you don't know what you're doing. Same with lights. Both require good situational awareness and positioning which frankly won't be something you have until a bit of in game experience.

If you want to learn the ropes I strongly recommend mediums and heavies. Especially mediums actually because you have enough flexibility in terms of role to configure them into whatever you want and give no fucks. Ultimately it's up to you though - pick whatever you want and go for it.

Just never forget the art of torso twisting. Seriously.

I'd argue heavies are the best bang for the buck a new person can get. Tanky enough to survive mistakes, and do enough damage to make you feel like you have contributed.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

By "pressing" i meant "spend day and night reaching 75/75 games".
Ofc i wont uninstall now, but im not missing out on anything crucial.

Also the gift-mech seems... lame?
I mean the cannon is nice, but no chance for lasers?

put srm's in it you big dummy.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

good LRM boat variant.

uh.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vorenus posted:

Arguing LRMs is comparable to a political debate: Minds are made up and best case scenario is "Yeah I know I'm wrong but I like my way better so LOLogic"

I decided to test LRM's to see what the big draw was.

LRM's suck. The only draw is "I can stand way back here and not be shot at"

I blew through something like 4 tons of LRM ammo to get a whopping 250 damage done for the fight. Woo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I feel like if they did a little bit better damage or had a tighter spread they could be "Not garbage".

As it stands the only time they even come within spitting distance of "Good" is when some poor fool is out in the open and 2-3 LRM boats are focusing him. And even then the poor fool would die even faster if say those 3 LRM boats were firing large lasers at him.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah just wiggle the nose on your marauder to tank damage. It's great. I was cored out in about 3 seconds the other day while in full wiggle mode making me think maybe aimbots are a thing.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Let me hold on to my delusions of adequacy :colbert:

EDIT: As a christmas present to myself I bought the mauler pack (Because it's one of my fave battlemechs) and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

I never would have figured slapping 3 LBX AC-10's into a battlemech along with SRM's would actually work worth a poo poo. It actually works really well, and light mechs just disintegrate.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 29, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bait and Swatch posted:

Yeah, I get that. Being equal to the other side would be what makes sense though, and that is not what is currently in place. Tonnage restrictions make sense, but the current system of large teams having a tonnage limit that is not even close to equal with random pugs does not make sense when there is an in game voip.

Counterpoint: Goons have fought and won against some really heavy drops running 3 ghost dads and packs of urbanmechs. Just because the pubbies are talking to eachother doesn't mean they are listening.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Photex posted:

I actually did this on Saturday with a Raven, except I ran all the way to the edge of the map (Terra Therma) shutdown and waited for mechs to walk by and shot 3 of them in the butt, the whole time my team raging that it was against the rules.

Beautiful :allears:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
No

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Willfrey posted:

The one true Direwolf build is 2 Gauss, 2 LPL, 3 ML.

Yeah maybe before Gauss sucked.

Now it's 2 UAC10 3 UAC5, all hail the dakkawolf.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Pub matches seem to always run into WWI recreations with big mechs where everyone just bunkers up and takes pot shots at each other

It's the worst (unless you're a light, then it's the best)

This is the assaults job to break.

Nothing ruins a pack of pubbies day while they are hard at work wearing down their W and S keys behind some cover wub wubbing more than an Atlas D-DC or S marching around a corner with a direwolf and the rest of his team behind. He doesn't wear out his S key, he leaves a stack of quarters on W and just loving goes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

one thing that is important to consider in an assault (especially in an Atlas) is that sometimes you will have a low-damage game where you die first and the fact that you did so won the game for your team

Cannot quote this enough. One match where I definitely won it "For the team" was on forest colony. I was in my AC20 4xSRM6 Atlas. Our team and theirs were seperated by about 300 meters and a hillock doing that peak and poke faggotry that pubbies are wont to do with a small contingent of goons joining in. Thanks to lights I saw where the enemy pubs were all grouped up and marched my Atlas the long way around to them so I'd be facing some butts (I'd have had an awkward time coming in the front due to hills/terrain/etc, basically a straight push would have lead us to be picked apart). So I ran up the enemy teams butts and fired off a couple of salvos as a "Hey, guess what an assault is here!" the entire team turned to face me, at which point our team managed to limp over the broken terrain and get buttshots on pretty much their entire team.

I managed to completely neuter a direwolf before blowing up. But by the time they finished killing me, 6 of them had gone down to buttshots from our team.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Honestly having played both I prefer the Artemis SRM6 crow to the streak crow, because I can just dump and run without waiting for locks, and the spread is tighter.

Sure range is shorter but dats life.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Nobody does CW so it's a non issue as to which you join.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

This works, too. But we're not going Davion. :colbert:

We can go davion and just roleplay that we're st ives. So basically capellans.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ezekeel posted:

Bought 3 DWF. What is a good build to skill up these guys in solo queue? I am currently using 4xUAC5 4xERML but thinking about switching to a more long range build like 2xGauss 2xLPL or something. Just too hard to get into a good firing position in these chaotic PUG matches. And with a long range setup I could just hang back and snipe.

2 UAC10 3 UAC5. Ever seen a mech blow up in under 3 seconds? You will with this build.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
tbh if you aren't a complete moron you can make just about any mech "Work". Except the slow 25 ton clan light. The only way it could be made to work is if you could upgrade the engine, and you can't so lol.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

LRMs are bad, mmkay?

Every once in a while I get this wild hair up my rear end because I want to see why pubbies loooooooove LRM boats. So I'll fire one up and crap missiles at people. Then promptly top out at about 200 damage and wonder why anyone bothers. Meanwhile if I put SRM's in the place of the LRM's three volleys will put me way over 200 damage.

Tindahbawx posted:

I thought this game was dead, but this thread seems to have picked up momentum again.

Did PGI manage to do something good with their game?

Is it worth playing again? I've not really touched it since a few months after launch.

Mechs got quirks to make them less prone to immediately blowing up, ghost heat is still there but it's dialed back, SRM's got buffed. All of this equates to those big brawls being back in a big way.

Pubbies still haven't really cottoned to brawls being back. This means if you can get 6-8 goons in brawl mechs working together they can absolutely destroy the other team.with 80 damage alpha strikes while the other team fires back in their crappy 15-30 damage sniper builds.

EDIT: Basically goons getting in amongst a sniping team with a ghost dad/splat mechs resembles what would happen if a pride of lions got set loose in a flock of retarded sheep. Just a lot of bleeting and explosions of blood dampened wool.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 12, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Because being shot at is scary! Pubbies just want to hide and shoot people without being shot back at, so they love LRMs and ERLL gunlines.

I'm just hyper aggressive I guess. This is why I prefer assaults, because when I get aggressive the whole team usually follows me. When I pub drop and the pubbies are all peaking and poking I'm virtually pacing in my mech and I usually go out in a blaze as I solo rush in something I have no business doing such a thing in.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pooncha posted:

It'd be funny if everyone using cheats has a big red DISHONORABLE sign over their head that shows through walls and remains even if they're dead or out of range.

Hey, the MechWarrior games did it, may as well stay true to game canon. :iamafag:

Always makes you lockable to LRM, player literally relegated to camping inside tunnels at all times.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

teepo posted:

if there is one thing that pisses off a select number of goons is not joining a brawl when you're running a build optimized for shooting poo poo at 400-500 meters back

Because if it ultimately breaks down into a brawl the more mechs within the brawl to absorb outgoing damage the better. It doesn't matter what you run at that point, provided you aren't a lurm mech you'll still be doing the same damage as peek and poke (Probably more) AND you'll be absorbing some of the aggregate incoming damage from the brawl. What the gently caress is not to get here?

I feel like there's this whole publord mentality that if you get yer mech dirty you've already lost and I'm shocked that goons are championing it.

Oh and FYI: Peek and poke is no where near dominant at the moment outside of CW. In just about every map outside of alpine and sometimes canyon if you can get your team to follow you into a brawl you've pretty much already won. The only time it doesn't win is when half the team is lobbing lurms. Just about any other map with a good D-DC/S pilot you can force a close confrontation.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 13, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I will amend it by saying medium/light snipers aren't that big a deal, but if you are heavy and up: please be in the brawl. There's nothing worse than finding out the last guy alive is a 4x LRM Atlas 7s, considering one of those properly kitted out can kill half a team by itself :cripes: (This happened to me twice in pubdrops this week).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

teepo posted:

this isn't even an issue of peeking and poking, which is roll only suited for smaller mechs and is perfectly valid playstyle but an overall issue that when your mech is built to be most effective sitting several hundred meters back, then you don't force your way into a brawl and are more effective sitting back and shooting away. what the gently caress is not to get here?

Unless you are packing lurms/PPC's i.e. things that are questionable use anyways, your large lasers hit just fine up close (And pretty much everything works within 250m) and if anything you'll do more accurate component damage, so congrats on the "Non argument" I guess?

Or do you just not know how weapons work in this game? Like someone told you that you literally had to be at optimal range to get full damage for every weapon system? Literally everything is better the closer you are due to aiming/travel time, including lurms and PPC's if you can skirt the ranges where they are useless.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Yeah I'm sorta-aware of how to pilot them, it's more "are they incredibly easy to headcap like the good old days?"

The only thing that really fucks up lights bad is other lights and medium streak boats if the light is played well. I'm sure jenners are more explody than a cheater but a good pilot in a jenner is still going to have a good time.

EDIT and yeah I haven't had that many headshots since coming back. It's not like the "Oh you stopped, gaussapult go!" days.

• Locked thread