Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So, I'd like to give this a try, and I'm willing to spend a modest amount of money to improve the starting experience. What would the thread recommend I look at in the $20-40 range, if anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I already did! But they pushed the backer beta to who knows when!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Game is fun. Maybe it's gotten better over the last few years, or maybe I've just been inured to f2p by modern standards, but the pay model doesn't seem that bad at all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Why do people vote for big, flat maps?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I just want to barf SRMs all over people.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I got to flank an entire team today in my brawlie Timber and came away with seven kills. I really like this game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Should I be banking my GXP/Not buying modules? From what I'm reading, it sounds like both are going away sometime in the near future?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I am lurming because I want some money for another mech. It is very boring.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Are there enough goons playing that groups are even a thing that happens?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is there a decent guide to community warfare anywhere? I'd like to try it, but it seems like the penalty for leaving a faction is high(?) so I don't want to gently caress it up. Is the Clan unit mentioned in the OP still active'ish?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bummer! QM is fun, but CW sounds interesting.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Do we have a Discard/Mumble for this game?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Do, uh, you not get event credit if you leave a match before it's complete? Cause that would suck.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, good. Cause I better get credit for that Cicada I killed while it was lugging a power cell.

Edit: Woo! It just updated, and I did. Thank god.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

I just spectated a round where the survivors (5v1) prolonged the match for 8 minutes so they could farm the power cells.

Had this happen in a group game yesterday. On the one hand, it's kind of a dick move, but on the other, I don't blame them for wanting to be done with the challenges.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I got lucky with my Fuel Cell kill. A Cicada stood and fought the Streak Shadowcat I'd set up to finish that challenge. He easily could have run away, but I'm glad he didn't, cause that challenge is stupid. It should be a KB, KMDD, or even a loving assist because your target has zero incentive to fight and is usually faster than you.

Edit: I also got it really early on. Every Incursion I get now is full of other mediums that are headhunting carriers, and it'll likely get even more bottlenecked as more people pile up on that being their last challenge.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 23, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If it's a choice between 5 vs. 6 tons of ammo or 22 vs. 23 DHS then I can see the Mk. I being worthwhile since the difference either way is fairly incremental.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So this isn't by chassis, and there's a separate skill tree for every single variant? That seems... excessive, and needlessly complicated.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 26, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm also confused as to why they've opted to refund older modules in a different currency than the one used to purchase them. Is it some technical limitation? Because if not, that seems like inviting trouble for no reason.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's like the sat down and tried to make a skill tree even more bloated and obtuse than the one in Path of Exile.

For Reference:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It also seems like you have to reconfigure the whole tree and pay a respec premium if you want to change a chassis loadout, which is another one of those things you'd think any game in 2017 ought to know better than to make you do.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Along with the engine changes, it makes me worry that the game will be nothing but Poptarts come patch day.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"Make sure that the optimal way to play is also the fun way."

There's nothing inherently wrong with Poptarting, but because competitive players will tend to drift toward the inherent advantages it has to be kept in mind when designing systems. Otherwise, it takes over and nobody ever gets to play a different style ever again. As for the patch, I messed around on the PTS a bit and it seems like both MASC and JJs might need a nerf if they go ahead with the mobility changes. Mechs with either one easily outperform their competition and the handful with both are just bonkers, as you can see in the video Commoners posted.

Edit: I still do like the big stompy robit game, though. And one thing I do like about the patch is not needing three copies of a chassis to master the only one worth piloting. That's a big plus for a newcomer pleb with only a dozen or so mechs.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 28, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It does mean the only `Mechs you'll see are the 'optimal' chassis though. Especially since their skill--I hesitate to call it a tree, but "skill Habsberg Genealogy" doesn't have the same ring to it--promotes grinding on one chassis over and over until the sun burns out.

It's hardly ideal, but I do think the current system of needing to purchase and grind sub-optimal variants is decidedly worse. It's especially comical with Omnimechs, where the only thing you're "buying" is the CT.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Skoll posted:

And good luck if you want to try different loadouts. Instead of having three mechs of different variants, you'll have to buy three of the same variant of the same mech just to experiment with different poo poo.

Not quite. You can "purchase" all of the skill nodes on a variant, but only 91 can be active at a given time. The initial purchase costs 45k C-bills and 800 XP per node. Once you own it, a node can be deactivated for free and reactivated for 400xp. So a full respec would cost 36.5k XP.

Which is... still not great. That's a pretty steep price to respec your mech. Of course, you probably wouldn't need to change all 91 nodes, but the fact that you have to pay XP to swap your loadout at all is a huge loving bummer.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 28, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

please link that when you have the chance or at least tell me which subforum it's in tia

The Hate for LRMs is getting to the point of racism

quote:

your looking down upon some one for a weapon type this is stooped and childish and you know it

LRMs are a meh weapon and your harassing people for it

look at the forms all these threads abut LRM hate

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/199980-hostility-towards-lrm-players/

^he was asked to leave the game for weapon choice

this is childish and ******* ********

that is why im asking you the MWO community to ask PGI to add weapon harassment to the list of warning/temp ban hand outs

it is no longer a joke this hate is getting out of hand

iv been in games were people TK the LRM boat for having LRMs

you look down upon some one for a weapon type in a video game

how pathetic do you have to be to harass some over this

im going to stop this stupidity one way or another

PS. your driving out players from a game with such a small player base lets see how great your #META is when no one is playing

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The forums are a sad place. They serve as a constant reminder that the BT fan community is populated almost exclusively by aging white nerds who are growing progressively more jaded as the world leaves them further and further behind. I don't like how that reflects on me. Not one bit!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Steam, cause I prefer to run as many of my games as I can from a single launcher.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It looks okay? I mean, I like the concept art a bit more, but the 3D model is fine.

It's the Annihilator that got the really poo poo model.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 1, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They've even said that the missile pods vanish when not in use, so yeah, it'll have a good peeking profile and solid hitboxes.

Edit: Probably it's only real downside is that none of the variants can mount more than one torso ballistic.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 1, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is invasion not the CW thing anymore?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, that's hideous. Like, the #1 thing this game needs is more modes. Quick play is fun, but after 100+ hours there's only so much it can offer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

I once saw a Spirit Bear running LRM20 and an LBX20 and I was able to just shoot him in the CT over and over in a vindicator while staying still and killed him.

This one makes me extra sad because the only reason to pay the premium for the Spirit Bear to so you can have the best Brawler in the game. Plenty of mechs, even heroes, can boat lurms, but nothing gives murder hugs like the SB.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I like being able to go faster than 5kph. Part of being the best at brawling is the ability to get in range sometime before the heat death of the universe, so I'll take MASC over the extra structure quirks any day.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anyone able to send me a unit invite so I can do silly event thing?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nymh

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

gently caress do I hate Locusts. They're not even a huge threat, but they are infuriating. I suppose that's exactly the what the mech should be, but still!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'll probably be doin' stuff from 3pm (pst) when the event starts until I have to leave for work or get bored or whatever.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Artificer posted:

What happened during the loss?

Caustic Valley. Didn't run the P-Hawks and got out brawled.

I also nearly threw our last game by calling the dropship early cause I thought we were on gather and not defend.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

The Huntsman should be good for Clan scouting, is it?

If you plan to brawl, yeah. Pack it full of SRMs and go to town.

• Locked thread