Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Apostate and I are Shadow Cat bros. Together, we killed 8 out of 12 of them in HPG Manifold, together clutching the round with 4 enemies left and doing about 2 thousand damage between the both of us.

Shadow Cat bros forever!

The only problem I have with this is the "bro" part- it might work for you, but not for me. :j: That said, we make a great team! Two Shadow Cats played well are more than the sum of their parts, being sure that one of us can shoot butts at all times is such a huge advantage. Especially on HPG- it's the perfect playground for Shadow Cats with that gigantic circular wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm thinking of buying 3 firestarters while the sale is going. My understanding is that it's a pretty good base for running in circles and shooting assaults in the rear end.

Two questions: would it be better to do that or just buy 2 more cicadas to go with the event one I already have? I know the cicadas play differently, so not having essentially 3 of the same mech might be a good thing.

Second, if I go with the 3 firestarters, which 3 variants?

3 of the same mech (different variants) is how you get to elite skills, which is super important.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

TheStampede posted:

So I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I'm sitting on 12 mill, and I have a choice. Do I a) buy the Stormcrow, or b) cash in my Shadow Cat and go for a Timber Wolf?

I have an XL kitted out Thunderbolt as well. CW isn't a huge issue, but eh, it's supposed to be the thing, eventually. The Stormcrow is pretty sex looking, but having more guns and armor then my Thunderbolt while still being maneuverable would be nice.

Don't sell your shadow cat(s). Once you know how to make it dance, you'll have a wonderful time.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I threw these together in a post-surgical haze so I have no idea if they're reasonable or not.

WHM-BW
WHM-6D
WHM-6R
WHM-7S

e: probably a good idea to switch out the PPCs for LPLs.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 20, 2016

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Vorenus posted:

So the problem with the Scat isn't the hitboxes. Well, it is, but it's also the limited pod space, horrible omnipods, and the general fact that apparently PGI designed this mech to troll anyone who thought the Stormcrow in any way representative of the average Clan medium.

In short, like most Mechs in MWO, it is a literal piece of useless poo poo.

On the other hand, 2 cLPLs on an extremely mobile platform with ECM can swing games.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Bored Grunt posted:

If I wanted to be a terrible person and give PGI more money, any opinions on which is the better buy right now between the marauder and warhammer?

I mostly stick to ballistic and wub wub wub.

I'd go with the Warhammer for wubs, but the Marauder does ballistics better.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Why must you insult my baby?

The SCat is godlike

SCat supremacy

SCat buddies for life

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

You get one shot before your core goes supernova.

Hit a mech in the right place and you might make it an okay trade :v:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Some of those scores on the leaderboards are insane- I had to fight tooth and nail just to break 3000 on the WHM-6D. Anyone else do OK?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

WHM-6D "Wubhammer"

I really like this robot. WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB

2 LPLs and 5 MPLs with energy heat quirks and range quirks, along with range mods for both weapons and a cooldown mod for the LPLs and you have a stupidly potent machine. If you can get six solid volleys a round, you've contributed just fine.

With modules, the lasers' optimum ranges are 457m and 275m, which is pretty good for pulses. The LPL cooldown module brings them perfectly in sync with the MPLs, but it's not really necessary. I run that one in the mastery slot, so if you can't have something, have Not That.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 26, 2016

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Stringbean posted:

Put your LPL on your Torso. A much better location for where they're mounted, and you don't risk the chance that they get blown the gently caress off. If you downgrade to an XL280 you could do 3x LPL and 4(5 if you wanna run hotter)x MPL. Here's mine:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=383&l=5d0eb1fc17ca9eea308e92028a6001a3f0089c79

Anyone got a Grid Iron, wanna share their builds? It comes with Gauss but I suckdon't like Gauss. So here's my build so far:

GRID IRON

It has a missile mount, but putting on missiles lowers my AC5 ammo :|

vvv Bought it with a bundle. So don't know how that works out. vvv

I prefer having the MPLs in the torso- if I put two in each arm, I lose more firepower from a busted arm than I would from losing one LPL.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Bolow posted:

LPL does almost as much damage as 2 MPL's (11 for LPL, 6 Per MPL), has longer range and generates less heat :ssh:

:shrug: the asymmetry messes with me as well.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Comrade Merf posted:

Flying Debris the head art guy for PGI went through the effort of redrawing most of the old Protomechs.

He's also did the art for all the new protomechs from the newer protos and super protomechs that come in later.

That's actually pretty good, yeah.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

For 12 it's 500/600.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Three mechs of same chassis to get access to elite skills of said chassis.

Three variants of the same chassis, so for example you can't just buy the same robit over and over and only go up one mech skill tree.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if more than one flamer can apply heat at a time.

We need to do a 9 urbie 3 ghost dad night again, this time with all of the urbies have to take flamers.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Number19 posted:

It's a work in progress. You should be hearing more about it soon.

Any word on how many flamers will apply heat at once?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Raged posted:

Think I touched a nerve with my "There will be no ban wave"" thread. That seems to have gotten deleted too. Most of the people that replied agreed.

Time to argue with support

Edit: Suggest me some good names. After reading the code of conduct I have to give them 3 names.

Helios Ban Wave Kerensky

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I use arm lock for some mechs- any time I have a bunch of lasers on both arms and torsos, I'm going to want all of those lasers to hit one point.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

With a steak crow, does it make sense to split the missiles up into 2 fire groups, or do you just eat the ghost heat because it's not significant?

Split it. Half a second isn't a big deal, especially for streaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Stringbean posted:

Warhammers are up for C-Bills. I can't stress enough how awesome these mechs are and how people need to buy them right now. You're welcome in advance.

Riflemen are up for MC. Don't buy them with MC. We'll laugh at you.

All of this is accurate. Warhammers are solid machines.

• Locked thread