Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Question about faction play dropship rewards: Do they offer increased capacity or what?

I learned the hard way that i cant fit 1 timberwolf, 1 mad dog 1 ebon jaguar and a cheetah in the same shortbus... so i must either strip some weight off the timber or reconsider the ebon jag, which i wouldnt want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

That's 230 tons, right? You should be able to do that.

Timber = 100
Ebon Jag = 65
Mad Dog = 60
Cheetah = 30

Totals at 255, and current dropship can carry 250.
So either 5 tons off the timber, or ditch the jag... OR the next dropship can carry 5 tons extra?

EDIT: i actually meant DIRE wolf, not Timber Wolf. Too many loving animals around.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 21, 2015

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pooncha posted:

If you have a stormcrow, you could replace the mad dog with that. :shobon:

Dont have one, and its ugly as poo poo, so i doubt ill ever have one.

Still, what about those dropship upgrades?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Is there really no intbetween "12v12 no respawn deathmatch" and "get obliterated by 12man premade with 3 respawns"?
Like a random 12v12 with respawns and not faction bound?

I dont really like committing to play premade obliteration for a week with only one faction, but i cant really stomach random deathmatch so i stick to 1week clans / 1 week sphere at the moment...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So how does this work, do i just play and then at some point i have a new mech in my inventory or do i need to register and pick up something or what?
Im fairly new to this game, so every free mech is golden to me while i save up for a clan assault.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ you have to go here http://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201512stocking and log into the website. The "tickets" are at the bottom of the page.

If I'm using my arms as shields (IE: there's nothing in there) I like to have a single point of armor in them. It will look pristine (bright yellow) at first, but after the first salvo it will look as an "open" location, and pubbies will aim explicitly for that. Doubly true on the big stupid ears of a Catapult K2 if you're running ballistics in the RT/LT.

Oh, thanks.
Glorious workplace firewall of course denies that page, so ill have to check at home.

What do you guys think about the "classic" mechs?
I was hoping to buy a marauder in game, only to find out theyre rtm only, same with warhammer and rifleman.
Are they destined to be real-money only forever, or are these usually imported into ingame at a later point in time?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Clan assaults are... difficult. They don't get any quirks for real significance, so they're more fragile than their innersphere counterparts. None of them have optimal builds, and there's nothing you can do about it. They tend to be the most difficult chassis to pilot well. The gargoyle is rear end. The executioner is mediocre. The warhawk is only good if you LOVE PPCs. Seriously, you have to be absolutely in love with an inferior weapon system to like the warhawk (I'm in love with an inferior weapon system). The direwolf is a walking turret, and slightly less maneuverable. It's got a lot of guns, but it's huge and slow. You will have bad matches simply because the rest of your team leaves you behind and you get isolated by light mechs that you simply cannot track with your guns. However, occasionally you'll have a 1200 damage match where you're walking death and everything seems like it was all worthwhile.

It's better to start with clan heavies and mediums, and to get some arctic cheetahs before you commit yourself to trying to figure out clan assaults.

The only mechs that are always premium are the champion, hero, and edition mechs like the (I)nvasion or (R)esistance chassis that have XP or C-bill bonuses. Every other mech that is real money only will eventually be available for C-Bills in a few months. The marauder is cash-only for now, but in a while it'll become available for MC (don't buy any non-hero mechs for MC) and a short while after that it will be available for c-bills. Mechs tend to get a normalization nerf after becoming available for c-bills, but even then good mechs tend to stay good. Mechs that are bad are usually bad before they hit the c-bill stage.

It's important to note that the only premium mechs that have a functional difference from their c-bill counterparts are the Hero mechs, and even then, very few hero mechs are appreciably better than the non-money robutts. For all its sins, MWO doesn't really have a Pay 2 Win component. Yes, spending money will get you more mechs faster, but it won't get you better mechs, or better bullets.

Right now i have one
.) Arctic Cheetah, 2 Large Lasers on the shoulder-mounts for sneak-peak-snipes and an ECM
.) A MadDog with the 2x20 Lrms and 4 Medium Lasers in the arms
.) An Ebon JAg with the U-AC 20 on the shoulder and currently 5 med.puls lasers + 2 mediums on the other shoulder (used to be the 2 large that are now on the cheetah).

So for a complete faction-play lance i need an assault, and the Dire is the only one that pleases me astetcally. loving around in mechbuilders i figured i could mount roughly 16-18 tons of ordnance in each arm (like 2x ac20s or 2x4xER-LL).
Since clan mechs are freakishly expensive (for someone who plays less than 14 hours a day) each mech is a commitment. Id love to buy and try some others, especially heavies, but they dont exactly throw them away a dime a dozen.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Don't forget to buy 3 variants of each mech just so you can elite out the one variant you actually want to drive :v:

I always get the impression that was introduced BEFORE clan mechs hit the game... with omni-modules this literally makes no sense at all.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
On the matter "at hand" (it will still be several days until i can afford a dire wolf), will this thing be able to alpha 8x large lasers + 14 clan double heatsinks without melting?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

No, ghost heat triggers on large lasers after you fire more than 3. Nothing can sink through ghost heat really. You can get an alpha of 5-6 maybe but thats pushing it.

Ok, whats ghost heat?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
On ghost heat: what if i dont alpha, but fire 4 lasers, then with a short delay the other 4?
Does ghost heat only apply to "true" alpha strikes or just "weapon groups"?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well i got the Grand Prize Mech after 2 games today (+5 from yesterday i didnt know i had to redeem), is there any point in pressing this any further?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
By "pressing" i meant "spend day and night reaching 75/75 games".
Ofc i wont uninstall now, but im not missing out on anything crucial.

Also the gift-mech seems... lame?
I mean the cannon is nice, but no chance for lasers?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Today i learned that a 100 ton mech with 95 tons loadout still has 100 tons.
loving poo poo.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Devorum posted:

They probably thought they could underload it to make room for something else on their CW deck.

This.
Direwolf, Cheetah, Maddog and EbonJag are 5 tons too much, so i thought id strip 5 off the DW and was good.

Now i have to either go for a lighter light mech, which only leaves the Lynx, or a lighter Heavy, which means a Crow (which i hate).

Also i think you can fit 6 U-AC10s in a Direwolf, but only without armor and very few shots.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Its ugly as poo poo.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

I looked at coloring my mech, but it seemed that each color was 1000 mc. That can't be right, can it? :ohdear:

Nono, not at all.

There are also colors that are only 500mc.
Some colors appearently are more valuable than others.

gently caress, theres a Crow with 6xMedLasers and an U-AC 20..... im tempted to grind that ugly bitch next.
What are peoples opinions on the nova?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Devorum posted:

I have the loyalty one,

What?
Explain please.

Ok, so i think the nova is out.
That basically leaves the stormcrow.
With an U-AC20.
Thanks!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Man I am enjoying the dire wolf

Me too, it was worth the grind.

Theres so many combinations of loadouts, i cant decide which one i want die with without shooting once.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

There are a few colours for cbills.

If you filter colors by "basic", you get 5 colors for 1.250.000 bills each.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Our Lord and Saviour has seen my blight and decided in his unending wisdom to announce the following:

quote:

Greetings MechWarriors,

Clan DropShip division Commanders have instituted the following increase to their Faction Play tonnage limits:

All Clan Factions: DropDeck tonnage limits have been increased from 160-250 tonnes to 160-255 tonnes until further notice.

Holy loving poo poo, i can my mechs now fit.
Happy Christmech to you all!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bankerfox posted:

I have been trying some of the trial clan mechs; tried the shadow cat with gauss and I am in love. What are good clan options for gauss builds?

Direwolf.
The answer to these questions is always The Direwolf.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I feel slightly underwhelmed by the UAC-20, all Ultra-ACs as it is.
From what ive seen, the UAC20 is basically an AC5 that shoots 4 times, why should i use it over a regular AC20?

Also what light (40 tons or lower) IS mech does
.) have ECM
.) have AMS
.) have jump jets
.) go over 120 kph
.) can fit autocannopns if needed
?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Coolwhoami posted:

Are you asking for a list for each, or mechs that fulfill all if these?

One that has all of these, my dream-light for IS.
I havent found one, but i might be retarded, so...

Im eyeing with a Janner, who cant ECM, or a Cicada, which cant jump.

On autocannons:
Thanks for clarification, the ingame information didnt really make this clear in any way.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 3, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Coolwhoami posted:

There are reasons why that is a bad idea, but regardless no such mech satisfies all those conditions. The Kitfox (KFX-C) and Locust (Pirates Bane) has all save jumpjets. The Raven (4X and Huggin), Panther (10P), Firestarter (Ember and H), and Spider (K and Anansi) all have everything except ECM. Cicadas are not a light for game purposes, although that distinction is only important for quick play matchmaking at this point.

The reason this is a bad idea is that any auto cannon light enough to fit onto a light without sacrificing engine size requires constant pointing at another mech. I highly recommend against fitting auto cannons to lights except for gimmick purposes.

As a general point, and many would benefit from this: The rules that make certain fits make sense in tabletop do not apply to this game. Do not make or plan fits around tabletop ones, because they are almost always bad in this game.

vvvv I forgot that whoever codes smurfy is a bad a lot, yeah, of course it does or this wouldn't be possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

Thanks for bringing up the spider, theres the 5D variant that can actually run close to 130, jump, ECM and AMS.
And with an XL engine, i can still fit a Large Laser on that thing.

If i can overcome its butt-ugliness that is...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ImpactVector posted:

Any reason you want both ECM and AMS? Even having one of either ECM or Radar Deprivation you generally don't have to worry too much about missiles as long as you head for cover when you get the warning. Having both is a lot of tonnage not going towards weapons, especially for a light.

Team support, basically.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well, then its no AMS. Means i dont have to put up with the spider too.

Other than that, im kinda despairing at the thought of buying every (clan)mech 3 times, those Direwolves arent exactly a dime a dozen...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

AMS is dumb on light mechs because you run faster than poo poo and 99% of them will miss you anyway unless you're TAG'd or NARC'd. Any LRM's from 500m+ away are likely not going to hit you because they physically can't track that quickly

It wouldnt have been for me, but for the team.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

armchairyoda posted:

This. Because:

You have to trust your team enough to know they can hold their own. Even taking a BAP is better, and there are so few times it's optimal soooo...

Ive learned not to trust my team to tie their own shoes, let alone hold their own... Im even considering putting some back armor on my direwolf since the concept of "protect the really slow and really heavy gunships backside from motionless lights shooting him" is alien to most people.

Should i really (i mean, REALLY) strife to get 3 of each clan mech for the Elite skills?
Theyre basically all the same frame with switched parts...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I learned, from a loading screen tip, the wonders of chain-fire.
Now my UACs are jamming way less than before and i can make my 8-Laser Direwolf work.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
From what ive seen and read, the C-AC cant jam, but fires slower in turn.
Double tap has a "chance" to jam, which is always retarded, cause it might happen on the first doubletap or keep firing after 5. You cant reliably lay down fire with an ultra, its bes tused for snapshots. Nothing more embarassing to kick the door in, brandish your guns and the get stuck on the second shot and leave you pants-at-ankles-dick-in-hand at their mercy.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Dont forget to dig through the stocking, sometimes theres a really nice money boost in it (ranging from 62 to 500k, or just a loving wobblehead)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Whats with the alpine-hate?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Got my second direwolf last night, 6 millions saved. Now grinding for the third one.
I dont regret it.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Thank mechgod they came up with "join our mailinglist to get 1 week premium" yesterday, that made the grind for the 3rd direwolf 50% less spiritdestroying.
Now i have 3 direwolves.
Ho-ho-ho.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have a regular cicada, if i get the champion cicada, will i be able to elite all cicadas if i buy another cicada?
Or does the champion cicada not count for the three cicadas i need to unlock elite for all cicadas in my cicada cadre?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

The champion one counts, but it counts the same as it's non-champion version. So you can't buy a -2A and a 2A(c) and something else and have that count as your three.

Thanks, now i only need to check with cicada i actually have.
After grinding my balls off to get those 2 direwolves during the sale, i feel like its ISīs turn for some love.

Its always a bit intimitating for me to check for IS mechs, since the initial low cost is easily doubled (or trippled) with larger engines and ferro/endo/double heats...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

Champion, Hero, Invasion, doesn't matter. Basic is by chassis, elite by weight. So, you need any three Cicadas to basic out the Cicadas. Then, for some reason, you only need three medium-class mechs to Elite your Cicadas. However, when you go to unlock the Master slot on one of those Cicadas, you will need to own three Cicadas to do so.

If this all makes sense to you, congratulations you are literally Paul Inouye.

Btw this is one of many reasons that you never sell mechs unless it's a terrible chassis you will never ever play again and you really need an open mechbay for a robot you have to have RIGHT NOW. Other reasons include random passes of the balance pendulum, as well as the possibility that {MECH} may get a special anti-Helios module hardpoint.

Helios talk: If you can't beat em, join em. Honestly I'm not above grabbing a cheat to be used exclusively against those already using it. It's simply leveling the playing field. I am, however, firmly against spending money on this horrible game. Except of course for when notrious bad armchairyoda buys a sweet, sweet Clan light pack for :10bux: and unwittingly peer pressures me into doing the same. Only then.

Err, wait.
Im not Paul Inouye so lets work this step by step.

Lets say i have 3 marauders (cause it was christmas and i love them).
Once i had the top 2 rows of all 3 skilled out, i was allowed to start the 3rd row. Once the 3rd row is full, the upper 2 will count double.
Lets assume i reach full 3rd row with each of them, what does that mean for other heavy mechs?
For example the Cataphract with which i have made lingering eye contact.
Lets assume i buy one, and only one of those.
I guess i still have to skill the 8 basic skills for the cataphract first, but having 3 marauders with a fully skilled elite allows me to skill the elite sectiopn of the cataphract despite only having one?
Or... what?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? You just get 3 of your chassis of choice, and once you get all the Basic skills for each variant, you can then put points into the Elite skills, and then once all three variants have that unlocked you get to dump a lot of points into getting the Master slot.

But how does that work with other mechs?
Can for example raven profit from basicing jenners?
The way i understood this, when i have all 8 basic skills from one chassis (like 3 jenners), i can elite every chassis from that weight class (that i have basicīd of course) even if I only have one of those (like raven).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

Mechs only benefit from getting the basic/elite on their own chassis. When I'm flying my Kit Fox it doesn't give a poo poo that I have a mastered RVN-3L in the mech bay next to it, it's still only at 7/8 of basic.

I was referring to this part:

quote:

Then, for some reason, you only need three medium-class mechs to Elite your Cicadas.

What does that mean if i have 3 Jenners and one Raven?

EDIT:
Ok, i figured it out.
I need to elite any 3 mechs of a weight class to gain access to master of any of that weight class.
I must however basic 3 of the same chassis to be able to elite even a single them, so since i need 3 for basic anyways, it would be a good idea to go for elite on those same 3.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 14, 2016

• Locked thread