Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The trial crow has convinced me that I finally need to take the plunge into the dark side. I have something like 38m C-bills stocked up; which 3 do I buy and how do I game the system so I can sell them later with no real repercussions? Do I level them up and then sell the other two CTs and keep the omnipods? I'm not sure how clan systems work.

edit: does it even matter which ones I actually buy? I guess the CTs don't matter but the C and D have hardpoints I like.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Devorum posted:

Are Quickdraws good? I never see them.

The Quickdraw 5K is actually quite good. I use mine as a sort of a laser striker with 2x LPL and 4x ML on a 310 XL. It's pretty niche but stands up well; it's basically a 60-ton Sparky. The 4G makes a nice LLas boat.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I actually think the 3M is a little better since it has a bunch of extra structure and missile quirks. Plus, all the missiles on one side let you run a STD engine and shield the hell out of that side. ECM is cool too, though.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

the shield arms are so big and the twist rate/structure bonuses are so high that you can get away with an XL

I run (roughly) this and go about 3/1 K/D in it, and most deaths come when I'm out of ammo or drat close to it:

GRF-3M

The 3M doesn't have any torso twist rate bonuses :confused:

The 2N (ECM) variant does, though; but lacks the torso structure bonuses of the 3M.

I usually run a 300 STD with 2 jets and 5 tons of ammo instead of 330 XL with 4 jets and 6 tons, but I can't boast a 3.0 KDR in it. I shelved it before the SRM buffs because I couldn't loving stand trying to play a brawler at the time. Now it's fantastic!

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, you got an Atlas, Centurion and King Crab "Loyalty" variant for paying money and poo poo at some point. You also may have gotten a Wolverine or a Cicada or other non-notable variants.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

What are good MC purchase robots that arent hot garbage?

My picks:

Griffin Sparky
Catapult Jester (Catapults are getting re-scaled, too!)
Cataphract Muromets
Stalker Misery

These all fill gaps for their respective chassis that standard variants otherwise could not fill (6E Griffin, Ballistic Stalker, etc) and are reasonably strong mechs on their own right.

It might be worth noting that the Rifleman RFL-3N will have an identical hardpoint layout to the Firebrand (but of course will be 5 tons lighter). The RFL-3N is also the +C-Bill variant if you spent the extra dough for the collector's pack.

Other picks based on quirks alone:

X-5 (4E, has good heat/cooldown quirks, +35% energy range!)
Arrow (Good combo of energy range/heat/duration of BJs, plus it has the same 2x structure boost as the rest)
Top Dog (+25% energy range and highest absolute health of Thunderbolts)

I'm sure it's partly due to the sale and partly due to the fresh coat of quirk paint, but I'm seeing a lot of Arrows and Top Dogs in tier 1/2 solo queue.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 30, 2015

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Clans generally do more damage per pull of the trigger, but the recent heatsink changes make it so IS has higher capacity and slightly slower dissipation vs. Clans' low heat capacity and slightly faster dissipation. Basically this translates to Clans being able to fire their large alphas fewer times before having to cool off, while IS can fire more volleys before heat is an issue, and thus are a little better at sustained combat/brawling.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, I kind of get irrationally angry when people think the problem with Terra Therma is the heat.

Hint: It's not.

The stupid middle area has some of the poorest gameplay design I've seen in recent memory of action games. If the middle area could be redesigned to not be "four narrow chokepoints into an arena with no cover", that'd be swell. Or block off the entrances for the first 5 minutes of the map (regardless of gametype), or something. It's painful to play and it's become a running joke for the late-night pub queue people to accumulate their vote multiplier and then drop it on Terra Therma at 0:01 to troll everybody.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 1, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Let's fight on a station built around a star

Vitric Forge would actually be p. cool if it were retooled into a regular map instead of CW

but that's because I hate CW

ZenVulgarity posted:

I wound up doing this:

X-5

I don't own one, but I've always felt like the missile slots are kind of a trap. Maybe try this X-5 with LPL Cooldown and MPL Range modules so the cooldowns sync up. 35% extra range on top of 15% -heat gen and 10% extra cooldown is pretty good; assuming my math isn't hosed up, you can get something like 319m optimal range on the MPLs and 493m on the LPL. Not bad. I dunno what your usual playstyle is like, but this kind of thing works for me.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 1, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Maraduers are actually legitimately good in actual gameplay. I'm not a huge fan of its redesign for MWO, but they're surprisingly tough to kill and pack a lot of firepower to boot. If you're crazy enough to spend money on this game right now, $20 on the Marauder pack isn't a terrible deal.

I'm waiting/hoping for the Phoenix Hawk because I have a two-part affliction; I'm addicted to Medium mechs and I have a terminal case of nerd nostalgia :saddowns:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's been happening with pretty much every recent package post-Wave 2, so either they have a consistently, terminally incompetent product manager, or the numbers show that the early adopter stuff actually works and is a deliberate choice.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'll take this:

Over this:

Any time. :v:

I'll take what we got over the other Reseen art:

But I still like Alex' original Marauder doodle more:

Oh well.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Lonjon posted:

LRMs are bad, and you should not use them. If you do use them, don't use them exclusively[...]

Endbuster posted:

I still stand by my decision that the only acceptable LRM boat is a medium, and that is the Hunchback 4J.

The sole exception to this is the Trebuchet 7M, which you can and frankly should run with 2x LRM15 + A., BAP, and a TAG and nothing else. poo poo is bonkers if you use it right and don't end up in a situation on HPG or Crimson Straight where the enemy team is squatting indoors.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 3, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sard posted:

Seconding this (and that other medium with the good LRM bonuses, one of the Hunchbacks I think?) because while you can do better in the laser Trebuchet, it's really worth it to see mechs like the King Crab freak out from the storm of pinpoint missiles hitting their CT from a relatively fast mech with jumpjets.

But no one ever does this. I have seen only one LRM-TAG toting medium mech all week, in stark contrast to an LRM assault in every match, every day. I have seen so many Atlas in the last three days alone, all equipped the same way: LRMs and either two ER PPC, or two ERLL and maybe a pair of medium pulse lasers. And they're always on my team so I can't kill them.

The Hunchback 4J is the (only) other mech that has adequate enough quirks to make taking LRMs not an active detriment to their team. I have a hard time being sold on the Trebuchet 5J being "better" in a sense, though--laser builds are still king but its arms are so low-slung that it just doesn't work for me. Then again, I also think the Treb 7M is a superior LRM vessel to the Hunch 4J, but that might just be personal preference.

I recently ran in to someone who insisted that his LRM15+LRM10+NARC Atlas D-DC "has its good days and bad" and claims to have over 1 million? 4 million? combined XP in Atlases. :negative:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sard posted:

Of course, moving onto the Sparky from this was a revelation, but the range and duration quirks on the TBT-5J will always hold some appeal to me.

Yeah, the TBT-5J looks really great on paper, but I feel like there's no shortage of good lasery IS mechs that simply do the job better. But hey, if it worked for you then I can't judge v:shobon:v

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Games in OK shape right now.

It's alright, but the solo matchmaker has some serious bipolar disorder going on right now.

edit: sorry for whining. I'm having an incredibly frustrating night of getting stomped and getting consistently teamed with people who leave arm lock on or run Stalker builds with LRM5s, LPLs, and dual AMS. I don't get it.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 3, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the double didn't get nerfed, only some of the elite level stuff. Speed Tweak in particular got nerfed a bit.

Even if they did get nerfed theyre still loving amazing compared to without them.

Basics themselves got nerfed substantially, as did Speed Tweak. The doubled aspect hasn't changed, but the base values are much lower than before so there's way less net benefit to eliting a mech. It's still important, though.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you sure on this? I thought it was 7.5% and 10% heat dissipation and overheat cap respectively both before and after speed tweak got the axe.

Yes. The heat basics didn't get changed, but every one of the other basic skills did.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/215830-patch-notes-1438-01-dec-2015/

quote:

'Mech Efficiencies
• Kinetic Burst: 22.5% -> 7.5%
• Twist X: 10% -> 2.5%
• Hard Brake: 25% -> 7.5%
• Twist Speed: 20% -> 2.5%
• Arm Reflex: 15% -> 2.5%
• Anchor Turn: 10% -> 2.5%
• Speed Tweak: 10% -> 7.5%

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK. Yeah, I thought the heat didn't get hosed with.

Frankly the heat alone makes eliting mechs worth it unless you're running a really heat neutral build. If all you want to do is chain fire AC5s stock heat is fine I guess, but if you want to get your wub on that x2 is a loving godsend. I've got 3 of my 4 Marauders mastered and going back to the one that's crawling through its basics is loving painful.

I'm finally just getting started with Clan mechs, and boy howdy are they challenging to use without double basics. Those fuckers run hot.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Blackjacks were always one of the best IS Mediums and now they're pretty much the best after they hit the weights and got swole as gently caress. It's seriously kind of dumb how much punishment they can take right now.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Solo queue doesn't get better at tier 1 (and has gotten arguably worse from personal experience since tier 2).

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 6, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

King Crabs are okay brawlers if you do the whole "dead side" thing, but otherwise they're kind of flimsy in CQC since their general shape is so awkward and their arms don't do a thing to help. Like was mentioned, they're way better at mid range.

That said, the Atlas is sturdier but has terrible torso pitch, which sucks sometimes. I'd love to see that get un-hosed.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Pattonesque, your LPL Locust 1V is an inspiration.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Locust 1V (and Spider 5K) have 50% energy weapon cooldowns. The Locust 1V gets a 50% beam duration on top of that (the Spider 5K is only a 30% reduction, but gets like a 15% range increase thrown in too).

I personally prefer the Spider since you can take a jump jet and some machineguns to annoy / frighten bads, but that -50% beam duration on the Locust 1V is really tempting. Also cheap.

The 1V gets 50% cooldown, 50% duration, and 15% range boosts on energy weapons on top of chunks of extra armor and structure. LPLs with modules and skills has a one-second cooldown, a .335-second duration, out to 456m range. I gave it a whirl on an elited Locust and it was surprisingly effective.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Streak 6's ghost heat after 3, so I like to have one fire group for 3 and another fire group for 2. You can still get a few 5-salvo alphas without much worry, though.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Maybe we're thinking the same things but using different words? It's fine at 3, but ghost heats once you fire 4 or more. I thought.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

No, the limit got increased to 4 with the SRM buffening a couple of months ago. Now firing 5 starts the ghost heat. The penalty for alphaing a streak crow is smaller than it used to be.

Where was this communicated? The in-game warning still states more than 3, and smurfy's data also agrees.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Guys the LPL Locust 1V is seriously bonkers, you gotta try it

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

starkebn posted:

okay

...but you don't need ferro

Sorry for more words about this, but you really should use Ferro on this. You'll want max torso and leg armor at the very least; you get a little free armor on your LA/RA and your head won't get hit unless you get really unlucky with an air/arty strike. The 1V has a lot of extra structure, but when you're at 20 tons you really need to squeeze every little bit of extra survivability out.

Here's what I use: LCT-1V

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

teepo posted:

it's partly why it's my least favorite of the three main timberwolf builds. infact, a lot of the IS mechs outclass the the timberwolves now when it comes to laser vomiting, such as the Jester and Quickdraw-5K

I hit the C-Bill treadmill pretty hardcore to get 3 Timberwolves since they were on sale, and I can't really say I'm impressed with them over other choices right now. Maybe my tune will change after I elite them, but right now I'm way more successful with my Hellbringers. TBRs don't exactly have the best hitboxes (especially compared to the Marauder, which actually takes 0 damage in certain specific spots in the front) and I'm just not feeling it yet.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 13, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Goons are the best robot hipsters. The Shadow Cat, for all it's worth and living in the shadow of the Stormcrow, is a ton of fun to run around in.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I mean, I can't speak for how you like to play, but I'm running a lone Shadow Cat variant without full Basics and I'm already enjoying it more than any of the three Timberwolves I poopsocked to buy while they were on sale.

edit: whoosh, godspeed and condolences, remember someone is always within arm's reach

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 13, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'm a little sad that my hipster robots like the Blackjack and Quickdraw are so mainstream now. I wonder if they QKD will get to keep their quirks after getting shrunk.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Bruh, I know. The Blackjack was one of my favorites since it launched. RIP Rainbowjack

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

After finding Timberwolves to be incredibly underwhelming after finally nabbing a trio, I gave an ASRM6 "splat"wolf brawler a shot and found it to be pretty okay. Brawling is fun guys

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Laser boats are what I do best in when I jump in to Clan mechs, though. I tried the 2UAC/10 and ERML build and found it to be kind of lame, but you're definitely right that I'm public enemy #1 when I pop out in a Timberwolf. That's a big part of the frustration when using one, but now that I have a couple Elited out it's been a lot more fun.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Vorenus posted:

Maybe I'm just bad, but I've never had success with any Cicada variant. I've run the X5, 2A, and 2B and not once have I felt I contributed anything more than being 40 tons of ablative armor.

Peek n' poke and play like a really fast medium instead of a slow, fat light. The 2B with MPLs is my favorite, and the 3M is my second. Use your awesome laser quirks to your advantage and just get the hell out of dodge if it gets too hot.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Why would you ever get rid of a stormcrow? There are more than 3 good configurations.

I'll probably regret it if/when PGI ever makes changes to Stormcrow CTs, but I sold 2 of my spares and kept my other one and just swap out pods to taste. I don't do CW so I don't need multiples, and if I do need dupes of a chassis I have Hellbringers and Timberwolves.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, the streakcrow is first and foremost a light hunter. It is absolutely not a brawler, and against any competent medium mech set up for a brawl (or heavier) you should lose every time.

That is, until late in the round when everyone's got exposed internals. Then all of a sudden, the streakcrow becomes a lethal crit-seeker that can threaten any mech. The trick to maximizing your matches is to stay out of harm's way early on, keep enemy lights from shooting friendly assault butts, and always have a more attractive target than yourself nearby when the shooting starts, and swoop in for murder like a vulture at the end.

What's also nice (and crazy) about Clan Streaks is that they have a 396m range after the range module. You can reach out and snag enemies from just outside of traditional brawling range, so abuse that to its fullest. I would never recommend trying to 1v1 a fresh assault, but if they're distracted or heavily damaged, definitely consider tossing a salvo or two at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The amount of punishment Marauders seem to take before going down is absurd. Them and Crabs have really wonky hurtboxes and end up spreading damage everywhere.

• Locked thread