Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is game still good or did I miss the annual 2 week "This game is good again!" window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

sebmojo posted:

There was a test server build that balanced damage, mobility and targeting delay as equally relevant factors in battle effectiveness and could only be described as fabulously retarded, but they listened to feedback and canned it.

Games in OK shape right now.

I guess it's time to download and shoot robots in the robutt.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

novaSphere posted:

It's alright, but the solo matchmaker has some serious bipolar disorder going on right now.

edit: sorry for whining. I'm having an incredibly frustrating night of getting stomped and getting consistently teamed with people who leave arm lock on or run Stalker builds with LRM5s, LPLs, and dual AMS. I don't get it.

Solo matchmaking in this game has always been trash, the sweet spot seems to be somewhere between 4-8 players in the group, less and you have to rely on your team to win, which is never a good idea, more and you get shot into the full group brackets where you need to all be running optimal builds and optimal robots or you'll lose every match.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have a godhand SCR-Prime and a splatcrow SCR-D, so I need a third Stormcrow variant for mastery. I'm considering mounting an AC-20 on it: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=184&l=7961976e47b241d30b99b444eb95b2421c57768f

Bad idea, or terrible idea? :v:

(If it's a horrid idea, I'll just mount 3x LPL on it instead and make a boring laser sniper 'crow. Shame there's no Dakkacrow build possible.)

It's really fun to mount 2 ERPPC and the rest ERSL and go to town, runs super hot but you can stick and move to cool down really easily.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

No, it was with an S(L).

Washout come back man, poo poo's alright.

Yep reinstalled already, probably jump on later today. Really wish I had not blown all my cash buying 3 dire wolves with these new mechs like the rifleman coming down the pipe tho.

especially since the Diashi is a pile of poo poo.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Olesh posted:

I'm not sure when this changed - maybe with the change limiting group weights, idk - but they don't seem to split full groups from mixed groups anymore. Since a full group is limited to 600 tons, full groups are a good deal lighter tonnage-wise than mixed groups. Full groups are still a lot more of a pain in the rear end than mixed groups because of coordination, but you can get some hilarious tonnage disparities to even things out a bit.

Yeah good point, even if you don't fight another tryhard full group you end up fighting pubbies with 5 or 6 assaults on the enemy team. Or you end up against tryhard groups of 3assaults and 3 heavies with 3 pubby assaults along with them.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

literally doesn't matter

The one with the big arm.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

The 5SS has all those range quirks and it's actually better at large lasers than pretty much any other robot in IS, you can put all 3 in the right torso and they are all up high too so it peeks like a motherfucker. At one point when I was doing a lot of clan wars for ACES I was going to just buy 3 and use them as my drop deck.

3 large lasers, 3 medium pulse and a std 275 5dhs and AMS with 1.5 tons of ammo. Peek and poke all day long.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

sebmojo posted:

can someone do a brief effortpost on how not to suck at assaults?

Your build and the robot you are using matter wayyyyy more than with any other class. If you take a mediocre assault you are really screwing your team because that is so much lovely tonnage that could have been a good robot. This is also why taking LRMS on an assault is so bad, you are taking all that armor and structure and leaving it out of the real fight.

You need to know all the maps already too, if you don't know the map well you are going to take a wrong turn and get lost or hang back for too long figuring out where to go and then you'll get ganked by a light. So play heavies for a while to learn all the maps before going to assaults. Atlas is an exception to this since it's faster than most of the other assaults, but you should be a really good SRM brawler via centurions or the missile hunchback before driving the atlas.

Don't peek unless your mech is specifically fantastic at it, (peeking over the tops of a hill in a stalker is fine, peeking the tunnel on crimson straight with a direwolf or crab is a bad idea). You are much better off letting the other guys peek into you and blowing the poo poo out of them that way, especially since they are usually eating so much lead they can't see to fire back. Also given the wide stance and arms that most assaults have you are only going to be shooting half your guns if you peek a corner, whereas if you are reacting to the other guy peeking he's eating your entire alpha.

You have to pick your moment to push, if you lead out a push and no one follows you then, whelp, you have to wait until everyone is obviously going before committing.

Lastly, you are a bully, if you know there are two injured heavies around the corner and you have any armor at all then you should just push in and kill them. Especially if your in some kind of 1v1 standoff you need to just shove it in there as hard as you can.

Washout fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 6, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Willfrey posted:

The one true Direwolf build is 2 Gauss, 2 LPL, 3 ML.

No way, 2 ac10 4 UAC2 supremacy.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Oh man the Shadowhawk-2D2 is back baby. 4 SRM 4's and an AC-10 and murdering the poo poo out of everything, back to back 800 damage matches this morning before breakfast.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Eldragon posted:

Link to the build? I'm curious.

SHD-2D2

90kph murder machine.

Can't play it like a centurion at all or you will get wrecked.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Stringbean posted:

The more I play Mediums and heavies and less I like about Assaults. They have their benefits, but I prefer the speed of mediums and the beefiness/mobility of heavies. The marauder and thunderbolt are spoiling me.

Think I might sell the KGC and put the CB towards a new medium.

People love the king crab for some reason, it's slow as poo poo and the weapons are all really low, it's really a garbage newbie trap imo. BNC-3E does dakka better and atlas is a better brawler. It can fight off lights but that's about it, it's such an easy target to hit that you will probably lose in any brawling situation.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

While I'm at it, someone suggest a way to make the following two Stormcrow builds fun, because I'm really not enjoying them:

This runs way too hot and the B arm quirks gently caress with LPL usage: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=f950bb87375a492e31c97a7d758f265d3fad6472 I'm considering making that B arm into a C arm and boating a third LPL to have a sniper crow (chainfire all three), but apparently that's a net "sustained DPS" loss according to whatever formula smurfy uses and won't really run any cooler.

This loses the UAC-20 too fast and then becomes a total chore to play: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=184&l=1ae594add2a079d620c850941dcecc5b7d1191c4

I'm going to convert one of them into a Streakcrow so I can be :effort: and not swap between SRM and CSRM on my SCR-D, but that's going to cost me 3mil C-bills and still leaves me with one 'crow that needs to a) not be bad and b) not use missiles.

Laservomit normal build is one LPL and 5ML. The pulse build is 5MPL or some similar tonnage of 4MPL and 5 small lasers.

Some people run just 4 MPL to have something remotely heat efficent, but the stormcrow is soo good at shoot n' scoot to cool down that you may as well boat more lazers. I even play a 9mpl build just for funsies.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 8, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Number19 posted:

This is part of CW Phase 3 which is currently in development

Will we be able to specifically choose and play this game type at will? Or is it going to just be a random part of CW dropping?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Takkaryx posted:

Update on WoL CW Stuff;
I was thinking about the successful plays we made in our other games, so I have these suggestions for what to bring on your drop deck;
1 assault: On attack missions, the game can be won with the first assault push if we're good and coordinated. Having something big and angry is really good.
1 Mech that can go 110kph+ and is kitted for close range: On counter attack and hold ground maps where it's essentially a skirmish, I don't think I've seen the other team not drop assaults and heavies. Therefor, we all drop lights, and descend on pairs of assaults and brutalize them.
1 Mech that has some range: Brawling is good and fun, and what we do, but make sure at least one thing has the capability to poke. Not really snipe, as we need to move in groups, but being able to force their heads down on a heavy advance is good.

Other than that, it's up to you. We're still thinking about bigger metas and strats, so if after a few games you have some ideas, let us know!

Not really, you need to take 3 that all have decent speed and good range and firepower, so pretty much no brawling mechs, they also all need to take AMS. So the normal drop deck was 3 thunderbolts and a light, maybe trade one thunderbolt for something else of your preference like a laserdrill stalker or something. For the light it needs jumpjets and go over 140 so basically firestarters.

In order to win consistently you need to have a list of approved mechs and builds and enforce them pretty heavily. Because the yellbosses strats depend on everyone having the same armament and speed.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 8, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

That's getting way too specific imo, particularly on the "110kph+" front.

Nothing wrong with having a couple of hard-hitting mediums with them that clock in at around ~100. They'll arrive a few seconds after the engagement starts, yeah, but usually the enemy is pretty well distracted by the light swarm at that point and can basically just unload. Worked drat well on my Griffin when we were dropping last weekend.

If you have to run away when things go bad the mediums following the light swarm are all dogmeat, need to have all lights when doing a light swarm.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

No, you move in and kill 5+ of a wave and then retreat before reinforcements can arrive, let them string out and then go back in and do it all over again. I used to call clans wars so I'm not just blowing smoke here.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hey GIRLs. Would any of you absolutely hate switching between Liao and Clan Bird periodically? I will take all answers into advisement but it will most likely not affect my decision in the end.

Not enough of us on to do CW anyway so no biggie.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Axetrain posted:

How worthwhile is it to get 3 mech variants for the elite skills? The Stormcrow and Timberwolves are on sale right now so I thinking of grabbing another one so I can work on getting the next skill set.

They are the best mechs in the game so you should get 3 of each, everyone should really.

Alchenar posted:

No problems whatsoever. In fact we should jump around the clans a bit until we find a good home (back around a year ago FLJK made friends with some chill dudes in Wolf and we dropped with them a lot). Given we're always going to be the group filling out the gaps in other people's teams I'd say we're best off finding out where the least spergy not-idiots are and making friendly with them.

Yeah find a clan with a good public server, because there are a shitload of jade falcon pubbies playing today yet the jade falcon TS is totally dead.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 9, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Vorenus posted:

Mumble overlay doesn't work with MWO because reasons.

Works fine with the 32bit client, just switch using the gearbox thingy in the patcher. 32bit is way more stable anyway.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Urbanmech training makes you into a god. Elite them and if you already have then refresh yourself.

Urbanmech can mount 3 machine guns, 2 mediums and a large pulse. It's actually not that bad. Still goes 102kph.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

2 UAC10 3 UAC5. Ever seen a mech blow up in under 3 seconds? You will with this build.

2 AC10 and 4 UAC2.

Or 6 LBX-AC5 chainfire comedy option.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

liquidfire posted:

i need someone to help me build a direwolf with like 4 * ER-large and max heatsinks/ range for CW. PUGS/ -42- ended up on ghost bear :(

Direwolves are best with like 5 AC5 or 4 AC10 or other rediclious things because they can mount 50 tons of guns.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Quickdraws get progressively worse the better your tier as they are large, draw fire, and aren't really any better armored than a Griffon. Fun mech though.

Blackjacks just straight up rule and a bunch of them play very differently.

Except for the quickdraw-5K that is the best 4 LL boat in the entire game.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Oh man the medium crabs are so stupid fun, I bought three with cbills, painted them all like bees, and have been having a blast. Pubbies just have no idea what is up with them and you can stick huge engines on them.

They are so redicliously tough, way tougher than the king crab thats for sure.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

I bought a Shadowcat prime, please tell me how to build this thing, I only ever fly Ravens.

Double PPC is my favorite, but most other people like double pulse more. Those are pretty much the only two viable builds, the SRM build sucks imo. Don't forget to put on the ECM torso.

It's one of like 3 mechs in the game that can be a poptart rear end in a top hat.

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 13, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Being a tryhard in this game just means that you are using helios, we keep running into tryhard groups and it's so stupidly obvious they are just cheating like crazy. So thinking goons are ever going to compete using strategy and tactics is def not the way to win at this game, especially against 228 and the remnants of lord or whatever other shitbirds are hanging around just padding numbers in large groups with full map radar and auto aim.

PGI does not give a poo poo and has not banned any of these shitlords ever since the thing with modpud went down, I don't think anyone else in 228 got banned when (s)he did.

For some real MWO talk, everyone should get crabs for realsies, they itch a little bit but are probably the best mech this side of a stormcrow right now, I'm starting to run into people that realize that they should shoot me in the legs tho.

Washout fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 14, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

dreadman posted:

So i'm thinking of getting into the Victor mechs, because they look cool, and are currently on sale -
Is this build bad yes / no.
Please tell me why either way.
VTR-9S

Victors are terrible, random crazy hardpoints and most of them in the arms is basically inexcusable especially when the arms are mounted so low. They don't get any well quirked variants either. :( That said it's just a mini atlas. Run up to people and shoot them in the dick repeatedly until they fall over, it's not fast enough to peek, just like the atlas, and it's too slow to be able to get away once you have committed so just brawl your heart out.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Tindahbawx posted:

Anyone have any suggestions as to what Mech I should be looking to purchase mainly for grinding out the copious amounts of C-Bills I apparently need to change anything in this game?

Is there a current "go-to" Mech for grinding out a poo poo-ton of C-Bills? Should I just keep plugging away with my Ilya-Muromets that I must have bought at some point in the past? Its running the old UAC-5 build that used to be on the WoL builds site/list, that had an AHK script to stop jams.

I would say the Stormcrow or Arctic Cheetah, but you can also get a crab too. I've been playing them lately and they are super mean. Can go either std275 + mediium pulse or std250 + 2 large and the rest medium regular lasers. Could even put on a XL 275 if you wanted 3 large lasers but ofc way more expensive.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

KFJ posted:

So I just got started playing and so far I've been doing alright! Only lost one mech in three separate games, and I usually manage to kill or destroy something. I actually bought a Thunderbolt before I realized how darn expensive all the parts are, such as double heatsinks according to that build in the OP. I'll just have to make some money, I guess! I've been having some fun in the trial mechs while I save up for my Thunderbolt. No idea if the thunderbolt is actually any good, but hey, what's the worst that can happen?

I've got a question or two, if anyone would care to answer!

-Are there tiers to this like in World of Tanks or is it really just one big jumble?
-Can I play with goons even though I started yesterday?
-Are Assault mechs viable for new players?
-If I'm a big fan of ballistic weapons, what should I go for in the heavy/assault mechs?

No Tiers
Yes
Not really, heavies are much more forgiving.
Yeah there are a lot of good ballistic heavies. (Hellbringer, Timberwolf, Dragon, Jagermech)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

jBrereton posted:

I feel like my first bought mech should maybe not have been a Locust. I mean I spent about the chassis value again making it slightly less slow and adding a single heat sink. Is that just A Thing with a lot of lights?

Some lights are super good like the cheetah, but most of the others should probably not be your first mech, they are generally the most expensive to build because of the XL requirement, but the cheetah breaks that mould too.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Bait and Swatch posted:

Stalkers pushed my poo poo in a few times tonight, so I must buy one. Time to go all in on SRMs, anyone have a fun build?

4 SRM6 and 6 ML.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

I kinda of want another Dakka-based mech. Is there a Heavy or Assault that can be outfitted as such that isn't a Dire Wolf/King Crab? Or a Marauder, I guess, since that's real money only. I already have an Ebon Jag outfitted for it, and I like it, but it's one of the lighter heavies.

Dragon, Shadowhawk, Timber Wolf, Hellbringer<- the hellbringer with two uac 5 is stupid fun.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Bait and Swatch posted:

How good is the stalker with 6 LLs? Is it a good fit if I really like the QuickDraw with 4 torso LLs and want to do something similar? I am torn between starting my stalker journey with that or the aSRM6 variant.

It's still great but use 5 LL instead and put on AMS. The AMS uses 2 tons and then you can put on 3 more heat sinks too. Also you can alpha on purpose when idiots are slowly peek and poking.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes, I am well aware of this. I have already gotten the event cicada. I'm asking if I would be better off getting 3 firestarters or two more cicadas. I'm wanting something that goes fast and can shoot assaults in the rear end. I understand that the firestarter does this well, but the champion cicada I have is OK at that and I'm wondering if two more cicadas might add a bit more variety. The firestarters all look essentially the same, so I imagine i would end up selling two of them once I got them elited/mastered.

Get arctic cheetahs instead.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Where are the patch notes they said would be posted Monday? This company is a pile of poo poo, literally cannot even cut/paste something to their own drat webpage on time.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

TheStampede posted:

So I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I'm sitting on 12 mill, and I have a choice. Do I a) buy the Stormcrow, or b) cash in my Shadow Cat and go for a Timber Wolf?

I have an XL kitted out Thunderbolt as well. CW isn't a huge issue, but eh, it's supposed to be the thing, eventually. The Stormcrow is pretty sex looking, but having more guns and armor then my Thunderbolt while still being maneuverable would be nice.

XL thunderbolt is really bad, should only use standards on them. If you want to do WoL clamwars then you should buy two more thunderbolts, if you want to start buying clan mechs then start with the stormcrow since you already have a heavy. Don't sell the shadowcat unless you hate the 2xppc or 2xLPL playstyle.

you never really sell mechs to upgrade, they all do different things. I mean there are some that are outright bad like dragons or orions or whatever but generally once you buy them you don't sell unless you really need mechbays.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

All new people should follow guides from https://www.metamechs.com and not listen to goons, especially goons on mumble. Some of them are not totally optimal but they are all at least solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Axetrain posted:

I received a steam gift card from a friend and without anything else I cared to spend it on I made the bad decision to give PGI money for the Stalker mastery pack (forgive me). What builds are people using on the Misery, specifically I want to know what engine people use because the 255 it comes with means that it's going to be awfully slow even for an assault.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=75&l=304d50191916fe8766f03d894fa734f520e6cbe0

This is a build from metamechs.

• Locked thread