Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

I've got to say, from an outsider's perspective all the red meat they're throwing to the community in the last two weeks is kind of suspicious. It's either the world's best timing from a company that's never demonstrated the ability, or they held back a lot of fixes that they knew would get people hyped up until just before the Steam release.

Its not terribly suspicious. They've been making good improvements over the past year but most of it has been little stuff here and there. Biggest change prior to this last patch was probably the mechlab 3.0 or the tutorial. Its really annoying that what amounts to XML changes was so low on their priorities when it made such a massive improvement to the game though. Huge dick move on their part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Scoops posted:

NKVA*, please get the acronym right.

It isnt pronounceable as a word. That makes it an initialism, not an acronym. :colbert:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

What happened to the stream? Things not go as planned?

If its supposed to be today, I'd imagine its not started because its currently 6 AM in PGIs timezone.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Hahahahahaha NOPE

Bringing back brawling (and only one aspect of brawling, i.e. SRMs) is a LONG way from "a pretty good place".

What would you consider needed then?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Feindfeuer posted:

Machineguns do massive amount of damage against unarmored parts of a mech. They also look cool. Not useful on every mech, but if you got a few tons left over and a few unused ballistic slots it can be really effective for finishing a damaged robbit.

They also recently got a stealth buff, in that most of the +armor quirks were changed to +structure. This gives them more opportunities to crit structure and generally destroy parts.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

I remember one time seeing a guy in a uh... hunckback??? or some german sounding mech just loaded out with 8 machine guns and nothing else. He would wait for lights to attack him and when they did just unload at them and it was just some blinding fury of a million bullets and half the time they would just turn around and run away from it.

Was p funny.

Wasnt that Tank Boy Ken? He had some build that was 6 MGs, 2 LPL and would eat people with it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

[*]PPCs are very overrated and not at all worth it compared to the LPL, considering that PPCs are 1-ton heavier, have a much higher heat-per-second, and are harder to aim than LPLs. it's not worth the average damage output per shot (adjusted for accuracy). :rip: MW3

This is true except for IS where they're the same weight. And heavily quirked ppcs own a lot. Otherwise yeah, all lpl all the time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Prawned posted:

We're playing cool fun games not made by shittard fuckhead devs

Except for fil but we don't like to be associated with him.

At what point did you transform into a salt golem?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Quick question: is an XL300 used in any build?

Its one of the most useful XL engines since a huge number of mechs can use it. IS XLs have fallen out of favor lately but it's still good for screwing around.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Vorenus posted:

And it was originally a scaling system - if you wanted the TImber Wolf, you had to buy the pack that included everything below it. It was only after over 500 pages of player rage in a single thread that they initiated the a la carte system (which was/is still hilariously overpriced).

It's pretty clear that their system is design art->offer prorder->use preorder funds to build mech->sell mech->rinse/repeat.

I don't mind the system they're doing now. At least for the preorder you get 6.5m cb, a month of premium, 3 mechs, a couple of modules, and some cosmetic doodads. Not terrible for 20 bucks. Way better than the old system where 20 would get you 3 locusts and you had to spend 80 to get the battlemasters.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hey, do you like raw footage of urbanmechs and undedited coms with people talking over each other? HAVE I GOT THE VIDEOS FOR YOU

First of 3, others should be done uploading later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQgTCKISyI

e; I was going to ask how to change the thumbnail but now I see I dont need to.

edit 2;

Second video up, 1080p when processing, etc. I forgot to hit record at the start of this one so I got the last 5 minutes from shadowplay. Starts right when the brawl does so all you really missed is us me bitching at group lead for not deselecting oceanic servers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfEdIEHllQ

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 19, 2015

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUFeMXzocYQ

Last of the urbanmech videos from last night.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Baudin posted:

I think you mean Streak 2's, mount a BAP and swap your ECM mode to counter, then go light hunting. Don't forget the medium pulse laser!

The unstoppable power of two srm4s.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

yeah, take some armor off the left arm and put it in the head. I think you need a minimum of 16 head armor to avoid a one-shot headcap from dual gauss

This will never, ever, ever happen unless you're standing completely still in a firefight. You need two or three points of head armor max to deal with splash from artillery.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You also have to be within the group weight limit, which changes based on how many members are in the group.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Iirc while the er versions heat and range are higher their rate of fire is slightly slower so it ends up being very comparable heat per second.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

What do these people do with the extra weight :psyduck:

Like I remember our group yesterday being confused enough by that incredibly inept Raven, but seeing that poo poo on assaults is mind-boggling.

The best is when they have almost nothing equipped and then it turns out they have an XL engine. The only thing I can think is is that theyre trying to boat single heat sinks.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Misery, Ember, Yen Lo Wang, and Sparky, are all either best or second best for their chassis and their chassis are pretty good. Ilya Muromets is probably the best cataphract but cataphracts arent so popular anymore for a number of reasons people with more :effort: than me can list off. The rest are firmly in "get them if you like the way they look" territory, with the exception of Pretty Baby, the Awesome hero. Dont get Pretty Baby, its the worst mech in the game by a wide margin.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

Boar's Head is also the only none light that I can think of that benefits from ferro fibrous armor over endo-steel.

:psyduck: endo is always better.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

It would be nice if the description on ferro said "weighs 12% less" rather than "offers 12% more protection." The loving wording in this game :psyduck: the description isn't wrong, but holy hell that's a misleading way of phrasing ferro.

I should also know better than to argue with great beer since he's probably been playing since release, or at least far far longer to know all the deceptive wording.

The wording is fun. The weight savings comes from getting 9 points of armor (in table top) per ton instead of 8 but the overall cap isn't changed.

And yeah, been around since closed beta, right about the time the Dragon was released, so Ive had lots of time for people to point out how dumb this games rules can be to me. :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

FARTSTAR posted:

actually its working great in the matches ive tried so far :feelsgood:

No you haven't.

E: Because I'm not sure you'll figure it out: top dog can't fit missiles, only energy weapons.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Apparently my joke detector was off tonight :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My only complaint about the 20 dollar packages is that you can't get the extras after the preorder time. I'd totally own the warhammer right now if I could still get those. The collectors packs arw probably 10 dollars higher than they need to be though. A duplicate of a variant with a cb bonus isn't worth double the price.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Those are all useless. Keep the 60 if you want to do urban mech stock gimmicks. Otherwise put them towards something useful.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Not as many.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

As a griffin I survived an encounter with an arctic cheetah by unplugging MWOs servers.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

teepo posted:

recently some lord guy literally cored my fresh highlander with a single alpha strike from his bj1x and i'm still struggling to come up with an explanation

The paper doll seems to have trouble updating sometimes. I've put a quartet of srms into an ebon jags should and have it show yellow armor, but a second shot to the same shoulder put it in deep red structure. So you may have been hit before and the game just didn't tell you.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

What is dumb from a moneymaking standpoint is not providing the preorder bonus until the mech comes out. Get those sales from people who need instant gratification.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

novaSphere posted:

Yeah, the TBT-5J looks really great on paper, but I feel like there's no shortage of good lasery IS mechs that simply do the job better. But hey, if it worked for you then I can't judge v:shobon:v

I love the way the trebs look and they're mostly OK, but I can never justify bringing one when the Griffin 2N and Cent A exist.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Bolow posted:

I think Gauss can crit through armor?

There are no TACs. A long time ago there was a bug where the paper doll didnt update damage correctly. I'm betting its back.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Why would you put auto cannons on a light?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DiHK posted:

Where are you guys seeing marauders for less than the $80 package?

Anyway, Medium talk: You guys are forgetting the Blackjack, which is 45 tons of fun. I imagine it plays like Urbies big brother but I don't know from personal experience.

The marauder is one of the 20/40 packs. You're probably looking at the mauler,a 90 ton assault mech in the second resistance pack.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

No, don't post any context. We all understand this and it is in now way confusing to outsiders.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Almost tier 3. :toot:

Going up in tiers is a trap. Tier 5 for easy mode.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

There was a significant quirk pass as well as big changes to SRMs. The Adder can now rock 4xSRM6 with Artemis. It might actually be workable.

This is what's on my adder. If you can stay alive you can absolutely eviscerate assaults.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Washout posted:

Urbanmech can mount 3 machine guns, 2 mediums and a large pulse. It's actually not that bad. Still goes 102kph.

gently caress that. 2 lpl or 1 lpl, 3ml. I use the 2 lpl r63 because the arms can be stripped for another dhs. Gimmick option: uac5, 2 ml r63.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Heads up: If you want to make bad decisions like I do, you'll be wanting to get Highlanders. Don't get the 733P. Its got ballistic and gauss quirks but zero ballistic hardpoints. Its been this way since the requirkening.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Man did anyone get video of me wrecking face in the 6 ac2 kgc last night? Apparently shadow play decided not to record and I got nothing. :(

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

Do you guys have no idea how to manage expectations? If you're going to wait until the end of the day to release the notes, just say they are going to be released on tuesday, then magically astound people with your competence by releasing them late on monday.

Is this sort of poo poo lostech at :pgi:?

PGI are on PST. Its not even 1PM there yet. Calm your tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Axetrain posted:

Going to join the "this map is bad" club. It's way too big IMO, big enough where you regularly have to spend several minutes before you can engage the enemy. It blows if you like to brawl, the games are mostly sniping engagements with LRM barrages and no cover. And I can't escape it, I've gotten this map in fully more than half my games today, 4 times in a row once even.

Still better than alpine skirmish/assault.

• Locked thread