Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rhymenoserous posted:

splatlas is loving amazing though. During a press the first assault mech I see is going to die. If he's standing next to a heavy both of them are going to die. Then I'll maul a third assault/heavy before going down in a blaze of glory. I honestly think I'm packing more ammo than I'll ever use on this thing...

generally I've been using three tons each for AC/20 and SRM6s, with four tons for the SRMs if I'm using the Atlas-S. I almost never run out before losing the weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Remember the PTS though. There was a huge, game wrecking set of changes that they tried then backed off from when they were clearly dumb.

It's the second bit that's new.

I mean they are still bad and lame, but they have shown a recent tendency to be less bad and lame? It may not last but for now it's nice.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Willfrey posted:

he wants to play like an elite player, blasting one mech with his arm weapons and another with his torso

I mean, you CAN do that using freelook, but pulling it off with any regularity would be drat near impossible

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
welp

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Highlander IIC

Jenner IIC

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

I did the auth thing like, a year ago so I don't remember poo poo about it, but if you just join one of the units the mumble info will be in the MotD in-game and you won't have to bother about it. Just post your in-game name and which unit you wanna join.

:swoon:

Wasn't it supposed to drop on the 10th?

15th

the Jenner with six missile hardpoint is going to be a nasty SRM bomber

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

Be my Jenner bro once again.

okey

I wonder how it'll stack up to the Cheetah. I feel like it'll do more damage but be much less tanky

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

They are literally the same as IS mechs, except with access to clan weapons, ferro fibrous, XL engines, and endo-steel.

the metamechs guy did some theorycraft builds (pre-patch) for some of them and they look beefy:

JR7-IIC
Build 1: XL295 (150KPH), 2xJJ, 6xSRM4, 5 tons ammo, 10xDHS
Build 2: XL295 (150KPH), 2xJJ, 6xSSRM2, 4 tons ammo, CAP, 10xDHS

JR7-IIC-2
Build 1: XL310 (158KPH), 1xJJ, 4xcERML, 1xSSRM6, 1 ton ammo, TC1, 10xDHS

JR7-IIC-3
Build 1: XL295 (150KPH), 2xJJ, 4xcSPL, 2xSRM4, 2 tons ammo, 13xDHS

JR7-IIC-A
Build 1: XL280 (143KPH), 2xJJ, 5xcERML, TC1, 16xDHS
Build 2: XL295 (150KPH), 2xJJ, 6xcSPL, TC1, 14xDHS

HBK-IIC
Build 1: XL225 (80KPH), 1xJJ, 2xGauss, 5 tons ammo, 10DHS (can swap out "Gauss" for "UAC20", same thing)
Build 2: XL200 (71KPH), 3xJJ, 2xGauss, 5.5 tons ammo, 10DHS
Build 3: XL225 (80KPH), 1xJJ, 2xcERML, 3xUAC5, 6 tons ammo, 10DHS
Build 4: STD200 (71KPH), 1xJJ, 2xGauss, 4 tons ammo, 10DHS - no armor on right side, both GR's in LT. Bad, but cool.

HBK-IIC-A
Build 1: XL255 (91KPH), 1xJJ, 1xcLPL, 5xcERML, TC1, 23xDHS
Build 2: XL275 (98KPH), 1xJJ, 2xcLPL, 3xcERML, TC1, 20xDHS
Build 3: XL255 (91KPH), 1xJJ, 4xcERLL, TC1, 20xDHS

HBK-IIC-B
Build 1: XL275 (98KPH), 1xJJ, 2xcERML, 4xSSRM6, 4 tons ammo, CAP, TC1, 15xDHS
Build 2: XL275 (98KPH), 1xJJ, 2xcMPL, 4xSRM6A, 5 tons ammo, TC1, 15xDHS

HBK-IIC-C
Builds 1&2: Same as the dual Gausses as on the HBK-IIC
Build 3: XL225 (80KPH), 1xJJ, 4xcERML, 2xUAC5, 4.5 tons ammo, TC1, 14xDHS

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

After the nerf, I wouldn't put 2 gauss on a HBK IIC. I think double UAC/10 might be the way to go.

yeah. I think dual gauss still might have a place but right now the recharge is too slow

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Aren't those erML builds going to run hot as gently caress though? Ever try putting MLs on a cheetah? It sucks.

I think the extra tonnage could help a bit with cooling 'cuz heatsinks, and if you play it in a very poky style it could work, but with the ERML nerf it might not be worth it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skoll posted:

:pgi: would probably make a boatload of money if they sold the Atlas II since canonically a couple were spotted on Tukayyid.

I feel like the Kodiak is their next big moneymaker

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

A kodiac with heavy rockets and I'd buy another top tier package.

Just saying.

It'd basically be a Clan Atlas if they give it the right quirks, yeah?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Kodiak's a 4/6 in tabletop, so it'd be as fast as the BattleMaster. It'd be the fastest 100-tonner in the game unless they release the Iron Cheetah (lol).

I just want to load one up with the new and improved SRMs, a bunch of small pulse lasers, maybe a UAC20, and tank millions of points of damage on the massive bear arms

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

DancingShade posted:

I bet visibility on the Hunchback II-C is terrible.

They might cheat the camera/cockpit position a bit though so who knows.

you know honestly that might be a bit of soft balance. that thing is gonna be vicious

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Anticheese posted:

Russ builds robot weird.

E: Why do you play with armlock on, Russ??

that orion build he's using is completely bad. he overheats after like an alpha and a half

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
oh boy, the Hunchback's main energy hardpoints are all on the shoulders slightly above the cockpit

and you can fit dual gauss on one of them, both high mounted on the left side with your entire right torso and arm as a deadside

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 10, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Captn Kurp posted:

Someone in here mentioned Griffin + SRMs so I bought one and put 4 x SRM 6s on it and it brawls with the best of them.

I don't know what I'm doing.

EDIT: does Artemis make a big difference on SRMs? It said it increases accuracy but since they're dumb fire does it actually do anything?

I've been doing the -3E with four SRM4+A at 104kph elited, 6 tons of ammo, and 4 JJs, it owns

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Beraiye posted:

Artemis packs your missiles tighter. It gives you a more shotgunny feel, up close.

yeah, you'll find you'll be able to put more of your missiles on the same component, which makes them much better at quickly killing things

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZombyDog posted:

As someone who stopped periodically checking in because, yeah well, and as a brawly robert kind of guy, what have PGI done to make brawling suddenly viable again?

SRM spread/velocity bonus, lots of IS 'mechs got structure quirks so they last longer, lasers slightly nerfed, gauss huge CD nerf

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Nickiepoo posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how to Ebon Jaguar?

what are you trying to do with it? abusing the high mounts with laser or gauss vomit seems to be the order of the day, although that's probably less effective now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ggclose

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

You can get high missile mounts on EBJ so I think you can do 4 SRM6+A builds with it.

that and some UAC/5s, I think?

one thing that's nice about this patch, incidentally, is that because brawling is better, facing off against a bunch of 228s or EMPs seems to result in much fewer horrible sweeps and more legit close games.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Captn Kurp posted:

Last time I played I had a Cataphract with 4x AC5 which was lots of fun to use with just alpha strike, are there any mechs than can do something similar with ballistic guns?

Banshee-3E gets massive AC/5 quirks -- put three of them on there and they have the effective DPS of like 5

Maulers aren't available for CBills yet, but Kazvall has a variant that can fit, uh, six AC/5s. Incredibly slow but basically heat-neutral, with a 30-point alpha over and over and over again

Dire Wolves can fit five or six UAC/5s, or three UAC/5s and two UAC/10s

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Steam trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXdQK05hm34

Evidently that big explosion is an off-map Long Tom

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/675021195226386432

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

Is a 4x AC/2 Jagermech build viable at all?

Whats happening here?

the Hunchback-IIC's energy variant has four of its mounts above the cockpit and the rest slightly below it, which is gonna make it kinda baller

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Hey everyone! I've just been told that MWO was moving to Steam and I thought "what the heck, let's check to see if Ghost Heat 2.0 is a thing now"...and the game is good again instead? :3:

I guess the Cocks are dead (not that we were that many to begin with), but by the OP it looks like WoL is still alive :black101: Also: is Ghost Heat still in, IE: can I play my Laser Drill?

Ghost heat is still in, but the laser drill is really good (six LL on the -4N, fire in groups of three)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Here's the Griffin build I've been using lately

GRF-3M

it tanks very well even with the XL, shields the important right torso effectively, and can get in and out while dishing out a lot of damage very quickly

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kurzon posted:

I'm new to this game so I'd like some comments on my current mech.

I've built an Ebon Jaguar that has two ac/10s, and LRM 5 and a medium laser. She has two ballistic hardpoints, one energy hardpoint, two missile hardpoints, and an ACM hardpoint. Her max tonnage is 65.

If you want a dakka Jaguar, this might work

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=280&l=d877359cceaaa3ca10331675f5cfd7b2ef0f8e49

I got that from here, which is a site run by a comp player. Most of the builds are reasonable or at least good starting points

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/clan-master-guides/ebon-jaguar/

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 11, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
someone made a comic guide to group MWO tactics

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=573089143

p. cool actually

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teepo posted:

watching streamers try this game out is fascinating

there was a dude earlier (with like 220k subscribers) running a Stormcrow with two LRM20s, two SRM-2s, and a NARC, and he was firing his LRMs at close range without locking

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

So, funny story...I think someone may have used my account without my knowledge during my absence.

I've logged in, and all my mechs had some bullshit loadout; also there was this stupid thing in my mechbay (never seen it or the paintjob before):

It had a ac/20 + lrm loadout :allears:

Also, someone has sold all my SRM6s and has installed a single Artemis+SMR6 on my Cent :sigh:

everyone who bought a certain package got that robot/paint job gratis

dunno about the rest though

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah well, happier that way :) Apparently it was offered as a loyalty reward BattleMech, featuring a unique skin and a 30% Cbill bonus. It was rewarded to any player who purchased MC.png before October 21, 2014. according to the wiki. Also, it's a Cent with no Energy and 3 ballistics, (also no Double HS yet, since I've never used it)...guess that now that MGs are viable it can be used with those and some SRMs?

Guess the rest is due to fooling around during the (at the time presumed) last days of WoL then. I also had a Stalker with a ton of Streak SRM2s.

you can also do SRMs and an AC/20 on it. It's kind of nasty with the missile changes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Banano posted:

i want to physically hurt all pubbies

welcome back my man

Devorum posted:

Does anyone have a good build for the loyalty Cicada? I've tried it with the stock loadout, and with 4xMPL. The MPL worked ok, but I feel I could eke a little more performance out of it.

I'm seriously considering selling my Grasshoppers and Zeuses. Even now, they just don't seem salvageable.

Loyalty Cicada makes a decent ERPPC poptart, runs a bit hot though

Grasshopper can do serviceable laservomit, like maybe this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=254&l=51a17283d357135123ff1039afdf5dc6e6be9619

Zeuses I'm not sold on. I feel like they could potentially be faster baby Atlases with those missile hardpoints and structure quirks, but the lack of an AC/20 hurts them -- you have to go with SRMs and medium pulses

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 12, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I want to run around and be an annoying light that shoots butts, but mostly be annoying as gently caress. Making the game less enjoyable for others is how I feel alive. How I do?

Check the second post for a good light butt-shooting guide! soon you will be shooting robutts with the best of them

Then buy three Arctic Cheetahs, and put five or six small pulse lasers on one of them, like this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=4c8046b09586269a1affa86b6a84ea01c195bd60

three of these together can own bones all by themselves

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Those both sound good, once I have dinner I'll try to find some goons to suck with as I learn the ways of butt tickling.

edit: I saw one mech called an Urbanmech but didn't see anything about it in this thread, is it a light as well? Playing as a mechanized trashcan sounds amazing.

Urbie is a light but it doesn't play like one. In canon it is basically a city fighter with a huge gun that can't outrun a bicycle. In the game it has a limited engine size (about 50 kph slower than the fastest light), 360-degree torso twist, and weird hitboxes. If anything gets close to you, you are mostly boned, but if you stick with assaults and peek with lasers you can do work.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Hrmm, I'll make garbagebot my second mech then. The king crab and dong mechs look pretty appealing too, though they lack buttshooting capabilities.

King Crab is a fun choice because you can do something like this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=238&l=3b8ff70f7e17c6d1e3a2cdd79f484e9e693af3bc

and win almost any staring contest, or this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=175b63948b5477418d120094d9ab07cca133ee73

and ruin people's days at range, or this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=238&l=3d5db8b32a66aa3edad009b6909d457e4380c471

and, you know, double-tap folks for 40 damage

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Size comps for IIC mechs

Jenner

Hunchback

Orion

Highlander

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
So... Ive been pretty interested in these clan mechs.

I bought the Catapult A1 (c) "Clan Variant".

Well... lo behold I take it to the testing grounds and the mech lab. The HUD is neither blue nor are clan LRM available to be equipped?!

Thats the whole reason I just spent $20 on this thing because I was told clan mechs... can equip clan weapons...

I can't even find ANY information ANYWHERE online as to what mechs even CAN equip C-LRM. Is there any way I can have a refund done or something.

steamlaunch.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
what's it entail?

• Locked thread