Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

teepo posted:

i bought an IV-Four and it is loving glorious

that is all

Are Quickdraws good? I never see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Great Beer posted:

My only complaint about the 20 dollar packages is that you can't get the extras after the preorder time. I'd totally own the warhammer right now if I could still get those. The collectors packs arw probably 10 dollars higher than they need to be though. A duplicate of a variant with a cb bonus isn't worth double the price.

It's also double the premium time, so there's that.

I still think the basic pack + Hero is the better deal.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The best thing about LRMs is the shame you can heap on the boats as you spectate their hilarious badness.

Either that or the joy you feel in an Arctic Cheetah when you slip around and find that lone Catapult with nothing LRMs and proceed to take it apart as it makes a pathetic attempt to flee. You can feel the growing desperation as it realizes help isn't coming. Bonus points for mocking it in All Chat during this process.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

what couldn't you fit in those extra five tons?

They probably thought they could underload it to make room for something else on their CW deck.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What are peoples opinions on the nova?

It's ok with 12 Small lasers or 10 SPL. I have the loyalty one, so I bought another to work on pilot skills.

It's no Stormcrow, of course, but you can straight slice arms and torsos off before they realize you're there.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What's a good mastery bundle if I were going to make a bad financial decision? All the ones I've been considering (Stalker, Blackjack) have a chassis I already own in them, which makes them seem pointless to buy.

Fil5000 posted:

I am confused at the idea of running clan mediums that aren't the stormcrow. Very confused.

I enjoy the Stormcrow, but it is the ugliest 'Mech in the game and I can't put up with it forever.

Also, I was given a free Nova.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What?
Explain please.

Back in October they gave out various anniversary loyalty 'Mechs for different things, and one of them was a Nova with awful hardpoints but a 30% C-bill bonus.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 29, 2015

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just saw that the Griffin pack now contains the ECM variant. Only the 1S overlaps with what I already have...and it's the (C) version.

I think my decision is made.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Takkaryx posted:

I got the marmoset, and have been trying to find a good fit for it, but that's mostly because I'm new. Should I be packing ballistics because of the perks, or just 3 large lasers? Gauss? Help :ohdear:

3 AC5, 3 ML, all the rest should be AC ammo.

Dual Gauss was beautiful on it, too, until the Gauss nerf.

EDIT: Argggg, beaten!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

What are some good champions and heroes to buy if I wanted to buy them

Or mastery packs

:siren: Do not ever buy a Champion 'Mech. :siren:

I got the Griffin pack and it is Number One Best A+ if you like mediums.

The only way it could be better is if it had a 3M instead of the 1S.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

That is such a bad mech.

Just think how mildly you could annoy people in it, though!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I can't understand how we lost with this guy as our anchor!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

armchairyoda posted:

Holy poo poo! What graphic settings make the terrain into a polygonal hell?!?

The "I'm in an Atlas with inexplicable weapons, let's facehug a Thunderbolt so hard I clip through its torso" setting, apparently.

Unrelated: I am really bad at PPCs, has anyone run Misery with LPL's instead? Thinking about switching to them.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Axetrain posted:

If I decided to be real dumb and got a Hero mech, how good/bad is the Misery?

I did this with my new Misery (AC/20, 2xLPL,1x MPL in the CT that rarely gets used, STD 300, the rest in ammo and sinks) on my second trip out, and I am not very good, so it seems like a good robot to me. Highlight was soloing a pristine Misery after I'd been shot to poo poo because the idiot never once twisted away from my barrage as I advanced.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 1, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SoftNum posted:

Terra THerma's issue isn't the heat it's that 'lets go fight at the butthole' is boring gameplay.

If the map had no butthole, it'd be an OK map. Plenty of interesting places for clashes to occur...but no, it's all at the butthole.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm legitimately sad I missed the boat on Warhammer early adopter rewards, I just sort of can't justify the purchase without the bonuses.

:pgi: is bad at making money and doesn't understand that keeping those rewards past the "early adopter" period would increase the number sold dramatically.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Maybe if we tweet Russ about it, he'll change his mind and I can own a Marauder without thinking about all the extras I missed out on.

It's me. I'm the one that's bad with money.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Did the servers explode again? Getting the good old "Operation failed: SUCCESS!" screen.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I love that all the people arguing for Alpine to stay fall back on "Well, if all the players would just willingly ignore the most strategically advantageous spot on the map to fight elsewhere, it'd be wonderful!"

Good luck with that.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is anyone interested in showing up for a 12 v 12 goon inhouse event where we all gently caress around and do gimmicky bullshit that would never happen in a pub game?

ideas:
  • 12 v 12 in the basement of HPG Manifold (everyone is an assault 'mech?)
  • LRM boats only (no ECM allowed?)
  • "protect the baby" -- everyone plays Atlas but each team has 1 UrbanMech (your team loses if the Urbie dies)

We could also do a Royal Rumble where lots are drawn and people come into the "ring" in the order that their lots are drawn.

Also, everyone betrays their teammates because Wrestling.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DiHK posted:

Where are you guys seeing marauders for less than the $80 package?

Anyway, Medium talk: You guys are forgetting the Blackjack, which is 45 tons of fun. I imagine it plays like Urbies big brother but I don't know from personal experience.

Literally the most you can spend on Marauders is $55.

You can get the base package for $20.

Great Beer posted:

The marauder is one of the 20/40 packs. You're probably looking at the mauler,a 90 ton assault mech in the second resistance pack.

Oh, yeah...that's probably it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Timberwolf sale is so tempting but it's basically the pumpkin spice latte of MWO.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Noir89 posted:

Recently started playing this game again, and as always i am bad with credits. Is there anyway to make the Locust 3S good? Currently using this but i suck at both mechbuilding and playing so.

That but with an XL 180 is the Metamechs build. I'd argue it'd be better with a single SRM6+Artemis for drive by damage, but can't say in practice.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

TVDinna posted:

Jesus, tried to sign up but it doesn't save the check box on the newsletter. It says preferences are saved.
Anyone else getting that for trying to sign up?

Yep. Leave it to PGI to have a website that straight up refuses to allow anyone to sign up for the newsletter.

Maybe it's saving us from ourselves.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I love how he kept telling you how bad you were as you killed every person who tried to find you. I bet you raised his blood pressure 40 points.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Of course I manage to accidentally sleep through the in-house shenanigans.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

Kudos to whoever suggested the Royal Rumble format where we jump down into the pit when someone on the other team dies. That was my favorite part of the evening.

That was me, and I missed it!

Hopefully we can set another one up, soon.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Tujague posted:

Yeah I think a list of lovely Mechs Don't Bother would be helpful for all the returnees and new players. I dunno. I mean, there's so many goddamn mechs, and I get the unconfirmed feeling that a lot of them are awful. For instance, I have yet to see anyone defend Awesomes on merits. Or Vindicators, now that you mention it. Or Commandos, Trebuchets or Orions.

I mean, I would never stand in the way of somebody's special snowflake but there are a lot of bad roads to stumble down.

It's so rare to see a Vindicator in the wild that when I do, I can't help but stop and stare for a moment.

Orions aren't the worst IS heavy...but they're damned close.

Commandos are so bad that it used to be standard operating procedure to leg any friendlies that dropped in one at the beginning of the match to teach them a lesson.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Drythe posted:

Is it not anymore?

It also seems the days of squawking are over.

Sadly, legging friendlies and Squawking are now bannable offences.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bolow posted:

I'm assuming something like this is the default Shadow Cat build?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=298&l=553394ab5b795a670232b9e419c2ef09fd753d59

I drop the lasers down to SPL or even ER Smalls for more ammo. 400 rounds goes fast with 3 SRM6s, and they are your primary damage dealers.

SHC-B

Sometimes I still run out of ammo.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Guys, they banned everyone who was cheating and now no one cheats because :pgi: caught them all and if you try they'll catch you instantly.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

I saw a Panther-10P yesterday with two LBX-2's and nothing else.

LBX-2's on a Panther, you say?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What are some good Locust builds besides the LPL 1V? I have the ones that came with the Overlord pack.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

2016 and still people have trouble figuring out the pilot skill tree.

Great job, Paul!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

It's been pretty well discussed. Aimbots are nearly impossible to use given the server side calculations, and HSR. Aimbots do exist but I know for a fact that there have already been banwaves on aimbot users in MWO. You'd have to be insane to use one in MWO because of all the telemetry they keep. Paul said they were taking it seriously and didn't want to elaborate - I assume announcements of ban waves is elaboration, I'm willing to take it on faith that they're looking at it. Competitive eSport endgame is something they're interested in and they can't really achieve it without combating the aimbots. I know they do spectator mode on suspected botters - cheater DO get caught. They mentioned this at the Steam launch party. They also have several telemetry 'indicators' that tell them who to watch.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Because he was too busy battle-blogging.

Devorum please source your quotes.

The MWO Facebook group i belong to is a treasure trove of folks who think Russ and Paul are literal messiahs.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

FARTSTAR posted:

aiming isn't even hard in this game

Yet some people feel compelled to pay a monthly fee to have a program do it for them.

In other news, I think the Griffin-2N is my new favorite robot.

EDIT: What's with the CTF-3L that's N/A for both C-Bill and MC cost on the Jump Around sale chart? Are they planning on releasing a Cataphract variant with MASC?

VVV Ok, I think I vaguely remember that from the days of yore.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 15, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just had a game on Terra Therma where, despite it being Assault and there being no reason to enter the butthole, my entire team lined up single file to enter said butthole where the enemy team was already holed up and died horribly. I tried to tell them to ignore it and hit their base to force them to confront us somewhere else, but...pubbies.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Look upon my close range punch, ye mighty, and despair.

If I was going to use this sale to buy bad gimmick robots...which 3 Spiders should I get?

Devorum fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 16, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I saw a Nova with 12 (IIRC) SPLs on it earlier tonight. First time I've actually been afraid of a Nova in this game. :stare:

A 12 ER-Small/10 SPL Nova is a goddamn surgeon. The Loyalty one with the laser arms tacked on is a great moneymaker.

Bonus: If you accidentally alpha, you explode instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

there was no reason for it to exist when it came out

It's been over a year since I've even seen one.

• Locked thread