Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So I decided to start this stupid thing back up because it's Christmas break and robots seem like a good way to pass time til January. Did they do some sort of wipe of accounts that hadn't played for a long time at some point? I still have all the MC I got with my founder thing, along with the Centurion and Atlas I bought way back when, but my c-bills are completely gone - which is fine I guess, the cadet bonuses keep giving me nice amounts, but still.

I'll need to actually buy a thing eventually, so I wanna ask: Is the Summoner as bad as some of the posts here make it out o be? It was always a favorite of mine for brawling in MW3/MW4. If it really is, what are some good alternatives at the Heavy level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It's possible you haven't played since closed beta, where there was a wipe. That was years ago.

And yes the Summoner is just bad. You could probably make one work now if you boat SRMs, but your clan heavy alternatives are basically in descending order: Timberwolves, Ebon Jaguars (Which are like small timberwolves), or Hellbringers which have ECM.

Thanks, think I'll probably look at an Ebon Jaguar because it just hit me that the thing is a drat Cauldron Born.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Could I get an invite to WoL? In-game name is "Corab". Would also appreciate a PM with the Mumble info.

Would doubly appreciate some suggestions for a couple each of IS mediums and heavies so I can start building a drop deck.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Is there any chance of Christmas sales or anything. I've got like 10k MC because I dumbly bought a founder's pack way back when and while I'd like to shore up my mechs a bit without committing fully to the slow grind I'd also kinda like to not pay the current MC prices for them.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Extremely pleased about the Thunderbolt mastery bundle, I was pining for that the other night.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've been sort of steadily falling out of love with River City because teams are more than willing to just set up camps on opposite sides of the river and play the coward's game for quite a while. At this point it's basically a "gently caress it, better than terra therma or caustic" map.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm burning out the last few hours on a contract I snagged to grab a mechbay before joining the goon group. Is it worth bothering if I mostly stock IS mechs at this point, or do you guys drop IS as well?

WoL currently drops IS with Liao, though there's been talk of going clan with the apparent incoming CW reset.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I kind of really do want to buy a Mad Dog just because they've always looked awesome and having some decent armaments to fall back on in it's more iconic configuration has always been a draw.

Honestly if I've had any gripe with these games in general over the years, it's that versatility in loadout has never really been encouraged by the actual mechanics.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Patrat posted:

The Splat Stalker power is real, of course we still lost the game, loving pubbies.

That adder that was left with you was the worst and cost us the game and aaaaaaa

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

We just ran into a Raven packing only a large laser and an LRM 10.

It moved at 81 km/h.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What do these people do with the extra weight :psyduck:

Like I remember our group yesterday being confused enough by that incredibly inept Raven, but seeing that poo poo on assaults is mind-boggling.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I bought my second Cauldy and loaded it out with 2 LRM15s and 5 ER mediums, it does some good work in pub games.

Now to save up for the third :shepicide:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Still can't decide between grabbing the champ Stormcrow or some hero mech. Stormcrows own and it's a great cheap buy-in on them but more mechs with bonus c-bills also owns :negative:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Champ mechs are +XP, not Cbills. If you want a +30% Cbill Stormcrow you have to buy it for 55$ a'la carte or get whatever package it's in from Clan Wave 1 for the (I) variant.

As far as IS heroes go, at 50% off the Sparky is a solid laser boat. It used to be relatively bad but with the last quirk wave its PPC quirks became generalized energy quirks. So you can run LPLs and mediums in it with an XL that's covered by the griffins crazy arms. The Arrow (blackjack) isn't bad either (3 well quirked large lasers and six machine guns) ...and at 50% off the Pirates Bane (locust) is only 700mc or something for a 150kph ECM light that can do four medium lasers (or three and a medium pulse if you want to get crazy.).

Right. I meant that it's basically the choice between buying into a very good but also very expensive line in the Stormcrows at a reduced and attractive price or buying a hero mech in an unrelated line for that precious Cbill boost.

Honestly I did look at the Sparky because the Griffin line looks pretty good (especially for SRMing), but the XL engine is kind of unattractive to me. I am nowhere near good enough at shielding or spreading damage yet so the prospect of losing a side torso and thus gettin' blown up is a real one.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

There's the steam pack with it but its 30bux. has some MC and premium time tho.

Nah I'm not spending real money, I just have 3900 MC leftover and am taking the opportunity to shore up my inventory a bit and want to limit regrets :v:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Drone posted:

What heavy do I want to buy (with C-Bills) to get in on CW? Literally everything else I own is a brawler so something that isn't would be nice. Right now I only own lights and mediums.

IS or Clan?

Thunderbolts do drat good work on the IS side of things. Current dropdeck is 3 of them + a firestarter, and I think I still have some tonnage room. Though they do mostly work at mid to close range, this works well in practice due to the nature of CW - storming a base and thus getting in close.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 28, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Just noticed that I apparently have about $3 million worth of standard engines sitting in my inventory (I guess from switching some stuff out?), is there any reason whatsoever I should hold onto them?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

Only if
A) they're not some of the good variants
B) you need the cash
C) you have duplicates and don't mind swapping engines around.

It's usually considered a poor idea to sell an engine unless you have another copy of it already, since we don't know what's going to be good in the future.

It's a 210, (2) 260s, a 290, and a 60, if that tells you anything. I'll probably go ahead and sell the dupe 260, though.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thank you!

Unrelated: Are mech bays sold in threes?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hi, we ran into an Oxide that did ~800 damage and secured 6 kills within 2 minutes of the match starting tonight!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Takkaryx posted:

Do you know what they were packing?

All of us literally died immediately in one shot so no one actually had a chance to see.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

teepo posted:

either this is a gross exaggeration or there is some sort of damage modifier hack out there because obviously an oxide can not literally do that

all i can do is report on what happened. to reiterate, the match ended at about 2:07 in. In that 2 minutes, and really it's more like 1 once you take away the time until engagement, that Oxide did just shy of 800 damage, got 6 kills, and the rest of the team basically blew us the gently caress up just as easily - just not to the degree that this particular individual did. I'm actually pretty certain several of them were cheating.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

my favorite part was spectating Ansob in his Stormcrow immediately after I got toasted and watching his entire left side disappear all at once.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I hope my MC converts to pretzels

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've been doing CW today because matches happened pretty rapidly and gently caress it, cbill gains are good, and after my last two I'm convinced that TCAF folks are immense cowards who won't spearhead a push to save their lives/win a game. Games went pretty drat good until I ended up dropping with them twice in a row.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Dropping in to confirm once again that losing because your frontline assault mechs are instead built and played as backliners blows rear end

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thunderbolt mastery pack is an investment I'm glad I made. 3 very viable mech chassis if you like lasers

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Always ask before you buy something

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Devorum posted:

I can't understand how we lost with this guy as our anchor!

What is this

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bait and Swatch posted:

I said they produce solid damage, they just don't have the fun factor of dropping two AC20s on some robots dome.

tbf this is what the dude's individual mech guides are for, and he does have some fun stuff in there

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

you can just buy omnipods for it and do whatever you want

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DancingShade posted:

No tonnage restrictions = everyone drops in a 100 ton assault.

I understand some restrictions but they're way too tight as is.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Axetrain posted:

How are the teams matched up, I assumed it was equal tonnage +/- maybe 20 tons to cut down on wait time.

I don't think there's a drat thing that goes into it outside of getting two teams worth of groups together. We've ended up in far too many games where we're running very light against teams with 4 assaults and other heavies to boot.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This poo poo is loving stupid and I've come to actively dread the prospect of getting Boreal Vault in Counter Attack.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Finally got around to fixing up my GRF-2N, threw 4 SRM6+As on it and took it out for a spin.

I'm in love :love:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm legitimately sad I missed the boat on Warhammer early adopter rewards, I just sort of can't justify the purchase without the bonuses.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Devorum posted:

:pgi: is bad at making money and doesn't understand that keeping those rewards past the "early adopter" period would increase the number sold dramatically.

It really would. Like, I'm never going to spend money on these packs (unless I come into way too much money) once the bonuses are gone because it's always going to be on my mind that I'm getting purposely worse value on them - continuing to display those rewards on the shop page for them just further reinforces this.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

novaSphere posted:

It's been happening with pretty much every recent package post-Wave 2, so either they have a consistently, terminally incompetent product manager, or the numbers show that the early adopter stuff actually works and is a deliberate choice.

I think they just value the up-front cash (and they likely do have a good handle on how many early adopter orders they'll get) over potential increased sales after the early adopter period has ended.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd mind it less if the early adopter period at least extended up until the mech actually goes live. I apparently missed the Warhammer period by months going by the Archer release date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My favorite thing about rolling in on enemy butts in this SRM Grffin 2N is when some pubbie kitfox by my side fires on them from 600M out, accomplishing nothing but getting me killed

• Locked thread