Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Don't play clans in the current meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Number19 posted:

Time for me to update my bookmarks it seems.

Are any of you goons coming to the PGI Steam Launch event?

:catstare:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Number19 posted:

I like to go out for drinks with goons when they are in town. Or when I'm in their town.

E: really I just like to go out for drinks

If I'm ever in... idk, Vancouver? I'll take you up on that offer. I'll pass on the tour of the office, though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The SRM6 is the best gun in the game, currently. Matches swing on who brings them to bear quickest and most efficiently.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Emerald Taiga is a piece of garbage map. Every time I (literally) turn around, my computer freezes for .5 to 5 seconds as it loads textures. I suppose if I had opted for 4 SLI'd titans instead of a lowly gtx 960, I wouldn't have that problem. Strangely, not only do I not have this problem on any other map, Taiga is easily the worst looking map in the game. There is just something wrong with that map from a technical standpoint.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

teepo posted:

the gently caress?

Here's what I think he means:

Currently the camera always follows the torso aiming reticle. What he wants is for the camera to follow the arm reticle. Maybe he wants to play MWO with a VR headset? That's the only way that change makes any sense to me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I've been rolling with a 3x UAC/10, 5xMPL direwolf-B in CW over the weekend. It doesn't last long, but it doesn't have to. Before the brawl-friendly changes I'd never have dreamed of fielding it, but now it has a chance to really shine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Willfrey posted:

he wants to play like an elite player, blasting one mech with his arm weapons and another with his torso

That's a good way to have a sibling steal your kill and shoot you in the back. After that, you end up as a maintenance tech and can only resume piloting mechs under an assumed name and the only way to regain your right to pilot a 'mech is under a trial of refusal and end up in charge of a disgraced unit. Better to just do things the normal way.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Skoll posted:

Those were bad books.

Never claimed otherwise.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

various cheeses posted:

I like reading AoD posts in an angry AoD voice.

This is not the first time I've gotten a comment on my voice. What's so special about it?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That's what the archer looks like.

:argh:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Great Beer posted:

It isnt pronounceable as a word. That makes it an initialism, not an acronym. :colbert:

"inkayva"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Willfrey posted:

Still haven't got any solid answers for the IIC mechs, will their hardpoints be swappable? Are the engines swappable?

They are literally the same as IS mechs, except with access to clan weapons, ferro fibrous, XL engines, and endo-steel.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

After the nerf, I wouldn't put 2 gauss on a HBK IIC. I think double UAC/10 might be the way to go.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Beraiye posted:

Wow, guess I'd be pretty pissed too if I had spent as much money on a promise as some of you obviously have... Perhaps some introspection on your own spending habits would prevent you from experiencing so much grief in the future. Games are gonna keep being bad as long as people keep giving money to developers to finance games that publishers refused to invest in. Hint: There's probably a reason they couldn't get money from normal sources. Kickstarting/Crowdfunding is bad, mkay?

I have, at a minimum, 6 outstanding crowdfunded games in my steam library.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

or some no-name,

I bet gamefaqs wishes this were the case right now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Anticheese posted:

Russ builds robot weird.

E: Why do you play with armlock on, Russ??

I play with armlock on when I've got arm mounts with the same range band and fire rate as my torso guns so that they all hit the same target. I play with it off when I'm using streaks or my arm mounts are separate fire circuits from the torso guns. Hope this makes you mad.

edit:vvvv I'm noticing that I can hear my own voice now when I type things. Thanks.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 10, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Love Stole the Day posted:

Hello again, MWO thread. Long time no see. I wanted to check in again because of the whole Steam re-release thing.

Are y'all still dramajerking about how your childhoods have been raped whilst still throwing money at PGI or have you guys moved on to actually talking about and enjoying the game?

"whilst"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Don't you also have to play a game for 2 hours before you can review it now? :v:

I kind of feel like PGI should farm out their engine and art assets for someone else to do MW5 or something, they'd make a decent bit off of that I bet.

If you think that's a good idea, then I have some wonderful news for you about the HBS battletch game due out in 2017.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm trying to figure out how I could muster up that much spite, but not even thinking about the things that I truly despise is capable of summoning that much bile.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Do you consider drive by "game is bad" posts as "irrationally angry"?

Because I haven't seen anyone get real invested in calling it a bad game. Just calling it and leaving for the most part.

I would say that downloading the game, installing it, and playing it for the minimum amount of time just to leave a negative review to be slightly unhinged.

Not that I'm suggesting that a negative review would be wrong, I just can't see how anyone could be justified in being that mad about the game to go through that much effort.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Here's the meta: If you can boat srms, your mech is a good mech. Hotboxes, hardpoint locations, and quirks are ancillary, but the presence of srms in large quantities now determine if your robutt is good. Bigger = more gooder. More = more gooder. Artemis = more gooder.

So your Cent is good. Your catapult is good. The Stormcrow is still on top of the medium heap, and the Twolf D just became the best chassis for twolves.

The mad dog is still a heaping piece of poo poo, though. Go figure. I'm guessing that it just can't be saved if even the SRMsturm doesn't elevate it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Skoll posted:

This is the AS-7 I use, called the Splatlas.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=241&l=34897a95262a63cad3792bdc574f0a4591f956c3

edit:

inb4 :goonsay: over "zomg ur bad cuz command console"

1. You need more SRM ammo. Those are your primary damage dealers, not your AC/20.

2. If you're going to put 2 Medium lasers, why not put them in your center torso so that you still have guns when you get popsicled?

3. you don't need that command console for anything. All it gives you is lock speed and range, and you're in a freakin' brawl build. Allocate those tons for the aforementioned SRM ammo.

edit: vvvvvvv the latter. You're still accumulating skill points while you pilot the trial version, so there's no need to downgrade to a default fit.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 12, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

cheese783 posted:

Yo someone invite me "zastrow" to the word of lowtax. I want to be stompy in my robot with goons.

don't, he's a skeevy lawyer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Thunderbolt 5SS, Thunderbolt 9SE, Wolverine 6K, and then maybe a Firestarter S or K if CW light rushes are still a thing.

Light rushes are mostly not a thing against Clans because of the Streakcrow.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Devorum posted:

Further testing has it performing...better. Still not on par with heavier assaults, though, so I feel like I'm wasting an assault slot.

There's no such thing any more. It's all tonnage now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What's the best and cheapest mech to pick if I want to just take as many dumbfire SRMs as possible and treat them like a giant shotgun? :v:

adder.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I think I'm done playing MWO until the next event, or the next wave of aimbot bans comes down. We dropped like 3 or 4 consecutive times against SJR and they weren't even subtle about their cheating.

PGI needs to get this poo poo under control. There's no point even trying to play this game when this crap goes down on the regular.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Last night I saw lasers perfectly tracking leg bone nodes. Human hands don't do that. People were cheating, regardless of your personal opinions of them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

missiles being poo poo sounds like music to my ears after dealing with LRM death swarms for years

LRMs are dog and have been dog for a long time. SRMs, thanks to the most recent patch, are god.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

as you move up the tiers, your teammates will do more damage and your own numbers will normalize. Plus you'll run into the occasional streakcrow and have a bad match, but that happens to lights some times. Stll, lights are the easiest mechs in the game to do well with, and if you're new to the game and need to gind out cbills, one of the higher performing chassis are where you'll want to start. You'll have the most fun in them starting out.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 14, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I don't know what to take away from that statement.

tl;dr: if you're new, run lights.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CISscum posted:

Played most of the trial mechs and my favourite is Gauss-Pulse-ML Dire Wolf.
Now I have 20M C-Bills and want to buy a Dakkawolf.
How good/bad idea is it?

It's bad. ttk is entirely too long, and you'll end up spreading damage over the entire enemy mech because they're twisting to avoid focused damage. Meanwhile the AC/2s force you to stare down every target.

I run with a 3x UAC/10 direwolf with some medium laser backup. It kills poo poo so quickly that even when focused I can usually take one beefy mech with me before I die.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Devorum posted:

Part of me wants to buy the Kit Fox with 3 AMS and load it with nothing but AMS ammo, then loudly announce that people need to stay near me for LRM protection.

"AMS boat here, stay close to stay dry!"

I'd do that, but swap out all the Kitfox C parts (that's the ecm/ams version) for 4 missile hardpoints and run around shotgunning things right after the lrms start falling.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

various cheeses posted:

Uh oh, no quirks on any of the IIC mechs.

rip non jenner IICs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

tough to say -- it can boat an awful lot of weapons but might run a bit too hot, and it's still unfortunately-shaped

It boats missiles or it boats lasers. It's as fast as a mech can be in this game. No ecm, but it has JJs. pretty much everything else is irrelevant.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something on my mechs, so help out an old man confused by technology, cause this lovely interface is definitely not doing it.

If I understand it correctly, there are 3 different layer of upgrades: Pilot Skills, Mech "Upgrades" and Mech Quirks (for IS). What kind of XP do I need to unlock every different kind? Do I need to purchase them, once they're unlocked?

I'm sure at the time I had unlocked all the basics on 3 different Cents, but that is as far as my memory goes.

Mech quirks are assorted bonuses or penalties assigned to each mech. They affect rate of fire, range, heat, and maneuverability. They are specific to each robot. Your skills do not influence them.

Mech efficiencies are bought with basic xp and make your mech faster, cooler, and easier to pilot. They are purchased on a per model basis.

Upgrades skills are bought with general XP only, and only come into play when you have the right module fitted to your robot. If you are new to the game don't worry about these, as they cost as much as a light mech and have only a marginal impact on the game. Focus on getting the basic and elite skills, and spend the dosh on optimizing your robots for now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bait and Swatch posted:

What is MC for? I have 20000 of it and a founders Atlas.

E: What's the best thing to buy with MC?

Nothing. MC is kind of poo poo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

The IIC mechs are IS mechs for CW right?

Also, tier 3 pub drops are a steaming pile of poo poo. The amount of window licking t5s in the queue is staggering.

They are clan mechs. They just aren't omnimechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SoftNum posted:

I was looking at something like that too for my streakcrow but putting one of the -c pod son it and an LPL for poking.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=185&l=8b2c40bc78981f672dbfe132af6bad8ce587db50

I have a 5xaSRM-6 stormcrow. I have no other weapons on it, as it doesn't need any. It's a fearsome brawler that can hang with any other brawling medium, unlike the streakcrow. It wrecks faces, it wrecks butts, it just isn't any good in the open, and no single large laser can fix that.

• Locked thread