Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Okay, as is traditional; since this thread was inspired by HitFix's Critics Poll, let's directly compare them. (You can view the fourth annual HitFix Critics Poll here.)

What does this say? Well, clearly they value "prestige" drama higher than we do, and we value drama based off comic books higher. The difference in where Transparent is ranked versus where we ranked Transparent, I would guess, is because of recency bias - Transparent came out too close to when our poll started for people to assess it accurately. That's the only reasonable explanation how a show that was 37th last year ended up 105th this year. A drop that precipitous, removed from critical failure (like in True Detective's case, which ended up 89th on their list and unranked on ours, down from 5th and 8th, respectively, last year), even taking "Peak TV" into account, can only realistically be explained by lack of exposure.

That's interesting. With the exception of Transparent and procedurals like Person of Interest (I still haven't seen all the seasons), it seems that SA's poll embraced more unorthodox choices than the Hitfix's poll. Subjectively, I am talking about a show like Sens8, which regardless of whatever criticisms might be lobbed against it, was definitely a departure than the way TV is usually done. The inclusion of sci-fi, even if it is in the mode of a cartoon, and shows that are willing to blur genre lines (Jessica Jones alone encompasses at least three) might be a result of SA's more diverse polling pool.

EDIT: We definitely were more willing to embrace Netflix's experiments than the actual critics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all your hard work Toxx/Rarity. That was a fun read. Some really interesting results.

Some other casualties of air dates I feel were Silicon Valley and Veep. I feel if they aired later they would have been higher on my list (or in Veep's case, on my list)

• Locked thread