Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm satisfied with this outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Okay, so since we know the results now, I have now revealed what shows were placed into which categories by my program. Rather than re-post the whole thing again, though, I opted to just edit my original post instead.

But here's the winners in each category:

Category 1: Daredevil
Category 2: Jessica Jones
Category 3: Survivor
Category 4: Fargo
Category 5: Jessica Jones (again)
Category 6: Parks and Recreation
Category 7: The 100
Category 8: Rick and Morty
Category 9: The Leftovers
Category 10: Review
Category 11: iZombie

So if someone asked for a set of ten TV shows from the past year that represented as much variety as possible, while still being as high-quality as possible, would you say this is the best list to follow? Would you make any changes to it?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wanton Spoon posted:

So if someone asked for a set of ten TV shows from the past year that represented as much variety as possible, while still being as high-quality as possible, would you say this is the best list to follow? Would you make any changes to it?

Telling someone to watch Jessica Jones twice, when he asks you for variety, would be kind of weird.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Air is lava! posted:

Telling someone to watch Jessica Jones twice, when he asks you for variety would be kind of weird.

That's why he included iZombie, smartypants

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
First time doing my reviews and this was pretty cool.

Love the way you posted the list Rarity. Trying to guess shows based off the quotes was fun. I got a few right (though one had a quote of my own).

Happy one other person beside me gave PoI #1

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I wonder how Jessica Jones would have done if it had come out in May rather in now. I feel we have kind of forgot some shows.

Also good job Rarity, I love the way you listed this.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Love the roll out of the list Rarity - I wish I had done one in time, if only to push Outlander a little higher up than sub 50!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

I wonder how Jessica Jones would have done if it had come out in May rather in now. I feel we have kind of forgot some shows.

Yeah, I know a lot of shows, especialy those which where series finales, in the spring were left off my list. I really liked shows like Justified and Parks and Rec, but they didn't make my list, because I think of the ending a of a great show as different than a great season of current TV. That might not "be fair" or whatever, but when I think about the final seasons of Justified or Parks and Rec, I can't think about that season by itself, it's all tangled up in my feelings about the whole show. Whereas younger, current shows, my feelings are more about what the current season did to interest me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay, as is traditional; since this thread was inspired by HitFix's Critics Poll, let's directly compare them. (You can view the fourth annual HitFix Critics Poll here.)

code:
HitFix Rankings                                                  SA Rankings
Name of Show        Number of Points                             Name of Show          Number of Points  
1. Fargo            324 Points                                   1. Fargo              251 Points
2. The Americans    206 Points                                   2. Jessica Jones      210 Points
3. Mad Men          200 Points                                   3. Better Call Saul   209 Points
4. Transparent      152 Points                                   4. Mr. Robot          139 Points
5. Better Call Saul 151 Points                                   5. Daredevil          135 Points
6. Game of Thrones  141 Points                                   6. The Leftovers      110 Points
7. The Leftovers    132 Points                                   7. Rick and Morty     104 Points
8. Mr. Robot        104 Points                                   8. Person of Interest  96 Points
9. The Jinx          69 Points                                   9. Sense8              95 Points
10. Veep             63 Points                                   10. Agents of SHIELD   93 Points 
This doesn't tell the whole story, however; we had 66 entries, and they had 53. A thirteen poll difference between the two is significant enough that a straight comparison isn't very valuable. More usefully, if we provide the number as a percentage of total points (for Hitfix, that's 2915 points. For SA, that's 3630 points.) Thus, the comparison is:

code:
HitFix Rankings                                                   SA Rankings
Name of Show        Percentage of Total Points                    Name of Show          Percentage of Total Points  
1. Fargo            11.11%                                        1. Fargo              6.91%
2. The Americans     7.07%                                        2. Jessica Jones      5.79%
3. Mad Men           6.86%                                        3. Better Call Saul   5.76%
4. Transparent       5.21%                                        4. Mr. Robot          3.83%
5. Better Call Saul  5.18%                                        5. Daredevil          3.72%
6. Game of Thrones   4.84%                                        6. The Leftovers      3.03%
7. The Leftovers     4.53%                                        7. Rick and Morty     2.87%
8. Mr. Robot         3.57%                                        8. Person of Interest 2.64%
9. The Jinx          2.37%                                        9. Sense8             2.62%
10. Veep             2.16%                                        10. Agents of SHIELD  2.56%
For HitFix, their top ten shows account for 52.9% of all points cast. For us, our top ten shows account for 39.73% of all points cast. Essentially, critical consensus is significantly more clear than Something Awful's in general.

Finally, let's do a straight-line comparison in where their top ten placed on our poll and vice-versa.

code:
HitFix Rankings                                                   SA Rankings
Name of Show        SA Ranking of Show                            Name of Show          HitFix Ranking of Show
1. Fargo            1st                                           1. Fargo              1st
2. The Americans    18th                                          2. Jessica Jones      17th
3. Mad Men          36th                                          3. Better Call Saul   5th
4. Transparent      Tied for 105th                                4. Mr. Robot          8th
5. Better Call Saul 3rd                                           5. Daredevil          Tied for 89th
6. Game of Thrones  23rd                                          6. The Leftovers      7th  
7. The Leftovers    6th                                           7. Rick and Morty     Tied for 89th
8. Mr. Robot        4th                                           8. Person of Interest Unranked
9. The Jinx         40th                                          9. Sense8             Unranked
10. Veep            33rd                                          10. Agents of SHIELD  Unranked
The biggest ranking difference between HitFix's top ten and our list is Transparent, which ranked at number four overall on their list with 152 total points. We listed it in a seven-way tie for 105, having garnered...three points.

The biggest ranking difference between our top ten and HitFix's list is Person of Interest, which ranked at number eight overall on our list with 96 total points. They didn't list it at all on their list. Not a single person of the 53 entrants considered Person of Interest (alongside Sense8 and Agents of SHIELD, our numbers nine and ten respectively) one of the ten best shows of 2015. The biggest ranking difference between our top ten and HitFix's list that is still ranked on HitFix's list is Daredevil, which ranked at number five overall on our list with 135 total points. They listed it in an eight-way tie for 89th (alongside our number seven pick, Rick and Morty), having garnered...two points.

What does this say? Well, clearly they value "prestige" drama higher than we do, and we value drama based off comic books higher. The difference in where Transparent is ranked versus where we ranked Transparent, I would guess, is because of recency bias - Transparent came out too close to when our poll started for people to assess it accurately. That's the only reasonable explanation how a show that was 37th last year ended up 105th this year. A drop that precipitous, removed from critical failure (like in True Detective's case, which ended up 89th on their list and unranked on ours, down from 5th and 8th, respectively, last year), even taking "Peak TV" into account, can only realistically be explained by lack of exposure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sbaldrick posted:

On the flip side, I felt like at least one show was too recent to really justify including it on my list. Ash vs Evil Dead was a tremendously entertaining show but adding it to my top ten while it was still airing its first season just felt wrong.

There seems to be a good range of shows from throughout the year though, and that handy list on the first page showing all the major stuff that aired this year.

Great job Toxx and Rarity. I really dug the way the list unfolded a bit at a time. Also even though it is a subjective list, I'm glad that the two objectively best shows of the year ended up ranking 1st and 2nd!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sbaldrick posted:

Trying to be as objective as possible, even removed from my indifference to the show, I would argue that JJ, conversely to Transparent, is the show that benefited the most from recency bias. I have no stats to back it up - being a freshman show on a streaming network with an all-at-once rollout over a three-month seasonal cycle - but, gut feeling, having run this thing for four years, I would say that that's a major reason for its second place finish. Feel free to disregard it if you disagree, but I believe that's a reasonable inference based off of four years of watching the results.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Trying to be as objective as possible, even removed from my indifference to the show, I would argue that JJ, conversely to Transparent, is the show that benefited the most from recency bias. I have no stats to back it up - being a freshman show on a streaming network with an all-at-once rollout over a three-month seasonal cycle - but, gut feeling, having run this thing for four years, I would say that that's a major reason for its second place finish. Feel free to disregard it if you disagree, but I believe that's a reasonable inference based off of four years of watching the results.

I think it's true. Jessica Jones didn't make my list because I was determined to think back on everything I watched this year and it just barely got bumped off. But if I hadn't made that effort and just gone with how I felt immediately after watching it I'd probably have put it on my list.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wanton Spoon posted:

Okay, so since we know the results now, I have now revealed what shows were placed into which categories by my program. Rather than re-post the whole thing again, though, I opted to just edit my original post instead.

But here's the winners in each category:

Category 1: Daredevil
Category 2: Jessica Jones
Category 3: Survivor
Category 4: Fargo
Category 5: Jessica Jones (again)
Category 6: Parks and Recreation
Category 7: The 100
Category 8: Rick and Morty
Category 9: The Leftovers
Category 10: Review
Category 11: iZombie

You want to sub in CXG in cat five because its by far the most unique show on the list, and frankly of all the categories

you want to sub banshee over 100 for cat 7, probably

besides that its fine, you get p much the whole fuckin spectrum of tv with that group of 11 categories

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thank you, Rarity and Toxx, for all the trouble you went to compiling our results and rolling them out in such a dramatic fashion. I was honored to be quoted so many times!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hakkesshu posted:

Ah ok I missed The Jinx but will go back and check it out after how much I'm loving this

Edit: But really I'm not so much gripped by the "characters" as I am about the systematic destruction of these poor people's lives, it's horrifying to watch

wait, you never saw the jinx? ahahahahahah yeah if you think making a murderer is good the jinx will blow your fuckin mind

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I claim Category 10 as I'm the only one who posted all the shows that came up in it.

I feel bad for the shows I saw that are better than some of the ones I listed. My memory is poor and I used a quick glance at the Pog design calendar to base my entries.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I watched the first episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend because of this thread and it was amazing so thanks weird TVIV thread Rarity made me read.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think the leftovers is for everyone. But, for me, it has become my favorite show of all time. Others were more satisfying, others still were probably better written. But the mix of acting, writing and directing of the leftovers has messed with my emotions in a way that no show has ever done, and that I didn't think possible. I think the leftovers ratings probably suffer because of that. It is a show, in season 2 at least, that if it doesn't connect you probably feel is completely overrated, but if it connects with you, then drat. As such, it is not surprising that it was voted like it was, as either #1 or not at all.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Thank you again Rarity and Occ for putting this shitshow together, it's always fun.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Thanks Rarity and Toxx, that was a hell of a lot of fun.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Thanks for doing this, Rarity and Occ; you guys knocked it out of the park.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Toxxupation posted:

The biggest ranking difference between HitFix's top ten and our list is Transparent, which ranked at number four overall on their list with 152 total points. We listed it in a seven-way tie for 105, having garnered...three points.

The biggest ranking difference between our top ten and HitFix's list is Person of Interest, which ranked at number eight overall on our list with 96 total points. They didn't list it at all on their list. Not a single person of the 53 entrants considered Person of Interest (alongside Sense8 and Agents of SHIELD, our numbers nine and ten respectively) one of the ten best shows of 2015. The biggest ranking difference between our top ten and HitFix's list that is still ranked on HitFix's list is Daredevil, which ranked at number five overall on our list with 135 total points. They listed it in an eight-way tie for 89th (alongside our number seven pick, Rick and Morty), having garnered...two points.

What does this say? Well, clearly they value "prestige" drama higher than we do, and we value drama based off comic books higher. The difference in where Transparent is ranked versus where we ranked Transparent, I would guess, is because of recency bias - Transparent came out too close to when our poll started for people to assess it accurately. That's the only reasonable explanation how a show that was 37th last year ended up 105th this year. A drop that precipitous, removed from critical failure (like in True Detective's case, which ended up 89th on their list and unranked on ours, down from 5th and 8th, respectively, last year), even taking "Peak TV" into account, can only realistically be explained by lack of exposure.
Of course also what should be taken into account is that it's critics vs. a bunch of chucklefucks on a predominantly male message board, but yeah. Transparent I feel like aired way too late for me to really digest it (although I did watch The Leftovers S2 in the last few days and ended up putting it in my top 10). I like Transparent a lot and I think it's important but maybe because I don't have to play tastemaker, I kinda just pushed it out into the rest of my top 25 or so shows.

I also had a lot of trouble trying to remember shows that aired from January to April as well.

But yeah thanks to everyone for making this work. Was a lot of fun.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
What these results have shown me is that next year y'all need to require a top 20. There are just too many shows out there right now to limit ourselves to 10. Peak TV and all that.

Unless that would make this a bigger pain in the rear end for you to do, obvi

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Sober posted:

Of course also what should be taken into account is that it's critics vs. a bunch of chucklefucks on a predominantly male message board, but yeah.

This is pretty unfair when Sense8 is sitting right there in the top 10.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A predominantly male message board still picked Jessica Jones as their second favourite show of the year. Does that make us dirty SJWs?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

A predominantly male message board still picked Jessica Jones as their second favourite show of the year. Does that make us dirty SJWs?

Actually I think it might make us cucks

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good work Rarity, but my show lost, so gently caress all yall.

Seeya next year, for more moon destroying hyperbole about Fargo season 3

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I see we haven't had the FPTP list of the shows. I'm sorry if I am stepping on anyone toes, but here's the:

Rabid fanbase FPTP list: (only #1 votes matter)

1. FARGO (FX) #1 spot 11 times (-)

6. THE LEFTOVERS (HBO) #1 spot 8 times (+4)

4. MR. ROBOT (USA) #1 spot 5 times (+1)
12. CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND (THE CW) #1 spot 5 times (+9)

3. BETTER CALL SAUL (AMC) #1 spot 4 times (-2)
17. YOU'RE THE WORST (FX) #1 spot 4 times (+12)

2. JESSICA JONES (NETFLIX) #1 spot 3 times (-5)
10. AGENTS OF SHIELD (ABC) #1 spot 3 times (+3)

--

7. RICK AND MORTY (ADULTSWIM) #1 spot 2 times
8. PERSON OF INTEREST (CBS) #1 spot 2 times
9. SENSE8 (NETFLIX) #1 spot 2 times
16. PARKS AND RECREATION (NBC) #1 spot 2 times
21. REVIEW (COMEDY CENTRAL) #1 spot 2 times
25. THE KNICK (CINEMAX) #1 spot 2 times

5. DAREDEVIL (NETFLIX) #1 spot 1 time
11. THE 100 (THE CW) #1 spot 1 time
14. IZOMBIE (THE CW) #1 spot 1 time
15. BOJACK HORSEMAN (NETFLIX) #1 spot 1 time
20. HANNIBAL (NBC) #1 spot 1 time
24. BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (FOX) #1 spot 1 time
29. THE GENIUS (TVN) #1 spot 1 time
32. Z NATION (SYFY) #1 spot 1 time
38. BANSHEE (CINEMAX) #1 spot 1 time
46. VIKINGS (HISTORY) #1 spot 1 time
There's probably couple more shows outside #50 that have a #1 vote and nothing else, but let's ignore those beautiful snowflakes & their votes for now.

Fargo is still undisputed winner, The Leftovers is clear 2nd while Jessica Jones falls down from that spot to #7.
Mr. Robot and Better call Saul Stay basically same swapping spots.
More rapid fans of Crazy ex-girlfriend and you're the worst elbow theirselves much higher than expected. That's what being crazy and worst gets to you.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rocksicles posted:

Seeya next year, for more moon destroying hyperbole about Fargo season 3

Fargo doesn't return until 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Score.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I would welcome a Fargo season set on a moon colony.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This might sound weird but I think Transparent is a peak TV Wire.

Critics love it but it has no street buzz and doesn't seem to get any. I admit that it might be due to it's platform (Amazon Prime is a region locking mess) but I don't think it will build audience the way the Wire did

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

As always Rarity is my better half on this project and all kudos deserve to go her way

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rarity posted:

6. THE LEFTOVERS (HBO)
UP 42 (!!)
110 points, listed 13 times, #1 spot 8 times
that is some rabid supprt.

Great job on the poll and the unveiling, Rarity. Occuptation too if you did stuff. I really need to see Fargo I guess.

Can you post the top 50 all in one post now that the countdown is over? Kind of curious where all the comic book stuff falls. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Agents of SHIELD, The Flash, Arrow... there's so much of it. iZombie too I guess although it feels less like a comic book series than, say, Person of Interest

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fast Luck posted:

that is some rabid supprt.

Great job on the poll and the unveiling, Rarity. Occuptation too if you did stuff. I really need to see Fargo I guess.

Can you post the top 50 all in one post now that the countdown is over? Kind of curious where all the comic book stuff falls. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Agents of SHIELD, The Flash, Arrow... there's so much of it. iZombie too I guess although it feels less like a comic book series than, say, Person of Interest

Yeah, I guess I can. I was already planning on it seeing as it'll be needed next year, I've just been enjoying being lazy.

1. Fargo
2. Jessica Jones
3. Better Call Saul
4. Mr. Robot
5. Daredevil
6. The Leftovers
7. Rick and Morty
8. Person of Interest
9. Sense8
10. Agents of Shield
11. The 100
12. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
13. Broad City
14. iZombie
15. Bojack Horseman
16. Parks and Recreation
17. You're The Worst
18. The Americans
19. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
20. Hannibal
21. Review
22. Justified
23. Game of Thrones
24. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
25. The Knick
26. Last Week Tonight
27. UnREAL
28. Master of None
29. The Genius
30. Survivor
31. Silicon Valley
32. Z Nation
33. Veep
34. Orphan Black
35. The Flash
36. Mad Men
37. Nathan For You
38. Banshee
39. Limitless
40. The Jinx
41. Steven Universe
42. Gravity Falls
43. Community
44. Doctor Who
45. Manhattan
46. Vikings
47. Shameless
48. Rectify
49. Homeland
50. Wet Hot American Summer

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

mad men literally immediately below the flash throws into high relief how actually loving absurd that is

I'm still catching up, but yup. But that just happens with conglemerating lists I suppose. Like anything, it's just better to follow one person's recommendations that also has your own wavelength. But seeing shows that people only half defend or are voted because they hit some sort of nerd center regardless of quality hurts.

BTW, thanks Rarity and co. for getting this together. Better than any best of TV list I've caught so far this year.

EDIT: I take it all back, Mad Men was voted below Survivor, good god.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Thanks Rarity!

Shageletic posted:

Survivor is awesome though.

If you check my votes I've got prestige shows like Mad Men and The Leftovers and not really much if any of popcorn action type shows, but I also included Survivor because what a lot of people don't realize is that it's good! :shobon:

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 4, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Survivor is awesome though.

If you check my votes I've got prestige shows like Mad Men and The Leftovers and not really much if any of popcorn action type shows, but I also included Survivor because what a lot of people don't realize is that it's good! :shobon:

Fair enough, my reaction is from previous seasons I've checked out. Agents of Shield, which I actually gave up on this season, hits my personal "okay?" spot harder anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

My personal dislike for Mad Men aside, that Survivor rating should have an asterisk in that one season this year was garbage but the other was the best it's ever been.

• Locked thread