Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
10. Bob's Burgers

Six seasons in and still going strong. This is my cartoon comfort food, I just wish Fox would air more than one episode per month or so.

9. Ash vs Evil Dead

Holy poo poo, they managed to make a show that's just as over-the-top crazy, gory and, most imprtantly, FUN as the source material. And neither Lucy Lawless nor Ash's demon hand have even caught up with Ash yet! I want to go back in time and high-five my 15-year old self while showing him clips of this.

8. Better Call Saul

Yeah yeah we were all worried about this one but it turns out the nice people who made Breaking Bad simply decided to make more Breaking Bad for us to enjoy.

7. Rick & Morty

Some of the sharpest writing of Harmon's career coupled with an all-around herculean effort by the animators.

6. The Knick

I never thought I'd enjoy a medical drama this much. So pretty. This may be my favorite Soderbergh thing ever.

5. Broad City

A show that oozes "these girls are actually best buds in real life" from every frame and line of dialogue. Also Ilana Glazer is a national treasure and I'm glad they doubled down on her physical comedy this season. Don't ever tell this show to smile because it's so pretty when it smiles, it will gently caress you up.

4. Veep

Adding Hugh Laurie to what was already my favorite cast in comedy today was an inspired choice. Really hope they manage to keep the quality up next season without Iannucci, this has just been firing on all cylinders the last two years.

3. Fargo

True Detective made me really afraid this was gonna fall off too but HOOOOOLY gently caress has Hawley ever knocked this one out of the park.

2. Nathan For You

I'm probably gonna regret not giving this the top spot after what promises to be an epic finale this week. Still the most unique comedy / reality hybrid ever. CC has really struck gold with their "let's give a bunch of comedians a time slot to make their weird little shows and see what happens" strategy lately.

1. Review

This was somehow both the darkest and funniest season of TV I've ever seen. They managed to build off an already excellent debut season in all the right ways. Forrest's dad was a great addition and James Urbaniak's producer character graduated from being kind of a dick to channeling pure evil. AJ's reaction faces were silent movie actress level great. And the veto booth. Oh god, the veto booth.

At the end of the day it's still Andy Daly giving the performance of his life that makes this work though.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

adhuin posted:

5. Lucha Underground
Even if I'm first to nominate a wrestling show this year, please don't hit me.
A Little wrestling show that could. It combines mexican style wrestling with a well filmed tv-series style backstage drama that results in awesome matches and ridiculous (in a good way) storylines.
Ex: a Phoenix faced an incarnation of Death in a casket mask and buried him. But this all was a ruse make Mil Muerte stronger and he rose from the dead with new minions and captured all the Title-belts. They recently got renewed for 2nd season that starts in january and I can't wait for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XXDtu8tsk
(Matches were recently pulled from official channel, so here's the backstory promo for the Temple)
I wouldn't exactly call the backstage stuff drama, it's more like Shaw Bros. meets 90s Robert Rodriguez ridiculousness.

This is simultaneously the craziest and best-produced / written hour of weekly wrestling I've ever seen and it's all due to the reins being held by people with TV backgrounds instead of a bunch of carny-rear end ex-wrestlers. Can't quite bring myself to put it over anything on my list but it's definitely worth checking out, even for people who aren't wrestling fans.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 7, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, there were too many great shows this year. Review s2 was loving awesome in every way but it wouldn't even make my top 20.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Okay let me think about this. Apparently I didn't really watch a lot this year.

10 The Last Man on Earth
After the first season ended kind of dull, the show found a better pace and can be actually kinda sweet.

9 Master of None
I am not a big fan of the actor and didn't really find that show all that funny, but it felt interesting, since it talked about unusual topics.

8 Last Week Tonight
I like John Oliver, I really do. But he is starting to get a bit repitative.

7 Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
That show had some dark, but optimistic humor. That's basically my favourite kind. But the last few episodes where a bit weak.

6 Veep
It's just a good show.

5 Rick and Morty
Again dark humor and unusual topics. A great combo.

4 Jessica Jones
I like shows with a female lead and Kirsten Bell really did a good job there.

3 iZombie
It's a silly show with fun characters a stupid premise and a terrible title.

2 Marvels agents of shield
I really love this show. Ever since the end of the first season the episodes kept getting better and the pace kept getting faster. The actors are also really charming and talented. The only bad thing about it is, that I can't really advise any of my friends to watch it, due to its slow start. I'm glad I didn't drop it back then.

1 Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
The title is literally the only bad thing about this show.
I love this show, I love the musical numbers, I love the actors and I really hope that Rachel Bloom will get more gigs after this one gets canceled, because vitually no one watches it. She is a great actor/writer/songwriter and deserves all the rewards and attention.
The only reason I don't suggest it to everyone I meet is that I am a manly man and look weird when advising such a "girly" show.
It's only thanks to this forum that I decided to watch this show in the first place. Go do the same!

Also quoting Senerio, since they put it best.

Senerio posted:

1) Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is the greatest show that none of you are watching. Bar none, it is my favorite show of the year, and I thoroughly enjoyed every second the show was on my screen.

Rebecca Bunch is a big-shot New York lawyer, who should, objectively, be happy at the fact that she is getting a promotion to partner in her law firm, but she isn't. She runs into her old boyfriend from summer camp, Josh Chan, who tells her that he's planning on moving to West Covina, California (Only 2 hours from the beach 4 in traffic!) Hearing how happy he is in West Covina makes the town seem really appealing, and Rebecca moves there because Josh is there and also by coincidence, Josh is there.

The story is an exploration on the term "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend," exploring the person behind the label, and what it would take to make someone follow a man across the country. Rebecca is crazy, and she did in fact follow Josh across the country, as much as she denies it, but that's far from everything about her. It's smart, it's funny, and it's currently getting a 0.3 rating. Please watch it.

Every song in this show is hilarious. I love them all, and here are a few songs from the show.
Rebecca gets ready to go on a date with a guy she met who knows Josh, Greg.
Rebecca reveals her true feelings about Josh's girlfriend, the beautiful but high-maintenance Valencia.
Rebecca's co-worker and friend Paula gives her advice.
Greg asks Rebecca out on a real date!
Rebecca's boss, Darryl, explains about how difficult being a father of a daughter you love with all your heart is.
Greg sings a lament about how he will be stuck in West Covina for the rest of his life. Song of the season right here.
Rebecca is depressed, and the French are the best at being depressed.
Rebecca's mother comes to town in the mid-season finale, and it was even better than it appeared to be.

Every episode had at least one standout song. Some had multiple. There were a few pretty great parodies too!
A parody of the music video for Beyonce's Partition, about a one night stand.
A Nicki Minaj parody about impressing the in-laws.

So everyone, watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and have a wonderful California Christmastime!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHLHXRx_IQ

It's so irritating that these videos only have a viewcount below 100.000.
It feels like I watched them more than that myself.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 7, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

If you take nothing else from the lists this year, it's that you should watch crazy ex girlfriend.(it'll be in my list too.)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Zaggitz posted:

If you take nothing else from the lists this year, it's that you should watch crazy ex girlfriend.(it'll be in my list too.)

We all should. I just started thanks to this thread and so far it has been amazing!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

10. Blue Bloods - I'm an old goon so this is right in my wheel house. When I can stay up late enough to watch, of course. The cast is actually one of my favorite ensembles on TV. I started watching this a few years ago when I had to live with my parents for a few months after grad school and found myself still watching it ever since.

9. The Brink - I'm generally pretty ambivalent about Jack Black had pretty low expectations based on the trailer but this ended up being my surprise of the summer.

8. Hawaii Five-O - Another show I found myself still watching even though I didn't have to anymore. Gorgeous views of Hawaii in HD never hurt, plus it has Hurley and Jin. :lost:

7. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - Nobody is better at pointing out the absurdities of our hosed up, stupid world better than John Oliver. What can you do but laugh?

6. Game of Thrones - Breathtaking in scope, started feeling a little too nihilistic at the end of this season for me and I find Dany's story kind of boring.

5. Better Call Saul - I think this is a better show in terms of quality of writing and acting then everything but #1 and 4 in my list, but I am more invested in the overall story of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

4. Mr. Robot - Rami Malek is amazing, not only wouldn't be as good with another actor, I don't think the show would even work. If I put my amateur critic hat on this show would only be bested by The Leftovers.

3. The Walking Dead - Look, I get it. It's not Shakespeare. Not everything needs to be. Good, fun event TV.

2. Silicon Valley - Best comedy on TV. I love this show a lot.

1. The Leftovers - I liked Season 1 quite a bit. It started a little slow but from episode 3 on it was great. Then I kind of forgot about it. Then Season 2 started. Every week I thought it couldn't possibly get better, and every week I was wrong. Season 2 was the best season of any show, ever.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 16, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm holding off on my list for the same reason, but right now while [Fargo's] gonna be way higher for me than it was last year, its finale is going to have to truly blow me away to gain the top spot. There were some really really great shows this year.

Well... it's trying..... it's definitely trying.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zaggitz posted:

Seriously. It's amazing and I love it and I put actual effort in my list (on the weekend Xenoblade X came out, no less) specifically so at least one person would find the show and watch it because goddamn I love it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Senerio posted:

1) Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is the greatest show that none of you are watching. Bar none, it is my favorite show of the year, and I thoroughly enjoyed every second the show was on my screen.

Rebecca Bunch is a big-shot New York lawyer, who should, objectively, be happy at the fact that she is getting a promotion to partner in her law firm, but she isn't. She runs into her old boyfriend from summer camp, Josh Chan, who tells her that he's planning on moving to West Covina, California (Only 2 hours from the beach 4 in traffic!) Hearing how happy he is in West Covina makes the town seem really appealing, and Rebecca moves there because Josh is there and also by coincidence, Josh is there.

The story is an exploration on the term "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend," exploring the person behind the label, and what it would take to make someone follow a man across the country. Rebecca is crazy, and she did in fact follow Josh across the country, as much as she denies it, but that's far from everything about her. It's smart, it's funny, and it's currently getting a 0.3 rating. Please watch it.

Every song in this show is hilarious. I love them all, and here are a few songs from the show.
Rebecca gets ready to go on a date with a guy she met who knows Josh, Greg.
Rebecca reveals her true feelings about Josh's girlfriend, the beautiful but high-maintenance Valencia.
Rebecca's co-worker and friend Paula gives her advice.
Greg asks Rebecca out on a real date!
Rebecca's boss, Darryl, explains about how difficult being a father of a daughter you love with all your heart is.
Greg sings a lament about how he will be stuck in West Covina for the rest of his life. Song of the season right here.
Rebecca is depressed, and the French are the best at being depressed.
Rebecca's mother comes to town in the mid-season finale, and it was even better than it appeared to be.

Every episode had at least one standout song. Some had multiple. There were a few pretty great parodies too!
A parody of the music video for Beyonce's Partition, about a one night stand.
A Nicki Minaj parody about impressing the in-laws.

So everyone, watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and have a wonderful California Christmastime!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHLHXRx_IQ

*A Power Ranger has a major role in this show.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. I decided to see what the fuss was about and watched a couple and they were amazing. I will check this out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ugh I gueessss I'll watch this Ex Girlfriend show

Probably not in time to have a chance for my list though

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

It's weird how both the "yeah I'm the cartoon guy lol!" posts have had Star Wars Rebels rather than actual good cartoons

I don't think anime is allowed in here.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No anime in the top ten lists should be the only rule.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Rocksicles posted:

No anime in the top ten lists should be the only rule.

This is a good rule that everyone should abide by. Also it's frustrating having like, 17 super high quality shows to choose between and some people are putting random crap on their list. I don't even watch that much TV, you guys. I AM DISAPPOINT.
I do know Fargo's probably #1. holy poo poo let's make this happen people.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Stairmaster posted:

I don't think anime is allowed in here.

Won't stop me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd say that if you put anime on your list that should be the one time when people can talk poo poo about your list. And in fact it would probably be a good idea that you should be mandatorily mocked for a time and then shunned by everyone else. But honestly if you put anime on your list you'd probably already be used to that so it would be pretty ineffective. So if someone puts anime on their list you should probably just leave them alone because they've probably already had a rough go. It is the holiday season after all.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The top 3 are interchangeable enough for me but I put The Knick up there just because I think more people should see it. Your eyes will love you for watching it.

10 Justified I wasn't a big fan of the last season, it really peeked around 2 and 3 for me but it was a good show.

9. Scream QueensIts a joke show about serial killing. Emma Roberts as malignant bitch Channel Oberlin is hysterical, especially chaneloween.

8. Shameless. I wasn't a big fan of the newest season of Shameless but its still Shameless.

7. Better Call Saul was pretty good. I didn't know what to expect but I really think they should expand the cast a bit.

6 Jessica Jones surprised me. Superhero poo poo is not my jam, at all, and I only watched the first episode because I think Krysten Ritter can be great and the show was too.

5 UnReal is a fun drama about the people who make reality tv, and in this show they are shiiiiiity people. And entertaining. It was another show I was expecting literally nothing from and it really delivered.

4. Fargo Last year Fargo was maybe my favorite thing ever, this year its still really good but it feels like it went too fast for me to really latch on to any of the characters. Still some standout episodes though.

3.Broad City is the funniest show. I'm guaranteed several huge belly laughs watching any episode.

2 The Leftovers had what must have been close to a perfect season. The first season was really good but the entire time it felt like clinical depression that just lifts at the end so it was challenging to watch. The second season was, well you wouldn't call it super uplifting but it was gripping.

1 The Knick is great stuff. funny, gross, tragic

For what its worth I think peeps should be able to post their terrible animes. No one is forcing anyone to watch anything and its just about listing what you like.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They are allowed to post them. You can post whatever you want. I mean if people can post wrestling shows, reality shows, and talk shows they can post animes too. It's not strictly limited to scripted live action comedy and drama.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Spatula City posted:

Also it's frustrating having like, 17 super high quality shows to choose between and some people are putting random crap on their list. I don't even watch that much TV, you guys. I AM DISAPPOINT.
I do know Fargo's probably #1. holy poo poo let's make this happen people.

The OP uses the word "favorite" multiple times as to what we're supposed to list, as opposed to "best". It sounds like you wanted to do "best". It would be really bizarre if out of all the shows on TV people had no problem sticking to the 17 super high quality shows you refer to as their "favorites". You could do that with "best", it would be like the final nominees.

Maybe it's just me but my top 10 best shows list would look a lot different than top 10 favorite. :shrug:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
10- Crime Scene
It's really just a great little clever show that both engages your mystery solving brain with your laughing at some drat funny people brain. Season 2 really hit it stride with the additions of Jang Dongmin and Hani to an already great cast.

9- Sense8
It's kind of amazing how so massive of a production can also seem so very very intimate. This show just makes me feel good and hopeful.

8-Agents of Shield
It just keeps getting better every year and now I just have no idea what can happen next. I just know if I'm watching an episode of AoS I'm in for a ride.

7- Daredevil
A thirteen part epic about morality and what it means to actually save a city. This is a show I could not stop watching as all the characters were just so drat compelling and Wilson Fisk was by far the most fascinating villain in the MCU up till that point

6- Better Call Saul
You know on Breaking Bad I thought Saul Goodman was good character, but on Better Call Saul, Jimmy McGill is an amazing one. Watching him try to remain straight in such a crooked world was just fascinating to watch.

5- Game of Thrones
Still the best spectacle on television. Still the show I always buy the blue ray for

4- Jessica Jones
Remember how in Daredevil I said most interesting villain up till that point. Well then this show came along and just wow... Killgrave is just so casually menacing with his overwhelming power. Don't be fooled into thinking its only him who is great in the this show. Every character is very well conceived and acted especially the title character and my all time favorite comic book hero Luke Cage (see you next year Luke!)

3- Fargo
Season 1 was an amazing suspenseful that did full credit to one the best movies in the 90's, and to this point Season 2 is much much better. Love the characters, love the setting, love the film making and I love the music its just an impeccably crafted show.

2- Mr. Robot
Also impeccably crafted, and amazingly acted with the lead character being the most interesting character on TV right now. This show just oozes atmosphere from every poor.

1- The Genius
If this was indeed the final season it did not disappoint. Ever since I first learned about this show, I would drop whatever I was doing to watch it right away whenever a new episode would appear. It just insanely compelling the concept of the games, the exciting editing, the music cues. Just everything about this show makes me love it so much, its just incredible

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 8, 2015

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Gonna put CARTOONS *AND* WRESTLING on my top 10 list. I'm a rebel!

10.Game of Thrones - An extremely uneven season means I won't put it higher than ten, but the high points mean I have to put it in the top ten. Hardhome is top three best hours of TV I've watched this year. Pity the rest of the year was so up and down.

9. Humans-Also uneven, but with fewer lows and slightly lower highs.

8. Lucha Underground- I like NXT a lot as wrestling, but LU is the first wrestling show to appear to understand that it is supposed to be a TV show first and a merchandise seller/PPV seller second.

7. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
6. Veep
- Look, these are both hysterical. I don't think I can really go deeper than that.

5. The Americans- While it started the long and inevitable decline this season, it's still one of the few shows I carve out an hour for every week to watch live, no questions asked.

4. BoJack Horseman- This show should not be this funny or this good. And yet it is. HOLLYWOO!

3. Rick and Morty- I'm pretty sure this would have made my top ten even if all I'd watched were two minute clips on Youtube. Watching a full season makes it top three. Might be my favorite humorous cartoon since Futurama's original run.

2. Person of Interest- And I haven't even watched the last few episodes yet. If-Then-Else alone would put this in the top 5. Most years, this would be #1.

1. Hannibal- *slow, single tear falls down cheek* You were too good for this world, show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Please don't mock anyone for their lists, even (and especially) if they list anime

thanks

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Maybe it's just me but my top 10 best shows list would look a lot different than top 10 favorite. :shrug:

Also it's pretty much just you. I assume this is your first time submitting to this poll, right? Most people who submit lists haven't even watched ten tv shows and desperately scramble to list anything to fill out the list

It's part of why I'm so interested in this year's poll, to see if it bucks the trend due to the aforementioned, ahem, "peak TV" hopefully meaning that everyone who submits actually has watched a wide variety of TV so don't need to do the now-yearly "scramble to remember anything they watched to put at 9-10". just anecdotally i've heard that that's the case; especially in comparison a situation like last year, where it felt like a much smaller pool, this year the common complaint is instead of "i don't have enough tv to choose from" is "i have too much tv to choose from".

Also yeah, the top 10 being your "Favorite" over "Best" is intentional

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 8, 2015

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
10) Gotham - Show just went balls to the walls in the first episodes. Enjoying this season more than the 1st.

9) 12 Monkeys - I love me some time travel. All around cool show.

8) The Grinder - Really didn't know who Rob Lowe was before this (just the name) and he is so awesome in this. His delivery at times gets floors me. Grinder rests.

7) Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - Rachel Bloom is hot. And I love musicals. Songs are always so funny.

6) Sense8 - Best character development throughout a show. You really get a sense these people change and learn. Also beautifully shot. Locations are gorgeous.

5) Jessica Jones - Tennant as Kilgrove was perfect. Very dark show which I love the most of it.

4) Fargo - Awesome characters, plot, settings and acting. Pure joy from watching it.

3) Limitless - Going into this wasn't expecting it to be as awesome as it is. The lead is hilarious and the show mixes things up by using models, animations, video games to explain parts of the story.

2) Daredevil - Loved every episode. That one shot fight scene might be my favorite fight scene on TV. D'onofrio was sublime.

1) Person of Interest- Best show currently on TV. Episodes always exceed expectation. Can't wait for the next season.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
My top ten shows take me away to a different time and place. They're either so entertaining or so compelling that I wouldn't want to be doing anything else; surfing the web, working out, cooking; while watching them.

10. Survivor Second Chances--best season of Survivor ever, I'd say. Only people who'd played before were allowed back, based primarily on fan voting. Everyone knows how to play, some learn from their mistakes some don't, and the typical "voting alliances result in predictable eliminations" almost never happens. Blindside after #blindside. No duds in the final 10, and very few duds overall.

9. Broad City--These two stoner-ish girls almost make living in Manhattan look enjoyable. So much heart, so much absurdity, so many out-loud laughs. The love and total acceptance between the two bestie leads will have you embracing your own idiocy and loving your own idiot friends more.

8. Bloodline--Incredibly immersive, mature crime/family drama. You can feel the humidity of the Florida Keys dripping off your brow as you watch good seed/bad seed brothers duke it out over family property and pride. Ben Mendelsohn's Emmy nomination is possibly the most deserved of the year--he's that standout. So. loving. Good.

7. Manhattan--Once again this season, blends interpersonal drama and geeky nuclear physics perfectly to draw you in. So many great storylines, they can't do justice to them all in a 10-ep season. And this time, it's actually building to a bomb going off in the season finale. Hopefully.

6. Master of None--Friend/relationship comedy with heart. Ansari is just so goddamned likeable. And while the season's often about prejudice, he's not afraid to call himself out: "You assumed I was a racist just because I'm old. That's nice."

5. Another Period--Kind of a Downton Abbey spoof/absurdist social commentary. The two female leads absolutely crush it playing vapid, elitist dingbats with no talent and mindblowing senses of entitlement. Mr. Peepers(Michael Ian Black) also kills it as the butler who takes his job more seriously than the Downton guy, if that's even possible. Funniest moment? Helen Keller getting down and dirty? Doggie tea party?

4. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend--Fresh, unique, daring, almost always funny. Two musical numbers a week that are almost always spot-on funny. In "Sexy Getting Ready Song", a rapper, slinging "bitches" and "hos", pauses to survey Rebecca's pre-date make-up counter: “This is horrifying. Like, some nasty-rear end patriarchal bullshit. I gotta go apologize to some bitches. I’m forever changed by what I’ve just seen.” While Rachel background dances standing on the toilet lid in her Spanx. Just loving watch it, people. It's no Glee--it's way sharper and funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-BYK-f154

3. Mr. Robot--A show about technology should and could get boring, but this one doesn't--you want to see if one man can take down the world. Elliot's a little crazy and we just don't know exactly how, and that's why you tune in week after week. Not because of the plot, though the plot is definitely serviceable. You watch to watch Elliot slip down the rabbit hole. The atmosphere is consistently oppressive and bleak, and yet you feel optimism intertwined because of what Elliot MIGHT be able to accomplish.

2. The Knick--Takes place in a sketchy hospital in 1900, when SO much poo poo was happening--the first cars, electricity, massive corruption in politics, and amidst it all, the first real surgeries utilizing real advances in technology like the X-ray, electric cauterization, suction, and blood-typing. The chief surgeon battles his drug addiction, his number two battles racism in a non-tropey way, and their nurses, administrators, clergy and even orderlies battle their own personal weaknesses and the shittiness of 1900s society to try and save lives/make a buck/get laid. All set to a dystopian blend of sinister techno music. If you have an ounce of patience, this show is delicious, fulfilling and rarely predictable. It's one of those shows you want to watch at just the right time of day so the mood is perfect to match the bleak, creepy willies that the year 1900 serves up.

1. Fargo--Not a wasted word, scene, sound, song. Takes the old "mob family vs. mob family" trope and freshens it up by focusing more on the peripheral characters than on the bosses. Throws a corker in between the two families that causes the entire show to be actualized. The music makes you tap your feet, the violence is stark and necessary and doesn't feel gratuitous in context. You'll root for certain characters, oh, you betcha. If a friend asked me for one don't miss show this season, this'd have to be it.

Honorable Mention: Rectify, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Inside Amy Schumer, Person of Interest, Humans, Ash vs. Evil Dead, Jonathan Strange, Last Week Tonight, Luther, Nathan for You, Review, Rick and Morty, Elementary, Silicon Valley, UNReal, Better Call Saul, Jessica Jones, Game of Thrones, The Jinx, Penny Dreadful, Jordskott, Big Brother S17

Shows you should never be ashamed for stopping watching: Big Bang Theory, Hannibal, Homeland, Louie, Masters of Sex, Orphan Black, Scream Queens, American Horror Story, Suits, The Americans, The Walking Dead, True Detective, Wet Hot American Summer, Arrow, The Affair, Orange is the New Black, The Good Wife, Scandal, Whatever Pines, Blacklist,

Amusing enough I suppose, I mean, it's only 19 minutes: Grinder, Catastrophe, Difficult People, You're the Worst, Black-ish, Bojack, Fresh off the Boat, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Jane the Virgin, Last Man on Earth

eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh... : Empire, The Muppets, Narcos, Sense8

Shows I can't believe you assholes are convincing me to try again: The Leftovers, The 100

Was 2012/2013/2014 but still needs to be mentioned cause I just watched it and you should too: Les Revenants S1, Olive Kitteridge, Young Doctor's Notebook

Will wrap up in 2016 and most of you haven't watched this but should, it's so, so good: Rake (Australia)

Sorry I left these off, but I'm just gettin started on this season: Justified, iZombie, Limitless, Man in High Castle

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 8, 2015

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

10. The Jinx

I don't think there will ever be anything else like this. What The Jinx did is almost as much a part of television history as Budd Dwyer to be honest. This show is a documentary/true crime story looking into one Robert Durst, an eccentric millionaire that agreed to do the show while also probably being a murderer. Serial was a bigger news story but The Jinx accomplished everything Serial didn't.

9. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

This is season number ten and this is still one of the funniest shows on televion. I honestly think if you're doing a top ten list and like comedy and don't have Always Sunny on your list, you're doing something wrong. It may not be an improvement from s9 and it may lag behind s8 but it's still an incredible show in a season featuring an all-time top episode with Charlie Work.

8. iZombie

iZombie is one of those shows with clever dialogue that mixes the procedural with the serial story. It's sort of the successor to Veronica Mars, with the same showrunner, but it leans a bit heavy into its gimmick, and doesn't have the same incredible season-long mysteries as that show did. What it has instead is a fun new weekly personality of the lead, Liv, to try on, plus great villains and some fun soap sort of drama.

7. Game of Thrones

There was a lot to complain about this season, most notably the Dorne arc, which was almost a complete misfire. however, there's no bigger story and no bigger spectacle on TV, probably ever, than what this show offers, and five seasons in, not only are we quite invested but we also have a pretty enormous world and mythology at our disposal. An emotional Cersei scene and a brilliant battle episode also lift this season.

6. Veep

Veep is an extremely well-written and acted comedy, and this season is probably an improvement on last year. The season-long arc of Selina finding herself in the presidential role while also running for the job gave them lots of material to mine.

5. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

I think this was the best comedy of the year. It's a Tina Fey show, like 30 Rock, and the humor is similar, but what that means also is that the humor is a mile a minute nonstop jokes like no other show on TV. There's a lot of cartoonish characters on this show, and most of them are delightful (with the exception of Kimmy's stepfather), but the greatest character of them all is Kimmy herself. She's coming from a really dark place at the start of the series, but is nevertheless relentlessly upbeat & positive, but also strong and, of course, unbreakable. Ellie Kemper is perfect & adorable & has an elastic face in the role.

4. Mad Men

The final season if an iconic show. This has consistently been either the best or one of the best shows on the air since it first premiered 8 years ago, and I'm going to miss it. The timing of this season may have been wrong for this poll, and if I'm honest, the show got somewhat long in the tooth in its later years, but this final season brought home the Don Draper story in a memorable and satisfying way.

3. The Genius

This is a Korean show with a format similar to that of Survivor (see below), with the extra wrinkle that each elimination is determined simply by a voting strategy, but by the results of a main match and a death match, both of which usually are different types of social strategic games. This is a show that demands your full attention, as the games involved can be quite complex, but are almost fun and interesting. The editing also usually helps add to the shocks and twists and fun of the game. This season was possibly the last one, and it went out in great form. This is the one show in the reality competition format that I think actually outdoes Survivor, and this potential final season had a fantastic cast and a fantastic story. This year, though, possibly because a great season of Survivor just wrapped tonight, I'm going to give the nudge to that show.

2. Survivor

A potentially good Worlds Apart season was rife with people either misogynistic or just obnoxious, which really hindered my enjoyment. However, Cambodia more than makes up for that by being one of the most epic seasons of all time. Look, Survivor always deserves a spot near the top of any annual rankings. It is a timeless format, because the suspense and twists and turns you get each season are not scripted, but are real outcomes determined by players all looking after their individual interests. As far as unscripted TV goes, it's almost like watching sports, where nobody knows if that last shot is going in or whether it's going to rattle off the rim, but what takes it to the next level is the strategy involved. It's not always 11th dimensional chess, but what it does do is give you something to think about after every single episode. It's hard to think of any TV show that exercises your brain more (if you're into it), as after each episode, you can analyze every possible move available, and then try to think ahead to each subsequent move available, and so on. Even if you're used to just watching prestige dramas or whatever, I recommend checking out a good season of Survivor.

1. The Leftovers

It's funny in hindsight, but for the first 40 minutes of the s2 opener, I was panicking, because I thought it was going to be a full reboot, and all the characters I'd gotten invested in during s1 were going to be gone. That wasn't the case. Instead, we got a season that built on s1 but improved on it in almost every respect. If you haven't seen this show, it's about how 2% of the world's population disappeared one day, while the other 98% was left behind. As a result, the world pretty much continues as normal, except almost everyone now has some sort of enormous emotional or psychological baggage. There are additional ambiguously supernatural elements, but it's not a mystery show. We're not going to find out where that 2% went. Instead we just watch the aftermath, and what we got in s2 was one of the most meticulously plotted perfectly accomplished television seasons that's ever been produced. The story is emotional, tight, and awe-inspiring. Justin Theroux does constant Farrel In Bruges eyebrow emoting and Carrie Coon has one of the most sympathetic faces I've ever seen.

Honorable mentions: Hannibal (lost me with the Red Dragon arc), Crime Scene, Parks & Rec, Brooklyn 99 (dropped from list just recently), Rick and Morty (very creative, it's a show where sci-fi = magic and Total Rickall was their best ever episode, but more weak episodes than I'd like), Review s2, Saul I guess

Hope you all think i have good taste, so I can be a good taste guy in the 'Veev. I haven't seen Fargo

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 17, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

Hope you all think i have good taste, so I can be a good taste guy in the 'Veev. I haven't seen Fargo
If I remain the only person who voted for Evil Dead at the end of this you jerks are all dead to me. :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Illinois Smith posted:

If I remain the only person who voted for Evil Dead at the end of this you jerks are all dead to me. :colbert:

AvED seems like more of a binge show for me, which means I didn't even consider it (due to the show ending in 2016) sadly.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Please don't mock anyone for their lists, even (and especially) if they list anime

Silently judging them is still okay, though, right?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
10. Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp- Bizarre enough to keep me entertained and short enough not to become grating. This was just the perfect amount of absurdity to hit all the right notes for me.
9. The Carbonaro Effect- I have a soft spot for Carbonaro because I met him before he had his own show and he was a really nice guy. I like trying to figure out his methods, even if that can be figuring out what he's not showing with the camera.
8. Game of Thrones- Still good but because its in its fifth season it lost some of the novelty. Now its just a good show with occasional great moments.
7. Bojack Horseman- I just started watching this a few weeks ago, and its made me laugh a bunch. Not something I would have guessed based on the name and premise, but it came highly recommended and now I know why.
6. Brooklyn Nine Nine- Still funny, and I basically love the entire cast and their characters. For some reason the goofiness is right up my alley.
5. Silicon Valley- As an amateur programmer I found myself rooting for the group of characters to succeed more than I probably should considering its a comedy rather than a drama.
4. Master of None- A dramedy with fantastic episodes that hit the rote note between being observational humor and slices of what feel like someone's real life. The opening of the Parents episode was amazing.
3. The Genius- Even though it had a few outcomes along the way that didn't live up to my expectations, the all star season of my favorite game show delivered big in many aspects.
2. Better Call Saul- It caught me completely off guard. I expected a less serialized and more comedic comedy with Breaking Bad characters. Instead I just got more Breaking Bad, which was awesome.
1. Rick and Morty- The perfect animated show. A mix of really clever scifi premises that go in directions I wouldn't expect and dark humor that makes me laugh and sometimes uncomfortable.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm redoing my list after some thought, is there a masterlist of shows that aired this year?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
10. Playing House

Exactly my kind of humor, has me laughing out loud every single episode.

9. The Grinder

The best new show of the fall season and the smartest and funniest sitcom on network TV.

8. Another Period

Hilarious, incredible production unlike anything else on television.

7. Nathan For You

Fielder's singular mind operates on a wholly unique plane of creativity.

6. Outlander

Brilliant fantasy drama with plots moving at a breakneck pace, lavish production design and sensational cinematography. Starz's true magnum opus.

5. South Park

The greatest satire ever made and no show in the history of the medium has ever has such a sustained high-quality run for 19 incredible years.

4. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

The most hysterical show of the year and a worthy 8th season of 30 Rock.

3. Rectify

Still the most beautiful, gripping and affecting drama on TV, for three years straight now.

2. Bojack Horseman

No show offers more honest and accurate insights into the human condition.

1. Rick and Morty

The most mind-expanding show of our time. Truly transcendent.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 9, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ash vs Evil Dead should be in 10th, but it's Strike backs final season, so balls to it.

10. Strike Back

Finale season deserved a berth, satisfying end to an amazingly ridiculous action show. Gunfights, tits, one liners, swearing, multicam. It's a gun nut's dream, Buddy.

9. Star Wars Rebels

This season has been great, Vader has shown up. The story is getting a hell of a lot more meta these days. I loving love Ezra and Chopper team ups.

8 Rick & Morty
Continues to be the funniest comedy on TV. Deserves everything said about it, good or bad.

7. Z Nation
This season has been a little hit and miss, but over all it still deserves a spot.

6. The 100
Genghis Clarke is the hizzy. Awesome show. Motherfuckers die, and die often. Brutal season, absolute blood bath.

5. Black Sails
Coat wears the man. This show does a lot of peoples heads in, because it's 80% dialogue and 10% action and 10% forearms. But the action is movie level poo poo, everyone crushes it. It's criminally underrated.

4. Agent's of S.H.E.I.L.D
Took a massive leap forward this year in almost ever way. Needs more Patton Oswalt though....

3. Banshee
Angriest man on the planet vs the World's Biggest Indian vs the Angriest Marine who ever lived. Many, many, many people killed. Siege episode is one of the finest things on TV all year... bar none.

2. Jessica Jones
Loved everything about it, Marvel You've done it again.

1. Mr. Robot
Best written show all year, probably the best acting, some truly head loving moments. Instant love for me.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 9, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

everyone up to rocksicles should be on the second post. if you're not on the list one of two things happened: 1) you somehow didn't follow the rules, or, far more likely, 2) i hosed up. Check to make sure you're on that second post and IF YOU ARE remember that if you edit your list you edit the post that that LINKS to

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Did anone else forget about Mad Men ending this year? Because I sure did, but I can't be bothered to edit my list.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

Did anone else forget about Mad Men ending this year? Because I sure did, but I can't be bothered to edit my list.

I did not think it was a particularly strong season even if the actual ending was good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We have now officially had over half the number of entries from last year and the thread is only a few days old! :toot:

Spread the word in threads for the shows you love, people. Let's make participation this year the best it's ever been :woop:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Just as a clarification, Rarity and I talked it over and each version of The Late Show - whether with David Letterman or with Stephen Colbert - is considered its own separate show. So, yes, that means that if you list The Late Show on your top ten list, you need to clarify which version you're talking about by adding the correct subtitle. And, yes, that means that you could in theory list both versions of The Late Show on your top ten. And, to make explicitly clear, that means that if you want to recognize both shows on your top ten you have to separate them into different entries on the same list- "The Late Show with David Letterman/Stephen Colbert" would break the "Two shows in one entry" rule

All those aformentioned rules also apply to The Daily Shows, either with Jon Stewart or with Trevor Noah. These are the only four shows to which this exception applies - for example, Survivor: Worlds Apart is not considered a different show than Survivor: Cambodia - Second Chance. They are both seasons of Survivor.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I have my top three shows locked in, but unsure on the order. Waiting to see how Fargo finishes up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

Survivor: Worlds Apart is not considered a different show than Survivor: Cambodia - Second Chance. They are both seasons of Survivor.

This could not be further from the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Illinois Smith posted:

drat, I forgot. I'd go back and add it but I guess me forgetting says I shouldn't

• Locked thread