Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

taser rates posted:

i played a truncated game (2 rounds) of wh: diskwars over the weekend. cool as hell game, but I probably won't be able to play it enough to get good at it. also it's kind of hilarious when you get a huge pileup on a single spot and tokens keep sliding off the hill of disks.

1. Pick Orcs.
2. Get Impact cavalry.
3. Let the other guy git gud.

Alternatively, you can also milk the Dwarven cannon + 3 engineers for all it's worth before others wise up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Sometimes I feel like making a Diskwars effortthread, but it'd be deader than this loving game, so for now I'm content just shitposting itt until rutibex buys fields of fire (gotta sxoir ebay/bgg market, I'm afraid Ruti).

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I played Argent for the first time on New Year's Eve, and whilst everyone enjoyed it a common complaint was that it was very hard to tell who owned which mages when they were on the board. Has anyone come up with an effective solution to this? It seems like painting the bases might work, but there aren't enough for all 6 colours to have 7 bases each.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lichtenstein posted:

Sometimes I feel like making a Diskwars effortthread, but it'd be deader than this loving game, so for now I'm content just shitposting itt until rutibex buys fields of fire (gotta sxoir ebay/bgg market, I'm afraid Ruti).

I'm too cheap and paranoid to buy vintage games on eBay. I'll likely just print my own once I get home and back to the university print shop. it's a lot of tokens, but I have become pretty good a home made tokens

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Rex is a pretty cool rear end in a top hat simulator. I was concerned about it being a bit oldschool ameritrash under all the ancient Dune fame, but my fears were generally wrong. One thing I didn't like was the Arkham Horror-style map which I neither particularly like aesthetically nor is it perfect in terms of conveying information. The retheming also creaks at times, but nobody really cares about boardgame metaplots (other than the authors, who prepared a lage of fluff text for each faction and some sort of multi-page war story about their bored game).

Surprisingly, even normies liked it.

PS. It has a single token made of 5 starship minis on stands. It is the FFGiest thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Broken Loose posted:

yeah, and some people like donald trump

but nobody likes the donald trump board game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mr.capps posted:

but nobody likes the donald trump board game

eminent domain is pretty great though?

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

i apparently got a shitload of rules wrong with mad king ludwig. gently caress!

did you figure everything out? did people like it? did you take some piccies of your castles? tell me everything

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

1. Pick Orcs.
2. Get Impact cavalry.
3. Let the other guy git gud.

Alternatively, you can also milk the Dwarven cannon + 3 engineers for all it's worth before others wise up to it.

Yea, i just grabbed two of the starter army builds off of Sniper Troll for that game, but right after we finished I was already starting to run through army possibilities in my head.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I played Gravwell with some friends around Christmas time, that was really fun. It's fairly simple--you play as ships and move on a single track and it's all about just who gets to the end--but the cool parts are:
  • You take your turns simultaneously, moving based on cards that you play instead of die rolls.
  • All the cards move you based on the nearest ship. Green cards move you away from the nearest ship; purple ones move you towards the nearest ship; blue ones move all other ships X number of spaces towards you.
  • Cards resolve in alphabetical order. If you, say, played a "move 10 spaces towards the nearest ship" card and the nearest ship was ahead of you, but then someone else played a card that resolved before yours that puts their ship both behind you and closer than the one ahead of you, you move 10 spaces backwards instead!
So things get pretty chaotic and it's a ton of fun. I recommend it for a fast-paced game for quick plays. It's well-paced because it's over pretty quick so it never gets repetitive.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Aston posted:

I played Argent for the first time on New Year's Eve, and whilst everyone enjoyed it a common complaint was that it was very hard to tell who owned which mages when they were on the board. Has anyone come up with an effective solution to this? It seems like painting the bases might work, but there aren't enough for all 6 colours to have 7 bases each.

If you buy the Mancers expansion, there are exactly enough for 7 bases in each of 7 colors. Of course, you have to like the game enough to invest in the expansion and the paint. And it can still get a little awkward with the handful of effects that can let you temporarily break the seven mage cap (like the Archmage's Apprentice or the Golem Lab).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

did you figure everything out? did people like it? did you take some piccies of your castles? tell me everything

i left it a friend's house because her and her husband liked it so much, and they did some 2p, where they figured out a few rules i got wrong (mostly scoring stuff relating to adjacent rooms and underground rooms). long story short is that everyone i've played it with has really enjoyed it. i think it fits a lot of niches that we haven't played for a while: mainly economy, and crunchier strategy (i realize that ludwig isn't super complicated, but this group is mainly into social and light stuff).

the last game i played was a super tense squeaker, where i was leading up to scoring money, at which point my opponent inched ahead by a single point.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got machi koro and VOTK expansion in a secret santa gift exchange, so my boardgame collection is now very sizable. i've heard bad things about machi, but i'm still excited to play it. VOTK expansion is way cooler though, since now i can seat more people w/ it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Machi Koro is a nice lil 20 min no brainer game with cute art I dunno why people hate it so much

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

i left it a friend's house because her and her husband liked it so much, and they did some 2p, where they figured out a few rules i got wrong (mostly scoring stuff relating to adjacent rooms and underground rooms). long story short is that everyone i've played it with has really enjoyed it. i think it fits a lot of niches that we haven't played for a while: mainly economy, and crunchier strategy (i realize that ludwig isn't super complicated, but this group is mainly into social and light stuff).

the last game i played was a super tense squeaker, where i was leading up to scoring money, at which point my opponent inched ahead by a single point.

yeah i find it is often a pretty close score, even in 4 player games. also it seems like one person always immediately invests in underground rooms when i have played. they are really a big opportunity, but they require a lot of attention too.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
one thing i'm not 100% on from the rules: do staircases / hallways complete an exit of a room? and does completing both ends of a staircase give you the corridor bonus?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

sector_corrector posted:

one thing i'm not 100% on from the rules: do staircases / hallways complete an exit of a room? and does completing both ends of a staircase give you the corridor bonus?

Yes and yes, I can't see why you'd think other wise corridors are just another room type like any other.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rumda posted:

Yes and yes

good, that's how i interpreted the rules the first time, and had been playing

edit: because they come from a fixed supply instead of from the market row. people seemed to think that might change the rules with them. also the fact that a hallway and a stairway aren't typically 'rooms' as we think of them, in comparison to the corridors that show up in the row (like great hall).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Machi Koro is a nice lil 20 min no brainer game with cute art I dunno why people hate it so much

Don't play it more than once in a row because it gets pretty redundant after like 10 plays tho. And the expansion(s) makes it a bloated market row game. If they had another way to inject game to game variety into the core game it would be a good deal better.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

with the expansion my first game lasted an hour and I was put in a situation where no matter my roll, I would lose money so I quit the game half way through, it was the first time I ever quit a game half way through

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tekopo posted:

with the expansion my first game lasted an hour and I was put in a situation where no matter my roll, I would lose money so I quit the game half way through, it was the first time I ever quit a game half way through

yeah I played one game of the expansion then was like "yeah I don't really like this new formula I am going to sit this next one out", so I went into the front room and started watching a movie that was like 20 minutes in. I was all "oh I love this movie I hope it gets to [my favorite part] before they call me back in". Anyway, the movie ended and I went back into the other room to see them all looking miserable

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
good to know that the expansion makes the game actively worse, lol

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I really don't like to sit around rolling dice to see if I get to do anything on my turn or not.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Aston posted:

We just rotated the figures on the board so that the flag faced the player that owned it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Yesterday I had a going-away party to mourn my passing beyond the Texas border. Got hosed up on Green Spot whiskey and played Settlers of Catan, Pandemic, and Love Letter a whole bunch while watching Airplane!, The Three Amigos, and Stripes. Fell asleep on my friend's couch with a big fat smelly golden retriever. Great goddamn night. Great games.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
please don't loving respond to zaphod in the other thread, it'll just encourage him to post there, and that man is a human cancer

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

e: ehh who cares, game on

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 5, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
every time he posts a loving emoticon i want to reach through the screen and punch him

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i think its nice that he is able to enjoy such a wide variety of beautiful games

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

e: You know what .. I love games

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 5, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

please don't loving respond to zaphod in the other thread, it'll just encourage him to post there, and that man is a human cancer

I dunno, I like the cut of his gib. he seems like a real straight shooter to me, maybe just dropping one to many truth bombs for the hivemind to handle

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

shut up about the other thread

baseball highlights is really good and simple, buy it, play it

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

shut up about the other thread

baseball highlights is really good and simple, buy it, play it

have you played with any of the expansions yet? I just have the expansions that came with the original base game, was curious about the new ones

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I have two extra teams, cyborg pitchers, rally cap and robot hitters

I haven't tried any of them because I've been playing with my dad and I don't want to add to the complexity, but they seem easy enough

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if Mike Fitzgerald's other games are good. He is pretty awesome sounding on Ludology, sounds like Frank Costanza mashed together with a baseball radio guy

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Baseball highlights looks pretty neat. I wish I'd known about it when I was working with this one guy who would bore me to tears talking about baseball and I'd in return bore him to tears by talking about board games.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like baseball and boardgames, so it seems like a natural choice. i might try to play it at the board game cafe next time i'm there to check it out.

i was at the thrift shop today and did my usual sweep of the board game aisle. i've never found anything i'd actually want to play there, and this is no exception. i came close to getting a deck of tarot cards just to use as components for prototyping, but decided against it. otherwise it was all family game night trash.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

i like baseball and boardgames, so it seems like a natural choice. i might try to play it at the board game cafe next time i'm there to check it out.

i was at the thrift shop today and did my usual sweep of the board game aisle. i've never found anything i'd actually want to play there, and this is no exception. i came close to getting a deck of tarot cards just to use as components for prototyping, but decided against it. otherwise it was all family game night trash.

don't give up on the thrift shops, 9 times out of 10 you will only find monoply and trivial pursuit, but on a few occasions I have found stuff like Ticket to Ride, cool 70s abstract strategy games, and a few ancient Avalon hill games, all for $5 a piece

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

don't give up on the thrift shops, 9 times out of 10 you will only find monoply and trivial pursuit, but on a few occasions I have found stuff like Ticket to Ride, cool 70s abstract strategy games, and a few ancient Avalon hill games, all for $5 a piece

the closest i've gotten to good finds are: weird-rear end vertical scrabble from the 50s, a copy of cathedral which is boring and probably solved but still a nostalgic favorite, and a two player starter pack for legend of the five rings. i didn't buy the last one and sort of regret it, because it might've been interesting to play around with a first gen CCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i could just start making a wall of cranium , i guess.

• Locked thread