Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

wow, is it fascism yet, where you been

also I'm still recreating wwii before you ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i went to a holiday party, and the guy who was hosting had his own wargame room with probably 500 games or so. i only recognized a few acres of snow by name :pwn:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm giving out 4 copies of Codenames and 1 copy of Pandemic Legacy as xmas gifts

e: word on the grapevine is i'm getting a game about "time"

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

my condolences

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm giving out 4 copies of Codenames and 1 copy of Pandemic Legacy as xmas gifts

Enjoy your new copy of Tragedy Lo-.. oh wait. No that's probably not it, is it? Condolences.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My post was exactly the same thing which is unacceptable to me. Goodbye.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my brother basically just told me i'm getting space alert because he wanted to make sure i didn't have it already, so i'm psyched. i also asked for mysterium.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Puzzle Strike is on Steam; iOS port "in a few weeks".

Unguided posted:

Any Go players on here? I got addicted to the game back when goons were playing Age of Wushu.
It is the tradition of Go, the most traditional traditional game, to have its thread in Ask/Tell.
(btw I'm sad that Age of Wushu was before my time, it looked like fun)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Xom posted:

:vince:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xom posted:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress, i said no new game purchases until march...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sector_corrector posted:

my brother basically just told me i'm getting space alert because he wanted to make sure i didn't have it already, so i'm psyched. i also asked for mysterium.

congrats, space alert is like the best game that i've only played once in the past few years :(

mysterium is fun though i can see why people were complaining about the end game, i wonder if that's fixable

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I just got legendary predator as an early xmas present and I love legendary so I'm pretty excited! also got that wooden insert thing you can buy to organize boxes better for legendary: alien edition cause holy poo poo thats an awful box

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

got eminent domain for christmas!

(also a game with horrible storage)

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tragedy looper has the worst storage solution of any of my games, it's just the box full of a chunky diarrhea of tokens and manuals and cards and the board slabs are all separate pieces too.

EmDo isn't bad to store if you both get Escalation (you must) and sleeve all the cards (you ought) because then the full stack of cards and card tiles is a very comfortable box width. the market row board thing still lies weird on top but whatever. get Escalation.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

planning on it as soon as it reprints, if for no other reason than to make the different kinds of space ships actually do different things.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

my favorite board game is probably still castles of mad king ludwig because it is just an exquisite time where there are some decently complex scoring mechanics going on behind a really pleasant and easy to teach exterior. the physical act of constructing the castle is like a reward unto itself, and i feel like you basically can see bits of a person's personality in how they construct their castles and the strats they go for. I also think it encourages players to learn and understand everything in a really natural way by having everyone take turns being the auctioneer/masterbuilder. I will often bring like 5 board games with me when i go up north with friends to my family cottage and we'll only play castles or play it significantly more than other games. i heard theres like a polish version or something with significantly nicer art but i never looked.

i still think 7 wonders is pretty good, but some of the expansions seem lovely.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

got eminent domain for christmas!

(also a game with horrible storage)

Hell yeah!

My preorder of catacombs finally shipped. Pictomania was tied up with it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

all of my board game gifts have been from me, to me

no one knows me as well as I do

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i got patchistory

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I brought some games to my inlaws and realized that you aren't playing poo poo when there is a 5yo and 2yo running around. Hell, I can't even play with my phone without them trying to wrestle me to the ground and forcing me to play angry birds.

I got the 5yo loopin chewie and he just slams the paddle with all of his force knocking tokens and crap everywhere so we can't even play that.

Grim visions of the future for me and Mrs. fosbourne haha. I hope we end up with psycho bad rear end gamer kids

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tekopo posted:

all of my board game gifts have been from me, to me

no one knows me as well as I do
my girlfriend got me Twilight Struggle for xmas, so i guess that's some win.

I got Agricola for her last xmas but we only finally got around to playing it for the first time yesterday and it was pretty fun. Hopefully TS won't take as long to finally play.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

my favorite board game is probably still castles of mad king ludwig because it is just an exquisite time where there are some decently complex scoring mechanics going on behind a really pleasant and easy to teach exterior. the physical act of constructing the castle is like a reward unto itself, and i feel like you basically can see bits of a person's personality in how they construct their castles and the strats they go for. I also think it encourages players to learn and understand everything in a really natural way by having everyone take turns being the auctioneer/masterbuilder. I will often bring like 5 board games with me when i go up north with friends to my family cottage and we'll only play castles or play it significantly more than other games. i heard theres like a polish version or something with significantly nicer art but i never looked.

i still think 7 wonders is pretty good, but some of the expansions seem lovely.

that sounds good. I think i'll set a camelcamelcamel notification for it. thanks fellow imp

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The Indines games are good. They are a board/card game version of a fighting video game. Each turn, both players secretly play two cards that get combined into one attack, then simultaneously flip them and act out the results.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Machai posted:

The Indines games are good. They are a board/card game version of a fighting video game. Each turn, both players secretly play two cards that get combined into one attack, then simultaneously flip them and act out the results.

each character is also really different and has their own cool mechanics. its kinda like cosmic encounter in that way, lots of neat interacting systems.

the box is a loving disaster though.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

the box is a loving disaster though.

almost every character fits neatly into a cassette tape case

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Machai posted:

BattleCON: Nouns of Indines has its own thread in TradGames, go look.

It's a really good game, one I am a huge fan of. It also fails to mimic actual fightan games in any way other than the most superficial. But it's the best Anime Punch-Em-Up Simulator you can buy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yomi is good if you don't mind animes

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Tekopo posted:

Yomi is good if you don't mind animes

BattleCON Pros: Zero RNG, but not perfect information. Deep interesting counter play. Excellent value for money. Women in reasonable outfits, by cosplay standards.

BattleCON Cons: Technical writing/formatting is a joke. Box inserts designed by a man with neither hands nor eyes.

Yomi Pros: Super balanced, rewarding depth of you put in the time.

Yomi Cons: Costs >$200 for a full set. Hard for new players to get a feel for. Enough anime tiddy to make you feel real awkward playing it in public.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yomi is absolutely a game that is completely impossible to play with newbies if you are experienced at all because newbies don't understand the reasoning behind moves and it is infuriating, but it's so loving rewarding once you play someone that 'gets' their character

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

just played my first game of Pandemic Legacy with a group of people who aint never played no pandemic before. I wanted to start off 'pure' so i didn't do any kind of quarterbacking and we got wasted by like turn 5 lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

Yomi is absolutely a game that is completely impossible to play with newbies if you are experienced at all because newbies don't understand the reasoning behind moves and it is infuriating, but it's so loving rewarding once you play someone that 'gets' their character

this makes it an accurate simulation of street fighter

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Rutibex posted:

this makes it an accurate simulation of street fighter

if that's all it takes then Netrunner might be fightgame of the year.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
seriously, that's loving brilliant and the garakest thing i've ever seen in a game. i love it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Kemet is still probably one of the best games. i'm gonna buy the expansion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm going to be playing some board games today, all day

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
my dad bought me a tragedy looper as a late surprise holiday present, and yesterday we got together with some friends to play it for the first time.

loop one day one: key person murdered by serial killer, start over. loop two day one: key person murdered by killer [location had 3 other characters], start over. on loop three, we managed to survive the first day, but then ran out of real-life time and everyone had to go home.

technically, this means we did not trigger any of the loss conditions on the third loop, which is a sort of win!

hell of a game.

e: spoilered per request

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 29, 2015

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Might wanna spoiler that even though you didn't specify which scenario you played. I think most people will (correctly?) assume you played scenario 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Scyther posted:

Might wanna spoiler that even though you didn't specify which scenario you played. I think most people will (correctly?) assume you played scenario 1

sorry, good point. it was 'first steps' scenario 1, yeah.

• Locked thread