Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

The first microscene I'd like to spotlight is Japanese sludge metal. You all probably know Boris, but the scene runs further than that.

Take the famously reclusive Corrupted, who write hour-plus dirges evoking atmospheres of nuclear wastelands. Or the guys from Birushanah, who blend Japanese folk and progressive songwriting with their crushing riffs, and manage to not seem gimmicky at all - as with their more tribally-oriented fellows over at Ryokuchi.

There's also this scathing EP by a band who released nothing else - they really didn't need to since I doubt they'd ever be able to put out anything as abrasive and hateful as this again. A lot of the more extreme and unusual bands I've found from Japan tend to have very small discographies, really...

Speaking of Birushanah and Tetsuo: ISO, the main dude behind both bands also had another band called Cavo. Cavo's sound was a mixture of the Japanese folk influences of Birushanah and the bleak, vast soundscapes of Tetsuo. There's basically no info on Cavo online and they only put out 1 EP and 1 full-length, which you can listen to on russian facebook: http://vk.com/wall-26849781_10121. About half the tracks are folky sludge metal and half are really weird acoustic songs that sound like recordings of tribal rituals. It's a bizarre mix that somehow works incredibly well, definitely recommended listening for any fan of japanese sludge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread