Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

I kinda want to discover some more early 00's style pop-punk like Puffy, The Pillows, and BEAT Crusaders. I know of Shonen Knife but don't know where to start there

Might as well go on and do a post since I had a list of stuff which I consider cool which hasn't been mentioned yet. Warning: this post is a clusterfuck of genres.

The Pillows are an alternative rock group formed in 89. As of 2016 they've released like 20 full albums and lord knows how many singles. Here's a few of their old songs/albums because I stopped following them in like 2004 or so and thus haven't heard their last decade-plus of albums. Either way it's solid stuff. Their vocalist, Sawao Yamanaka has a label (Delicious label) which I'm going to reference directly below.

Noodles are basically a three (formerly four) piece girl band that are on Delicious label, also have around two decades worth of stuff. They do shows with the Pillows a lot, as well as Yoko (the lead singer) and Sawao doing a lot of those one man live shows together. Anyways here's some of their old stuff. They have a lot of other great songs that you will never track down without buying their albums off like Yahoo! auctions but I can help if you get into them and have trouble finding stuff.

Totally unrelated:
Number Girl should have had more than a passing mention a couple of pages ago because they are very good and influenced a lot of later indies/post-rock/whatever groups. To quote Wikipedia: "Number Girl played fast, guitar-driven rock similar to the Pixies, Sonic Youth, and Hüsker Dü. ". Just hit these albums and see if you dig it or not. I know someone somewhere compared their sound to Mass of Fermenting Dregs and I can sort of see that in some places. If you click on one band in this post, it should be Number Girl.

If you liked Number Girl then check out Zazen Boys as well which is a side project of their vocalist/guitarist with a more math rock edge.

Other awesome stuff:
Guitar Wolf. You want awesome garage rock, you get awesome garage rock. This stuff rules. They managed to pump out two hokey sci-fi feature-length movies and you should totally check those out if you get the chance.

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant. Garage rock, self-described in an interview once as "motorcycle rock". Unsurprisingly, they have a bunch of songs about motorcycles. Pretty heavy and pretty awesome.

And to cap it off in the most Japanese way possible, you can't have a Japanese music thread without talking about enka, so here's some enka I legit like: Yoshi Ikuzo. Dude rules. Tsugari Heiya, Musume ni, Youta, Yukiguni. If you can get past the sometimes-heavy Aomoriben it's pretty great. Maegawa Kiyoshi is pretty good too.

Satorr posted:

Shiina Ringo is one of the greatest pop artists ever.

Quoting this because it's true.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread