Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Shiina Ringo is one of the greatest pop artists ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
What Japanese artists have you folks seen live?

Living in the U.S. I haven't seen a ton, and those I have seen are pretty typical. But I'm lucky enough to be in an often-toured city and within driving distance of another, so I can't complain.

Polysics x1
Envy x1
Mono x1
Shonen Knife x2
Acid Mothers Temple x2
Boris x4
Melt-Banana x5

I missed out on Buffalo Daughter twice, but in very different ways. One time, I was going to see them with loving Yellow Magic Orchestra but I had poo poo come up that I could not ignore so I had to ditch my ticket. The other time, they were billed to open for Blonde Redhead. In line at the show there was word going around that something with their passports got hosed up so they were missing a few dates and some other band was going to open, but nobody knew who. Well, a band takes the stage and hey it's The Mars Volta. It was at a tiny hole-in-the-wall venue with low ceilings about six or seven months before De-Loused came out.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Ichiko Aoba is great music for spacing out and lying around in the sun on a nice day.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

ElNarez posted:

hey japanese music thread, what's a thing you've discovered in 2016 that you think is cool and good?

my pick is Seiko Oomori, a singer-songwriter doing exprimental idol-pop with a punk-ish kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw8YvmpxjZc

Definitely Seiko Oomori. I had heard of her before but for whatever reason just never got around to checking her out. Turned out that Tokyo Black Hole is just too good of an album to ignore. Easily one of the best albums of the year. Now I've been digging around the rest of her catalog.

She's a powerhouse. Incredible songwriter. It's hard not to love that she's used the idol image as a masquerade costume for her subversive tendencies. Her general feistiness resembles the spirit of early Ringo and Togawa (as well as recent Togawa, surprisingly...what an unexpected zombie comeback year for her).

She's already back in the studio, too. loving relentless. No word on what it's for, though.

Also made a last minute discovery of BPM15Q at the very end of December. They're a blast.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Seeing Melt-Banana live should be a requirement as a human being if they play within 20 miles of you.

• Locked thread