Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What is similar to T-SQUARE and Casiopea? That is a distinctly Japanese jazz-fusion sound that I can't really find replicated elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Gamma Nerd posted:

I've been very into J-fusion recently, so let's see if any of these click. You might want to look more into City Pop than the fusion scene, though - most of the J-fusion I like is the sort that tends towards prog.

This is my favorite Japanese fusion album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY266lRU578

It's very spacy, the synth tones are gorgeous, and the closing track is a hypnotic slow-burner that gives me serious Magma vibes.

Space Circus deliver serious fire on both of their albums.

Kenso are basically the Japanese Camel, and they're one of Japan's best prog bands. Not all of their stuff is jazzy, though. Yume no Oka is the best I've heard from them, and also the jazziest.

Trix should be an obvious choice since they have members of both Casiopea and T-Square. Good band. Pyramid have T-Square's keyboardist and they're pretty good.

Some more thoughts:

NOA
Lu7 (on the smoother side of prog-fusion - the composer also worked on the Mega Man Zero soundtracks)
Side Steps
Toshiki Kadomatsu is THE guy if you want stuff on the more city pop side of J-fusion. Makoto Mastushita ain't half bad either.

Thanks, some of these are what I"m looking for. I guess I should've clarified that I know what makes T-SQUARE work--it's the excessive EWI use and the indulgent 90s SEGA guitar solos.

• Locked thread