Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Hello, Japanese music thread! I've been really into Jun Togawa recently so I figured I'd share some of her stuff. Hers is a name you hear a lot when you like Japanese new wave and weirdo pop, but I never really looked into her until I heard her guest vocals on Vampilia's "The Divine Move." (Video is artsy-nsfw.)

Jun Togawa began performing in the 80s ostensibly as an idol singer, but she's never really fit that mould. Her vocal range spans from a childish idol voice to a proto-Shiina Ringo rasp to operatic exaggeration, often all in the same song; her lyrics display a cynicism and preoccupation with existential literature that don't really play in idol Peoria.

Her most famous song is probably "Suki Suki Daisuki," which has been covered several times. My favorite cover of it was recorded by BiSkaidan, a collaboration between anti-idol idol group BiS (who also appeared on "The Divine Move") and noise band Hijokaidan. Hijokaidan also recorded the song with Togawa herself, as Togawa Kaidan, incidentally.

She's also fronted several bands, including Yapoos and Guernica. Yapoos is anthemic 80s-style pop, very much in a Susumu Hirasawa vein (in fact he's collaborated with Yapoos/Togawa quite frequently - Here he is performing two of my favorite Yapoos songs with them). Guernica is Showa As gently caress retro pop that'll teach you a bunch of outdated kana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Thanks for the recs/links!

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Finally, we have Apogee and Perigee: Chojiku Korodasutan Ryokoki. Apparently, this was supposed to be a soundtrack album to a musical that told the story of the titular robots, although the musical was never produced. It features Jun Togawa, Miharu Koshi, Testpattern, Hosono himself, and the most melodramatic hard rock song in the history of humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbdI39u2tms

This is incredible and I'll have to see if my local rental place has a copy. It's weird, for the most part I've listened to less Japanese music since actually moving to Japan than I did when I was in school. I'm diving back in now that I've gone from Tsutaya's slim pickings to a rental place that has separate sections for The Stalin and solo Michiro Endo. (K2 Records in Nipponbashi if anyone is in the Osaka area.)

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Negrostrike posted:

Togawa's new version of Akai Sensha feat. Vampillia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNU0QbXVsw

Holy poo poo! I would have loved to have Akai Sensha on Togawa Kaidan but I'll take a Vampillia version in a heartbeat.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
My only beef with BiS is that I didn't get into them until just after they broke up. There's BiSH now but it's not quite the same, even if I could (and have) listened to "Deadman" on loop five times in a row.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Lord Superchrome posted:

Well then I've got some good news for you! BiS has started up again and they've got a new album out next week. The group has 4 new girls, but it's got the same leader and the same incorrigible A&R so they're going by the same name. The new album has a lot of re-recorded classics, but they actually sound pretty good. The members from BiS' final lineup in 2014 are all still active in the music biz, and they're more or less all killing it. Tentenko, the one who couldn't sing, self-releases experimental harsh noise CD-Rs and occasionally makes certified bangers like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDX3dEzXz20

Oh dang! Admittedly the only member I'd really been keeping up with much is Coshoji (and that mostly through Twitter osmosis from friends who do the idol thing more actively than I do) but this is cool news. Also wow why hadn't I been keeping up with Tentenko.

E: Ahaha one of the new members uses the stage name Peri Ubu

Speaking of heavy all-female Japanese bands, holy poo poo, I just realized Bleach 03 are on the Mr. Robot soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Melt-Banana is one of very few shows I've been to in Japan where the crowd made it feel like a show in the States. (That's a good thing.)

• Locked thread