Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Great to see Tatsuya Yoshida mentioned - while the early noise stuff is a bit harsh for me sometimes every single record he did from say, Burning Stone on is incredible. so many mindblowing how-the-hell-did-he-do-this moments, that is if you're paying attention (and if you're not, it all sounds like *crash crash crash* "AHHH!!! BPBPBPLBPBLBP!!!") Prog for the ADD generation. I think Rovo fits into that scene as well; straight up drum-oriented trancerock, kinda like those later Boredoms albums.

In technopop news - supergroup METAFIVE, consisting of Yukihiro Takahashi, Cornelius, Towa Tei, Leo Imai, Yoshinori Sunahara, and Tomohiko Gondo is releasing their first album today, I've really loved the previews thus far but this song in particular is really nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LBUEYGfisQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
You can find some surprising things on the US iTunes store - I picked up new albums by Ryukyudisko and De De Mouse for $12 a pop.

Sometimes eBay will have good deals. You never know what will pop up for two bucks. I got the live Metafive disc for cheap through there. No idea how to get their studio album yet.

Actually ordering the CDs new really sucks, even one that's a "bargain" (say, $18) still packs a huge shipping fee. I wish that more Japanese labels would make it easier on US fans but I guess they don't think that market really exists (maybe it doesn't?)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Hosono wrote three of the greatest songs of the early 80's - "Sportsman", "L.D.K.", and "Gradated Gray" - such a bummer that he barely attempted that style again

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Rip Slyme are great. I've listened to a lot of J-hiphop to find something that sounds like them but no avail. The early singles are indeed classic but I'd argue they've done a lot of great stuff recently. Their new album (called simply "10") is growing on me and I thought their last one (Golden Time) was as good as any.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I like Scha Dara Parr but its not quite the same - more traditional sounding hiphop, still good but I like how pop-minded and diverse Rip Slyme's music is. Denki Groove is the only thing I can think of that comes close - more electronic-oriented but they are great as well. Maybe even better!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

speaking of, if you don't have Fumiya's solo album "Beats for Daddy", definitely pick it up, it's a lot of fun

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

Yukihiro Takahashi - The Dearest Fool (1999)

Couldn't find any of its songs on YouTube unfortunately.

Hah, I didn't know anyone actually knew of this album! Probably one of my favorites of his. I wish "00" was on YouTube because that's one of my favorite songs of his full stop, maybe because of it's more-than-incidental similarity to "Jumbo" by Underworld?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Yeah Jun Togawa is very much something else. The music is great but I get the impression that having a good knowledge of Japanese culture and understanding the lyrics contributes greatly to understanding what she's all about. She's worked with both Hosono and Hirasawa, who are IMO The Twin Gods of Japanese synth music. Sad she hasn't been up to much the last 25 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

The one-finger keyboard solo on "Digital Watch" is one of my favorite things

Love Plastics, shame they only made 2 albums but really what else did they have to say? Hell, the first album nearly said it all. Great band.

• Locked thread