Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Liquid Communism posted:

This is why you should not post on the subject. Your obnoxious attempts to couch your hate for a group as reasonable and expected and good policy are just noise, and provide nothing of value to discussion.

Yeah, it's funny to see people who would generally consider themselves liberal admit that they want to ban guns out of disdain for gun owners. That's a fundamentally illiberal concept and if the topic were anything other than guns this sort of argument wouldn't be accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah, it's funny to see people who would generally consider themselves liberal admit that they want to ban guns out of disdain for gun owners. That's a fundamentally illiberal concept and if the topic were anything other than guns this sort of argument wouldn't be accepted.

The fact that gun fanboys are toy-obsessed narcissistic crybaby idiots, and also often arch-reactionary racist yahoos, is not the most important consideration as to gun control, but it remains a germane factor to keep in mind when considering their arguments as to why it is of vital import that their accessibility to lethal weapons not be hindered.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

So by "people" you mean "one poster", who will be used as proof that any and all gun regulation no matter how reasonable or effective, even when proposed by gun owners like myself who still want guns legal for hobbyists and hunters, is a devious trick which once signed into law will reveal in invisible ink the abrogation of the constitution and the authorization to start busting down doors and grabbing every gun in the country while Obama licks up the tears of law-abiding gun-enthusiasts and becomes drunk with glee at their despair.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

semper wifi posted:

The years have made me jaded when it comes to studies about guns, and I think that's true of most people interested in it because as I'm sure you know, there's a study for every position. No matter what position you're taking someone has massaged the numbers to support it.
That's only if you are willing to accept the reputation of the institutions on both sides as the same. In reality, pro-control:anti-control is more like climate change realism:denialism. There is a scientific consensus. And it's pro-control.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The safety of someone's partner and family is their business. If your partner feels that she doesn't want to live with a person who owns guns, she can either ask you to get rid of them, or she can break up with you. Either way, it's none of the state's business.
But it - is - the state's business, because women who want to leave their partners are often killed, and the partner having a gun is the number one predictor of a murder attempt. So, it's a vicious circle: you don't want to stay, you can't really leave. This is where state intervention is required.

quote:

I don't see barring the sale or transfer of a thing to be meaningfully different than prohibiting it, even without confiscation, because the intent and long term effect is the same.
Obviously - that would be the intent, to decrease the number of guns in circulation. But how this would affect you, your guns and your rights? With the number of guns currently in the US, and their general sturdiness and durability, any visible effect would take years, if not generations, to materialise.

quote:

What adjudication criteria, precisely, would you have used to disqualify the San Bernadino shooter?
Presumably, the result of a periodical psychological exam could show him unfit to possess one. It might not work in this particular case. But there's a chance this would have worked for Elliot Rodgers, Vester Flanagan, James Holmes and the Planned Parenthood shooter.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am european, so It took time for me to understand weapon owning in USA.

Is not about the guns, is about sending a message. Europeans can't have guns because the government have a exclusivity of violence. We have a violent government, so citizens can't be violent / don't need to be violent. We surrender part of our liberty to be more safe.

Citizens owning guns is a bad idea, flat out horrible idea, and cost a lot of lives. But is the price to pay to be a little more free. Is not propaganda, you are more free in USA.

I think discussions about the topic should be about if "is worth it" or USA have changed enough that now they want a different social contract about guns. The adult thing to do is, maybe, accept that some people is going to die to have this right. Maybe somebody feel that no, owning guns is not worth it. I think both opinions are worth of respect, the pro-gun people and the anti-gun people.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
A USA without guns would be something other than the USA, honestly, and i'm willing to accept additional gun deaths for that.

As long as capitalism rules the country, the proletariat should always be able to arm themselves. Yes, Tezzor, I know we kill each other with them, but class war inevitably involves the proletariat killing one another. It's just how the game has to be played. We had to kill Germans to liberate Germany, after all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh joy it's the left-wing version of the "Imma beat the US Army and conquer America with my AR-15" delusion. Except stupider.

You realize that if the large enough majority of proletariat it would take to win were actually willing to rise up against the government, they'd be able to just vote in the kind of government they want right?

Also, not a history buff, but pretty sure the guns that beat the Nazis came in from outside the country and they didn't need the Nazis to legalize the importation of American, British, and Soviet guns. Okay okay except the gun that killed Hitler, I guess that was a victory for anti-gun-control.

E: Wait, you're joking and I missed it didn't I. I can't tell anymore.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 10, 2015

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

VitalSigns posted:

So by "people" you mean "one poster", who will be used as proof that any and all gun regulation no matter how reasonable or effective, even when proposed by gun owners like myself who still want guns legal for hobbyists and hunters, is a devious trick which once signed into law will reveal in invisible ink the abrogation of the constitution and the authorization to start busting down doors and grabbing every gun in the country while Obama licks up the tears of law-abiding gun-enthusiasts and becomes drunk with glee at their despair.

I'm perfectly fine with gun control, I like the approach of regulating guns more like we regulate cars, I agree that in some cases the regulations are too lax.There are tons of people on this forum however, not just Tezzor, who want to end all civilian firearm ownership.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah but that's never going to happen because the second amendment ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Of course reasonable gun control isn't happening either, but if somehow it did it could never be a slippery slope to banning all guns both because the constitution prevents it and also because a supermajority of Americans oppose an outright ban. People who want to ban guns are totally irrelevant to the conversation except as a dishonest tactic by the gun lobby to engender fear and paranoia, appealing to people's emotions to override reasonable discussion.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VitalSigns posted:

This post is mostly on point, but it's not "one poster":

stinkles1112 posted:

My point is that I frankly don't care if some legal grey area is meandered into in service of the noble cause of breaking America's awful gun culture.

Geoff Peterson posted:

I'm all for loving up Gun Culture.
Nobody really negotiates in good faith on this, and that's why reasonable gun control legislation is impossible. Tezzor's petulant shitposting just means this thread sucks, but it's not like the dialogue is any better, anywhere else including the Capitol.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MaxxBot posted:

I'm perfectly fine with gun control, I like the approach of regulating guns more like we regulate cars, I agree that in some cases the regulations are too lax.There are tons of people on this forum however, not just Tezzor, who want to end all civilian firearm ownership.

The 2nd ain't going anywhere. That's the kinda bigger picture: We've stomached children barely older than toddlers being gunned down in their classrooms, we've already hit the lowest of the low and nothing came of it.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

MaxxBot posted:

This is an interesting avenue of attack given that:

* Liberal is used as a pejorative against Democrats (and by association misc. leftists) in US political parlance
* In general leftism subordinates individual liberties against strength of social contract, and believes in strong collectivist solutions
* Individual firearm rights are not settled dogma among classic liberal thought, nor was it among America's founding elite

So whether you meant it as a descriptor of the left, or in the broader political "classic liberal sense," this seems to be an incredibly weak avenue of attack.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

archangelwar posted:

This is an interesting avenue of attack given that:

* Liberal is used as a pejorative against Democrats (and by association misc. leftists) in US political parlance
* In general leftism subordinates individual liberties against strength of social contract, and believes in strong collectivist solutions
* Individual firearm rights are not settled dogma among classic liberal thought, nor was it among America's founding elite

So whether you meant it as a descriptor of the left, or in the broader political "classic liberal sense," this seems to be an incredibly weak avenue of attack.

It's not the banning guns part that I was describing as illiberal, it's the concept of wanting to ban a thing because you personally dislike the people who use that thing. I wouldn't use that criticism against something who wanted to ban guns purely out of public safety concerns.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Panzeh posted:

A USA without guns would be something other than the USA, honestly, and i'm willing to accept additional gun deaths for that.

As long as capitalism rules the country, the proletariat should always be able to arm themselves. Yes, Tezzor, I know we kill each other with them, but class war inevitably involves the proletariat killing one another. It's just how the game has to be played. We had to kill Germans to liberate Germany, after all.

But to use the parlance the proletariat don't use their guns on each other as part of warring factions of the revolution, or because some group are in league with the bourgoisie and it's a necessary cost. They use them because they're drunk or incompetent or angry or mentally ill or addicted to drugs, not because they are perpetrating the revolution.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MaxxBot posted:

It's not the banning guns part that I was describing as illiberal, it's the concept of wanting to ban a thing because you personally dislike the people who use that thing. I wouldn't use that criticism against something who wanted to ban guns purely out of public safety concerns.

Consider: if there is a correlation between gun ownership and being a total schmuck, then "[banning] a thing because you personally dislike the people who use that thing" suddenly metamorphosizes into an evidence-based policy entirely in keeping with liberal political philosophy.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

MaxxBot posted:

Pretty sure the dislike of those people stems from his existing position on guns and not vice versa.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MaxxBot posted:

I don't care if you think I'm illiberal. The character of gun fanboys speaks to the background and sincerity of their arguments and the consequences of them; for example, a person believes we should deregulate automatic weapons. His arguments make no sense and are easily rebutted, but he persists in them to the point of absurdity despite the fact that critical thought reveals them to be asinine almost immediately. He could be an anomaly, but there are millions just like him. Why is this? It makes sense only in the light of the theory that he is a toy-obsessed narcissist and his access to whatever firearm he wants on the merest whim is far more important to him than other peoples' suffering, let alone intellectual honesty.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Tezzor posted:

I don't care if you think I'm illiberal. The character of gun fanboys speaks to the background and sincerity of their arguments and the consequences of them; for example, a person believes we should deregulate automatic weapons. His arguments make no sense and are easily rebutted, but he persists in them to the point of absurdity despite the fact that critical thought reveals them to be asinine almost immediately. He could be an anomaly, but there are millions just like him. Why is this? It makes sense only in the light of the theory that he is a toy-obsessed narcissist and his access to whatever firearm he wants on the merest whim is far more important to him than other peoples' suffering, let alone intellectual honesty.
Actually it's based on the fact that putting automatic weapons on the NFA registry worked amazing well at totally eliminating their contribution to gun violence, even before the registry was closed. Opening that registry back up, and requiring handguns be on it as well, would do more to curb gun violence than all the mealymouthed demagoguery you could vomit up in a thousand gun control threads.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kilroy posted:

Actually it's based on the fact that putting automatic weapons on the NFA registry worked amazing well at totally eliminating their contribution to gun violence, even before the registry was closed. Opening that registry back up, and requiring handguns be on it as well, would do more to curb gun violence than all the mealymouthed demagoguery you could vomit up in a thousand gun control threads.

That's not the argument they give and you know it. Why not just put handguns on there if that's so effective? Without reference to increasing your accessibility to useless toys, what benefit is there to increasing the number and production of and decreasing the cost of automatic weapons?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

what benefit is there to increasing the number and production of and decreasing the cost of automatic weapons?

Really dope range vids for my youtube channel.

Without them we'd be at the mercy of Obama's FEMA death cult warriors!

The government machines must fear me, otherwise they will rise up against us all!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Consider: if there is a correlation between gun ownership and being a total schmuck, then "[banning] a thing because you personally dislike the people who use that thing" suddenly metamorphosizes into an evidence-based policy entirely in keeping with liberal political philosophy.

If the evidence in question is in support of "effective wedge-issue politicking," I agree.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

If the evidence in question is in support of "effective wedge-issue politicking," I agree.

I'm not saying there is a correlation between the two things, mind.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Tezzor posted:

That's not the argument they give and you know it. Why not just put handguns on there if that's so effective? Without reference to increasing your accessibility to useless toys, what benefit is there to increasing the number and production of and decreasing the cost of automatic weapons?
It was effective before the registry was closed, to the maximum extent theoretically possible. As such, there is no reason to think reopening it would lead to a significant increase in violence, and in fact good reason to think it would have no effect at all. It is therefore a good bargaining chip for putting handguns under the same legal regime, which if our experience with automatic weapons is anything to go by would put a solid dent in gun violence and overall violence. Not to mention, without opening that registry no one would go along with putting handguns on it, since that would mean handguns could no longer be manufactured or imported for civilian use at all.

You want a reason for reopening the registry that doesn't include lifting the ban on manufacture and importation, but there basically isn't one. It is the whole point of reopening that registry: to make adding handguns to it more palatable. You're worried about access but apparently haven't considered that you might be able to organize the fee structure such that access to automatic weapons doesn't change much. I suppose if I was the sort that thought access to firearms was some sort of check on government tyranny, I could also offer the argument that access to automatic weapons provides for a more effective check, but I'm not that sort so I won't. It is just a compromise to improve the law and the gun control regime in the US. But you seem to take any compromise at all as a personal offense, because you view it as a capitulation to a group of people that you loathe on a personal level - this description should sound familiar to you. This makes you lovely at politics and totally unconvincing to anyone that doesn't already agree with you, which is unfortunately most of the gun-control crowd (see quotes above). So, again, you and people like you are the reason gun control in the US is such a moronic poo poo show.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Crowdsourcing improvements in advanced marksmanship techniques that Our Hegemonic Warriors can then use to more efficiently impose freedom worldwide.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kilroy posted:

It was effective before the registry was closed, to the maximum extent theoretically possible. As such, there is no reason to think reopening it would lead to a significant increase in violence, and in fact good reason to think it would have no effect at all. It is therefore a good bargaining chip for putting handguns under the same legal regime, which if our experience with automatic weapons is anything to go by would put a solid dent in gun violence and overall violence. Not to mention, without opening that registry no one would go along with putting handguns on it, since that would mean handguns could no longer be manufactured or imported for civilian use at all.

You want a reason for reopening the registry that doesn't include lifting the ban on manufacture and importation, but there basically isn't one. It is the whole point of reopening that registry: to make adding handguns to it more palatable. You're worried about access but apparently haven't considered that you might be able to organize the fee structure such that access to automatic weapons doesn't change much. I suppose if I was the sort that thought access to firearms was some sort of check on government tyranny, I could also offer the argument that access to automatic weapons provides for a more effective check, but I'm not that sort so I won't. It is just a compromise to improve the law and the gun control regime in the US. But you seem to take any compromise at all as a personal offense, because you view it as a capitulation to a group of people that you loathe on a personal level - this description should sound familiar to you. This makes you lovely at politics and totally unconvincing to anyone that doesn't already agree with you, which is unfortunately most of the gun-control crowd (see quotes above). So, again, you and people like you are the reason gun control in the US is such a moronic poo poo show.

Your proposed benefit is that if we increase accessibility to automatic weapons we can therefore restrict access to pistols. This would certainly be an acceptable tradeoff to me, but I don't accept the premise of your argument that it would be something that average gun owners let alone gun otaku would accept or that it would make much if any difference at all in making passing it easier. We need to find means to make gun ownership less socially acceptable and circumvent its advocates, not attempt to engage them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Agreed. The registry worked, there seems to be no benefit to a backdoor ban.

Reopening the registry would also be a good faith move that would blunt the criticism that adding more guns to the registry is just a prelude to another backdoor ban on sales. Theoretically anyway, in the 90s that could have worked, probably not now with a black president that gun-nuts are so convinced is a Muslim Manchurian Candidate from the beating heart of Kenya that Brezhnev smuggled into the womb of a white woman to one day destroy all our freedoms that they're cashing in their retirement accounts to stock up on more and more guns.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Agreed. The registry worked, there seems to be no benefit to a backdoor ban.

Reopening the registry would also be a good faith move that would blunt the criticism that adding more guns to the registry is just a prelude to another backdoor ban on sales. Theoretically anyway, in the 90s that could have worked, probably not now with a black president that gun-nuts are so convinced is a Muslim Manchurian Candidate from the beating heart of Kenya that Brezhnev smuggled into the womb of a white woman to one day destroy all our freedoms that they're cashing in their retirement accounts to stock up on more and more guns.

It probably would take a Tea Party president to make any changes to gun laws one way or another. Which doesn't seem worth it to me.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If you want to add pistols to the NFA, you would need to eliminate the CLEO sign-off requirement, in order to keep it from being a soft ban. I'd want nation-wide preemption as well, because if a Form 4 has to be approved for every pistol sale, Cali and NY can get bent. Then there' the issue that the NFA theoretically exists to regulate dangerous and unusual weapons that fall outside the scope of "arms," and pistols have been held to be "arms." Also, the NFA being the primary factor in preventing machine gun crimes is a fallacy. Sawed-off shotguns are regulated by the same act, but remained quite popular for crimes.

When the President says things like, "We know that other countries, in response to one mass shooting, have been able to craft laws that almost eliminate mass shootings. Friends of ours, allies of ours -- Great Britain, Australia, countries like ours. So we know there are ways to prevent it.", citing two countires that reacted to mass shootings with huge restrictions on civilian gun ownership and confiscations, it isn't a paranoid stretch to think maybe he's in favor of huge restrictions on civilian gun ownership and confiscation.

meristem posted:

But it - is - the state's business, because women who want to leave their partners are often killed, and the partner having a gun is the number one predictor of a murder attempt. So, it's a vicious circle: you don't want to stay, you can't really leave. This is where state intervention is required.

Obviously - that would be the intent, to decrease the number of guns in circulation. But how this would affect you, your guns and your rights? With the number of guns currently in the US, and their general sturdiness and durability, any visible effect would take years, if not generations, to materialise.

Presumably, the result of a periodical psychological exam could show him unfit to possess one. It might not work in this particular case. But there's a chance this would have worked for Elliot Rodgers, Vester Flanagan, James Holmes and the Planned Parenthood shooter.
Huuuuge [citation needed] for that first claim. You're seriously alleging that the number one predictor of an attempt to kill an intimitate partner is firearms ownership?

Well, I don't see it as fine to gently caress with other people's rights as long as mine get sort of left alone. It would also make it impossible for me to replace my guns if they were worn out, damaged, or stolen. So that's a problem.

A psychologist's opinion is not an objective standard for adjudication. Especially if the state gets to pick the psychologist. Unless someone has been formally diagnosed as mentally incompetent or a danger to others, their rights shouldn't be restricted.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Dead Reckoning posted:

Then there' the issue that the NFA theoretically exists to regulate dangerous and unusual weapons that fall outside the scope of "arms," and pistols have been held to be "arms."
Ignoring that I simply don't care about the intention of Congress from the 1930s, handguns were in the original proposal, and were only dropped to avoid opposition from the NRA. I do think that putting pistols in there might cause us to revisit Sonzinsky v US, especially if it's done without modifications. (edit: Also regulating AOWs, but not pistols seems explicitly politically expedient)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

A psychologist's opinion is not an objective standard for adjudication. Especially if the state gets to pick the psychologist. Unless someone has been formally diagnosed as mentally incompetent or a danger to others, their rights shouldn't be restricted.

You ain't kidding, if for no other reason than mental health professionals simply aren't allowed enough time with patients or their cases.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Huuuuge [citation needed] for that first claim. You're seriously alleging that the number one predictor of an attempt to kill an intimitate partner is firearms ownership?.

I don't know if it's number one, but there are studies strongly supporting it as a factor.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1447915/ - One such study

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/209731.pdf -uses the study, and other stuff.

From the latter

quote:

Retrospective and case control studies have associated the use of guns and substance abuse
(both drugs and alcohol) with intimate partner homicide (Browne, Williams & Dutton, 1998;
Campbell, 1995). Access to and availability of firearms in the US greatly increases the risk of
homicide in general, as well as the risk of intimate partner homicide (Kellerman et al., 1993).
Bailey and associates (1997) reanalyzed the results of two population-based case-control studies
and found that prior intimate partner violence and gun ownership were strongly associated with
femicide in the home. In a study of 134 homicides of American Indian, Hispanic, and Non-Hispanic
white women in New Mexico, researchers also found that firearms were nearly two times more
likely to be used in “domestic” (intimate partner) femicides than other femicides (Arbuckle et al.,
1996). In most cities, handguns are the weapon of choice for intimate partner homicides (Wilt,
Illman & Field, 1995), although in Chicago (Block et al., 1995), knives (37%) were the most
commonly used weapon from 1993-96, with firearms a close second (37%). Male perpetrators
were more likely than female perpetrators to beat an intimate partner to death and slightly more
likely to use a handgun. In the 11-city femicide study, perpetrator access to a gun increased the
risk of femicide by OR = 5.38 and then use of a gun drastically increased the risk of the worst
incident of abuse being fatal (incident level risk factor) by OR = 41.38.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
All those studies tell us (and lol @ the one citing Kellerman as evidence that "availability of firearms in the US greatly increases the risk of homicide in general") is that someone who is threatened or attacked by a person with a weapon is far more likely to die than someone who is attacked by an unarmed assailant, or merely verbally threatened. ("The Danger Assessment study found that women who were threatened or assaulted with a gun or other weapon were 20 times more likely than other women to be murdered." - NIJ) This is true whether the victim is an intimate partner, or that guy down the block who owes you $100. However, it tells us nothing about the likelihood of being attacked in the first place, the likelihood of attempts. Meristem alleged that having a gun in the house was more likely to make someone attempt to kill their partner, which is a huge reach. According to the BJS offender profile for intimate violence offenders, two of the largest predictors were prior convictions ("The criminal justice system has extensive prior contact with those convicted of intimate violence. Among those in jail 78% have a prior conviction history, though not necessarily for intimate violence.") and drug and alcohol abuse (" More than half of both prison and jail inmates serving time for violence against an intimate had been using drugs or alcohol or both at the time of the incident for which they were incarcerated.") A domestic abuser with a gun is more likely to succeed in killing their partner (or anyone else really), which is why a conviction or pending charge for domestic abuse already disqualifies you from firearms ownership.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 10, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, the NFA being the primary factor in preventing machine gun crimes is a fallacy. Sawed-off shotguns are regulated by the same act, but remained quite popular for crimes.

You've said this a couple times but never substantiated it. What does "quite popular" mean, exactly? Less than 2.4% of murders in 2012 were with any kind of shotgun. Checking Google News, I see quite a few records of people being arrested for possession of sawed-off shotguns in the US, but comparatively few crimes actually being committed with them beyond their possession. As long as it is trivial to get a shotgun in this country, it will be easy to make a sawed-off shotgun, much easier than even how easy I am told it is to make a gun automatic. It seems to me that this is the law working as it should: allowing the confiscation of dangerous weapons, and the arrest of people flagrantly breaking the law.

quote:

Huuuuge [citation needed] for that first claim. You're seriously alleging that the number one predictor of an attempt to kill an intimitate partner is firearms ownership?

Not the number one predictor of any attempt, merely a successful one. Gunshot wounds are 2-3 times more likely to result in a fatality than knife wounds, and other methods are even less effective. Guns are used in almost 70% of all murders. Of the murder victims whose relationship to the perpetrator is not unknown, only 24.1% were strangers. Every other had a pre-existing relationship with the victim, and 36.1% - 50% more - were friends, family or significant others. Looking at that same table for motivations for the crime tells the tale - of the murders where the cause is known, only 31.4% are linked to other criminal activity. Of the remainder, murders not linked to other felonies, where the cause is specified in the data, 92.1% are over arguments. Why are arguments so lethal? Hemenway says:

http://harvardmagazine.com/2004/09/death-by-the-barrel.html

quote:

Statistically, the United States is not a particularly violent society. Although gun proponents like to compare this country with hot spots like Colombia, Mexico, and Estonia (making America appear a truly peaceable kingdom), a more relevant comparison is against other high-income, industrialized nations. The percentage of the U.S. population victimized in 2000 by crimes like assault, car theft, burglary, robbery, and sexual incidents is about average for 17 industrialized countries, and lower on many indices than Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.

"The only thing that jumps out is lethal violence," Hemenway says. Violence, pace H. Rap Brown, is not "as American as cherry pie," but American violence does tend to end in death. The reason, plain and simple, is guns.

"It's not as if a 19-year-old in the United States is more evil than a 19-year-old in Australia—, there's no evidence for that," Hemenway explains. "But a 19-year-old in America can very easily get a pistol. That's very hard to do in Australia. So when there's a bar fight in Australia, somebody gets punched out or hit with a beer bottle. Here, they get shot."

In general, guns don't induce people to commit crimes. "What guns do is make crimes lethal," says Hemenway. They also make suicide attempts lethal: about 60 percent of suicides in America involve guns. "If you try to kill yourself with drugs, there's a 2 to 3 percent chance of dying," he explains. "With guns, the chance is 90 percent."

The ways in which people die by guns would not make a good television cop show. Rarely does a suburban homeowner beat a burglar to the draw in his living room at 3 a.m. Few urban pedestrians thwart a mugger by brandishing a pistol. "We have done four surveys on self-defense gun use," Hemenway says. "And one thing we know for sure is that there's a lot more criminal gun use than self-defense gun use. And even when people say they pulled their gun in 'self-defense,' it usually turns out that there was just an escalating argument— & at some point, people feel afraid and draw guns."

Hemenway has collected stories of self-defense gun use by simply asking those who pulled guns what happened. A typical story might be: "We were in the park drinking. Drinking led to arguing. We ran to our cars and got our guns." Or: "I was sitting on my porch. A neighbor came up and we got into a fight. He threw a beer at me. I went inside and got my gun." Hemenway has sent verbatim accounts of such incidents to criminal-court judges, asking if the "self-defense" gun use described was legal. "Most of the time," he says, "the answer was no."

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 10, 2015

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What this forum needs is some common sense posting rules. No one here should be able to post without passing a thorough background check.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Tezzor posted:

Your proposed benefit is that if we increase accessibility to automatic weapons we can therefore restrict access to pistols. This would certainly be an acceptable tradeoff to me, but I don't accept the premise of your argument that it would be something that average gun owners let alone gun otaku would accept or that it would make much if any difference at all in making passing it easier.
It would still be a tough sell, no doubt, but in a saner and less polarized political climate would be doable. There would probably need to be some other concessions: lifting the ban on suppressors is an easy win and another one that would have little effect either way (suppressors do not work remotely as depicted in films), and to echo Dead Reckoning there is a lot of cruft and red tape that has built up around the NFA registry over the years and this would be a good opportunity to clean some of that up. On the flip side I think you could put fees in place which made the cheapest most absolute POS handgun possible start at around $1.5k or so, and the cheapest automatic rifle around $8.5k, for example. And, if possible, I'd support putting semi-automatic rifles on the registry as well, for what that's worth.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They should bring in a law that says for every gun sold in the US an equal gun is given to a random American Muslim.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
So your plan is to put pistols and semi-autos on the NFA... and then price them out of the reach of all but the upper class by charging ten times the cost of the gun in fees? No thanks.

Bedshaped posted:

They should bring in a law that says for every gun sold in the US an equal gun is given to a random American Muslim.
There was a government program like that for a while, but they didn't have to be American, or even Muslim: some Nicaraguans were recipients too.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hi guys, I don't know poo poo about firearms other than what I google on the spot, Who's my first opponent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LeoMarr posted:

Hi guys, I don't know poo poo about firearms other than what I google on the spot, Who's my first opponent

Me. I'll go first.

You're a retard.

• Locked thread