Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

SocketWrench posted:

Actually we import a lot of guns made all around the world. So you'd cut off domestic makes, I guarantee you there's plenty outside the country.

If you removed the US market as a consumer, less guns would be manufactured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

SocketWrench posted:

They're already manufactured; surplus arms.

And as guns are removed from circulation this surplus would diminish.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
All the ridiculous lies ITT about the simplicity of making a functional and effective firearm (without purchasing kits) do not change the fact that no one actually does it outside of an extreme few notable exceptions, and rarer still are criminals manufacturing firearms for the purpose of committing crime in places where there are firearm restrictions. Hell, even simple IEDs like pipebombs are rare in use and require little in the way of knowledge and tools.

It is a dumb thing to bring up.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
For something actually germane:

I have been reading some literature on the NICS background checks and some various state laws. Under the existing system, it appears that at the federal level, the FBI can place a hold to delay a purchase without initial due process, and many states have a "subversive group" clause which does not seem that different from the idea of the no fly list, as well as denial at judicial discretion without conviction or existing indictment. It seems that the government position on "due process" and gun purchases is that they are allowed to delay your purchase as long as you have a route to appeal without it being a rights violation.

Is this accurate, or are there other checks and oversights of the various open ended catch-all capabilities that exist?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I hate to quote myself but the 'deadly zip gun' debate might have drowned out something I would legit like to discuss:

archangelwar posted:

For something actually germane:

I have been reading some literature on the NICS background checks and some various state laws. Under the existing system, it appears that at the federal level, the FBI can place a hold to delay a purchase without initial due process, and many states have a "subversive group" clause which does not seem that different from the idea of the no fly list, as well as denial at judicial discretion without conviction or existing indictment. It seems that the government position on "due process" and gun purchases is that they are allowed to delay your purchase as long as you have a route to appeal without it being a rights violation.

Is this accurate, or are there other checks and oversights of the various open ended catch-all capabilities that exist?

Comedy option: If it passed, potential terrorists could use periodic firearm purchases to determine the point at which they have landed on the government's radar.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

I like these examples because almost all of them would not be impacted at all by any proposed gun legislation, most of them could be handled better by better resource allocation, and when left with the 1 or 2 examples that might be impacted by anything up to a complete ban of firearms, you have to start asking yourself if it is possible such a ban would reduce total incidence mass shootings by more than 2 over the course of 20 years.

It would be a great thing for the CDC to determine for proper action.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Kilroy posted:

I don't think we should hamper research efforts based on what we think the outcome might be. Whatever ban you're going on about, I'm in favor of lifting it and using the resulting research to inform future policy.

Basically my stance; as having been a strong gun rights proponent, I have been evolving my position based on discovering the intellectual bankruptcy of most gun advocacy. I would gladly sacrifice my guns, used primarily for acquisition of tasty sausage, sport and entertainment, if it means it will result in an overall reduction in death and suffering. This corresponds to my distance from misguided teenage libertarianism as well.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

semper wifi posted:

How are you going to complain about intellectual bankruptcy in one sentence and then say "i changed my position because i'm afraid i'll get called a libertarian" in the next one

That is... quite the interpretation. Here, let me clarify... As my beliefs have evolved away from libertarianism, so has my belief in the strength of individual gun rights.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah, it's funny to see people who would generally consider themselves liberal admit that they want to ban guns out of disdain for gun owners. That's a fundamentally illiberal concept and if the topic were anything other than guns this sort of argument wouldn't be accepted.

This is an interesting avenue of attack given that:

* Liberal is used as a pejorative against Democrats (and by association misc. leftists) in US political parlance
* In general leftism subordinates individual liberties against strength of social contract, and believes in strong collectivist solutions
* Individual firearm rights are not settled dogma among classic liberal thought, nor was it among America's founding elite

So whether you meant it as a descriptor of the left, or in the broader political "classic liberal sense," this seems to be an incredibly weak avenue of attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

MaxxBot posted:

It's not the banning guns part that I was describing as illiberal, it's the concept of wanting to ban a thing because you personally dislike the people who use that thing. I wouldn't use that criticism against something who wanted to ban guns purely out of public safety concerns.

Pretty sure the dislike of those people stems from his existing position on guns and not vice versa.

• Locked thread