Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

God drat look at this baller.

I hope to be making a few things tonight to hopefully jump start some others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yup, I'm working on something too, though I'm not sure if I'll make it under the deadline.

You should also talk to a mod about sticky-ing this! No reason Christmas's Greatest Contest should be buried like this.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

zolthorg posted:

For the record I thought this had started on Dec 10 when it was first posted in the game dev threads, and a ludum dare just started on ~dec 10 so that's probably the reason for the quiet front regarding the game competition
To be honest, we had totally forgotten the Game Maker thread when posting the first announcement. It was only when I posted the reminder, we remembered it. My bad :blush:

And I didn't even know a Ludum Dare collided with this. If an entry to that fits this competition, by all means submit it here too.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I also am hard at work on a game for the contest. Will possibly have it done as soon as tomorrow night.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kragger99 posted:

Well, we're halfway through the contest, and we've had I think 2 entries. Thank you for those!
We've been debating cancelling it altogether due to the lack of interest, but we're not sure that's the best option.
We will scale back the prizes though. For each competition, unless there are 5 or more entries, we'll only have one prize.

As for the crossword I was going to post this weekend, I'll save that for another day. Put too much effort in for potentially no interest.

I'm also not going to post reminders of this thread in the main Steam or Gifting/Contests threads, as apparently it pisses some people off.

We'll run this to the end, to be fair to anyone that was going to enter.

Thanks for the entries so far! Hopefully we'll have some more before next Sunday.

Sorry if I sound butthurt, but when putting up ~$300 in prizes with 2 entries halfway through, it's a little disheartening.

What's tripped you up is you went with three big contests instead of lots of daily ones with a short time limit. People are gonna take more time with their entries because of it, so they're gonna be a lot more sparse in the leadup to the deadline.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

Like every year I'm adding :siren: my little birthday contest :siren:

• Task: just mash together gaming and christmas in any way or form. It can be food, picture, song, game, costume, writing whatever you want. Just put 2 things together in like 5 minutes, whatever.
  • Prize: the entry I'll like the most or laugh the most at will get a game(s) on Steam worth up to $20.
  • Deadline: You have time until monday night.

Good luck and have fun!

Not many people know this, but Santa is actually real. He's just been stuck on this level for a few hundred years:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Ragequit posted:

Not many people know this, but Santa is actually real. He's just been stuck on this level for a few hundred years:

This is triggering my BTSD.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kragger99 posted:

Well, we're halfway through the contest, and we've had I think 2 entries. Thank you for those!
We've been debating cancelling it altogether due to the lack of interest, but we're not sure that's the best option.
We will scale back the prizes though. For each competition, unless there are 5 or more entries, we'll only have one prize.

I plan to get on it, but not until tomorrow. I mean, I don't think that will turn everything around but I'm just telling you there is more interest than it may appear.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

:gaben:
:siren:2. Create a new Steam Achievement::siren:

Just Cause 3 Christmas Update Achievements!

Seasons Griefings: Tether Rudolph to something other than Santa's sleigh.

Under the Mistletoe: Give someone a romantic shock by attaching them to a tree or shrub.

Massive Boughs of Holly: Reach max speed in your wingsuit while only 25 feet off the ground.

Silentlocke
Feb 13, 2008
My first attempt at making anything game related. http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=32862b41226112b4791f
Seriously though, that game maker is really fun. I'm gonna keep messing around with it.

Silentlocke fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 13, 2015

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Im working on a game but i just found this thread yesterday.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I had no idea this was even going on, exposure is a bit lacking.
The steam thread being weird this year means I mostly skim it though so that's on me.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Zedd posted:

I had no idea this was even going on, exposure is a bit lacking.
The steam thread being weird this year means I mostly skim it though so that's on me.

I was going to post reminders, but like I said, some rear end in a top hat complained in the Steam thread about it, so I got discouraged.
Glad to see there are still a bunch of possible entries coming, and thanks for that gang.

VVV Agreed! vvv

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 13, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

I was going to post reminders, but like I said, some rear end in a top hat complained in the Steam thread about it, so I got discouraged.
Glad to see there are still a bunch of possible entries coming, and thanks for that gang.

Compared to all the dumb poo poo that is posted in the Steam thread as of late, a reminder about a fun contest is a breath of fresh air. Thankfully Zombie is doing a fun review series again so the quality is going up.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I just assume everyone is sarcastic. It's easier on my heart that way.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

VVV Agreed! vvv

Safely ignoring complaining in the steam thread is a good idea.

Akilles
Dec 29, 2008

Silentlocke posted:

Seriously though, that game maker is really fun. I'm gonna keep messing around with it.
I totally agree, the puzzlescript thing is really easy to use. My little game took an hour or two and I have never made a game before.
If you have a glimmer of an idea, you can make a game.

Silentlocke
Feb 13, 2008

Akilles posted:

I totally agree, the puzzlescript thing is really easy to use. My little game took an hour or two and I have never made a game before.
If you have a glimmer of an idea, you can make a game.

Yeah, it takes an hour or two to go from I have no idea what I'm doing to multiple levels done. Really fun.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kragger99 posted:

Elite Dangerous doesn't have any cards or achievements, so let's rectify that.

Steam link.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Palpek posted:

Dataminers have managed to unlock some Christmas content in Kojima's Playstation 4 horror preview PT.

It's not for the faint of heart.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jamfrost posted:

In other news, I spent my a good portion of my afternoon using Palpek's contest to learn more about Krita and here's the result:

Ragequit posted:

Gromit posted:

Dataminers have managed to unlock some Christmas content in Kojima's Playstation 4 horror preview PT.

It's not for the faint of heart.
Four entries so far and I enjoyed all of them. There's still like one day left in my competition so if anybody else wants to take a shot at winning $20 in games - go for it.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Palpek posted:

:siren: my little birthday contest :siren:

Blatantly recycling an old idea, not enough time to think of something more original.

WINTER CELL

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

westborn posted:

Blatantly recycling an old idea, not enough time to think of something more original.

WINTER CELL

Your art style is great as always.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I bet no-ones ever seen STALKER-based xmas inside jokes before! Or probably again.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kragger99 posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/smokeweedeveryotherday

e: because i intended it to be a legitimate entry, sorry

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 18, 2015

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I appreciate the last one on that list. :golfclap:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I made a Thing, put it in whatever contests it fits I wanna win games

http://www.philome.la/SandyPugGames/a-very-bloodborne-christmas/play

Wait I guess I'm entering it into these two -

Palpek posted:

• Task: just mash together gaming and christmas in any way or form. It can be food, picture, song, game, costume, writing whatever you want. Just put 2 things together in like 5 minutes, whatever.
  • Prize: the entry I'll like the most or laugh the most at will get a game(s) on Steam worth up to $20.
  • Deadline: You have time until monday night.

Good luck and have fun!

OP posted:

:siren: 2015 Steamgoon Holiday Contest :siren:
sponsored by Depends, because nowadays all games are either piss-poor, or outright shitty.

This year we’re running 3 main contests simultaneously from now to Monday, Dec 21st.
Enter any of the main contests, comment on other people's entries, or send gifts or prizes to entries you enjoy. This is supposed to be a celebration, so let's have some fun!

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 15, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

I made a game!

Download here.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
That's an interesting combination of mechanics.
It was cool when reduced to just a head and under fire from the enemy one of my snowman teammates grabbed my head and ran me back to base to regenerate.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

:gary: The time is up and my contest is officially finished. :yarg:

The winner is....westborn for the effort put into the artwork and amazing execution.

westborn posted:

WINTER CELL

You win a $20 Steam spending spree. Add me on Steam if you haven't yet: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Palpek/

The not-planned runner-up prize goes to Ragequit because his entry is both clever and funny.

Ragequit posted:

You win a $10 Steam spending spree. I already have you on Steam so just tell me what games you want.

Thanks a lot to all other participants, I had a good laugh at this contest. See you next year!

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

Amstrad posted:

That's an interesting combination of mechanics.
It was cool when reduced to just a head and under fire from the enemy one of my snowman teammates grabbed my head and ran me back to base to regenerate.

Thanks for playing! I'm glad you had fun.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

I remember waaaaaay back when the Steam winter sale had a bunch of special holiday achievements. Nowadays they would probably have to add special emotes and trading cards for each game, too. Actually, that would be pretty cool, so let's do that. Pick a game on Steam and come up with a set of at least three holiday achievements, emotes, or trading cards for it. If you're feeling ambitious, you can do all three!

Well, I already entered one contest, might as well enter them all!

For my second entry, I did some achievements and cards for my PREVIOUS entry in the contest, A Very Bloodborne Christmas! Coming Soon(never) To Steam!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I made a Thing, put it in whatever contests it fits I wanna win games

http://www.philome.la/SandyPugGames/a-very-bloodborne-christmas/play
Achievements

Cards

^^^This is by far the best one. I am unreasonably proud of this^^^

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Good stuff, thanks Palpek! Hope the birthday was solid. Great entries all around in this thread so far.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Unity is being very mean to me and everything is moving inside of everything else D:
deadline closing in

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Format Edit:

Kragger99 posted:

I remember waaaaaay back when the Steam winter sale had a bunch of special holiday achievements. Nowadays they would probably have to add special emotes and trading cards for each game, too. Actually, that would be pretty cool, so let's do that. Pick a game on Steam and come up with a set of at least three holiday achievements, emotes, or trading cards for it. If you're feeling ambitious, you can do all three!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Jamfrost/

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 18, 2015

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Kragger99 posted:

:mario:
:siren:1. Game Creator Extraordinaire::siren:

Took my last final today, which means I was finally able to finish my entry!

In Holy Night, you have been instructed by the big man himself to light the Star of Bethlehem. But are you a bad enough Angel to pull it off? Or will Christmas be ruined forever?

Download link here: http://nicklives.itch.io/holy-night

Steam id: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bredgentleman

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
It took some time, but those are some really good contributions this year. Nice work.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I feel like I should have worked Depends into my entries in some way. I mean, they deserve the recognition. Then again, they're always taking the piss...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I contacted both winners of my competition, check your Steam messages!

• Locked thread