Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Why can't they find any native Israeli spokespeople?
It's always emigres from the US, UK, Australia, or people who fled Rhodesia and Apartheid Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1783779311062786269

I guess this Israeli crime was too horrific even for the Passive Voice Team at NBC to not mention who killed her.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I have a question, actually, because I don't think it comes up in the news a lot. What's the situation with Israeli Arabs right now? Knowing Israel's policing practices and the rise of extreme anti-Arabic sentiment, I suspect a lot of them understandably prefer to lay low fearing persecution rather than participate in protests or more radical action. At the same time, the last time the United Arab List was in the news was when their delegation visited Jordan a month or so ago, and I imagine not all Israeli Arabs are satisfied with their efforts. The latest poll I could find was too close to Oct 7 and indicated increased sense of 'kinship with Israel', but I expect that the overall mood could have changed since.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/poll-finds-high-support-among-arab-israelis-for-volunteering-during-war/

Marenghi posted:

It's always emigres from the US, UK, Australia, or people who fled Rhodesia and Apartheid Africa.

They probably think they are seen as more relatable by white westerners who is the primary audience. It's all very cynical and stupid.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I have a question, actually, because I don't think it comes up in the news a lot. What's the situation with Israeli Arabs right now? Knowing Israel's policing practices and the rise of extreme anti-Arabic sentiment, I suspect a lot of them understandably prefer to lay low fearing persecution rather than participate in protests or more radical action. At the same time, the last time the United Arab List was in the news was when their delegation visited Jordan a month or so ago, and I imagine not all Israeli Arabs are satisfied with their efforts. The latest poll I could find was too close to Oct 7 and indicated increased sense of 'kinship with Israel', but I expect that the overall mood could have changed since.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/poll-finds-high-support-among-arab-israelis-for-volunteering-during-war/

They probably think they are seen as more relatable by white westerners who is the primary audience. It's all very cynical and stupid.

I mean right now you can be arrested, as an Israeli Arab, for scrolling the internet (https://www.commondreams.org/news/israel-counterterrorism-law), can be stripped of their citizenship for a multitude of offenses, and "[c]ivil rights lawyers say Israeli authorities are interpreting any expressions of solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza as incitement" (https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-police-crack-down-arab-citizens-expressing-solidarity-with-gaza-2023-10-20/), they are laying low. Even with the recent settler attacks on Palestinian civilians in the West Bank.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Marenghi posted:

I assume they'd prefer recent expats since they can speak the language and theoretically sell the idea that Israelis are 'just like you' to their respective nations. Although I think in practice the kind of person who would leave a safe country for Israel (and volunteer as a spokesperson) tends to come off as pretty weird

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shageletic posted:

I mean right now you can be arrested, as an Israeli Arab, for scrolling the internet (https://www.commondreams.org/news/israel-counterterrorism-law), can be stripped of their citizenship for a multitude of offenses, and "[c]ivil rights lawyers say Israeli authorities are interpreting any expressions of solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza as incitement" (https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-police-crack-down-arab-citizens-expressing-solidarity-with-gaza-2023-10-20/), they are laying low. Even with the recent settler attacks on Palestinian civilians in the West Bank.

Yes, I saw these reports last year, but then they disappeared from the news very soon after and Palestinians in the West Bank now seem to be bearing the brunt of Israel's police action. I would be really interested if there was an outlet or even a blog that covers current events specifically from the Israeli Arab perspective, as it seems to me to be very underrepresented. Even +972 are understandably focused almost entirely on what's going on with Palestinians in Gaza and West Bank.

\/\/\/ Thanks, I'll check it out.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 26, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Yes, I saw these reports last year, but then they disappeared from the news very soon after and Palestinians in the West Bank now seem to be bearing the brunt of Israel's police action. I would be really interested if there was an outlet or even a blog that covers current events specifically from the Israeli Arab perspective, as it seems to me to be very underrepresented. Even +972 are understandably focused almost entirely on what's going on with Palestinians in Gaza and West Bank.

I've been checking this site to see any updates on discrimantory laws against Israeli Arabs (though they also cover Palestinians in the West Bank), for a while now: https://www.adalah.org/en/law/index

Though like you I wish there was more information on what they're going thru right now.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I assume they'd prefer recent expats since they can speak the language and theoretically sell the idea that Israelis are 'just like you' to their respective nations. Although I think in practice the kind of person who would leave a safe country for Israel (and volunteer as a spokesperson) tends to come off as pretty weird

They do have a swivel eyed lunacy to them. The Irish guy who emigrated thought it was normal reaction to say he would have preferred his daughter dead than captured by Hamas.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I appreciate the corrections from Civilized Fishbot and Saladman regarding the outbound flights. I ought to have checked those out instead of just relying on memory.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

RE: the rest of your post, comparing the raw numbers of Israelis and Palestinians in the country or around the world, as if they're all gonna get together for a mass fistfight to decide it all, is stupid. The Israeli state is an apartheid one which should immediately be replaced by a normal democracy, but it's not going down to a rebellion in the form you describe, because it's also a nuclear power totally integrated into the broad first-world military-industrial complex. That's how it's currently mass-murdering tens of thousands of the civilians who you say would be doing that uprising with basically zero interference from foreign militaries.

The genocide and apartheid in Palestine will both end, I'm pretty sure, in a way comparable to how these ended in Australia or the United States: the victorious settler state determines that continuing to further dispossess the indigenous population isn't worth the domestic cost (like the loss of tourists) and international opprobrium (like boycotts), so they'll become a "normal" country with a "normal" marginalized racial minority who have nominally equal rights.

I agree with all of this, except for the part about nuclear weapons; Israel isn't likely going to use those on what it considers its own territory. But note that I was speaking hypothetically, responding to someone who seemed to be suggesting that Israel putting down a general revolt would be easy. I don't think there's going to be anything like such an uprising. But if, due to some magical set of circumstances, it were to happen, it would be extremely difficult to put down.

e:

Marenghi posted:

They do have a swivel eyed lunacy to them. The Irish guy who emigrated thought it was normal reaction to say he would have preferred his daughter dead than captured by Hamas.

Hoo boy, if you want a great example of that, check out Hasan Piker's recent experience on Piers Morgan. Or don't; it's really bad (but I'm gonna post it anyway):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tApmG0nGC7g

Skip the "Crackhead Barney" interview (ie: up to 9:50); she's an idiot clout chaser, as Hasan correctly points out. Hasan understandably loses his temper a couple of times, but hoo boy, does the blonde lady come off as a complete reptile.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 26, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I can judge based on Israeli media and what random Israelis post on social media: there's too great a risk that they'll just openly advocate for the extermination of all Palestinians, or express Opinions about things like birthrates and intermarriage. They have no idea what they sound like to other people in developed nations.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 26, 2024

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In a tiny bit of cosmic light relief, Ben-Gvir's car just got flipped onto its roof, and he is 'moderately injured'.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Majorian posted:

Skip the "Crackhead Barney" interview (ie: up to 9:50); she's an idiot clout chaser, as Hasan correctly points out. Hasan understandably loses his temper a couple of times, but hoo boy, does the blonde lady come off as a complete reptile.

and the black conservative woman tags in to crush that lady, too

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Majorian posted:

Skip the "Crackhead Barney" interview (ie: up to 9:50); she's an idiot clout chaser, as Hasan correctly points out.

i'll do you one better and skip the entire video

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i'll do you one better and skip the entire video

Yeah, that's probably the right choice. Like I said, it's awful. BUT it's a great look at what talking points they're hitting and will continue to hit.

And, of course, how the mainstream media and especially ghouls like Piers will continue to "both-sides" things that should not be "both-sided." Hasan calls him out for this at the end and it's pretty funny.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Halloween Jack posted:

If I can judge based on Israeli media and what random Israelis post on social media: there's too great a risk that they'll just openly advocate for the extermination of all Palestinians

Pretty sure that has already happened.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

What in the everloving gently caress is going on? Is this some bit from the 1980s? This is utterly baffling. Piers Morgan is making fun of a mentally ill woman or doing a comedy routine about a mentally ill character?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://x.com/PalestineChron/status/1783904938701050260

Ben Gvir (who apparently has a reputation for doing so often) allegedly ran a red light and was injured in a car accident. Unfortunately no other developments likely.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Butter Activities posted:

https://x.com/PalestineChron/status/1783904938701050260

Ben Gvir (who apparently has a reputation for doing so often) allegedly ran a red light and was injured in a car accident. Unfortunately no other developments likely.

He appears to be fine, and blamed his running red lights on how unsafe it is in that particular city.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Blinken/Biden's one performative fig leaf of pretending to curb excesses of the IDF gets predictably smothered with a pillow.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveb...0News%20report.

quote:

Washington will not go ahead with sanctions it has been considering against Israeli military and police units alleged to have committed human rights violations against Palestinians, including the Netzah Yehuda Battalion, according to an ABC News report.

While the Biden administration has determined “gross human rights violations” were committed by Israel Defense Forces against Palestinians in the West Bank, according to the report, the relevant battalions will remain eligible for US military aid.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken shared the assessment in a letter to House Speaker Mike Johnson, ABC reports, in which he wrote that the position “will not delay the delivery of any US assistance and Israel will be able to receive the full amount appropriated by Congress.”

"Yeah, they for sure did Human Rights Abuses. No, we ain't doing poo poo."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Here's the source ABC News report:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-sanction-israeli-military-units-accused-human-rights/story?id=109651562

Here's the excluded explanatory material:

quote:

The Biden administration has determined that three military battalions with the Israel Defense Forces committed "gross human rights violations" against Palestinian civilians in the West Bank but will remain eligible for U.S. military aid regardless because of steps Israel says it's taking to address the problem, ABC News has learned.

The administration assessment, which has not yet been made public and could change if Israel doesn't take specific steps, was outlined in an undated letter by Secretary of State Antony Blinken to House Speaker Mike Johnson obtained by ABC News.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I wonder what these specific steps are and why the Biden administration is confident Israel will take them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Majorian posted:

I think everyone in this including Piers Morgan is chasing clout. It's really sad to see mainstream news turn to dramatic internet personas as if it need to be even worse.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

I wonder what these specific steps are and why the Biden administration is confident Israel will take them.

One of them is likely what you posted yesterday. Cooperation with food aid entry via the pier.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Hey it's me, the cool enlightened liberal dude, I really care about democracy and civilization, just joking about <checks note> burning jewish people alive.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

I think the issue is that people don’t believe the explanation because Biden wants to bend over backwards to please Israel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sephyr posted:

Hey it's me, the cool enlightened liberal dude, I really care about democracy and civilization, just joking about <checks note> burning jewish people alive.

A bunch of evidence came out about him grooming and sexually assaulting people. Very desperate but smart to ally hard with Israel, for now i guess

e: oh, unless you took that tweet with him being serious? lmao
https://www.tiktok.com/@brainrotpolitics/video/7296302600905887019

He's very pro-israel, I hate I even know this

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 27, 2024