Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

Ethnic or religious groups shouldn't be oppressed, disenfranchised, or discriminated against, regardless of the ethnic or religious makeup of the state. Just as I oppose Israeli oppression of Palestinians under both formal and de facto Israeli control, I would oppose any similar oppression of Jews by hypothetical future Israeli Palestinians. I would dearly hope that this is not a controversial statement, and that everyone in this thread could agree on at least that much. (and if anyone disagrees, please kindly get the gently caress out)

However, it is absolutely unacceptable to oppress and discriminate against an ethnic group for fear that, if they were not oppressed and disenfranchised, they might gain enough power in the government to reverse those policies back against their former oppressors. It's just a thin excuse to justify racism as "necessary", no different from Confederate slavemasters who claimed that slavery (and later Jim Crow) was necessary to protect whites from the retribution of ex-slaves.

The proper answer is to have a strong state with effective checks and balances which prevent the state from discriminating against any minority group, regardless of which one it is. And, in all honesty, a one-state solution would be pretty close to that already! Most abuses against Palestinians are either extralegal, illegal, or governed by an alternate legal framework (mostly military law or immigration law). A one-state solution would neatly end the applicability of the military laws responsible for most of the abuse in the Palestinian territories and the residency laws used to threaten East Jerusalem Palestinians, without giving any opportunity for those same laws to be applied against Jews. The extralegal abuse wouldn't be stopped by a one-state solution, but its institutional nature heavily insulates it from population shifts so there's no need to worry about turnabout from Palestinians there either.

What about the previous oppression of Jews by Palestinian arabs? Do the Jews of the arab world get to return to their homes and have their property returned to them before or after you require them to compensate the families of those who stole their property and livelihoods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

What about the previous oppression of Jews by Palestinian arabs? Do the Jews of the arab world get to return to their homes and have their property returned to them before or after you require them to compensate the families of those who stole their property and livelihoods?

it would be pretty horrible if those people ended up stateless refugees and spent decades, then generations, trying to get back a fraction of what they lost

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zeal posted:

it would be pretty horrible if those people ended up stateless refugees and spent decades, then generations, trying to get back a fraction of what they lost

It's quite easy to prevent that loss: keep Israel a Jewish state and denounce anyone who would make millions of Jews stateless refugees, like Hitler and Stalin did in Eastern Europe, as antisemitic in their objective.

When millions of Jews are made stateless, history shows that before Israel, they are killed. After Israel, they have refuge and a nation willing to accept them and allow them to worship freely. BDS would make millions of Jews stateless once more and invite another holocaust in its goals. While BDS is not open in its antisemitism, its goals can result in no other conceivable course.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's quite easy to prevent that loss: keep Israel a Jewish state and denounce anyone who would make millions of Jews stateless refugees, like Hitler and Stalin did in Eastern Europe, as antisemitic in their objective.

When millions of Jews are made stateless, history shows that before Israel, they are killed. After Israel, they have refuge and a nation willing to accept them and allow them to worship freely. BDS would make millions of Jews stateless once more and invite another holocaust in its goals. While BDS is not open in its antisemitism, its goals can result in no other conceivable course.

Who are you imagining is trying to do this? Because this is another one of those straw men you invent whole cloth throughout the thread.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"We have to oppress population A, otherwise they might oppress population B!"

My Imaginary GF posted:

What about the previous oppression of Jews by Palestinian arabs?

As history showed, the Jews turned to oppress the Arabs as soon as they got in a position of force to do so. Since you and TIC are arguing that preemptive oppression is a Good Thing, then you have to conclude that it was a good, necessary, and justified thing.

If you claim it wasn't, then you cannot also claim that continued oppression of the Palestinians is a good thing. At least, you cannot do so without having to rely on racism.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 23, 2015

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Salt of the earth

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Just out of curiosity, how many Israeli homes have been destroyed due to their occupants being suspected of terrorism?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A Terrible Person posted:

Just out of curiosity, how many Israeli homes have been destroyed due to their occupants being suspected of terrorism?

Most of the settlers in Gaza lost their homes.

Israel is at their Manifest Destiny. Its very American of them to desire the west lands to be liberated for the future of all jewish peoples.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

As history showed, the Jews turned to oppress the Arabs as soon as they got in a position of force to do so. Since you and TIC are arguing that preemptive oppression is a Good Thing, then you have to conclude that it was a good, necessary, and justified thing.

If you claim it wasn't, then you cannot also claim that continued oppression of the Palestinians is a good thing. At least, you cannot do so without having to rely on racism.
I don't think anyone is arguing that Israeli policy towards the Palestinians is a good thing. The way I understand the argument is this:

The modern history of the middle east has an alarmingly common pattern of disenfranchised groups retaliating against the previously ruling group as soon as they get the levers of power, and attempting to consolidate their power rather than form a representative government. If Israel allowed a Palestinian return in the way most Palestinian activists envision it (it wouldn't be a token number) and allowed Palestinians equal representation, and otherwise stopped its efforts to ensure a Jewish majority, the almost certain outcome would be Jews becoming a political minority within a relatively short timeframe.

Given the almost universally poor treatment and disenfranchisement suffered by minorities in the middle east, (including, yes, in Israel) it is quite reasonable for Jewish Israelis to believe that their rights would not be respected should such a situation come to pass, especially in light of the irredentist and anti-Semitic themes in Palestinian rhetoric.

While it is possible to point to South Africa as an example of a relatively peaceful transition to unified a post-colonial government, it must be pointed out that, 1) it was an outlier, and 2) in neighboring Zimbabwe, the post-colonial government almost immediately abrogated the power sharing agreement meant to protect the rights of the white minority, crashed the economy, suffers from wide-spread corruption, and did/does nothing to protect the rights of minorities from violence and property seizure by the new ruling class. It's the worst case scenario Israelis rightly fear.

While it is quite reasonable to argue from a moral and normative perspective that Israel should stop its attempts to ensure that the electorate is Jewish-majority by shutting Palestinians out of political power, it's a little disingenuous to refuse to engage the reality that would be the most likely outcome in such a situation.

I can see why people would be reluctant to engage with this point, since it would require arguing either that a government with a Jewish minority would never arise, that a government with a Jewish minority would protect Jewish citizens' rights, in contrast to every other government in recent regional history, or that Jewish citizens have a moral imperative to accept whatever outcome happens, no matter how terrible.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

I didn't say anything about compensation. However, I'm completely in support of Arab Jews who were forcibly expelled from their home countries being offered a right of return, and have never claimed otherwise. I'm not sure what part of "Ethnic or religious groups shouldn't be oppressed, disenfranchised, or discriminated against, regardless of the ethnic or religious makeup of the state" is hard for you to understand?

Yes, I realize you're trying to bait people into saying something you can construe as biased or unfair against Jews so you can accuse the whole thread of being anti-semitic, but it's really tiresome and I wish you'd stop!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

LeoMarr posted:

Most of the settlers in Gaza lost their homes.

If I recall correctly, Israel abandoned Gaza and withdrew their settlers long ago. I meant more along the lines of their homes being bombed or bulldozed due to some illegal action or incitement, especially when said homes are still being occupied.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Dead Reckoning posted:

While it is possible to point to South Africa as an example of a relatively peaceful transition to unified a post-colonial government, it must be pointed out that, 1) it was an outlier, and 2) in neighboring Zimbabwe, the post-colonial government almost immediately abrogated the power sharing agreement meant to protect the rights of the white minority, crashed the economy, suffers from wide-spread corruption, and did/does nothing to protect the rights of minorities from violence and property seizure by the new ruling class. It's the worst case scenario Israelis rightly fear.

While it is quite reasonable to argue from a moral and normative perspective that Israel should stop its attempts to ensure that the electorate is Jewish-majority by shutting Palestinians out of political power, it's a little disingenuous to refuse to engage the reality that would be the most likely outcome in such a situation.

I can see why people would be reluctant to engage with this point, since it would require arguing either that a government with a Jewish minority would never arise, that a government with a Jewish minority would protect Jewish citizens' rights, in contrast to every other government in recent regional history, or that Jewish citizens have a moral imperative to accept whatever outcome happens, no matter how terrible.

Speaking of political realities, while many BDS types and Palestinian activists push for a right for Palestinians who hold the status of being refugees to return to their land and be able to live as citizens, it doesn't follow that we would see Jews in Israel losing all power the same way as whites did in Zimbabwe (mentioned only because it's the worst case scenario talked about). Jews in Israel would still control the military and most or all private institutions as well as holding most positions in the Civil Service. Assuming they went in with the barest minimum of controls on non-Jewish political activity (as in, party voting for laws and constitutional changes in the legislature), the worst case scenario is probably military coup by the IDF before you get to a Zimbabwe situation.

If I was being pessimistic, I'd say you're far more likely to see Israel turning into somewhere like Malaysia if you saw a large influx of Palestinians and Israel become a multi-ethnic state. Now Malaysia's certainly got a lot of issues but genocide isn't really one of them. I'll keep the post single pointed because these threads have a habit of certain posters latching onto a secondary or tertiary point and only responding to that.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that Israeli policy towards the Palestinians is a good thing. The way I understand the argument is this:

The modern history of the middle east has an alarmingly common pattern of disenfranchised groups retaliating against the previously ruling group as soon as they get the levers of power, and attempting to consolidate their power rather than form a representative government. If Israel allowed a Palestinian return in the way most Palestinian activists envision it (it wouldn't be a token number) and allowed Palestinians equal representation, and otherwise stopped its efforts to ensure a Jewish majority, the almost certain outcome would be Jews becoming a political minority within a relatively short timeframe.

Given the almost universally poor treatment and disenfranchisement suffered by minorities in the middle east, (including, yes, in Israel) it is quite reasonable for Jewish Israelis to believe that their rights would not be respected should such a situation come to pass, especially in light of the irredentist and anti-Semitic themes in Palestinian rhetoric.

I think your view is unrealistic and kind of avoids engaging with the issue to the extend of coming to a conclusion.

I say it's unrealistic because I disagree with your assessment.

Based on 8.2 million Israelis with one fifth being arabs and 5 million refugees it's not going to be a short time to get a Jewish minority as you claim. The only way this would come about is with a 100% take-up of the right of return and 100% of the refugees returning to Israel rather than to Palestine. In reality only a fraction of the eligible refugees will return and some of those will be going to the new Palestinian state.

The demographic problem, even with a lot more refugees, is still a long-term one - long enough that if we assume all the demographics remain the same then it corrects itself because the Haredi birth rate of a ridiculous 5.0% outstrips the arab birth rate of 2.2 by far.

Based on the research done into the peace process, the above situation isn't even really a concern though. The ideal moral solution is very different from the pragmatic solutions that have been offfered and that we'll realistically end up with. The right of return is already an area where the Palestinians have shown willingness to compromise massively to achieve peace. In Camp David Arafat was willing to accept a token amount of returnees on the basis that the majority of them would be able to make homes in the newly formed Palestine which would be good enough even if it wasn't what they all wanted.

You keep on saying Palestinian but refugees returning to live in Israel will , by definition, be Israeli and you don't seem to have considered how the Arabs who were part of the British Mandate came to see themselves as Israeli in the first place. They weren't eternally Israeli, they've come to see themselves as Israeli after years of living in a state which is biased against them but still provides a good degree of welfare, protection, opportunity in comparison to neighbouring countries and so they've become absorbed into the consumerist society where they worry about the mortgages and what's on TV and if they're going to order in takeaway or what have you. If you want refugees to assimilate, the answer isn't to separate them out and place restrictions on them and make them leave family members behind because Israel can't trust Arabs. If they are included in Israeli society more fully than the Arabs of '48 and '67, why would their integration be any slower or worse? The only possible reason seems to be because of all the war crimes and other awful actions committed by Israel, which seems to just be yet another good reason for Israel to stop committing them. "This national group might not like us for all the atrocities we're committing against them" is not a reasonable rationale to continue said atrocities.

Arabs are marginalised within Israeli society. Even the US State Department, a government office of Israel's closest ally that is consistently biased in favour of Israel, calls Israel out on this. This is going to be a lot harder with a larger minority of arabs. The real issue isn't "oh no those perfidious Palestinians are trying to take over the state" it's that with a stronger demographic representation they might start to want a non negligible effect on the running of the country, which is actually a perfectly reasonably request. The only way that a civil disorder seems to automatically follow from this is if Israel continues to try to marginalise and discriminate against them even if they made a much more sizeable percentage of the body politic, making it more important to stop this from happening by ensuring in a peace deal that Israel is inclusive and egalitarian (something BDS calls for).

I don't have a problem with this as I don't believe in stripping people of their fundamental rights and I simultaneously hold that refugees should be able to return home and people should be able to democratically decide the future of their country. If this is a problem for anyone then it's one that can easily be solved by a) Israel not trying to steal as much Palestinian land as possible so that when refugees can return home, they'll be returning to the Palestinian state rather than annexed land that is now part of the Israeli states and b) Not using the hypno ray that makes every single refugee decide to return to Israel and then vote for its dissolution which is obviously involved in this scenario for the numbers to make any sense. I think I read in one of the books on the Camp David peace process that about 60% of refugees would consider returning. That was obviously a while ago but I think any expectation that anywhere close to 100% of refugees would return is absurd.

The reason I say you've avoided engaging with it is you've presented these hurdles, but at the same time you haven't presented a suggestion or alternative. What's meant to be the answer if not a right of return. The status quo? That's inherently unreasonable as it relies on an unproven fear of a future threat of violence to allow all of the violence and suffering that is carrying on now to continue. I mean what's the worry. That people will die? That there might be ethnic cleansing? Torture? People imprisoned without trial? denied basic human rights? Your unproven worst case scenario seems to be no worse then what's already happening so I don't think the potential things could not go well should stop us from advocating for people's basic human rights..

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

So you're saying that it is good and justified for Israel to oppress and disenfranchise Palestinians, because if they don't, there's a possibility that it might maybe someday lead to Palestinians oppressing and disenfranchising Jews, which would be horrible and unjustifiable?

The only moral outcome is for nobody to be oppressed, regardless of who is in power. The way to obtain that is with reconciliation and with a strong constitutional framework that prevents the majority (regardless of which group it ends up being) from abusing minorities. Oppression as a tool to prevent oppression is just a convenient lie used by oppressors to justify continuing to oppress even after oppression becomes recognized by the society as a bad thing; its inherent hypocrisy, obvious moral bankruptcy, and built-in implicit racist assumptions render it utterly incapable of sincerity.

Besides, the Palestinian side isn't the only one with groups spewing hateful rhetoric. Just look at this photo!

Just looking at it, what would you think of it? A Hamas militant getting ready to strike? An Arab protester in the midst of a riot? After all, that's clearly a Molotov cocktail in one hand, and if you look real closely, you can see the knife in the other. What other context could that possibly be in?

Well, as it turns out, the person in that photo was Jewish, and it was taken at a loving wedding.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/clip-shows-far-right-wedding-goers-celebrating-dawabsha-killings/

quote:

Footage released on Wednesday showed dozens of young Israeli right-wing extremists, said to be linked to the suspected perpetrators of the Dawabsha family murder, celebrating the killing at a wedding last week. The images in the clip immediately sparked wide condemnation.

The video, aired by Channel 10, shows revelers at the Jerusalem celebration waving knives, rifles, pistols and a Molotov cocktail during the wedding.

Amid the festivities, a photo of baby Ali Dawabsha, who was burned to death in the July 31 firebombing in the West Bank village of Duma, is shown being repeatedly stabbed.

The crowd in the video chants the lyrics of a song which include a verse from Judges 16:28, quoting Samson, blinded in Gaza, saying “let me with one blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes” — but changing the word Philistines to Palestine.

The couple whose wedding was being celebrated was said to be friends of Jewish extremists detained in connection with the firebombing attack.

The attack in Duma on July 31 killed three members of a Palestinian family. Only one member of the Dawabsha family — Ahmed, now 5 — survived the attack, and remains hospitalized in Israel. The 18-month-old baby Ali was killed on the night of the attack, while parents Riham and Saad succumbed to their injuries in the succeeding weeks.

According to the TV report, Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon broadcast the clip to settler leaders a few days ago, to underline that dozens of young extremists are passionately supportive of the alleged Jewish terrorists.

The TV report said the footage was a factor in the stream of statements of support from right-wing leaders for the Shin Bet security service in its battle against Jewish terrorism in the last few days.

According to Haaretz reporter Chaim Levinson on Twitter, the bride was arrested in the past for carrying out an attack against Palestinians, along with the wife of one of the main suspects in the Duma case. She received 350 hours of community service for the crime.

The video was met with harsh condemnation from across the political spectrum.

Minutes after the clip was aired, Zionist Union MK and former foreign minister Tzipi Livni got up before the Knesset and railed against the youngsters in the film, saying “this is the group that wants to destroy the Jewish Israel, to destroy this state from within, to destroy the government from within and sow hate.”

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
"I have told hold this man's head under the water, because if I don't he may hold my head under!"

Meanwhile the best solution to both get the gently caress out of the water.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you justify Israel's oppression of Palestinians, you have to argue either that oppression is justified in and of itself, or that some populations are intrinsically deserving of being oppressed. Spoiler: either reasoning basically makes you Hitler.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, as it turns out, the person in that photo was Jewish, and it was taken at a loving wedding.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/clip-shows-far-right-wedding-goers-celebrating-dawabsha-killings/

I saw that video this morning.

The photo? Its the infant from that arson attack.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

Most harmless stabbing in last 3 months. Boo loving hoo.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lady Morgaga posted:

If they'd been a different shade, dollars to doughnuts there'd be some houses getting bulldozed right now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lady Morgaga posted:

"Oh, they only stabbed a baby in effigy, no big deal"

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Lady Morgaga posted:

Please leave.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lady Morgaga posted:

Yeah. An infant. Get the gently caress out.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah. An infant. Get the gently caress out.

In actual news, two non-photographic humans were stabbed to death in Israel recently

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/world/middleeast/israel-jerusalem-palestinian-stabbing.html?ribbon-ad-idx=7&rref=world/middleeast

quote:

JERUSALEM — Two Palestinian assailants stabbed two Israeli Jews, one fatally, near a normally bustling entrance to the Old City of Jerusalem on Wednesday, and were shot by Israeli border police officers at the scene, the police said.

One of the assailants was killed on the spot; the other died later of his wounds, according to the police.

A third Israeli civilian, identified in the Israeli news media as Ofer Ben-Ari, 46, was taken to a hospital with a gunshot wound and died hours later. The police said he appeared to have been hit by police fire during the attack.

The Israeli who was fatally stabbed was not immediately identified, but an official at the hospital where he died said he was a 45-year-old father of seven.

And in related news
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/world/middleeast/palestinian-rams-car-into-crowd-of-israelis-at-jerusalem-bus-stop.html

quote:

JERUSALEM — A Palestinian resident of East Jerusalem rammed a car into a crowd of Israelis at a Jerusalem bus stop on Monday, according to the Israeli police, injuring about a dozen of them, including an 18-month-old baby.

Just gonna go ahead and point out that anyone who thinks stabbing a picture is worse than stabbing actual people to death is probably a morally loathsome human being.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

And in related news
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/world/middleeast/palestinian-rams-car-into-crowd-of-israelis-at-jerusalem-bus-stop.html

Just gonna go ahead and point out that anyone who thinks stabbing a picture is worse than stabbing actual people to death is probably a morally loathsome human being.

Not going to bother reading the article because it was posted by TIS, but what are the chances that a purely accidental car wreck involving a Palestinian is not going to be interpreted as a terror attack by the Israeli media?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

A Terrible Person posted:

Not going to bother reading the article because it was posted by TIS, but what are the chances that a purely accidental car wreck involving a Palestinian is not going to be interpreted as a terror attack by the Israeli media?
A whole lot of purely accidental car accidents involving palestinians comprise of ramming a bus stop.

The Insect Court posted:

Well it was perfectly innocent picture unlike those vile Zionists that undoubtedly deserved stabbing.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 25, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It was a picture of an actual person who had been burned to death, and ritually stabbing it in effigy was to celebrate this murder, but yeah, it's cool, it's something that sane and reasonable people do.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Insect Court posted:

Well, it would be pretty hard for Jewish extremists to stab that particular baby to death, since it's already been burned to death at the hands of Jewish extremists. It's almost as if incitement, extremist groups, violent rhetoric, and actual violence are not unique attributes of a single ethnic group, but are in fact present on all sides!

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Cat Mattress posted:

It was a picture of an actual person who had been burned to death, and ritually stabbing it in effigy was to celebrate this murder, but yeah, it's cool, it's something that sane and reasonable people do.

I did not call those settlers sane nor reasonable. Stabbing a picture though is very low on the list of things I get outraged about. Actual murders are somewhat higher.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lady Morgaga posted:

I did not call those settlers sane nor reasonable. Stabbing a picture though is very low on the list of things I get outraged about. Actual murders are somewhat higher.

Like the multiple murder they're celebrating?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Baracula posted:

Like the multiple murder they're celebrating?
Yes. And slew of others that those particular people are not celebrating.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Lady Morgaga posted:

Yeah like that family that got burned to death, which they were celebrating.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Condemning these people for celebrating a murder? You have some nerve considering some Palestinians who have nothing to do with it are also murders why aren't you condemning them? - an idiot.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

It's real cool how the new thread already is a mere 5 pages long and a new challenger has appeared in the quest to never, ever have anyone criticize israel on the internet and not be branded an antisemite. Goddamn, drop that poo poo in the social media cesspool where sentences like like

The Insect Court posted:

and

Lady Morgaga posted:

Well it was perfectly innocent picture unlike those vile Zionists that undoubtedly deserved stabbing.

will be welcomed and liked ad infinitum.

It's totally a thing that in this world, when decrying multiple wrongs one must pick one, and only one to get especially froggy about otherwise you're just a hypocrite for thinking two things can be perhaps not equally, but in varying degrees hosed up. Thank.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

It's totally a thing that in this world, when decrying multiple wrongs one must pick one, and only one to get especially froggy about otherwise you're just a hypocrite for thinking two things can be perhaps not equally, but in varying degrees hosed up. Thank.

Are you really going to go this route when the major story in I/P conflict over the past several months have been the stabbings of Israelis? Are we going to pretend that out of the twenty-ish fatalities(and many more casualties) including several very recent ones the fact that the stabbing the usual suspects find time to condemn(and can't fit in any mention of any other) is the stabbing of a picture?

Stabbing a picture is worse than stabbing a person. How on earth can anyone find that an arguable or outrageous statement?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

Are you really going to go this route when the major story in I/P conflict over the past several months have been the stabbings of Israelis? Are we going to pretend that out of the twenty-ish fatalities(and many more casualties) including several very recent ones the fact that the stabbing the usual suspects find time to condemn(and can't fit in any mention of any other) is the stabbing of a picture?

Stabbing a picture is worse than stabbing a person. How on earth can anyone find that an arguable or outrageous statement?

Killing 100 people is worse than killing 20 people. How on earth can anyone find that an arguable or outrageous statement?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Insect Court posted:

Stop arguing against points nobody is even attempting to make.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
People are stabbed, shot, murdered in all sorts of different ways for all sorts of different and stupid reasons, all of the world everyday. Its a Bad Thing(tm)

But CELEBRATING the death of an infant by ritualistically stabbing its image is a whooooole different level of hosed up. Its not like the act of poking a piece of paper with a picture is the actual Bad Thing, and trying to compare it with the above is missing the point, its the glee and festival of doing it, like pissing in urn of some guy's mum. With friends in public. There is a very very nasty mindset at play there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lady Morgaga posted:

Yes. And slew of others that those particular people are not celebrating.

"They are hosed up, but the Palestinians are more hosed up. I have no idea why the Palestinians are so hosed up"

This is a really circular web you are spinning here. Don't forge the fact that while the Israeli Government is a-okay with quickly putting a Palestinian on trial for a legitimate murder, they are dragging their feet as hard as they can, including sending the PA the bill for the infant, and taking their time with the settlers who conducted the attack.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Stop arguing against points nobody is even attempting to make.

That would require anti-Zionists actually acknowledging the existence of Israeli victims of terrorism.

Go do a search at nytimes.com or google news or any other major news site for "israel stabbing" articles from the past three months. Then tell me the only incident even worthy of mention in a thread titled "Of Israel and Palestine" involves the one in which a photograph is being stabbed.

It's just like the meltdown in the last I/P thread over the video of the Palestinian teenager shot while trying to kill Israelis. An ugly display, but one that seemed to provoke an endless outflow of spittle flecked rage from the same posters who reacted with a near total indifference to the killings of Israelis. Hell, I'm not asking for equality here, just a simple plea that this thread not start with a pages long display of dehumanization directed against Israeli Jews. And yes, an intentional effort to ignore the existence of an entire class of (actual dead people) victims in favor of focusing exclusively on a (not alive or dead because a piece of paper) photograph counts.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

That would require anti-Zionists actually acknowledging the existence of Israeli victims of terrorism.

Go do a search at nytimes.com or google news or any other major news site for "israel stabbing" articles from the past three months. Then tell me the only incident even worthy of mention in a thread titled "Of Israel and Palestine" involves the one in which a photograph is being stabbed.

It's just like the meltdown in the last I/P thread over the video of the Palestinian teenager shot while trying to kill Israelis. An ugly display, but one that seemed to provoke an endless outflow of spittle flicked rage from the same posters who reacted with spiteful indifference to the killings of Israelis. Hell, I'm not asking for equality here, just a simple plea that this thread not start with a pages long display of dehumanization directed against Israeli Jews. And yes, an intentional effort to ignore the existence of an entire class of (actual dead people) victims in favor of focusing exclusively on a (not alive or dead because a piece of paper) photograph counts.

This would be effective if you weren't a compulsive liar, and so insisted that this started on page 1. It would also be effective if you didn't ignore 120+ victims of terrorist violence, too.