Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

shimmy shimmy posted:

The US having a law on the books requiring them to veto Palestinian statehood or defund the UN for the past thirty years is definitely a twist I was not expecting, considering how long there's been talk about two state solutions.

It doesn't allow funding if a group is given full membership to the UN that doesn't have the "internationally recognized attributes of statehood." Presumably in the case of a two-state solution Palestine would have those attributes and could be given membership without a problem.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The US conduct in this conflict has highlighted just how hypocritical they are. Along with most other western countries. We will have absolutely no moral ground to criticize human right abuses in the future. As the message is that we and our allies can do whatever we want no matter the human costs.

There is no surprise if the global south, muslim countries and much of Asia are sick of this current world order and are looking for a change.

Of course the west have always been hypocritical but it seems more obvious now. It is shameful.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hryme posted:

The US conduct in this conflict has highlighted just how hypocritical they are. Along with most other western countries. We will have absolutely no moral ground to criticize human right abuses in the future. As the message is that we and our allies can do whatever we want no matter the human costs.

There is no surprise if the global south, muslim countries and much of Asia are sick of this current world order and are looking for a change.

Of course the west have always been hypocritical but it seems more obvious now. It is shameful.

The US hasn't been able to claim such a moral ground since the Cold War started. But it will continue to do so.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Of course there's a law like that, lol. Was it passed on the back of the Oslo Accords? In any case, I bet with a modicum of creative thinking, one could easily argue that Palestine has enough 'internationally recognized attributes of statehood'.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The US hasn't been able to claim such a moral ground since the Cold War started. But it will continue to do so.

Other nations with big enough armies to matter on a world scale are arguably worse, so the US basically occupied the moral least low ground by of countries that can enforce their will on the global scene. Which is still deep down in a canyon.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

The vote's been moved up according to the grauniad live blog:

the guardian posted:

The UN security council is due to vote on Thursday on a Palestinian bid for full UN membership, diplomats said, a move that Israel ally the US is expected to block because it would effectively recognise a Palestinian state, reports Reuters.

The 15-member council had initially been scheduled to vote on the measure on Friday. It will now vote at 5pm EDT (9pm GMT/10pm BST) on Thursday, the diplomats said.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Paladinus posted:

Of course there's a law like that, lol. Was it passed on the back of the Oslo Accords? In any case, I bet with a modicum of creative thinking, one could easily argue that Palestine has enough 'internationally recognized attributes of statehood'.

It's a circular argument because under the relevant international law full UN recognition de jure validates a state as meeting those criteria.

De facto: The requirements are a permanent territory, a permanent population, a government that nominally has authority over that territorial claim, and that that government can conduct international affairs. Note that the government being recognized doesn't need firm or exclusive control of its whole territory claim, though at least some portion must be under it's control (Gaza is not a stumbling block, even if interested parties would claim otherwise, and the settlements are a solvable issue as most states consider them non legitimate claims) states have been admitted while in civil wars, so neither is the existence of Hamas. The lack of recent elections has never mattered. The population is not just passing through. The government of the West bank already conducts international relations, and could assert more control over the territory. Israel's only choices would be war, or capitulation. Additionally being an independent state makes it way simpler for other parties to legally intervene, even if practicaly non of them actually would

So it's likely several very interesting people are being intentionally wrong on the interpretation of the law. Also I know of at least 4 laws that cover this and suspect there are far more. Of those 4 all are either permanently waivable or dissolve automaticaly with full UN recognition. I couldn't find the one referencing Israelis approval being required.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hryme posted:

We will have absolutely no moral ground to criticize human right abuses in the future.

I mean that's not really how it works. Just because the US is lovely in Gaza doesn't mean they're wrong in Ukraine. Just because Russia is lovely in Ukraine doesn't mean they're wrong in Gaza.

It does mean you should take every complaint about human rights abuses with a grain of salt, but typically there is near-universal international criticism of the lovely actor. This doesn't usually actually lead to anything beneficial (see: Tigray, Sudan, Haiti, Myanmar) but honestly with most conflicts, there is a VERY substantial bias one way or the other. Even for Ukraine, the invasion was almost universally condemned.

It's pretty rare to have major conflicts where both parties are ballpark-similarly-at-fault-dickwads (Azerbaijan/Armenia & US/Afghanistan are the only two that spring to mind post-2000; edit: also Yemen-Saudi Arabia, imo at least). Except for Iraq Invasion v2.0, I can't think of other major post-Cold War conflicts where the international community was significantly split in its assessment -- even if this assessment was just useless observation and "thoughts 'n prayers". I mean there probably are some, but Israel carpet bombing Gaza into the dust and still having support from many countries is pretty unusual.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

WarpedLichen posted:

What would being in the UN actually get for Palestine?

Sometimes it's nice to be on the right side of a sternly worded letter.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Barrel Cactaur posted:

It's a circular argument because under the relevant international law full UN recognition de jure validates a state as meeting those criteria.

De facto: The requirements are a permanent territory, a permanent population, a government that nominally has authority over that territorial claim, and that that government can conduct international affairs. Note that the government being recognized doesn't need firm or exclusive control of its whole territory claim, though at least some portion must be under it's control (Gaza is not a stumbling block, even if interested parties would claim otherwise, and the settlements are a solvable issue as most states consider them non legitimate claims) states have been admitted while in civil wars, so neither is the existence of Hamas. The lack of recent elections has never mattered. The population is not just passing through. The government of the West bank already conducts international relations, and could assert more control over the territory. Israel's only choices would be war, or capitulation. Additionally being an independent state makes it way simpler for other parties to legally intervene, even if practicaly non of them actually would

So it's likely several very interesting people are being intentionally wrong on the interpretation of the law. Also I know of at least 4 laws that cover this and suspect there are far more. Of those 4 all are either permanently waivable or dissolve automaticaly with full UN recognition. I couldn't find the one referencing Israelis approval being required.

I mean, just recently the US representative said that the UN Security Council resolution pushing for an immediate ceasefire wasn't binding (and therefore didn't need to be vetoed), even though all Security Council resolutions are binding by default. An obscure law can definitely be interpreted however based on what is seen as more prudent in the moment.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As I understand it the UN already recognises Palestine as a state, since it's status is 'non-member observer state'. This vote is about whether to admit it as a full member of the UN. Notably this would allow Palestine to vote and bring cases before the ICJ.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

I mean there's a strong argument to be made that no portion of Palestine is actually under the PA's control - Israel can just rock up and arrest, evict or otherwise brutalize Palestinians wherever it pleases in the West Bank. I suppose it is possible that the PA "could assert more control over the territory", but I don't see what relevance that has to Palestine's current de facto status as a state, or indeed why Israel might choose to 'capitulate' when it could instead revoke what limitated recognition it has granted the PA and put their members in jail alongside so many other Palestinian political prisoners.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seems like there is a tension between the insistence that the rules-based international order is the alternative to "might makes right" in international affairs, and the rule that says you aren't a part of it if another state occupies your territory with military might.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

nimby posted:

Other nations with big enough armies to matter on a world scale are arguably worse

It would be a pretty lousy argument, but I'd like to see it made in its own thread; the question of what country would be best suited to replacing US hegemony could be interesting.

Paladinus posted:

I mean, just recently the US representative said that the UN Security Council resolution pushing for an immediate ceasefire wasn't binding (and therefore didn't need to be vetoed), even though all Security Council resolutions are binding by default. An obscure law can definitely be interpreted however based on what is seen as more prudent in the moment.

Feels like the mechanics and traditions intended to obfuscate the fact that the 'international order' inherently favors the US have started to collapse.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

nimby posted:

Other nations with big enough armies to matter on a world scale are arguably worse, so the US basically occupied the moral least low ground by of countries that can enforce their will on the global scene. Which is still deep down in a canyon.

I mean anything is arguable, but if you tally it all up since the second world war, the US comes out far ahead of any other country in terms of atrocities committed or sponsored.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Hryme posted:

many are saying the hypocrisy is the worst part

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
America vetoed Palestine becoming a full member state

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

theCalamity posted:

Everyone voted yes except for the US which voted no, and also Switzerland and the UK abstained.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RealityWarCriminal posted:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

theCalamity posted:

And absolutely pathetic reasoning.

quote:

“We completely believe in the two-state solution and a state for the Palestinian people. We believe the best and the most sustainable way to do that is through direct negotiations between the parties,” the White House national security spokesperson, John Kirby, told reporters on board Air Force One on Thursday.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

hadji murad posted:

And absolutely pathetic reasoning.
This has been the line forever, and it will still be the line when the IDF has fully annexed all Palestinian land

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

nimby posted:

Other nations with big enough armies to matter on a world scale are arguably worse

Well why we're going on gut feeling for this, i'd like to say I disagree and the US military is one of the most barbaric and brutal military's in history. I don't think you can actually find worse. If you can think of a war crime it's been done. They do have amazing PR though, AKA control over a globe spanning media empire, so I can understand the confusion.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Oh whatever could the US secretary of state up to?
https://twitter.com/mideastXmidwest/status/1780699444117373390

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well why we're going on gut feeling for this, i'd like to say I disagree and the US military is one of the most barbaric and brutal military's in history. I don't think you can actually find worse. If you can think of a war crime it's been done. They do have amazing PR though, AKA control over a globe spanning media empire, so I can understand the confusion.

All militaries do bad things when engaged in combat, it's more a question of scale. Not that the US didn't do plenty of bad stuff but *waves in the vague direction burma/malaysia/cyprus* so did Britain.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

how do you sanction a military unit?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Nebalebadingdong posted:

us already sanctions Iranian public guard, identified officers are on a watchlist banning banking and entry to allied nations mostly. so I would guess that way. although I think some part of that is under antiterror laws, so maybe different mechanic would be necessary.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

us already sanctions Iranian public guard, identified officers are on a watchlist banning banking and entry to allied nations mostly. so I would guess that way. although I think some part of that is under antiterror laws, so maybe different mechanic would be necessary.

Given the mass graves currently being discovered at Al Shifa I think any rational actor would consider the IDF breaching the anti-terror laws.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well, I guess we're off to the races now. Reports of explosions in Syria, Iraq, and Iran (people have said Isfahan). The Iran strike has been confirmed by a U.S. official

https://abcnews.go.com/International/live-updates/israel-gaza-hamas-war/?id=108860743

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well it appears that Israel launched strikes on targets in Iran a short while ago

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1781128420560126298

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Ignore please.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 19, 2024

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Well, I guess we're off to the races now. Reports of explosions in Syria, Iraq, and Iran (people have said Isfahan). The Iran strike has been confirmed by a U.S. official

https://abcnews.go.com/International/live-updates/israel-gaza-hamas-war/?id=108860743

Where are the news outlets discussing this? Other than this one? Why isn't this already breaking news

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well it appears that Israel launched strikes on targets in Iran a short while ago

How did Israel fly to Iran? I don't think the Israeli Air Force has refueling tankers and every path would require them to fly through airspace of discerning nations.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Young Freud posted:

How did Israel fly to Iran? I don't think the Israeli Air Force has refueling tankers and every path would require them to fly through airspace of discerning nations.

I have bad news about the USAF's complicity in genocide

This tweet looks bad in the current moment of airstrikes on Iraq, Syria and Iran

https://x.com/marcorubio/status/1781135619508285791

cagliostr0 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 19, 2024

Space_Wizard
Dec 21, 2018

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Preventing travel from members associated with that unit to nations undertaking the sanctions,
Placing individual financial sanctions on those members,
Barring friendly military units from cooperating with or undertaking training with that unit,
Conditioning that aid sent to the receiving nation not be passed to the sanctioned unit.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Young Freud posted:

marco rubio is unironically tweeting through it, so including about how Israel can launch strikes from aircraft over Iraq and Syria etc. without entering Iranian airspace

edit: https://x.com/marcorubio/status/1781135619508285791

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Shammypants posted:

Where are the news outlets discussing this? Other than this one? Why isn't this already breaking news

Breaking news takes time to break. This just happened.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Breaking news takes time to break. This just happened.

Someone should inform ABCNews

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Not so fun fact... "sanction" is a contranym - a word that can have two seemingly opposite meanings.

It's the perfect word for diplomatic doublespeak.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Welp.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

They have tankers and the F-15s with drops tanks modified to refuel other fighter jets. I'd... guess they flew north over the Mediterranean and refueled there before flying over Syria and Iraq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Air launched cruise missiles fired from over Iraq & or Syria would make sense, and tie in to the reports of places with air defence locations in Syria being hit.

Shammypants posted:

Someone should inform ABCNews

I'm actually feeling quite dizzy right now, but if you'll hold on I will put you through to the manager of news.