Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1781135282290545014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Shammypants posted:

Someone should inform ABCNews
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bTJyL063S_Q

edit: lol, that live stream started 10 minutes before you posted

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 19, 2024

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Now I guess we see when and what the Iranian counter-counter-counter-response will materialize.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This sucks imo. Not a fan.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Such as?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Not good. :(

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Israeli missile hits Iran, U.S. officials confirm

officials not named but cbs is repeating it

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
So yesterday when it was reported that the white house had reached a deal to allow the idf to invade Rafah on the proviso they didn't attack Iran, effectively saying if you are a good boy and don't start world war 3 you can continue your genocide, presumably this agreement is now void and it should be expected the USA should act in accordance with the requirements of the convention for the prevention of genocide?

Any reasonable person knows the USA will continue enabling Israel so what argument is there that American targets aren't legitimate as part of resolving the current conflict?

Edit: This makes the Rafah deal that was reported even more ludicrous

https://x.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1781149557306401272

cagliostr0 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 19, 2024

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

cagliostr0 posted:

So yesterday when it was reported that the white house had reached a deal to allow the idf to invade Rafah on the proviso they didn't attack Iran, effectively saying if you are a good boy and don't start world war 3 you can continue your genocide, presumably this agreement is now void and it should be expected the USA should act in accordance with the requirements of the convention for the prevention of genocide?

Any reasonable person knows the USA will continue enabling Israel so what argument is there that American targets aren't legitimate as part of resolving the current conflict?

As far as I can tell the only outlet which reported on this was the JPost, which is a terrible rag of a paper. Not that I disagree with your conclusion that the US is going to continue to provide cover even if they do both despite "grave misgivings" or whatever.

Also lmao as if hitting US targets would somehow be on the path to resolving this conflict, there's literally no way that would do anything but further the escalatory spiral.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well it's just a missile strike at least.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Al Jazeera is saying that Isfahan has come under attack in Iran. Isn't that where the Iranians have a nuclear power plant?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Private Speech posted:

As opposed to what?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Private Speech posted:

Thank goodness, was worried there for a second!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TheRat posted:

As opposed to what?

Drones

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Someone said airstrikes earlier, which you could argue includes missiles but if actual aircraft/drones were involved it would be a much bigger escalation.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

You stupid fucks.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Private Speech posted:

Someone said airstrikes earlier, which you could argue includes missiles but if actual aircraft/drones were involved it would be a much bigger escalation.

Depends on the target and scale of the attack, no?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I believe the message from Iran after their demonstration of intent boiled down to "next time you aggress against us anywhere we will repeat this on a grander scale." I don't think there's any meaningful difference between drones, missiles, or a suppressed pistol on a busy street. Israel just militarily struck Iran itself. It's a huge provocation, an invitation to open war even.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 19, 2024

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I believe the message from Iran after their demonstration of intent boiled down to "next time you aggress against us anywhere we will repeat this on a grander scale." I don't think there's any meaningful difference between drones, missiles, or a suppressed pistol on a busy street. Israel just militarily struck Iran itself. It's a huge provocation, an invitation to open war even.

CNN reporters are currently going at length to remind everyone that after Iran launched their salvo at Israel they "considered the matter settled," regardless if any (or all) were shot down or not. The idea of them not responding to this is virtually unthinkable.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Alchenar posted:

The embassy conversation is weird to watch for me because it seems intuitively obvious that it's simultaneously true that under certain conditions an embassy building is totally legitimate to strike (ie. If you are conducting military activity out of it), but also if you are conducting military strikes directly against another country then you have accepted that you are in a shooting war with them.

:agreed:

also, given new news, getting ready for the general middle eastern clusterfuck war, nothing could possibly go wrong here :toot:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
It seems like Israel maybe just launched a few bottle rockets at Iran? If so then maybe they won't really retaliate in any meaningful way and this whole thing will blow over. Maybe.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Do it, push the button, I dare u bitch

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

It seems like Israel maybe just launched a few bottle rockets at Iran? If so then maybe they won't really retaliate in any meaningful way and this whole thing will blow over. Maybe.

Not likely. Israel is unhinged and Iran will be pissed. Escalation time. I feel a bit sick.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fortunately it seems like Iran is in fact backing down.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-missiles-hit-site-iran-abc-news-reports-2024-04-19/

cagliostr0 posted:

Edit: This makes the Rafah deal that was reported even more ludicrous

https://x.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1781149557306401272
I think it's possible this is part of the deal - Israel gets to save face by being seen to respond, but the response is small enough that Iran can let it slide.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IRGC claim to have intercepted all drones launched into Iran; I'm by default skeptical of majority-intercepted claims, but it's daytime in Iran and we've no footage of damage so far.

There's also a lot of mockery from Iranian accounts on twitter, which could be a part of managing expectations; that the attack was so pathetic it doesn't deserve a response. Evades escalation while presenting a dichotomy between both nations' reactions to attacks they claim accomplished nothing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does Iran have an equivalent of Fox News etc that would loudly and publicly call for a retaliation on this retaliation against an unprovoked attack?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Iran have an equivalent of Fox News etc that would loudly and publicly call for a retaliation on this retaliation against an unprovoked attack?

No it's entirely controlled media that will put out the reality that the regime wants to put out.

So similar situation: when Iran launched strikes after Solemani got hit it claimed that it killed hundreds of US servicemen. Nobody put any effort into contradicting that because the regime gets it's win and everyone got off the escalation ladder.

Similarly Iran gets to claim that it's strike did sufficient damage to be retribution and that the return strike did nothing and that can be the end of things.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Alchenar posted:

So similar situation: when Iran launched strikes after Solemani got hit it claimed that it killed hundreds of US servicemen. Nobody put any effort into contradicting that because the regime gets it's win and everyone got off the escalation ladder.

To be fair, that went both ways; US claimed the strikes did nothing, then like, years? Later it turned out that dozens of soldiers at the struck base had coincidentally suffered traumatic brain injuries.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Similarly Iran gets to claim that it's strike did sufficient damage to be retribution and that the return strike did nothing and that can be the end of things.

Hopefully so

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

To be fair, that went both ways; US claimed the strikes did nothing, then like, years? Later it turned out that dozens of soldiers at the struck base had coincidentally suffered traumatic brain injuries.

It was a few months later but while concussion isn't anything to sniff at, 'a few dozen people got headaches' is not the same thing as 'hundreds blown to pieces'. It's also the kind of thing that takes a few weeks to establish who and how many people actually got hurt.

In any case, Iran went ahead and just announced it's damage assessment clearly having not caring what had actually happened, so they can do it again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So if it was just a handful drones, does it mean Israel wanted a token retaliation and nothing more? I guess it's good that everyone's happy with a draw for now.

Interestingly, Iran seems to downplay the strike to the extent of calling it an infiltration rather than an attack directly from Israel.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Fortunately it seems like Iran is in fact backing down.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-missiles-hit-site-iran-abc-news-reports-2024-04-19/

I think it's possible this is part of the deal - Israel gets to save face by being seen to respond, but the response is small enough that Iran can let it slide.

Wasn't there an article a little while ago claiming US requested Iran allow Israel to have a performative retaliation but were rebuked.
Maybe Iran changed their mind.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe they just don't feel like starting WW3 today, which I appreciate.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
counterpoint: humanity was a mistake, return to primordial sludge

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

projecthalaxy posted:

Maybe they just don't feel like starting WW3 today, which I appreciate.

Look this is a really bad time for me can we murder each other's civilization population another time?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

suck my woke dick posted:

counterpoint: humanity was a mistake, return to primordial sludge
turn off your monitor for a pleasant surprise!

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Outrail posted:

Look this is a really bad time for me can we murder each other's civilization population another time?

we kinda in the middle of commiting genocide, call later?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Marenghi posted:

Twitter accounts for Hamas spokespeople made the claim they were setting up speakers with the sounds of children playing to lure in IDF child killers.
At the time it seemed outlandish to the point of being fake, but later Israeli news semi confirmed it, at the least the use of the sounds of children playing, such as that article. Obviously their media don't say what reason Hamas had for using children's sounds versus any other number of sounds they could have used if they only want to draw in soldiers by their curiosity.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20240418-israel-using-drones-to-broadcast-cries-for-help-in-gaza-to-lure-shoot-palestinians/amp/

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

The quoted post seems poorly written, the actual story is Israeli drones broadcasting cries for help to shoot Palestinians who come out to investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Moktaro posted:

The quoted post seems poorly written, the actual story is Israeli drones broadcasting cries for help to shoot Palestinians who come out to investigate.

No, the thing about IDF lured into traps was months ago, the drone thing is more recent.