Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Ahhh, my bad.

Also a shameful snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Satellite images don’t appear to show extensive damage to Iran’s Isfahan air base allegedly targeted by IDF

Extremely interesting that Israel's offensive was so muted. Perhaps the last thing I would expect from the Netanyahu regime in this case would be...prudence.

Which means either:

1. They definitely got a Rafah green light for this.

2. Iran's attack with only 120 ballistic missiles significantly reduced Israel's air defense stockpiles (heard cost up to $1.3Bn for allied defense, and 2 years of production at least for replacing the air defense assets used according to West Points' MWI). The Iranians have some 3,000 ballistic missiles ready to fire, not counting cruise missiles and drones etc.

3. They have hit Iran elsewhere and both sides are silent for internal consumption reasons.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
im guessing that provoking iran is not having the effect netanyahu was hoping for so they are backing away from this bullshit

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I've seen some speculation that Israel used training/inert missiles and that's why we haven't seen any shots of smoke/damage/etc. That Israel felt they had to respond and wanted to show Iran they could easily get around their air defenses, but did it this way so Iran can claim they made a successful defense and won't feel the need to respond.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

I've seen some speculation that Israel used training/inert missiles and that's why we haven't seen any shots of smoke/damage/etc. That Israel felt they had to respond and wanted to show Iran they could easily get around their air defenses, but did it this way so Iran can claim they made a successful defense and won't feel the need to respond.

Theres evidence of a weird missile-simulator called Blue Sparrow being used, but theres another variant of it that is high explosive. But...

The parts recovered seem to be booster-sections, and supposedly the dedicated armed variant doesnt use a booster. So its plausible they used missiles designed to emulate the flight profiles of Iranian TBMs in the attack. Definitely weird and unexpected.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
israel is the most bitchmade country lmao gently caress em all

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Reuters is reporting a large blast at an airbase in Iraq. Interestingly, there is a US Stratotanker in the air over Iraq, as there was around the time of the strike on Iran yesterday.

e: BBcode is hard

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Vorenus posted:

Reuters is reporting a large blast at an airbase in Iraq. Interestingly, there is a US Stratotanker in the air over Iraq, as there was around the time of the strike on Iran yesterday.

e: BBcode is hard

Which country would want to bomb Iraq right now though?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

suck my woke dick posted:

ISIS? Big explosions don’t need to be from air strikes - and Iraq is saying it did not seem to be an air strike / drone strike, or if it was it was a completely invisible missile, rod from God style.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Saladman posted:

ISIS? Big explosions don’t need to be from air strikes - and Iraq is saying it did not seem to be an air strike / drone strike, or if it was it was a completely invisible missile, rod from God style.

Proper Rods from God come it at orbital velocity,(or faster)they aren't invisible just because they have no booster, they shed tons of radiation nearly the whole way down due to the plasma shockwave. You have to have them going so fast most of the material vaporizes on impact, typically by accelerating them above escape velocity outside the atmosphere.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 20, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

suck my woke dick posted:

The better question is "Which country would want to bomb Iranian-backed militias right now?". The obvious answer would be Israel, especially given that they seem to have been talked out of making a significant attack on Iran itself. The US isn't a ridiculous proposition as they did exchange strikes with the Islamic Resistance in Iraq (which as I understand it is heavily linked to the PMF) back in February:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/2/us-launches-strikes-in-response-to-attack-that-killed-troops-in-jordan
But my understanding was that they did in fact stop targeting US troops after this, so unless there's some fresh provocation I'm unaware of the US probably wouldn't want to go poking a group that is currently "behaving".

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 20, 2024

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
What’s the update on the pier?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

theCalamity posted:

David Cameron was in Italy at the G7 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Italy yesterday.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/g7-foreign-ministers-meeting-communiques-april-2024

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Rust Martialis posted:

David Cameron was in Italy at the G7 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Italy yesterday.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/g7-foreign-ministers-meeting-communiques-april-2024

I thought the US was building the pier, not the UK

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

theCalamity posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3754814&pagenumber=666&perpage=40#post538981141

I'm not familiar with the reliability of the Navy Times, but apparently one of the ships suffered a fire onboard and turned back.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

theCalamity posted:

Gimme a minute I’ll check ais

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Both of the PREPOs are drifting near Souda Bay.

Army vessels still alongside in Souda Bay

So all the ships are nearby now. My opinion is that if they aren’t moving by mid next week like Wednesday, that’s it’s time to ask the administration if they still intend move forward to install it and to call them cowards if the answer is no.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1781736713720565847

I do not believe this would be occurring if ProPublica hadn’t released their report that Blinken had been sitting on reports from people in the State Department of documented instances of rape and murder committed by Israeli military units going back even before 10/7.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Nucleic Acids posted:

I do not believe this would be occurring if ProPublica hadn’t released their report that Blinken had been sitting on reports from people in the State Department of documented instances of rape and murder committed by Israeli military units going back even before 10/7.

Some good news, for a change. LOL at this part of the Axios piece:

quote:

"Sanctions must not be imposed on the Israel Defense Forces," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Saturday on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter.

He said the intention to impose the measures as the IDF fights Hamas is the "height of absurdity and a moral low" and that his government will "act by all means against these moves."

Please, by all means, Bibi, act against these moves. Isolate yourself even further.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Majorian posted:

Some good news, for a change. LOL at this part of the Axios piece:

Please, by all means, Bibi, act against these moves. Isolate yourself even further.

He posted that an hour after this one, but not in English
https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/1781752374865854548

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The question is whether these sanctions will hold and not end up being rescinded like the ones they put on the West Bank settlers

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The question is whether these sanctions will hold and not end up being rescinded like the ones they put on the West Bank settlers

Which sanctions were rescinded? Some at least are apparently still in place, and they announced new ones yesterday:

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration on Friday imposed sanctions on two entities accused of fundraising for extremist Israel settlers already sanctioned, as well as the founder of an organization whose members regularly assault Palestinians.

The Treasury Department announcement comes as the West Bank has seen some of its worst violence perpetrated by extremist settlers against Palestinians since the war in nearby Gaza began.

There is also friction between President Joe Biden and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, whose far-right government has reacted angrily to previous sanctions imposed against West Bank settlers.

Included in the Friday sanctions are two entities — Mount Hebron Fund and Shlom Asiraich — accused of raising funds for sanctioned settlers Yinon Levi and David Chai Chasdai.

Both men were previously sanctioned by the Biden administration for violently attacking Palestinians in the West Bank.

https://apnews.com/article/gaza-israel-west-bank-war-settlers-sanctions-3d1a6595f7c4cecaa42de7901c81c752

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Which sanctions were rescinded? Some at least are apparently still in place, and they announced new ones yesterday:

https://apnews.com/article/gaza-israel-west-bank-war-settlers-sanctions-3d1a6595f7c4cecaa42de7901c81c752

All of them, essentially.

quote:

The US informed Israel this week that the Biden administration’s sanctions against violent settlers are not intended to compel Israeli banks to close the accounts of targeted individuals, an Israeli official told The Times of Israel.

The clarification, sent in a letter from the US Treasury Department to the Bank of Israel and obtained by The Times of Israel, is intended to cool anger from Israel’s treasury chief over the fact that sanctioned individuals had lost access to local banking services, due to fears of violating the US penalties.

Several major banks froze the accounts of those slapped with sanctions by US President Joe Biden’s administration earlier this year after the White House determined that the Israeli government was systematically failing to clamp down on settler violence.

Article here.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

shimmy shimmy posted:

All of them, essentially.

Article here.

quote:

According to the US clarification, those named in the sanctions should still be allowed to access their bank accounts for basic sustenance purposes. Purchases beyond this scope, including foreign transactions will remain barred, the letter noted, giving Israeli banks the nod to partially re-open the accounts of the handful of settlers targeted, according to the Israeli official.

So, no, certainly not all of them.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

tagesschau posted:

So, no, certainly not all of them.

It's a little more complicated than that -

quote:

We would consider the following types of basic living expenses and subsistence payments to be
within the scope of this guidance: food; medical care and associated health insurance; childcare;
basic housing; basic education; basic transportation; medical care and insurance; utilities; funeral
expenses; and taxes or fees paid to the Israeli government.

It does explicitly cut them off from crowdfunding, and it remains to be seen how the US will interact with the banks if they let the settlers kind of just do whatever except throw up a GoFundMe, but you're right about your main point. I had misremembered the details of the decision and conflated it with some of the Israeli Finance Minister's statements last month, so I just skimmed the article to confirm it contained what I thought it did but didn't fully reread it. I was being too glib, so I apologize for that.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

He posted that an hour after this one, but not in English
https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/1781752374865854548

I don't understand how people see this and don't feel gross

Neat Bee
Apr 17, 2024

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't understand how people see this and don't feel gross

Any lingering questions have been soundly put to bed, genocide is bipartisan. Absolutely vile government.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Every day it gets worse. This is horrifying.

quote:

Nearly 200 bodies found in mass grave at hospital in Gaza’s Khan Younis

Palestinian authorities say 180 bodies recovered from Nasser Medical Complex so far as Israel continues deadly attacks on Gaza.

Palestinian civil defence crews have uncovered a mass grave inside the Nasser Medical Complex in Gaza’s Khan Younis, with 180 bodies recovered so far, Al Jazeera has learned, as Israel has continued bombardment of the devastated coastal enclave for more than six months.

The discovery on Saturday, and continuing into Sunday, comes after the Israeli military withdrew its troops from the southern city on April 7. Much of the Khan Younis is now in ruins after months of relentless Israeli bombardment and heavy fighting.

“In the hospital courtyard, civil defence members and paramedics have retrieved 180 bodies buried in this mass grave by the Israeli military. The bodies include elderly women, children and young men,” Al Jazeera’s Hani Mahmoud reporting from Khan Younis said on Sunday.

In a statement late on Saturday, Palestinian emergency services said: “Our teams continue their search and retrieval operations for the remaining martyrs in the coming days as there are still a significant number of them.”

Israel kills 18 children in Rafah

Meanwhile, Israeli strikes in the coastal enclave are ongoing, including on the southern Gaza city of Rafah, where overnight raids killed 22 people, including 18 children, health officials said on Sunday.

The first strike on early on Sunday morning killed a man, his wife and their three-year-old child, according to the nearby Kuwaiti Hospital, which received the bodies. The woman was pregnant, and the doctors managed to save the baby, the hospital said.

Israel has carried out near daily air raids on Rafah, where more than half of Gaza’s population of 2.3 million has sought refuge from fighting elsewhere.

The second strike killed 17 children and two women, all from the same family, according to hospital records. An air strike in Rafah the night before killed nine people, including six children.

Al Jazeera’s Hani Mahmoud reporting from Rafah said the threats of a looming ground invasion in Rafah were “growing”.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/4/21/nearly-200-bodies-found-in-mass-grave-at-hospital-in-gazas-khan-younis

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
A middling number (40ish?) house Democrats voted against the Israel component, so that's nice I guess. The non deranged argument for the package as a whole (several bills stapled together such that if they don't all pass at once they fail / go back for conference editing, to my understanding) is essentially:

- Ukraine is in immediate and dire need
- cutting Ukraine aid is going to have a lot more effect on Ukraine than cutting Israel aid will have on Israeli actions
- most of the Israel aid in the bill is for Iron Dome et al, which is whatever morally speaking. Shame about the other ammunition aid
- also the Taiwan aid, miscellaneous supplemental domestic funding, and tiktok divestment, I guess

Even the Democrats with the good vote on the Israel part were unable or unwilling to torpedo the "glue" and delay or collapse the bill.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Goatse James Bond posted:

- most of the Israel aid in the bill is for Iron Dome et al, which is whatever morally speaking.

Giving Israel money, or giving Israel anything at all period, is very bad. It means they're able to continue funding other things and running their state. Israel existing is violence.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Does sanctioning a particular battalion not imply that the IDF has lost control of that battalion? I know it's some politicking bs, but responsibility in the military goes directly to the top. If some unit has done some poo poo dire enough to be sanctioned you should be sanctioning all the way up. Units are not independent.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

I literally just saw a photo on Twitter of a corpse dug out of a mass grave at Nasser hospital in surgical scrubs with its hands clearly cuffed or tied behind its back.

But things like this will not get air time because the American media is obsessed with “antisemitism on college campuses,” with a good chunk more or less openly demanding Kent State 2 happen at Columbia via calls for the National Guard to be sent in.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 22, 2024

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

I literally just saw a photo on Twitter of a corpse dug out of a mass grave at Nasser hospital in surgical scrubs with its hands clearly cuffed or tied behind its back.

But things like this will not get air time because the American media is obsessed with “antisemitism on college campuses,” with a good chunk more or less openly demanding Kent State 2 happen at Columbia via calls for the National Guard to be sent in.

The Guardian picked up the baby born to a dead mother but not the mass graves.

I think other big outlets reported neither.

I wonder how much is not wanting to know, or bias towards Israel, or bitterness towards journalists on the ground doing a better job than western orgs could ever do.

It’s a complete failure of the western media, and they don’t deserve our trust ever again.

Remember the next time they are urging military intervention.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Speaking of Western media, I guess it's obvious why they wouldn't put them on the nightly news like the anti war protests in Moscow, but is there anyone reporting on like pro-peace rallies by Israeli citizens? I at least want to assume not everyone likes living in the world's most famous murder factory.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

hadji murad posted:

The Guardian picked up the baby born to a dead mother but not the mass graves.

I think other big outlets reported neither.

I wonder how much is not wanting to know, or bias towards Israel, or bitterness towards journalists on the ground doing a better job than western orgs could ever do.

It’s a complete failure of the western media, and they don’t deserve our trust ever again.

Remember the next time they are urging military intervention.

I see it reported pretty widely (E: even though it's obvious, since links are about mass graves, absolutely :nws: and :nms:)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f085ced9b0ba3a7

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-troops-storm-back-into-eastern-khan-younis-bodies-recovered-hospital-2024-04-22/
(Reuters, admittedly, doesn't have it in the headline, so it's easy to miss, but the article covers the destruction outside of the hospital, too)

https://www.france24.com/en/middle-east/20240422-scores-bodies-found-in-mass-graves-unearthed-at-hospital-in-gaza-khan-younis

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/dozens-of-bodies-exhumed-from-mass-graves-at-gaza-s-nasser-hospital-209449541862

Even by Daily Mail (with obvious caveats).
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13333661/gaza-claims-mass-grave-khan-yunis-raided-israeli-forces.html

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 22, 2024

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

That’s good to know. Guess it’s been picked up after the Al Jazeera reports.

Still not up on the NYT as far as I can see.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

Does sanctioning a particular battalion not imply that the IDF has lost control of that battalion? I know it's some politicking bs, but responsibility in the military goes directly to the top. If some unit has done some poo poo dire enough to be sanctioned you should be sanctioning all the way up. Units are not independent.
Pretty standard to pretend that war crimes committed by a unit are just a few low-ranking scapegoats.

Nobody above E-6 got criminal charges for Abu Ghraib
A lieutenant colonel was court martialed for non-criminal charges and acquitted of everything
A colonel received non-judicial punishment of paying a fine
The 1-star general commanding the prison was demoted

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

None of them seem to cover the report of the person in scrubs with their hands bound.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Marenghi posted:

None of them seem to cover the report of the person in scrubs with their hands bound.

As far as I can tell, this information comes from the rescuers Al Jazeera spoke to, but it hasn't been visually or otherwise confirmed by them yet (at least they haven't commented on the photo mentioned by Nucleic Acids, although I also haven't seen the photo myself, so maybe I missed something). I don't doubt Al Jazeera's reporting, and one of the reasons I recommended Al Jazeera was that locals are more likely to speak to their journalists openly, plus they simply have more journalists on the ground. At the same time, if The Guardian or NBC weren't told the same by the people they spoke to and they also haven't seen it themselves, you get what you get. When the claim is echoed by a Gazan official or by an international organisation, I'm sure we'll see it reported. France 24, for example, cites Mahmud Bassal, spokesman for the civil defence agency, and it doesn't look like he mentioned bodies with hands tied behind their backs elsewhere either, and my guess is he simply was unaware of the reports at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...re_iOSApp_Other

Surprising absolutely no one, there is absolutely no proof for UNRWA connections with terrorism other than "trust us bro"