Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't see what any of that has to do with I/P

Yes people can feel however they want, if you feel a connection to Ireland because your family had roots there and you keep in touch with extended family from there, that's your right. It's also your right to feel a deep connection to Ireland because you're an Irelaboo who just became enamored with it on your own.

So what, that has nothing to do with current events in Israel, a country that is acting on it with violence. It's practically a nothing statement. People can't tell each other not to feel a certain way. Okay so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Normally, I wouldn't reply if I have nothing additional to add but I feel in this case I should so here goes:

I really enjoyed all the responses and think the discussion is really interesting. I'm not completely comfortable with the diaspora thing because of how easily it can be co-opted, but I see where people are coming from in arguing for it. The "lost in time and space" argument is especially interesting/compelling.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
his point was cluttering up the thread with stupid arguments whenever israel or america does really bad stuff in the news. This is the third time he’s argued about nothing then disappeared directly after

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipmyseashells posted:

his point was cluttering up the thread with stupid arguments whenever israel or america does really bad stuff in the news. This is the third time he’s argued about nothing then disappeared directly after

Who is "he"?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Butter Activities posted:

Okay what actually is your point in all this? What is any of this about? What ultimate point relevant to anything we’re talking about right now is it important that we quibble over the nature of historical ethnic claims to land with you?

Writers and essayists squirt giant clouds of ink for the same reason squids do: to distract and confuse. I was reading through his posts for a while and most were belabored, multi-paragraph just-asking-questions diatribes that oscilate between pseudo-academic wanking "but what is a people, anyway?" and "ethnostates are cool and good, actually", depending on how much good faith you ascribe.

I mean, we're at the mass grave stage of this debacle. I'm not saying everyone should go out and break things, but after a certain point this fake high-minded debate pervert diatribes become either malicious or tone-deaf.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

VitalSigns posted:

Okay what actually is your point in all this? What is any of this about? What ultimate point relevant to anything we’re talking about right now is it important that we quibble over the nature of historical ethnic claims to land with you?

the goal is to produce bloated word salad and provoke pointless discussions distracting people from yet another israeli war crime.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Raenir is many things but I don’t think they’re a paid hasbara agent or whatever lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

fool of sound posted:

Raenir is many things but I don’t think they’re a paid hasbara agent or whatever lol

Yeah hasbara tends to be much short and to the point if little nothing else

Raenir Salazar posted:

So part of this is its about people as a group, and not about you the individual. You might not care, but others might. I vaguely feel a calling to Manitoba because I'm part Metis, and being descended from Louis Riel is a part of my family history. Maybe you don't have the sort of family traditions or context where it makes sense to you, but I think the important thing here is being open to the way others might feel differently; especially people who regularly do communal activities like going to gatherings like a church or community centers where people mingle with other people with the same traditions.

Like many nations have community outreach centers in various ethnic enclaves, China with Chinatowns for example; where the overseas community, the Chinese diaspora for example, still maintain regular contact with friends and relatives with the PRC and vice versa. Recently you had riots in Japan between the overseas Armenian and Turkish communities who still very clearly despite settling in Japan felt very strong ties to their homelands.

Of course as I said, just having a claim doesn't mean you have the "right" to use violence in trying to deepen your ties or act on them in some or whatever manner, I dunno how many times I've said this or have to say this.

The point I am saying is that it is in fact reasonable for a group of people to say that they view Scotland as your homeland, if you identify that way, and if you want to move to scotland or visit random people aren't really credibly able to say you shouldn't hold that belief or act on it in of course non-violent ways. Scotland and Ireland are interesting examples because of British Imperialism probably displacing people against their will and there's probably some families around the world who still pass down bitter feelings about the British, that feeling as an example, of being wronged, and more generally that connection is valid to hold onto.

It's not really about "vibes" or arbitrary ancestors but what could be reasonably construed as deeply held cultural and communal beliefs and I'm not saying this justifies violence in pursuit of it.

e:

You can click on the quote chain to refer back to the original post being responded to.

And the "why" of it, I just disagree with it and think its unhelpful? I'm not sure there needs to be anything "about" this? Lives aren't on the line in an online discussion forum.

e2:

See above, I'm not sure how you can say there's no claim to I/P in this discussion when it was clearly a claim relating to the I/P conflict that prompted the discussion, you'll have to explain to me why you don't see a connection there.

And therefore…. what? What is the actual thesis or point of view you’re arguing for?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mods, can we add "Don't use more than one semi-colon in a sentence" to the rules?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

the goal is to produce bloated word salad and provoke pointless discussions distracting people from yet another israeli war crime.

skipmyseashells posted:

Sephyr posted:

Writers and essayists squirt giant clouds of ink for the same reason squids do: to distract and confuse. I was reading through his posts for a while and most were belabored, multi-paragraph just-asking-questions diatribes that oscilate between pseudo-academic wanking "but what is a people, anyway?" and "ethnostates are cool and good, actually", depending on how much good faith you ascribe.

I mean, we're at the mass grave stage of this debacle. I'm not saying everyone should go out and break things, but after a certain point this fake high-minded debate pervert diatribes become either malicious or tone-deaf.

I thought it was a thoughtful set of posts that started in response to the statement that using the word "diaspora" was playing into Zionism.

He kept getting challenged on it, and so continued to respond and discuss and clarify even when some of the challenges were pretty blatant misrepresentations/misunderstandings like cat botherer's.

I would far rather read those kinds of posts than this kind of drive-by garbage accusation of bad faith, or framing it as somehow trying to distract from Israeli war crimes.

If you have a specific accusation rather than just a poo poo post, make it, and let's discuss that.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Morning Joe's the show that Biden watches and trusts a ton, right?

His relationship to it is basically the exact same as that of Trump and Fox and Friends.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fool of sound posted:

So have you changed your mind about your support for the partition then?

e: as a reminder this is where we were when you vanished from the thread

Well technically there is no contradiction between believing that people with collective racial feelings of deep ancestral connections to a land don't have he right to seize and dispose of it by force, but a colonial empire that conquered the territory from a defeated enemy in World War 1 on the other hand, does ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 24, 2024

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Anyway I think you might be interested in Shaul Maggid's "Necessity of Exile" which is his own take on these questions.

If anybody would like another really interesting and accessible book on the historical realities of how the Jewish diaspora was formed and how myths about exile have come to influence Israeli identity, I'd highly recommend Shlomo Sands' The Invention of the Jewish People.

Basically, Israeli culture has obscured the twin realities that the historical expulsion of the inhabitants of what is today Israel in ancient history has been heavily exaggerated and that Judaism was a proselytizing religion for much of the Second Temple period and beyond. Much of the diaspora, especially outside of the bounds of the Roman Empire (i.e. Ashkenazi populations), probably grew from communities that were converted to Judaism. This makes it effectively impossible to neatly delineate issues of ancestry when it comes to Israeli identity.

Separately, I've always thought that an interesting thought experiment that helps to clarify how insoluble this kind of debate is is the case of the Roma. Let's say that in the wake of the Holocaust the UN decided that the Roma were to be granted a homeland akin to Israel. Where would it be? Presumably somewhere in the borders of modern Pakistan, but how would you define its borders? And who would have a right to live there? Roma, Sinti, and others who speak some form of Romani language, sure; but what about Irish travellers and other groups who are "Roma adjacent"?

The moment you try to work these things out you run up against the fundamental contradictions of the nation-state.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I don't see what any of that has to do with I/P

Yes people can feel however they want, if you feel a connection to Ireland because your family had roots there and you keep in touch with extended family from there, that's your right. It's also your right to feel a deep connection to Ireland because you're an Irelaboo who just became enamored with it on your own.

So what, that has nothing to do with current events in Israel, a country that is acting on it with violence. It's practically a nothing statement. People can't tell each other not to feel a certain way. Okay so?
I agree - the present day conflict is far less related to the legitimacy of the establishment of Israel in 1948 than it is about Israel continuing to occupy, annex and commit abuses on land it captured in 1967. Israel supporters (not that I'm accusing anyone in the current discussion of secretly being one) would much rather have a debate on whether there should be a Jewish state in the abstract or the practicalities of whether Israel should continue to exist, rather than have to defend its specific actions in Palestine which are almost completely indefensible.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
NYU decided to build an apartheid plywood wall around their campus.

https://twitter.com/ArielleLAngel/status/1782766565072486878

https://twitter.com/palyouthmvmt/status/1782815930457673873

Have we considered that university admins are deep cover pro-Palestinians? Because this action seems literally perfect for creating a lasting movement against Israel in college campuses

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MeinPanzer posted:

If anybody would like another really interesting and accessible book on the historical realities of how the Jewish diaspora was formed and how myths about exile have come to influence Israeli identity, I'd highly recommend Shlomo Sands' The Invention of the Jewish People.

I'd note that Sands' work is controversial at best - among other things, he endorses the Khazar hypothesis of Ashkenazi ancestry, a theory that lacks any real evidence and which is strongly linked to antisemitic conspiracy theories. It's probably not a work that you should rely on for understanding Jewish history and identity.

A big flaming stink posted:

NYU decided to build an apartheid plywood wall around their campus.

https://twitter.com/ArielleLAngel/status/1782766565072486878

https://twitter.com/palyouthmvmt/status/1782815930457673873

Have we considered that university admins are deep cover pro-Palestinians? Because this action seems literally perfect for creating a lasting movement against Israel in college campuses

...we're crossing the line into parody now. Will there be military checkpoints and settlements as well?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Angry Salami posted:

I'd note that Sands' work is controversial at best - among other things, he endorses the Khazar hypothesis of Ashkenazi ancestry, a theory that lacks any real evidence and which is strongly linked to antisemitic conspiracy theories. It's probably not a work that you should rely on for understanding Jewish history and identity.

His discussion of the Khazar hypothesis is the one main weakness of the book, but from my recollection reading it (this was over a decade ago, to be honest), he doesn't lean too heavily on it. As someone who teaches about Jewish history, I can attest that his treatment of the other ancient evidence is solid. His main point--which is often forgotten or actively suppressed by modern Zionists--is that many modern Jews, especially Ashkenazi Jews, are the ancestors of individuals who became Jewish as a result of proselytisation and conversion (questionable Khazar hypothesis aside).

Sands' book still remains the only accessible, relatively mainstream one I know of that takes on the knotty question of the formation of the Jewish diaspora and how myths relating to it are circulated in Israeli culture.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Debating ancestral connections is also a red herring, because Israel's law of return also applies to converts to Judaism, such as Afrikaner settlers in the West Bank, so the right to live in Israel seems to be less about deep historical and ancestral roots in the land (since it doesn't apply to Muslims), and more about willingness to support the political establishment of a religious-based ethnostate and to take part in the colonial project.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Arab/Palestinian converts are much less likely to be allowed to immigrate iirc

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Religious converts of any type are pretty rare in Israel. But, most of the Jews living there are Arabs from surrounding MENA countries.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

MeinPanzer posted:

Basically, Israeli culture has obscured the twin realities that the historical expulsion of the inhabitants of what is today Israel in ancient history has been heavily exaggerated and that Judaism was a proselytizing religion for much of the Second Temple period and beyond. Much of the diaspora, especially outside of the bounds of the Roman Empire (i.e. Ashkenazi populations), probably grew from communities that were converted to Judaism. This makes it effectively impossible to neatly delineate issues of ancestry when it comes to Israeli identity.

Separately, I've always thought that an interesting thought experiment that helps to clarify how insoluble this kind of debate is is the case of the Roma. Let's say that in the wake of the Holocaust the UN decided that the Roma were to be granted a homeland akin to Israel. Where would it be? Presumably somewhere in the borders of modern Pakistan, but how would you define its borders? And who would have a right to live there? Roma, Sinti, and others who speak some form of Romani language, sure; but what about Irish travellers and other groups who are "Roma adjacent"?

The moment you try to work these things out you run up against the fundamental contradictions of the nation-state.

How does that align with the fact that Jewish populations are genetically closer to each other (including Europeans, middle Eastern and north African Jews) than they are to any of the locals populations? (and if I'm not mistaken, after that they're most related to Palestinians).

It elicits the Khazar hypothesis and people yelling about how jews in Israel should go back to Poland or whatever.

Either way, I don't think it has much bearing on the IP issue. The Israelis are there and the Palestinians are there and we gotta make deal with what we have while reconciling with the bloody past. No one has a birthright to live anywhere but no one has the right to move or take over other people's homes either.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Morning Joe's the show that Biden watches and trusts a ton, right?

Hell no,

Joe Scarborough is a former GOP congressman and Galloway is a internet-hype-train idiot who really ought to be ignored but overconfidently throws out over confident ultimatums that play well on social media.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gucci Loafers posted:

Hell no,

Joe Scarborough is a former GOP congressman and Galloway is a internet-hype-train idiot who really ought to be ignored but overconfidently throws out over confident ultimatums that play well on social media.

Biden is apparently obsessed with the show.

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/02/biden-obsession-morning-joe-msnbc-media

quote:

During the day, Biden has long asked his staff whether they saw a story, a poll, or a segment that had been on the show. He's included show regulars in off-the-record conversations with policy experts.
Biden pays particular attention to — and has consulted with — "Morning Joe" regulars such as longtime reporter Mike Barnicle, foreign policy expert Richard Haass and historian Jon Meacham, who has assisted on several Biden speeches.

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

Gucci Loafers posted:

Hell no,

Nah it is in fact Morning Joe sorry.

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/02/biden-obsession-morning-joe-msnbc-media

Whoops beaten.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Both of the PREPOs are drifting near Souda Bay.

Army vessels still alongside in Souda Bay

So all the ships are nearby now. My opinion is that if they aren’t moving by mid next week like Wednesday, that’s it’s time to ask the administration if they still intend move forward to install it and to call them cowards if the answer is no.

Where are they at now?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

:asoiaf:

Well. gently caress, I'll take the L on this one. I can't stand day time news, it's too generic to be useful especially when they're inviting awful internet personas.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/yoavgallant/status/1783108301829423552

These people should have been removed the way we removed South Vietnam's corrupt Presidency. Threatening American children, what's next for these psychos?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Morning Joe especially is the worst example of #Resistance performative hashtag liberalism, which is deeply ironic considering the active role Joe and Mika Brzenzenski played in hyping up Trump's 2016 electoral bid.

Nonsense posted:

These people should have been removed the way we removed South Vietnam's corrupt Presidency.

I guess it's an improvement that Gallant didn't call them human animals. And he's what passes for a moderate in Israeli politics.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nonsense posted:

These people should have been removed the way we removed South Vietnam's corrupt Presidency. Threatening American children, what's next for these psychos?

Accusations of terrorism while supporting an active genocide. How do people not see right through this?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

MeinPanzer posted:

I would be deeply suspicious if the UN had made a proposal to give the Roma (or gay holocaust survivors or anybody) their own homeland. The whole idea feels like Liberia or moving people onto a reservation, I'm immediately suspicious about the underlying motives.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Nonsense posted:

Probably receiving more billions of dollars and weapons and unflinching support and legal protection from the government nominally protecting those kids, I'd assume.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

h_double posted:

I would be deeply suspicious if the UN had made a proposal to give the Roma (or gay holocaust survivors or anybody) their own homeland. The whole idea feels like Liberia or moving people onto a reservation, I'm immediately suspicious about the underlying motives.

Gay people have a long standing historical claim to Greater Fire Island. The territory is currently unused, no country on earth recognizes “Suffolk County” as a nation.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

kiminewt posted:

How does that align with the fact that Jewish populations are genetically closer to each other (including Europeans, middle Eastern and north African Jews) than they are to any of the locals populations? (and if I'm not mistaken, after that they're most related to Palestinians).

It elicits the Khazar hypothesis and people yelling about how jews in Israel should go back to Poland or whatever.

I'm not going to dive into this in detail because it's very complicated, but a lot of those genetic studies about Ashkenazi communities that have been widely publicized in the popular media are deeply flawed. My understanding is that, on balance, much of the genetic similarity can be accounted for by the insularity of a lot of Ashkenazi communities over 1000-1500 years of history.

h_double posted:

That's the whole point of the thought experiment, because a lot of people don't think about Israel that way.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Gay people have a long standing historical claim to Greater Fire Island. The territory is currently unused, no country on earth recognizes “Suffolk County” as a nation.
There are several tribes that’d like a word about that proposition

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm not going to dive into this in detail because it's very complicated, but a lot of those genetic studies about Ashkenazi communities that have been widely publicized in the popular media are deeply flawed. My understanding is that, on balance, much of the genetic similarity can be accounted for by the insularity of a lot of Ashkenazi communities over 1000-1500 years of history.

I think the better takeaway is that a large proportion (likely a majority) of Ashkenazi DNA is from admixture with other populations in Europe. To be blunt, there's a reason why my grandfather, mother, and brother have blue eyes, and it's not because there was some spontaneous mutation a few generations back.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

theCalamity posted:

Where are they at now?

Lopez looks to still be drifting.

ROY P.BENAVIDEZ looks to have turned off its AIS on Monday. Destination was changed to “NIRVANA”. This one has a bunch of the pontoons. To know what is going on with it one would need satellite images, or to see it/ show it on radar on another vessel in the area. States know and the AIS companies know because they have satellites. Folks nearby listening to radio communications probably know. There’s too many vessels in the Med to keep it a real secret.

Army boats are still moored.

Stars and Stripes is reporting in line with what I see here:

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2024-04-23/gaza-temporary-pier-israel-war-famine-pentagon-13637141.html

““All the necessary vessels are within the Mediterranean region and standing by … to begin construction when we’re given the order to do that,” he said. “There is a process and procedure that will have to be followed … and our planners have worked through the details of all the things one would expect [but] we’re on track at this point to implement that operational capability” in the coming weeks.”

So what does that mean…

The Benavidez is probably headed out to start on the off shore floating pier. I think they need the army vessels to do the causeway pier and jetty.

This probably has the clearest drawing of how it all is supposed to work I’ve seen in the news.

https://www.barrons.com/news/jlots-the-us-army-s-temporary-port-system-59ef2619

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

h_double posted:

Liberia is such a great example of how the material pressures of a colony turn you into a colonizer even if you were previously oppressed and therefore "should" know from personal experience that it's wrong.

Like your average Americo-Liberian settler in the 1800s or whatever was probably a nice person and fine upstanding member of the community who would be appalled at the idea of stabbing their neighbor across the street and taking his wallet. But if you take them and say "here's your new homeland you're free, btw the land is stolen from local people who way outnumber you" and welp we see what happens when their prosperity is now dependent on keeping that land and therefore keeping all political power to themselves.

Israel is based on the same fundamental idea and it was only ever going to end up one way

Or look at America. The only reason we can finally afford to grant native americans full political rights, and stuff like complete freedom to leave the reservations and move back to Manhattan (if they can afford the housing costs) is because the settler project was completely successful and indigenous people are so wildly outnumbered that the need for formal legalized apartheid and mass murder is past.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Was Liberia even properly colonized? I thought the Black American's the US sent over there was a tiny amount in proportion to the indigenous, and of those many died from tropical diseases.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Lum_ posted:

Morning Joe especially is the worst example of #Resistance performative hashtag liberalism, which is deeply ironic considering the active role Joe and Mika Brzenzenski played in hyping up Trump's 2016 electoral bid.

I guess it's an improvement that Gallant didn't call them human animals. And he's what passes for a moderate in Israeli politics.

Thanks for reminding me the cohost is the nepo-hire daughter of the architect of operation cyclone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Was Liberia even properly colonized? I thought the Black American's the US sent over there was a tiny amount in proportion to the indigenous, and of those many died from tropical diseases.
Depends what you mean by "properly". If you mean wiping out most of the natives and gaining numerical superiority with massive immigration like America then no.

If you mean controlling most of the wealth and keeping all political power in the hands of the settler minority like in South Africa or Rhodesia, then yes. Well until they couldn't keep the unrest from boiling over anymore and the government collapsed of course.

Lot of similarities to Israel and the Occupied Territories. Of course Israel has gerrymandered and ethnic cleansed their way to a Jewish majority in Israel proper, but it's an Arab majority if you include all the territory Israel controls. Thus they have the same problems Rhodesia or South Africa (which also tried to gerrymander a white majority by declaring bantustans foreign countries under their control) did. And of course guys like Netanyahu obviously have an America or Australia situation as their end goal, after which apartheid will no longer be necessary.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 24, 2024