Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Marenghi posted:

Was Liberia even properly colonized? I thought the Black American's the US sent over there was a tiny amount in proportion to the indigenous, and of those many died from tropical diseases.

I think the influence they had was pretty big just given the names of a lot of people in Liberia, I think it's still generally preferred and tied to elite status to be seen as a descendant of the Libero-Americans.

Libero-Americans mixed with Liberians and had far less offical and unoffical sanctions against mixing, much more I think than in South Africa or Israel though I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Whoops No Accountability!

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-798449

quote:

The US is unlikely to impose sanctions on the Netzah Yehuda Battalion, at least not in the meantime, Ynet reported Wednesday afternoon, citing Israeli officials.

So what’s the next broken promise of accountability gonna be?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

quote:

However, Reuters foreign policy reporter Humeyra Pamuk reported on Wednesday afternoon that the sanctions are still set to be issued in the coming days, citing official sources.

i wouldn't be particularly surprised if the white house ended up reversing course yet again, but seems like a lot of ambiguity at the moment. biden proved pretty decisively that you can confidently declare that the other government is definitely going to do something and be very wrong

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Butter Activities posted:

I think the influence they had was pretty big just given the names of a lot of people in Liberia, I think it's still generally preferred and tied to elite status to be seen as a descendant of the Libero-Americans.

Libero-Americans mixed with Liberians and had far less offical and unoffical sanctions against mixing, much more I think than in South Africa or Israel though I could be wrong.

I only know a little bit but you are correct afaik. The division was not as strict like South Africa, but the Americo-Liberians held most of the power. Race-mixing was still discouraged, indigenous Liberians weren't allowed to vote until the 1950s, every president was either Americo-Liberian or at least had Americo-Liberian some heritage (but there was a fully indigenous VP)

The League of Nations wrote a scathing report about the Liberian government's oppression of native Liberians and yeah it was similar levels of hosed up to any European colony. And pretty lol coming from the likes of Britain and France. Also good look in the mindset of the time bc the League stresses the irony that the Americo-Liberians are from the same "racial stock" as the people they're oppressing. (Outrageous! How can you justify racist laws when you aren't actually a superior race like ours? )

selec
Sep 6, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i wouldn't be particularly surprised if the white house ended up reversing course yet again, but seems like a lot of ambiguity at the moment. biden proved pretty decisively that you can confidently declare that the other government is definitely going to do something and be very wrong

It’s pretty clear who’s driving the relationship and who is struggling like a beached whale on the sandy beach of ideology after the tide went out. Just humiliation after humiliation of the “senior partner” of the relationship. I, for one, love to see it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

Arab/Palestinian converts are much less likely to be allowed to immigrate iirc

Well dang, so much for my One Weird Trick to get to a one-state solution.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

selec posted:

It’s pretty clear who’s driving the relationship and who is struggling like a beached whale on the sandy beach of ideology after the tide went out. Just humiliation after humiliation of the “senior partner” of the relationship. I, for one, love to see it.

it's weird af to take pleasure in something that is killing tens of thousands of innocent people and displacing millions

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's weird af to take pleasure in something that is killing tens of thousands of innocent people and displacing millions

I think you're both right.

Embrace chaos. Our (US/western) order and control has only led to intensified inhumanity and hypocrisy. A giant machine that excuses and exports all the bad parts of existence somewhere else so we can be comfy because we are right and good. While we still face increasingly degrading in-humanizing hurdles to exist in society. And destroy the future for eveyr human on earth.

Listen to the editorials even in liberal places. The empire needs genocide. We need it to protect our peace and prosperity. Do you know that China and Russia and Iran are evil and they do bad things?

We have to do bad things to preserve our way of life from those who would do had things that would upset us more than the bad things we do.

I'm obviously having a normal one, and this is the same old fucjing story isn't it. But I'm sick of us existing within it, and letting it dictate our course.

If you're into a solution, if you would thrust material reality of a better way forward at me... things are so horrifically wrong that it's hard to see or even want things to be better for america or americans.

Bar ran dun have you enacted your moral man vs society conversation yet? Because I'm at the point I welcome the bill coming due. Critical disruption would be better than the shared religion of delusion we practice as beneficiaries of this.

Edit apologies for communicating this through so much USA

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 25, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BRJurgis posted:

Bar ran dun have you enacted your moral man vs society conversation yet? Because I'm at the point I welcome the bill coming due. Critical disruption would be better than the shared religion of delusion we practice as beneficiaries of this.

I’ve been too busy with work. I’ve switched my focus to the children of light and children of darkness, and will refer back to Moral Man. If I ever catch a loving break.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/disturbing-recordings-crying-infants-played-israeli-quadcopters-lure-gaza-residents-shooting

Hi israel what the gently caress. I mean even beyond the usual evil poo poo this is like seriously evil poo poo.

https://twitter.com/TameeOliveFern/status/1780000647712309374

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Really giving a new meaning to the term 'shooting and crying' there.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

At this point I'm kinda sure that Israel could create a literal death camps and rest of the world wouldn't do anything except perhaps some weak protests (or even praise them for "final solution of terrorism problem").

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Stringent posted:

Mods, can we add "Don't use more than one semi-colon in a sentence" to the rules?

might not make better D&D posts but sure helped with my C coding

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Itamar Ben Gvir (Israel's avowedly fascist security minister) wants to send Israeli "security consultants" to protect diaspora Jews worldwide. This can only go well!

https://twitter.com/itamarbengvir/status/1783150669135851555

quote:

Diaspora Jews are currently suffering from a harsh wave of antisemitism in communities and on campuses in the US, Europe, and around the world, I asked the Police Commissioner to draft a plan to aid in the creation of local response teams that will protect Jewish communities and institutions overseas, through professional tutelage, including a training program and technological solutions for security. Everything, of course, would be in cooperation with the local police and relevant authorities. Our Jewish, national, and moral obligation is to help them!

Can't wait for magavniks to deploy to Austin.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Szarrukin posted:

At this point I'm kinda sure that Israel could create a literal death camps and rest of the world wouldn't do anything except perhaps some weak protests (or even praise them for "final solution of terrorism problem").

They are literally currently doing this in preparation for their assault on Rafah. Instead of allowing civilians to move north, they're setting up a field of tents to force them into. They control all aid and are intentionally starving Palestinian civilians to death and denying them clean water and medicine.

The latest hospital mass grave (one of more than 140 mass graves so far identified) has so far had more than 300 bodies excavated from it, including handcuffed and stripped elderly women, children, and patients from the hospital.

Israel is committing a holocaust and the world is either watching or actively profiteering off it.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Lum_ posted:

Itamar Ben Gvir (Israel's avowedly fascist security minister) wants to send Israeli "security consultants" to protect diaspora Jews worldwide. This can only go well!

I love Israel talking about the worldwide danger, where IIRC there were maybe 10 injuries and no deaths in the past years from antisemitic incidents. Meanwhile in Israel 1400 died.

Whenever I talk to Israelis the first question about living in Europe is always "How's the antisemitism?". I understand it's a concern but the government and media there love blowing it up to insane proportions.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

kiminewt posted:

I love Israel talking about the worldwide danger, where IIRC there were maybe 10 injuries and no deaths in the past years from antisemitic incidents. Meanwhile in Israel 1400 died.

Whenever I talk to Israelis the first question about living in Europe is always "How's the antisemitism?". I understand it's a concern but the government and media there love blowing it up to insane proportions.

It's a lot like right wing Americans who are much more likely to be harmed by violence in the US but who like to describe places like London or Paris as if they're war zones because of ~immigrants~.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

and here i thought that the russians booby-trapping children's toys was the most hosed up thing i'd ever seen. this poo poo is beyond parody

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

might not make better D&D posts but sure helped with my C coding

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lum_ posted:

He is openly proposing the creation of armed cells of trained fighters in foreign countries.

I know we have to say this a lot. But if any other country did this, there would be a pretty strong negative reaction.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is from a ways back but it reminded me of something.

A few years ago during one escalation or another, cnn was reporting live from a bomb shelter in Tel Aviv. The reporter had a flak jacket and a combat helmet on. There was a whole family sheltering, kids crying, the whole nine. The bombing could start at “any moment.”

They identified the neighborhood in the report enough so that you could find it on Snapchat. In real time you could watch people right next door sitting outside enjoying a meal, a drink, walking around etc. the only people in that entire under siege neighborhood who gave a poo poo we’re the reporter and that family. comically misleading.

I’d compare it to Chinese state propaganda interviewing a prepper to comment on the status of America, but having a bunker of preserves sounds pretty smart right now.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

What are the chances this is real? Near zero?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neon Belly posted:

What makes you say that? Is there something about the video itself that you think gives it away as fake, or do you just have a general belief that Israel couldn't be that depraved?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Neon Belly posted:

This war is really going to have a negative impact on the credibility of crying babies for years to come

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gripweed posted:

He is openly proposing the creation of armed cells of trained fighters in foreign countries.

I know we have to say this a lot. But if any other country did this, there would be a pretty strong negative reaction.

It's Little Green Men poo poo that Russia did in Ukraine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Neon Belly posted:

Israel continually gets away with unbelievable cruelty explicitly because it's hard to believe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Young Freud posted:

It's Little Green Men poo poo that Russia did in Ukraine.

No it's way worse. The little green men were unmarked Russian troops. What Gvir is proposing is training and arming groups of locals in foreign countries.

quote:

the creation of local response teams that will protect Jewish communities and institutions overseas, through professional tutelage, including a training program and technological solutions for security.

He's openly saying "we should do a fifth column"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Why wouldn't they at this point? They've proven they're immune to international law or even meaningful consequences so why not form a paramilitary in every country to deal with the annoying citizen protests.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

~100 Emerson students got arrested for holding a peaceful protest/Passover Seder

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1783450767615037778

projecthalaxy posted:

Why wouldn't they at this point? They've proven they're immune to international law or even meaningful consequences so why not form a paramilitary in every country to deal with the annoying citizen protests.
I swear the Israeli right wing hears antisemitic conspiracy theories and they're like "drat, that's a great idea"

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 25, 2024

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Gripweed posted:

What makes you say that? Is there something about the video itself that you think gives it away as fake, or do you just have a general belief that Israel couldn't be that depraved?

The video isn’t convincing of anything other than some sounds over someone recording a steady light in the sky (being pedantic, even small rotary drones are pretty loud), and it’s suspicious that no mainstream news orgs seem to be reporting that for multiple days Israel has been deploying drones to lure civilians out to shoot them.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Neon Belly posted:

The video isn’t convincing of anything other than some sounds over someone recording a steady light in the sky (being pedantic, even small rotary drones are pretty loud), and it’s suspicious that no mainstream news orgs seem to be reporting that for multiple days Israel has been deploying drones to lure civilians out to shoot them.

It has taken days or weeks for stories we saw posted on social media to finally be confirmed by mainstream media. We have been hearing about mass graves around hospitals for more than a month now and it finally breached the NYT yesterday.

What’s your threshold for how long you’d wait to see this confirmed? Or is it just never until the right people say it back to you?

Because nothing about the story itself is out of character for the IDF. They literally crush people with bulldozers, they tie children to the front of their vehicles as human shields, what about this makes it seem out of character?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The video is far too indistinct to really serve as compelling evidence, but Euromed Monitor did gather some testimonies reporting incidents like this:
https://euromedmonitor.org/en/artic...e-Nuseirat-camp
With that said I honestly don't find it likely, and most of the testimony in this article is not particularly conclusive - just because a witness couldn't find the source of a sound while under fire at night doesn't mean the sound had to be coming from a quadcopter.

If these are Lanius drones (which Israel has been widely reported to use) I can't find any evidence that they're equipped with any kind of loudspeaker - those drones are intended for scouting and killing people, not for communication. It's completely possible that Israel has some other model of drone that's equipped with a loudspeaker to issue warnings, confuse enemies or engage in psychological warfare, but I find it hard to believe that they're engaging in this kind of deception purely because it seems like it would be pretty obvious if a voice is a recording being broadcast through a loudspeaker high in the air as opposed to a genuine event happening on the ground. See this video for an example of a drone-mounted loudspeaker - I don't think anyone hearing this would mistake this for a non-recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03-FiDj2bXw
With that said, if someone has a source that demonstrates that Israeli drones can come equipped with speakers (particularly very high quality ones) this story would become more believable.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Neon Belly posted:

Yeah real or fake this video doesnt really add much to a discussion either way. Might as well be evidence of mothman.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Israel uses loudspeaker drones constantly. In the West Bank settler militias use them to threaten Palestinian villagers. Here's a video of one in action.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/189r5d1/israeli_drone_residents_of_khillat_farrawest_bank/

And here's an account of the IDF using Mavic drones with attached loudspeakers to try to break up protests.

https://www.972mag.com/israel-talking-drone-west-bank-protests/

"No one would believe it was really a crying child because of the buzz of the drone"

That buzz is heard in Gaza *constantly* now as Israeli drones (and a few Hamas drones) are flying 24/7.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You shouldn't believe everything you see on social media, be it a distressed 'Gazan nurse' who says Hamas fighters are hiding inside her hospital or a video of a red dot. So many truly heinous acts committed by the IDF were either reported by reputable sources or documented by IDF soldiers themselves, there is hardly any reason to bring up something yet unconfirmed, especially when it looks so extraordinarily outlandish.

E: Not saying that it isn't happening, by the way, just that the presented evidence is flimsy.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 25, 2024

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

That's right, the psychotic apartheid ethnostate wouldn't do something this cruel and outlandish. It would be like if they explicitly targeted and bombed hospitals and univers... no hold on -- released clearly faked audio of supposed terrorists in order to justify... wait, wait -- executed precision strikes on journalists, aid workers, and intellectuals in order to silence any sort of... ah, no, give me a minute here -- bound and executed doctors and their patients, many of whom were children, and dump their bodies into mass graves then immediately claimed it was the Palestinians who were doing the... no hold on I'll get this just give me a minute I'll circle back on this one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How is it outlandish? “Double tap” drone strikes, where they strike a target and then strike that same site again a few minutes later to kill first responders, are undeniably real. This is the same principle.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i wouldn't put it past them to do something this cruel but I also think it is a bit outlandish. i think i'd need to see more evidence to be sure one way or another.

I don't think it's worth splitting hairs over at this moment, when there are plenty of well documented war crimes still ongoing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I am comfortable believing it is plausible until I see discrediting evidence. It seems quite reasonable that it would be a tactical adaptation made by a genocidal army which is obsessed with drones, and kept being ambushed because hearing recordings of kids playing draws its death squads like sharks to blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

i wouldn't put it past them to do something this cruel but I also think it is a bit outlandish. i think i'd need to see more evidence to be sure one way or another.

I don't think it's worth splitting hairs over at this moment, when there are plenty of well documented war crimes still ongoing.

I recall some accounts and accompanying video months ago of drones blaring the sounds of people calling for help to try and coax Palestinians out of hiding. I've had an unhealthy fixation on otg media for this conflict and it unfortunately is an already existing pattern. It is in fact worth noting because of how evil this is even within the complex weave odlf horrific war crime evil the zionist nazis have been dialing up since Oct 7.