Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I can't wait for the inevitable increase in gas prices due to "Middle Eastern instability" as if it's ever been stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Love to have a major war in the ME in an election year

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
צפו בבוש מתחיל במלחמה

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

There’s a bunch of MSC crew on that ship who found out that they had ties to Israeli when they had guns pointed in their faces, previously they only knew they had ties to the mafia.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Immunity isn't sovereignty. While the US bombing a Chinese embassy was bad, we wouldn't call it an American airstrike on China. Nor was article 5 invoked when a Russian missile impacted the German embassy in 2022 in Kyiv--because it wasn't an airstrike on German soil.

The myriad of protests that have become violent against various embassies throughout the world are bad, but they're not land invasions of sovereign foreign territory.

Generally speaking the Iran-Israel conflict has been an away game for both countries or limited to information, cyber, special (whether Mossad or IRGC) and proxy warfare within each other's borders. Strikes back and forth will be unique compared to how the conflict has been going.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I mean that Chinese Embassy bombing was directed by the CIA so c'mon.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Iran says it's done unless Israel/US does something else
https://twitter.com/Iran_UN/status/1779269993043022053

quote:

Conducted on the strength of Article 51 of the UN Charter pertaining to legitimate defense, Iran’s military action was in response to the Zionist regime’s aggression against our diplomatic premises in Damascus. The matter can be deemed concluded. However, should the Israeli regime make another mistake, Iran’s response will be considerably more severe. It is a conflict between Iran and the rogue Israeli regime, from which the U.S. MUST STAY AWAY!

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Esran posted:

So Germany increased payments to Holocaust survivors, and then Israel decreased its own payments to survivors to compensate. That turned what should have been a payment from Germany to Holocaust survivors into a payment from Germany to Israel's state budget.

Also known as the DoorDash style of tipping. Yeah, technically you can say 100% of your tip goes to the driver. If you tip $5, DD might payout $4 for the order. If you tip $10 for the same order, DD might only payout $1

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

raverrn posted:

That's a difference without a meaning. Shooting embassies has pretty much always been an act of war.

Not to um, actually here but it is a huge difference. As a general reminder an embassies are allowed to be in the country hosting it.

Embassies are not sovereign territory by any means and while they are treated as almost sacred spaces. But the act of war thing is what of those weird myths that is pervasive. Here is a list of attacks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attacks_on_diplomatic_missions and almost none of them actually escalate into war. Heck, Iran attacking the US Embassy didn't lead to the US attacking Iran and going to war.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Speaking of the UN...
https://x.com/BarakRavid/status/1779306304655249759
Suddenly, the UNSC is a legitimate organization with binding resolutions. Also, kinda funny that Israel is trying to claim that Iran is a threat to international law when they were the one's who bombed Iran's embassy.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Speaking of the UN...
https://x.com/BarakRavid/status/1779306304655249759
Suddenly, the UNSC is a legitimate organization with binding resolutions. Also, kinda funny that Israel is trying to claim that Iran is a threat to international law when they were the one's who bombed Iran's embassy.

strong "bully runs crying to teacher when somebody finally punches them" energy

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

IDF doing what they accuse others of doing.

https://twitter.com/shayan86/status/1779317154539536730

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Theres one circulating thats from a cattle-feed factory explosion in Texas with clear Spanish being spoken in the background lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Piell posted:

Iran says it's done unless Israel/US does something else

quote:

It is a conflict between Iran and the rogue Israeli regime, from which the U.S. MUST STAY AWAY!
So how does the US keep itself from getting locked into a third iraq? Ramp up aid for Israel, continue strikes on proxies, and not much else?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Seeing a lot of direct hits popping up on Twitter; Iron Dome appears significantly less effective against missiles and drones that aren't running on fertilizer.

Apparently they wait to reach the range wherein interceptors track their trajectory and fire...then activate a second booster to speed up. Nation of engineers.

https://x.com/TheCradleMedia/status/1779331384185602313

Interesting take on how this could have been avoided:

https://twitter.com/tparsi/status/1779287650513408103

As has been the case several times in the past few months, Biden's extreme Zionism might have doomed Israel to this response, if not sparked off a regional hot war.

Getting unconfirmed reports that about a billion dollars in interceptors have been exhausted in the span of a few hours, Israel's air defense seems to have weakened substantially; Lebanon and Gaza are firing a number of unintercepted rockets right now.

Iran vows a far harsher response if Israel does not accept this tit-for-tat. Which is pretty serious when this response itself has been effective and severe. Israel had a lot of time to prepare, UK, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and the US all participated in attempting to stymie the barrage, and it's still causing quite a bit of damage & chaos.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 14, 2024

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I'm seeing some videos of things escalating in the West Bank. Bulldozers knocking israeli-built walls and fences, people marching, protests, etc. It's not an Oct 7 event, for obvious reasons, but it seems hotter than the region has been in years.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Seeing a lot of direct hits popping up on Twitter; Iron Dome appears significantly less effective against missiles and drones that aren't running on fertilizer.

Apparently they wait to reach the range wherein interceptors track their trajectory and fire...then activate a second booster to speed up. Nation of engineers.
Getting unconfirmed reports that about a billion dollars in interceptors have been exhausted in the span of a few hours, Israel's air defense seems to have weakened substantially; Lebanon and Gaza are firing a number of unintercepted rockets right now.

I'm trying to dig up the skeet on Bluesky but someone posted an analysis by a former Israeli military officer regarding the Iron Dome and one of the major issues is that the missile systems can be overwhelmed by mass attacks. If an adversary throws hundreds of rockets and missiles at it, Iron Dome will simply run out of ammunition. And the type of anti-missile interceptors aren't something that's cheap or built easily.

If it is true that the Iranian drones found a way to easily bypass the Iron Dome by a secondary booster (I remain skeptical until I hear confirmation outside of Twitter, mind you, a lot of misinfo is being spread rn), then designing interceptors around that will take years plus be more expensive since you're adding another sensor and/or processor to the interceptor to calculate for the sudden vector change.

Neurolimal posted:

Iran vows a far harsher response if Israel does not accept this tit-for-tat. Which is pretty serious when this response itself has been effective and severe. Israel had a lot of time to prepare, UK, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and the US all participated in attempting to stymie the barrage, and it's still causing quite a bit of damage & chaos.

It figures that this would be a larger scale version of the Solemani response: isolating target selection to military targets and minimized casualties, but it's clear that the Iranians could easily change the parameters. It's a punch in the nose to keep someone back, but the other hand is on the gun.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Neurolimal posted:

https://x.com/TheCradleMedia/status/1779331384185602313

Interesting take on how this could have been avoided:

https://twitter.com/tparsi/status/1779287650513408103

As has been the case several times in the past few months, Biden's extreme Zionism might have doomed Israel to this response, if not sparked off a regional hot war.

This, on the face of it, seems very much like a restrained (all things considered) but emphatic final warning to gently caress off. You have to assume this was not a majority of Iran's capability expended, and if it is true it has depleted the Iron Dome defences, while also seemingly being successful at piercing them, then the capability is there to do incredible damage to Israel if things go further.

I'm inclined to believe that analysis that if the allied powers hadn't decided to put protecting a genocidal rogue state over all other concerns this would have been avoided. That we've only today reached a point where Iran is willing to strike directly and overtly with military power suggests to me that they would really rather have not gone down this route.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Young Freud posted:

I'm trying to dig up the skeet on Bluesky but someone posted an analysis by a former Israeli military officer regarding the Iron Dome and one of the major issues is that the missile systems can be overwhelmed by mass attacks.

Ive some bad news about literally every system ever designed...

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 14, 2024

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Neurolimal posted:

I'd bet that a lot of the constant but ineffective prodding of the Iron Dome system over the years was used to get enough operational data to develop these counter-countermeasures.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Sephyr posted:

I'm seeing some videos of things escalating in the West Bank. Bulldozers knocking israeli-built walls and fences, people marching, protests, etc. It's not an Oct 7 event, for obvious reasons, but it seems hotter than the region has been in years.

Somewhat unsurprising that people might start responding if, for example, settlers were marching through the area and shooting people and destroying homes under the aegis of the IDF, which has been happening.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Also known as the DoorDash style of tipping. Yeah, technically you can say 100% of your tip goes to the driver. If you tip $5, DD might payout $4 for the order. If you tip $10 for the same order, DD might only payout $1

This is totally thread unrelated but do you have a source talking about this, because I hadn't heard that they do this.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

If anything this attack demonstrated the effectiveness of aye defenses. Only a handful of missles hit out of (though this is according to Israeli media) a few hundred UAVs and missles. Only around nine reported injured so far.

Also I'm pretty sure Iron Dome isn't used for every type of interception. Biden also said that the US intercepted some.

I'm hoping this doesn't embolden Israel to also make more strikes and escalate this further, but knowing them..

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 14, 2024

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
It didn’t look or sound like large explosions so probably fairly small rockets relative to the cruise missiles we are used to seeing from the US et al.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Dandywalken posted:

Ive some bad news about literally every system ever designed...

Yeah that, uh, sounds like a bit of a design flaw.

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

Ha iron dome is a SHORAD system, it was never stopping anything you’re seeing on those videos.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They have a different system to intercept ballistic missiles called Arrow which is similar to the Patriot missile.

I saw some comments gloating about the Israelis screaming in this video watching interceptions like they were scared. But I found it chilling because, while they are scared in some sense, those screams to my ears sound like a psychopathic war scream.

https://i.imgur.com/ljs0kQd.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0T4Yw-TabE

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The absolute shortsightedness of attacking an embassy amidst growing tensions is staggering. Literally zero strategic reason to do that, pure posturing. Zero surprise that Iran retaliated, and Israel will still try to spin it as an unprovoked attack somehow.

What's the damage anyway? Did Iran actually try to hit military targets or was it more of a warning shot?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
At least some sense from Biden:

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1779353729495413060?t=Q7HPOgnWDte7vfg3EV6y7g&s=19

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Paladinus posted:

The absolute shortsightedness of attacking an embassy amidst growing tensions is staggering. Literally zero strategic reason to do that, pure posturing. Zero surprise that Iran retaliated, and Israel will still try to spin it as an unprovoked attack somehow.

What's the damage anyway? Did Iran actually try to hit military targets or was it more of a warning shot?

No govt is going to get rid of Netanyahu in the middle of a war, particularly a war with Iran...

Also, as the US (and, shamefully, the UK) response has shown, it doesn't matter what Israel does, the US will always back its folly to the hilt.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Paladinus posted:

It's not shortsighted if history has proven that you can do whatever you want and get away with it.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Warning shot, and also to gather intelligence on how Israel's missile defence infrastructure fuctions in a real combat situation.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hong XiuQuan posted:

No govt is going to get rid of Netanyahu in the middle of a war, particularly a war with Iran...

Also, as the US (and, shamefully, the UK) response has shown, it doesn't matter what Israel does, the US will always back its folly to the hilt.

The US says it will protect Israel but won't participate in any possible retaliation by Israel. Which seems to indicate to me that even America's support has its limits, especially when Netanyahu is already on thin ice for, well, everything.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Warning shot, and also to gather intelligence on how Israel's missile defence infrastructure fuctions in a real combat situation.

Based on official statements from the US and Israel, the vast majority of drones and rockets were intercepted outside of Israel's airspace. Iran, on the other hand, says they've managed to almost completely destroy an airbase that was used for the strike on the embassy, and that's all they wanted, so they don't plan more attacks. The countries who were on the way weren't particularly happy that a bunch of drones and rockets suddenly appeared in their airspace, so Iran probably takes that into account, too.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Paladinus posted:

The US says it will protect Israel but won't participate in any possible retaliation by Israel. Which seems to indicate to me that even America's support has its limits, especially when Netanyahu is already on thin ice for, well, everything.

I'm sure that American support has some kind of hypothetical limit, but in what way is Netanyahu "on thin ice"? He's getting everything he wants, and the US continues handing him money and bombs.

Considering the Biden administration's behavior, and how many times Netanyahu has crossed lines and the response has been a verbal shrug, any noises Biden makes about being unhappy with Netanyahu should be considered to be PR for domestic consumption.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but there's only so many times people can say "This time surely he has gone too far" before it starts sounding like cope.

Edit:

Since we were talking about German support for Israel recently: Nicaragua has gone to the ICJ to get Germany to stop sending weapons to Israel.

In terms of the impact this might have, Swedish research shows that 99% of Israeli weapons imports come from either the US or Germany, and a Times of Israel article says most Israeli military aircraft are manufactured outside Israel and require imported components to maintain.

Stopping weapons transfers from Germany (and the US) would make it much harder for Israel to bomb anyone, including Gaza. I don't think it's likely this will happen, but I think it's worth knowing the extent to which Israel depends on others, when talking about American and German complicity in Israel's crimes.

Esran fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 14, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Paladinus posted:

It’s a very clear strategic reason. Israel is trying to provoke an escalation that will lead to the US directly intervening on their behalf. Israel believes that the US will intervene militarily on their behalf if they open up a front with Iran which they may not be wrong about though I personally desperately hope they are. They also widely still believe in the inherent racial/cultural superiority of their military forces over Arab forces and Iran due to the myths around the IDF in the past so they don’t think they’re risking that much and think that escalating will allow them to help get over the humiliation they’ve suffered in Gaza.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Frankly it would be irrational of them not to abuse the apparently unconditional support they get from the US.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

These article are farcical at this point. "Biden officials behind the scenes are big peeved this time about Israel's latest deranged action". When's the next multi-billion dollar arms transfer coming?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Israel attacked the Iranian consulate in Damascus, which international law dictates is Iranian territory. Iran responded in a restrained way, carrying out limited strikes on military targets in Israel.

Sure seems like legitimate self defense. Or does Iran not have a right to defend itself?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Red and Black posted:

Israel attacked the Iranian consulate in Damascus, which international law dictates is Iranian territory. Iran responded in a restrained way, carrying out limited strikes on military targets in Israel.

Sure seems like legitimate self defense. Or does Iran not have a right to defend itself?

Has anyone argued otherwise here?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just FYI there are different systems of missile defense that target different classes of missiles and in different phases of their flights. It's not a failure of the Iron Dome system if it is incapable of defending against something that it wasn't designed for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Iran absolutely did have a right to respond, but a direct attack on Israel proper is an escalation that puts us in uncharted territory. It's likely to lead to at the very least a strike in kind from Israel, which dramatically increases the chance of a full war.

99pct of germs posted:

These article are farcical at this point. "Biden officials behind the scenes are big peeved this time about Israel's latest deranged action". When's the next multi-billion dollar arms transfer coming?
There's a difference between continuing to sell arms and actively assisting/leading a counterattack on Iran. It's good to hear that Biden is not prepared to do the latter, although if the situation seriously escalates I could imagine that changing.