Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

The IDF has admitted to losing ~20 KIA and ~260 wounded in Gaza (which can be a range anywhere from being treated with first aid to 'technically alive') so clearly the weaponry being used against Israeli armor is effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Paladinus posted:

The question is how much ammo do Hamas have and what losses do they suffer? If, unlike previous incursions, the IDF intend to 'finish the job' even if it costs them several thousand soldiers, provided Hamas' allies don't try to invade Israel, it's not like Hamas can win a war of attrition. ~20 KIA may sound dramatic for the usually casualty-averse IDF, but objectively it's a drop in the ocean. Also, it looks like Israel's wounded can be quickly moved to hospitals inside of Israel. If the IDF can also extract and repair damaged tanks, unless a tank is destroyed completely, even if Hamas damage 60 tanks a month, Israel could be able to rotate them for years on end. There is simply no way for Hamas to effectively Israel's military infrastructure or disrupt their logistics with the weapons they have, while they also don't have much infrastructure beyond the improvised assembly lines for their cheap rockets and, well, the tunnels.

If you're trying to get into hypotheticals, Israel's political will and economy will collapse before that point, they don't have the ability to sustain thousands of losses. Military operations do not exist in a vacuum.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So you agree that Hamas has no power to seriously affect idf, as it suffers minuscule casualties, and that a big cool explosion, filmed, doesn’t actually mean anything but tinnitus happened inside?

Where the hell did you get that impression from my post?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

It's a bad look when you say rocket attacks against a Turkish vessel - and the kidnapping of South Korean sailors - were not "serious moves", when by your own description they've launched strikingly similar attacks on Saudi vessels.

You do realize that they were at war with Saudi Arabia from 2015 to a cease fire in 2022 right? A Turkish ship getting attacked leaving a Saudi port in a war zone is an easy mistake, not piracy. Likewise, briefly detaining two South Korean ships and then releasing them is also not piracy. Both actions actually conform to expected behaviors by belligerents. In fact, compared to the West's own history of warfare involving freight shipping, its very restrained.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

PE: saw your post, can't immediately look things up and the my knowledge of pre-2023 Houthi piracy is secondhand recollection anyway, consider my implication of historical piracy withdrawn unless I provide evidence otherwise.

I still maintain that if they loot cargo or ransom ships during the current blockade that is both understandable and not a "we are acting exclusively out of solidarity" look :colbert:

You seem to be very insistent on the assertion that they were engaging in "piracy" while also ignoring that they were embroiled in a regional war for almost the entire past decade. Literally the only examples of 'piracy' during that time period that have been posted ITT were against ships operating under enemy flag and/or operating out of enemy ports.

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Is that what we are calling attacks on civilians now? Easy mistakes? Holy loving poo poo.

“Expected behaviour of belligerents” does not mean we have to accept them launching attacks against civilians. Just loving kill me lol.

I have some really bad news for you about the entire history of naval warfare and accepted practices. poo poo, even the Israeli excuse for shooting up the USS Liberty and killing 34 American sailors was that they thought it was an Egyptian freighter.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

quote:

Ambrey assessed that the vessel was mistakenly targeted based on outdated publicly available information linking the vessel to the United Kingdom.

"This appeared to be five months old but was still listed as UK-affiliated on a public maritime database," the report said.

Mistakes happen in war zones, as the Israelis are well aware given their long and checkered history with mistaking hospitals, schools, journalists, children, and even their own hostages as valid targets.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Attacking a "UK-affiliated" (whatever that means) ship would still contradict the claim that the Houthis are only targeting Israeli-affiliated ships.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the UK is affiliated with Israel. they are allies.

Also the ship was attacked on Friday, after the UK and US bombed targets in Yemen and thus kicking off a state of hostility between the two sides. The British are well aware that in wars and conflict, one generally goes after the shipping of hostile powers.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Ograbme posted:

Doenitz waking up one day to find out he's been appointed the new Calm Hitler

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

kiminewt posted:

If anything this attack demonstrated the effectiveness of aye defenses. Only a handful of missles hit out of (though this is according to Israeli media) a few hundred UAVs and missles. Only around nine reported injured so far.

Also I'm pretty sure Iron Dome isn't used for every type of interception. Biden also said that the US intercepted some.

I'm hoping this doesn't embolden Israel to also make more strikes and escalate this further, but knowing them..

Keep in mind that the supposedly high interception rate is after the Israelis had days of preparation and a full six hours of warning after initial launches, along with participation by Jordan, the US, and UK in interceptions and Iranian missiles still got through to targets. They blew through a billion dollars worth of interceptors in a single night and the IDF doesn't have a limitless supply of those. In a full scale attack, this would likely be a far different scenario with cruise and ballistic missiles going after SAM sites and radars first to put holes in air defense coverage for later waves of drones and more missiles to exploit. This was almost a best case scenario for the IDF, but the bloodthirsty morons who run their government will probably think it means they're invincible and double down on escalating the situation now.